ADVERTISEMENT

Newman KO'd at home by 6 seed!

Agapbliitz

Seasoned Veteran
Feb 7, 2017
Newman knocked out at home by 6 seed Tam! Newman wasn't prepared and the lack of consistent scheduling and modern coaching killed them. When the toughest team you have played all year is in the beginning of the section playoffs you are wrong! Go Monty!

I think CN got a great draw, not having to play O'Dowd or Moreau until late, Tam in second round instead of Montgomery

Tamalpais got a very generous 6 seed and because of that they are on the weaker half of the bracket. Unfortunately I don't see them getting past Newman so they will be gone after tomorrow.

If their coach got them out of Sonoma County in the pre-season, maybe some of the players wouldn't be scared when they see athletic boys of color. Just sayin'. So Co ball is charmin!

just some of the great quotes in regards to this game from the experts! Couldn't have said it better myself. Bonfigli joins Taylor in the stands for the rest of the playoffs after being knocked out at home against a lesser seed. Monty goes on the road with a fairly new coach and gets another upset win for the second week in a row! Go Monty! I think we can all agree the So Co talent pool has shrunken as of late. There are only a few coaches out there that can get the best out of their players. We know who they are and who they arent!

Tiedeman is hardly a new coach. He was in diapers shagging balls for me and my buddies growing up. Kid has been around basketball since birth and has the greatest basketball family in the history of sonoma county. Don't confused age with knowledge.

Newman got beat by a better team last night. There scheduling didn't help but was it the reason they lost? Its the playoffs you just never know. A week ago Newman dominated Monty and appeared to be heading in the right direction. Monty goes on the road and beats a very good #2 LL. Go figure that out.

I will say this. If monty can keep scores in the 40-50 range and dictate tempo they will not be an easy out for anybody. Kids that aren't use to that pace get frustrated quickly.

Tiedeman is hardly a new coach

He is a second year head coach. Taylor has been around for much longer and we all know Bonfigli has been milking the Lakes and Villes for 30 plus years. That guy probably has 400 wins against division 5 teams

Newman got beat by a better team last night. There scheduling didn't help but was it the reason they lost?

Got beat by a better team? thats not what people on this board were saying this week. and yes the scheduling was the reason they lost. this was the best team they played all year and it was in the playoffs! ha!

Agap - CN did still have a great draw. They just did not win. I would doubt they weren't prepared. We have all talked about the Lakes, Valleys and Villes but what's Fig's record against NBL opponents , specifically Montgomery since he's been back?

Wine- Exactly. They lost a game. Played bad. Couldn't contain penetration and Tam made some big shots and plays. Hats off to them. But Newman is the same team that just demolished a very good Monty team in the NBL champ game at SRJC.

Agap - CN did still have a great draw. They just did not win. I would doubt they weren't prepared. We have all talked about the Lakes, Valleys and Villes but what's Fig's record against NBL opponents , specifically Montgomery since he's been back?
so what's more important? NBL win totals and chasing win numbers or actual section playoff wins? That's like saying regular season records matter more than the post season. lets face it Bonfigili wasn;t preapred and he didn't prepare his kids by refusing to play anyone outside of this area. add that to the fact he pulled a shady move trying to move to D2 for an easier ride to avoid the big privates in d4. that is a joke my friend and you know it. Go monty!

winetot- both your squads and super coaches got ousted at home early. This seems to be becoming a matter. Care to elaborate?

so what's more important? NBL win totals and chasing win numbers or actual section playoff wins? That's like saying regular season records matter more than the post season. lets face it Bonfigili wasn;t preapred and he didn't prepare his kids by refusing to play anyone outside of this area. add that to the fact he pulled a shady move trying to move to D2 for an easier ride to avoid the big privates in d4. that is a joke my friend and you know it. Go monty!

I'm not sure I'd go that far. While St. Joe's and SPSV are certainly strong schools, I don't think willfully going into a D2 with BOD and Moreau is necessarily "an easier ride." Both have been in the open multiple times while neither St. Joe's nor SPSV have ever been. I really don't understand why they moved up, but I don't think you can make the argument that it's an easier ride. Frankly, it's an easier path to Norcal in D4, especially since it looks like St. Joe's will go up (and can't rule out SPSV going up this year either).

I'm not sure I'd go that far. While St. Joe's and SPSV are certainly strong schools, I don't think willfully going into a D2 with BOD and Moreau is necessarily "an easier ride." Both have been in the open multiple times while neither St. Joe's nor SPSV have ever been. I really don't understand why they moved up, but I don't think you can make the argument that it's an easier ride. Frankly, it's an easier path to Norcal in D4, especially since it looks like St. Joe's will go up (and can't rule out SPSV going up this year either).
i mean cmon do you like Bonfigli is going to challenge himself and move up to a tougher division when he won't even play anyone outside the area to pad his win total? cmon he did this because he thought at one point this was an easier ride. ironic that it backfired ha!

Noknight- Bingo. If anything the D2 move was lot harder not only in NCS but also at Norcal level. Newman would have been a lock for D4 norcal and most likely a good seed especially when St Joes gets pulled into the open. In hindsight probably not the best move for Newman. I don't know what the rational was here.

Newman has one plenty of section and norcal games under bonfigli. Look at the banners hanging in the gym. Those aren't free.

I've also said it all year long. Go see the girls play if you want to see a champ team at Newman. Could be the best team ever in that area. I would argue it.

Noknight- Bingo. If anything the D2 move was lot harder not only in NCS but also at Norcal level. Newman would have been a lock for D4 norcal and most likely a good seed especially when St Joes gets pulled into the open. In hindsight probably not the best move for Newman. I don't know what the rational was here.

Newman has one plenty of section and norcal games under bonfigli. Look at the banners hanging in the gym. Those aren't free.

I've also said it all year long. Go see the girls play if you want to see a champ team at Newman. Could be the best team ever in that area. I would argue it.
Yes banners and yes lots of wins. But a majority in D4 against lesser competition. he had some good teams in the past but time has caught up with him. Now that the competition in the area is awful he still refuses to play anyone outside the area. he got away with that 20 years ago but it wont work anymore and it has shown. who runs a slow down offense now? i mean cmon man!

let be honest here bonfigli made it to the state title game twice and choked both times. Fitz and another one year and done head coach also made a state title game. bonfiglis tenure allowed him to stack lots of wins without a whole lot of nothing outside the NBL. my fav story about newman is in between fitz and figs when the dude takes the team to the state title game and gets fired after the game due to parents mad about playing time. Dude coaches for a year and makes the state title game and it wasnt good enough! yet bonfigli gets ousted in the 2nd round against a mediocre Tam team and nobody bats an eye. what shame!

i mean cmon do you like Bonfigli is going to challenge himself and move up to a tougher division when he won't even play anyone outside the area to pad his win total? cmon he did this because he thought at one point this was an easier ride. ironic that it backfired ha!

Like others have said, the decision to go from D4 to D2 was a real head scratcher. Jeez, even a move to D3 would have made more sense (Salesian is the only beast there, and also a candidate to getting called up). But I don't think there's any reasonable way to look at D2, D3 and D4 and say "hey, D2 is the easiest route to Norcals or a state title."

Regardless the reason, CN's season is now over despite having been gifted a high seed (no way Moreau gets an open bid). It almost certainly wouldn't be over had they not petitioned up. Somebody needs to have the stones to make him answer for this and ensure it doesn't happen again.

Like others have said, the decision to go from D4 to D2 was a real head scratcher. Jeez, even a move to D3 would have made more sense (Salesian is the only beast there, and also a candidate to getting called up). But I don't think there's any reasonable way to look at D2, D3 and D4 and say "hey, D2 is the easiest route to Norcals or a state title."

Regardless the reason, CN's season is now over despite having been gifted a high seed (no way Moreau gets an open bid). It almost certainly wouldn't be over had they not petitioned up. Somebody needs to have the stones to make him answer for this and ensure it doesn't happen again.
oh rest assured they are never moving up again. D4 against lakes, vills, valley's and saints it is!

The fact that the NBL is gone down hill so hard in the last 5 years should cement their feet in D4 for the forseeable future

Agapbliitz,
Why do you hate Newman so much? First it was Travis Taylor (Newman grad) that you totally misrepresented everything you said personally about him. He was one of the best basketball coaches my son has ever had. Now it's Newman's basketball team and Bonfigli...you continually are spewing off negative, prejudicial and demeaning comments while you hide behind your computer. If you truly believed and stood by your convictions you would use your real name and stop being such a COWARD! You are so ignorant and self-centered that you don't even realize how bad you are making Montgomery high school basketball program look!

So Newman football plays in D4 and gets ripped for not moving up? Newman hoops moves up to D2 and gets ripped for moving up divisions? So move up, stay down, can't please everyone.

So Newman football plays in D4 and gets ripped for not moving up? Newman hoops moves up to D2 and gets ripped for moving up divisions? So move up, stay down, can't please everyone.

Since CN had always played up in football in the past, the choice not to move up this year when they had a good team was seen by many as moving down.

Wow - talk about apples and oranges! CN football is coming off multiple NCS title game appearances in D4 after dropping back down from D3. CN basketball was an 8 seed in D4 last year (that didn't even include St. Joe's, who used to get ripped regularly for refusing to move up from D5), so it's not like they were moving up because of dominance at the lower levels. And on top of that, they petitioned up not one, but TWO divisions. It really makes no sense, but neither does your comparison of CN football and basketball.

Ripped because of why they moved up. If they had legitimate intentions which everyone knows they don't it would be ok.

CN preseason schedule did not prepare them for the sections. CN had no answer for the length of Tam.
It would have been better for CN to go 20-8 and get exposed in a few more losses (so the flaws could have been corrected ) than to go 25-3 with a tissue soft schedule.
I thought Bonfigli DID NOT have the kids scouted/prepared for the game as CN continually missed the defensive drop after TAM was able to turn the corner offensively. It almost looks to me like Bonfigli is tired. He used to be a stickler for doing the little things right and I have not seen any of that this year. The lack of doing the little things correctly was masked by the softer schedule.

I think the program is all about the wrong things...During the pregame announcements the announcer mentioned Bonfiglis win total. Seriously???
IMO the program/coaching staff is all about Bonfigli getting his wins at this point.

Ironically, if CN had stayed in D4 instead of opting up to "the easier path" in D2 theyd probably still be playing.

BUT Bonfiglis ego would never had allowed his boys team to share the spotlight with the girls tonight. (he hates the girls program) Especially if the boys had to open for them.

He does need to answer for why he opted up. And quite frankly he needs to answer for why he doesn't schedule better.

He's got a long offseason, I assume the heats coming his way.

Last edited:
Agapbliitz,
Why do you hate Newman so much? First it was Travis Taylor (Newman grad) that you totally misrepresented everything you said personally about him. He was one of the best basketball coaches my son has ever had. Now it's Newman's basketball team and Bonfigli...you continually are spewing off negative, prejudicial and demeaning comments while you hide behind your computer. If you truly believed and stood by your convictions you would use your real name and stop being such a COWARD! You are so ignorant and self-centered that you don't even realize how bad you are making Montgomery high school basketball program look!
Wow that was mean. Instead of trying to figure out who i am why don't you address my concerns based on facts. Don't be mad because the talent at Windsor and CN has erroded ha!

You claim that these coaches are so great yet they don't produce except for meaningless wins in a terrible league.

dont get mad at me because your sons football team got torched by a better private school in valley christian ha!

Last edited:
For the record....

D4 in the NCS has historically been arguably the toughest division in (boys and girls) basketball with OPEN teams EVERY year, and sometimes multiple teams. Mainly because D4 is typically the private school level.

D2 has been historically the softest. (mostly public school level)

Now with the NCS doing competitive equity that has and will continue to change as the better programs will start to move up the section division ladder.

For the record....

D4 in the NCS has historically been arguably the toughest division in (boys and girls) basketball with OPEN teams EVERY year, and sometimes multiple teams. Mainly because D4 is typically the private school level.

Now with the NCS doing competitive equity that has and will continue to change as the better programs will start to move up the section division ladder.

Not to cast aspersions on D4, but this isn't true. Who is the D4 open candidate from 2015? Marin Catholic won D4 NCS and lost in the D4 Norcals to Capital Christian. That year, both BOD and Moreau were in D3 and went to the Open. Meanwhile, El Cerrito and Newark Memorial have been the D2 champs every year since 2012, and one or both has regularly gone to the open. Now, with both Moreau and BOD in D2 because of competitive equity, it was an even bigger brain fart to try to move CN to D2.

Reactions: Agapbliitz
For the record....

No hiding from the open this year in hopes to play another lancaster for a watered down trophy?

Go Monty!

Last edited:
Not to cast aspersions on D4, but this isn't true. Who is the D4 open candidate from 2015? Marin Catholic won D4 NCS and lost in the D4 Norcals to Capital Christian. That year, both BOD and Moreau were in D3 and went to the Open. Meanwhile, El Cerrito and Newark Memorial have been the D2 champs every year since 2012, and one or both has regularly gone to the open. Now, with both Moreau and BOD in D2 because of competitive equity, it was an even bigger brain fart to try to move CN to D2.
right on brother- many teams like CN like to stay in D4 now that there is an open division so that the best teams will get pulled to the open and they have a lake and vill pass to a title game.

Reactions: HWY24
CN preseason schedule did not prepare them for the sections. CN had no answer for the length of Tam.
It would have been better for CN to go 20-8 and get exposed in a few more losses (so the flaws could have been corrected ) than to go 25-3 with a tissue soft schedule.
I thought Bonfigli DID NOT have the kids scouted/prepared for the game as CN continually missed the defensive drop after TAM was able to turn the corner offensively. It almost looks to me like Bonfigli is tired. He used to be a stickler for doing the little things right and I have not seen any of that this year. The lack of doing the little things correctly was masked by the softer schedule.

I think the program is all about the wrong things...During the pregame announcements the announcer mentioned Bonfiglis win total. Seriously???
IMO the program/coaching staff is all about Bonfigli getting his wins at this point.

Ironically, if CN had stayed in D4 instead of opting up to "the easier path" in D2 theyd probably still be playing.

BUT Bonfiglis ego would never had allowed his boys team to share the spotlight with the girls tonight. (he hates the girls program) Especially if the boys had to open for them.

He does need to answer for why he opted up. And quite frankly he needs to answer for why he doesn't schedule better.

He's got a long offseason, I assume the heats coming his way.
hes def got some heat rounds coming his way. But hey any way to 800 right? Who announces a coaches win total before a game? that is a total shame. the place has incentivized wins no matter who they are against. Lakes, valleys and vills it doesn't matter bonfigli will play a special Olympics team if he gets a win out of it! I much prefer how the ole Vikings do it with class and style!

Since CN had always played up in football in the past, the choice not to move up this year when they had a good team was seen by many as moving down.

They have played in D4 two years now for football. I don't love it, but it is ruler choice.

Hell St. Joes used to play in D1 for hoops when Laprorte was there. With Lippi they haven't. Teams do it all the time.

I always say that this time of the year you need a couple guys that are college players whether its D1, D2, D3, Juco, etc to really make a deep run. You will find this is a theme among all the teams and some of the best teams are the ones that have 3+ starters that will play in college even if its D2-D3. Newman's team this year doesn't have one college player that I can see. They were an above average team that played a very below average schedule. I blame the scheduling on the coach but ultimately you need talent to move forward.

No hiding from the open this year in hopes to play another lancaster for a watered down trophy?

Go Monty!

a Lancaster team that had won 30 in a row....

and the only watered down trophy is anything the sad monty girls team will attempt to win in a weak D2...
BUT wont because they will more than likely get running clocked by Miramonte if they even get that far.
Monty should be doing cartwheels that CN girls didn't opt up to D2 also. Actually gives them a chance at a little success before getting blasted in Norcals.

a Lancaster team that had won 30 in a row....

and the only watered down trophy is anything the sad monty girls team will attempt to win in a weak D2...
BUT wont because they will more than likely get running clocked by Miramonte if they even get that far.
Monty should be doing cartwheels that CN girls didn't opt up to D2 also. Actually gives them a chance at a little success before getting blasted in Norcals.
hey dont be mad because your ducking the open. and antelope valley sucked. That game should have been over far earlier if someone on the team could have made free throws....and u know what im talkin about.

if ur team was so good they would play in D1 against the big dog instead of hiding in d4 and praying the better teams get brought to the open ha!

Last edited:
without checking I'm assuming Salesian boys in 2015? perhaps you are choosing the 1 yr D4 did not have an OPEN team on the boys side? Salesian boys have perennially been an OPEN contender every year since the OPEN inception.
And on the girls side Salesian and SMB who not only have been going OPEN almost every year but have had multiple McDonald All Americans come thru.

And Im never said D3 isn't good....I just said I thought D4 since the OPEN inception has been the toughest in the NCS.

hey dont be mad because your ducking the open. and lancaster sucked. That game should have been over far earlier if someone on the team could have made free throws....and u know what im talkin about.

if ur team was so good they would play in D1 against the big dog instead of hiding in d4 and praying the better teams get brought to the open ha!

who's ducking the OPEN? by the way how many OPENS have the MONTY boys/girls been in? Why don't your squad opt up to the big dogs in D1???

CN girls have won 57 straight in the NBL against a D2 league(remember Monty is the D2 #2 seed???), why in the world would they ever want to compete in the D2 section....those games are boring for them. At least in the D4 section they may get challenged.

hey dont be mad because your ducking the open. and lancaster sucked. That game should have been over far earlier if someone on the team could have made free throws....and u know what im talkin about.

They played Antelope Valley by the way (Not Lancaster) and AV is a D2 school of 1700 kids that was placed in the D4 state title game by competitive equity in the south. So please get your facts straight b4 you make your false statements.

who's ducking the OPEN? by the way how many OPENS have the MONTY boys/girls been in? Why don't your squad opt up to the big dogs in D1???

CN girls have won 57 straight in the NBL against a D2 league(remember Monty is the D2 #2 seed???), why in the world would they ever want to compete in the D2 section....the games are boring for them. At least in the D4 section they may get challenged.
so 57 games straight in the NBL and their bored yet won't play with the big dogs in D1? Sounds like Bonfigli is secretly at the helm! ha! Winning a d4 title after the good teams get brought up to the open after you lose in your section final is like getting an ice cream for competing in the special Olympics. tell her to focus on free throws this year

honestly, I'm not even sure why you are even talking about the girls. Its a total class difference. And there is no comparison.
Stick to the boys...

so 57 games straight in the NBL and their bored yet won't play with the big dogs in D1? Sounds like Bonfigli is secretly at the helm! ha! Winning a d4 title after the good teams get brought up to the open after you lose in your section final is like getting an ice cream for competing in the special Olympics. tell her to focus on free throws this year

Im not who you think I am, but if you are going to make it personal on that persons daughter then you need to check yourself cause I am very fond of her.
But leave it to a Monty booster to go after a kid.

Im not who you think I am, but if you are going to make it personal on that persons daughter then you need to check yourself cause I am very fond of her.
But leave it to a Monty booster to go after a kid.
lol stop it we know who you are. don't deny it you have a daughter on the CN girls team. I will mention the exact names if you'd like? let me know either way. by the way whats the spread on the game tonight?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT