ADVERTISEMENT

NCS D2 Bracket

Lots of upset possibilities here. #4-#8 better be careful! Not that some of these would even be considered upsets. Just a monster of a bracket.

#4 Alameda gets #13 CN
#5 Acalanes gets #12 Washington
#6 De Anza gets #11 Newark
#7 Redwood gets #10 Monty
#8 Tam gets #9 Windsor

Reactions: bella123
Lots of upset possibilities here. #4-#8 better be careful! Not that some of these would even be considered upsets. Just a monster of a bracket.

#4 Alameda gets #13 CN
#5 Acalanes gets #12 Washington
#6 De Anza gets #11 Newark
#7 Redwood gets #10 Monty
#8 Tam gets #9 Windsor

Would love to take CN here but Alameda is real STRONG. I'd take CN over Acalanes and De Anza in an upset special if that were the case. Here's what I'm going with:

Alameda
Acalanes
De Anza
Montgomery
Windsor

Windsor having seen Tam once is a big advantage for them. Their coaching staff does a great job of focusing on the little things and paying attention to the details. They'll come up with a very specific and focused defensive game plan on Tuesday night that will frustrate and confuse Tam.

D3 is really bad. I mean the worse by far top to bottom.
I might make that Alameda game. They look like they've played a good pre season schedule (although they play in a horrible league).

Donnie I like your picks. I think Newman will take Alameda the distance but the size of Alameda looks big and could be the deciding factor. Alameda was good last year and got bounced first game by Tam. You never know.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
D3 is really bad. I mean the worse by far top to bottom.
I might make that Alameda game. They look like they've played a good pre season schedule (although they play in a horrible league).

Donnie I like your picks. I think Newman will take Alameda the distance but the size of Alameda looks big and could be the deciding factor. Alameda was good last year and got bounced first game by Tam. You never know.

If Newman can get by Alameda I for sure like them winning their round 2 match up over Acalanes or Washington.

Reactions: olineUno
Welp, I did say I'd likely be wrong, but here's reality vs. my predictions:

1 - Bishop O'Dowd (as predicted)
2 - Las Lomas (as predicted)
3 - Moreau (predicted Alameda)
4 - Alameda (predicted Windsor)
5 - Acalanes (predicted Moreau)
6 - DeAnza (predicted Montgomery)
7 - Redwood (predicted Acalanes)
8 - Tamalpais (predicted DeAnza)
9 - Windsor (predicted Redwood)
10 - Montgomery (predicted Cardinal Newman)
11 - Newark (predicted Northgate)
12 - Washington (predicted Tamalpais)
13 - Cardinal Newman (predicted Newark)
14 - San Lorenzo (as predicted)
15 - Northgate (predicted Washington)
16 - Mission San Jose (as predicted)

I'm surprised at how little respect the NBL got, especially after Monty made a run as a 7 seed last year, and holy cow Northgate falling all the way to a 15 seed (behind the 4th place team in the 'awful' MVAL) seems ridiculously harsh.

As for predictions, it feels like a BOD/Las Lomas final is inevitable, and I wouldn't be shocked with an all-chalk semifinals. That said, I think just about anybody in that 5-12 range could come out of the first round. I have a sneaking suspicion Newark takes down DeAnza and Monty takes down Redwood.

I'm going to be really fascinated to see how the whole "Norcal Competitive Equity" thing is going to play out with respect to these playoffs. If it's a total fustercluck, I'd be willing to bet we'll have an NCS Open as soon as next year.

Reactions: NorCalScout
Welp, I did say I'd likely be wrong, but here's reality vs. my predictions:

1 - Bishop O'Dowd (as predicted)
2 - Las Lomas (as predicted)
3 - Moreau (predicted Alameda)
4 - Alameda (predicted Windsor)
5 - Acalanes (predicted Moreau)
6 - DeAnza (predicted Montgomery)
7 - Redwood (predicted Acalanes)
8 - Tamalpais (predicted DeAnza)
9 - Windsor (predicted Redwood)
10 - Montgomery (predicted Cardinal Newman)
11 - Newark (predicted Northgate)
12 - Washington (predicted Tamalpais)
13 - Cardinal Newman (predicted Newark)
14 - San Lorenzo (as predicted)
15 - Northgate (predicted Washington)
16 - Mission San Jose (as predicted)

I'm surprised at how little respect the NBL got, especially after Monty made a run as a 7 seed last year, and holy cow Northgate falling all the way to a 15 seed (behind the 4th place team in the 'awful' MVAL) seems ridiculously harsh.

As for predictions, it feels like a BOD/Las Lomas final is inevitable, and I wouldn't be shocked with an all-chalk semifinals. That said, I think just about anybody in that 5-12 range could come out of the first round. I have a sneaking suspicion Newark takes down DeAnza and Monty takes down Redwood.

I'm going to be really fascinated to see how the whole "Norcal Competitive Equity" thing is going to play out with respect to these playoffs. If it's a total fustercluck, I'd be willing to bet we'll have an NCS Open as soon as next year.
Well NCS competitive equity experiment is absolutely terrible so I’m going to think norcal one will not be very good either.
Salesian goes from 4 to 3 still dominating, O’Dowd 3 to 2 dominating. And the. The teams that move up to 1 just don’t have the student population to get those extra players. Just makes no sense at all. But hey Keep going NCS.

I think the NBL got disrespected BUT that being said its their own fault as their SOS was terrible. When you play Elsie Allen(for example) as a preseason game BY CHOICE then you deserve to be penalized. GO PLAY SOMEBODY! Play a bunch of softies to run up a gawdy record then you get what you get.

That being said the NBL was a dogfight at the top and the games between CN, Monty and Windsor at the end will certainly help each team to prepare for playoff intensity.

And with competitve equity in Norcals IF any of the 3 can get to Norcals then their low NCS seedings tells me they will get a REALLY favorable/low division placing in Norcals. Which of course may lead to a deep Norcal run .

Reactions: UncleYacht
Get rid of competitive equity and do an open section tournament like CCS... this stuff isn’t rocket science. That protects smaller/public schools who are not perennial powers but have a few good years. It also puts the top teams into the open.. auto bid for nor cal and the top 2-4 probably go open nor cal anyway. It’s not difficult. NCS making stuff too complicated.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
An open NCS this year would have been off the hook!
I’m just saying... really every year it would be a great tournament. Plus it gets those teams ready for open nor cal. And makes sure you’re taking the top teams not a 18-10 team as they have in the past. Sorry 18-10 ish is not an open team worth record.. not disrespect to the teams in D3... but will Salesian be challenged at all over next two weeks..

Has anyone seen Deanza play? They have a 23-3 record but their resume inst exactly littered with top-tier opponents.

Also, how does the NCS select home games? Why it is so many higher-ranked teams need to go on the road? is that simply a matter of playing in better venues?

Has anyone seen Deanza play? They have a 23-3 record but their resume inst exactly littered with top-tier opponents.

Also, how does the NCS select home games? Why it is so many higher-ranked teams need to go on the road? is that simply a matter of playing in better venues?
League champs get a home game so if a lower seed won their crappy league and they play a higher seed who didn't win their league then the lower seed hosts. IE: see NCS D4 where the 15 seed Roseland Prep is hosting the 2 seed, SPSV....

According to Maxpreps, Deanza went 10-0 in their league, and Newark didnt win theirs, but Newark is playing at home?

According to Maxpreps, Deanza went 10-0 in their league, and Newark didnt win theirs, but Newark is playing at home?

Good point. DeAnza must have an issue or conflict with their gym tonight, as they are the higher seed and Newark didn’t win their league.

Yeah just seems odd to play al year and try to get a home court advantage and then give it up to a lower-ranked team. Same with Logan, who were co-champs and having to travel to Amador Valley.

Yeah just seems odd to play al year and try to get a home court advantage and then give it up to a lower-ranked team. Same with Logan, who were co-champs and having to travel to Amador Valley.

At least AV earned it with a league championship. It appears Newark just lucked into the home court advantage (although their gym is awesome).

I think the NBL got disrespected BUT that being said its their own fault as their SOS was terrible. When you play Elsie Allen(for example) as a preseason game BY CHOICE then you deserve to be penalized. GO PLAY SOMEBODY! Play a bunch of softies to run up a gawdy record then you get what you get.

That being said the NBL was a dogfight at the top and the games between CN, Monty and Windsor at the end will certainly help each team to prepare for playoff intensity.

And with competitve equity in Norcals IF any of the 3 can get to Norcals then their low NCS seedings tells me they will get a REALLY favorable/low division placing in Norcals. Which of course may lead to a deep Norcal run .

I like the NBL to pull off a trifecta of upsets tonight. You like any upsets potentially? And I do agree, they got no love. Always been a little east bay bias it seems.

I like the NBL to pull off a trifecta of upsets tonight. You like any upsets potentially? And I do agree, they got no love. Always been a little east bay bias it seems.

I do think the NBL was underseeded this year, but I think it was an overcorrection to last year when they were overseeded. Last year, they clearly overseeded CN (at 3) and Windsor (at 8), and both ended up losing to lower seeds. If I'm being honest, I think Monty stands the best chance at pulling an upset tonight of the 3 NBL schools. I think the best shot at an upset overall is Newark (at home, which I didn't even notice the first time I saw the brackets!) vs. DeAnza.

I do think the NBL was underseeded this year, but I think it was an overcorrection to last year when they were overseeded. Last year, they clearly overseeded CN (at 3) and Windsor (at 8), and both ended up losing to lower seeds. If I'm being honest, I think Monty stands the best chance at pulling an upset tonight of the 3 NBL schools. I think the best shot at an upset overall is Newark (at home, which I didn't even notice the first time I saw the brackets!) vs. DeAnza.

Lotta weird scenarios playing out.

According to Twitter, Acalanes won (though if they beat Ukiah, I think Washington would have a legitimate protest!). If so, for all of our talking about this being a blood bath, the home team will have won each first round game...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT