ADVERTISEMENT

New era at Stanford '17

I am personally sad about this. Our family is sad about it. But 9 deserves some time to travel the world. Hopefully he can allow himself to do that along with his wonderful wife, Susan. Singularly most focused person I have ever met.

I am personally sad about this. Our family is sad about it. But 9 deserves some time to travel the world. Hopefully he can allow himself to do that along with his wonderful wife, Susan. Singularly most focused person I have ever met.
ATC, do you have a favorite to take over this job?

ATC, do you have a favorite to take over this job?

I don't. My thought is it will be someone with Stanford ties. Ex players now head coaches (only 2 of those I can think of), ex asst. coach? That list isn't too long though.

Someone else guessed (on another site) that the Columbia coach may be a candidate? Makes some sense I suppose.

One would have to think Ryan Garko would be a dark horse candidate with his limited experience. Only one year on the farm as an assistant and maybe one or two years managing the AA Drillers. He was a good recruiter though.

One would have to think Ryan Garko would be a dark horse candidate with his limited experience. Only one year on the farm as an assistant and maybe one or two years managing the AA Drillers. He was a good recruiter though.

I understand the thoughts on Garko but don't you think if he was interested he would have stuck around on the staff a little longer?

Anyone know who San Jose State is looking at to fill their opening?

Is there a college baseball sight I can look at to see this kind of stuff? The old Rivals site is dead, isn't it?

I've seen at least one other person mention Checketts. I would be surprised, but who knows? Must be a weird decision for recruits this year.

Hmmmm.... maybe my 2017 can sneak in. Or just show up and act like Marquess told him to? Nah, that would only work in the movies. And one year too early anyway.

Pasting tweet from UCSB

UCSB and @UCSB_Baseball HC Andrew Checketts agree to multi-year extension through 2022. More info Monday. #chomaha

Texas seemed to have lots of trouble getting people interested in their job. Ultimately they hired a very good coach IMO - the Tulane coach.

The Stanford job isn't quite the job it was 10 years ago - I am expecting they will be hiring either an alum or someone on the rise at a smaller program. Yes, UCSB would be a 'smaller program' despite their recent success, but the recent success may have suddenly made Checketts too big for Stanford? I'm thinking more likely Stanford will get someone not so much in the spotlight. I still think the Columbia coach is one of the 'good guesses' - but so is alum David Esquer.

Reactions: calm62
I have not heard anything. Not that I would. But it's got to be looking like a better job right now with them back at the top of the Pac12 and probably going to host a regional. Saw them play last weekend. They have some arms!

Stanford benefactor John Arrillaga may have his heart broken. He wants AJ Hinch very bad. His second choice is Mike Aldrete. I think Mr. Arrillaga may be 0 for two on his two choices because Hinch is guiding the Astros and I don't see Aldrete leaving MLB.

Rusty Filter will be given respectful consideration. I think Garko is a long shot because 9 did not want him to leave after that one year.

As odd as it sounds or maybe not so odd, the smart money is on Dave Esquer Head Coach of CAL.

Stanford benefactor John Arrillaga may have his heart broken. He wants AJ Hinch very bad. His second choice is Mike Aldrete. I think Mr. Arrillaga may be 0 for two on his two choices because Hinch is guiding the Astros and I don't see Aldrete leaving MLB.

Rusty Filter will be given respectful consideration. I think Garko is a long shot because 9 did not want him to leave after that one year.

As odd as it sounds or maybe not so odd, the smart money is on Dave Esquer Head Coach of CAL.

I know he's a grad, but he'd got to be pretty entrenched where he is by now, plus he's got a really good freshman class as well as a great 2017 recruit class. I believe that Cal's got an excellent chance to get to the CWS in the next two years.

I know he's a grad, but he'd got to be pretty entrenched where he is by now, plus he's got a really good freshman class as well as a great 2017 recruit class. I believe that Cal's got an excellent chance to get to the CWS in the next two years.

That is very true but deep down Dave will never forget the crock of lies that Sandy Barbour told him as well as Jeff Kent when she had decided that Baseball was going under. That memory will never go away in spite of the amazing memories of them saving the program and advancing in post season. I hope you are right Quaffer, but I just laid some cash on Esquer wearing Cardinal.

Reactions: Quaffer
That is very true but deep down Dave will never forget the crock of lies that Sandy Barbour told him as well as Jeff Kent when she had decided that Baseball was going under. That memory will never go away in spite of the amazing memories of them saving the program and advancing in post season. I hope you are right Quaffer, but I just laid some cash on Esquer wearing Cardinal.

Great coach I can see him wearing Cardinal again.

Unlike POTUS nobody has let out a tweet regarding the next Head Coaches name? Will the next head coach be called the "Clarke and Elizabeth Nelson Director of Baseball" ?

A non-experts guess: (1) Esquer (2) Checketts (3) Greg Moore (4) Garko (5) Erik Bakich

What are you completely nuts category ----> Mark O'Brien/Dave Nakama - Darin Erstad - Mike Aldrete - AJ Hinch

Looks like a good list. I'll add one name. I'm totally ignorant so I don't know if he fits in the wild guess category or the completely nuts category:

Mark Machtolf

Reactions: BKWRDKUROUT
Don Barbara - Formerly UOP
Dan Hubbs - USC
Troy Nakamura - USF

Please god no category: Ed Sprague

Too bad for Barbara he's connected at the hip to Sprague while at UOP. Their approach to looking at BA talent was ho-hum at best.

Too bad for Barbara he's connected at the hip to Sprague while at UOP. Their approach to looking at BA talent was ho-hum at best.

It was connected for awhile until Sprague fired Barbara. I believe Barbara would be a great HC.

Small sample size; zero interest in many EB kids. At least Moore and Nak would send replies.

atcshark, I believe you were the first on the thread to name Esquer...

I've known David since we were teens at Palma (although haven't seen him in years). I'm a few years older but he was in my brothers class and we played some ball. Truly a great person and he basically saved Cal's baseball program. As a Stanford alumni and believe he got the game winning hit in the College World Series, Stanford is his college home. I'm sure he is sad leaving the Cal program and the players he coached, but he is a Cardinal. He will probably get a great amount of support to take the program further. Good luck. Will probably attend more Stanford games since my office is 10 minutes away from the field.

I've known David since we were teens at Palma (although haven't seen him in years). I'm a few years older but he was in my brothers class and we played some ball. Truly a great person and he basically saved Cal's baseball program. As a Stanford alumni and believe he got the game winning hit in the College World Series, Stanford is his college home. I'm sure he is sad leaving the Cal program and the players he coached, but he is a Cardinal. He will probably get a great amount of support to take the program further. Good luck. Will probably attend more Stanford games since my office is 10 minutes away from the field.

Hopefully Rusty Filter the former Cardinal pitching coach lands a job somewhere. Stanford's #1 was Bakich but their number 2 was Kirk Saarloos from TCU. The two Stanford assistants - if they can co-exist with the CAL Pitching Coach - then I think it may be a smooth transition. Stanford's Jon Karcich is a quality assistant coach, former Santa Clara Bronco and Serra HS player, drafted by Angels.

Reactions: calm62
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT