ADVERTISEMENT

Ngata Brothers Story

Ya I just read the article and honestly it still seems pretty far-fetched to me.. So your telling me the dad would have just as happily bought a apartment in Allen Texas and send his wife down there to live with them just to play football. So obviously the transfer out of the reno area is for "sports interest only" not academics....And I doubt the mom and grandma are there all week. And the other fact I took from this article is that...Ok the Ngata brothers are fine they live with their mom in an apartment, but umm....Kaiden Bennett? he lives with them and goes to Folsom as well? Did they adopt him? or does one of his family members live in the apartment too? The whole situation just seems off to me. But that's just my opinion.

Another interesting note in the article states that Folsom has more players transfer out than in. Maybe those that would like to play there but can't, and end up at other schools? Maybe. I know we have a few and so does OR.

Fortunately, this is the world we live in now for sports. Parents are going to extreme lengths to ensure their kids in the best place to be seen, and to get a free education. The world is a competitive one. I can't say I blame the parents. I have done similar things in my life for my two kids.

The Ngata brothers have been at Folsom their entire career, since freshman. Older brother went their too. They seem to like it, as do others. If families are moving there just so their kids can play football there, that should tell you something. Its not easy to find housing there.

Ya I just read the article and honestly it still seems pretty far-fetched to me.. So your telling me the dad would have just as happily bought a apartment in Allen Texas and send his wife down there to live with them just to play football. So obviously the transfer out of the reno area is for "sports interest only" not academics....And I doubt the mom and grandma are there all week. And the other fact I took from this article is that...Ok the Ngata brothers are fine they live with their mom in an apartment, but umm....Kaiden Bennett? he lives with them and goes to Folsom as well? Did they adopt him? or does one of his family members live in the apartment too? The whole situation just seems off to me. But that's just my opinion.

Um, did you READ the story? Your post has so many mis-statements it appears you may have not.

1) You : “So your telling me the dad would have.....happily bought an apartment in Allen, TX.....”
Um, NO....per the article the Dad said of Allen, TX “that’s not an option.”
2) You mentioned they ‘transfer out of Reno’. Joe and Daniel never attended any of high school except Folsom, no transfer was ever made for these two.
3) You “I doubt the mom and grandma are there all week”. You statement is based on what? Do you assume that these seemingly educated and intelligent parents decided that their sons, who have been living in Folsom since Daniel was an 8th grader, are Ok to live by themselves? Insane

Lastly, yes, it appears a primary reason this family is at Folsom is for football (although Folsom is also an exceptional public school when it comes to education as well). If you believe this does not occur all over town, you are rather naive. Parents send their kids to different schools for a myriad of reasons. The fact is there was no recruiting, outside of that, what’s the issue?

Another interesting note in the article states that Folsom has more players transfer out than in. Maybe those that would like to play there but can't, and end up at other schools? Maybe. I know we have a few and so does OR.

Fortunately, this is the world we live in now for sports. Parents are going to extreme lengths to ensure their kids in the best place to be seen, and to get a free education. The world is a competitive one. I can't say I blame the parents. I have done similar things in my life for my two kids.

The Ngata brothers have been at Folsom their entire career, since freshman. Older brother went their too. They seem to like it, as do others. If families are moving there just so their kids can play football there, that should tell you something. Its not easy to find housing there.
I’d say only “some parents” go to extreme lengths to get their sons football glory. The rest of us are sane and thankfully, grounded.

What If your child showed exceptional promise as a violinist and wanted to do nothing more than garner a music scholarship. Unfortunately Your local high school had very small and underwhelming music program, would you not consider a different school for him/her?

I have a neighbor here in Sac who sends his child to Mira Loma strictly because his son is a mathematics whiz kid and they have a program that is set up for kids like him. Is that father not “grounded”.

I don’t disagree that there are parents out there who care wayyy to much. but in this case it appears these young men do have a special skill when it comes to football, and the dad is simply supporting THEIR desires....not pushing his own agenda on them.

Reactions: feedback1 and damim
A prodigy violinist would be taking private lessons, and that pathway would lead him to Berklee or Juilliard, not his HS baton wagger.

1315.1 was chosen for a two year 4/5 highly gifted program in our District, the smartest 20 clustered at a different K-5. After the first year he wanted to go back to his ‘hood school. Why? “I’d rather be with my friends.” Smarter than even we knew at the time, and grounded even then.

A top 10 LAC, 39 MCAT, 172 LSAT, he’ll be fine. Oh, playing #12 as the only frosh on the reigning D2 rugger squad was fun too.

As far as FBS NLIs, it’s a common observation those guys will find you...Pocatello or Podunk. I understand parents wanting to seek out the “best” for their children. Oft they mistake that vision in the distance as golden when, in fact, the ground they stand on is terra firma.

Last edited:
Great article on the Ngata brothers and their journey to Folsom. This debunks a lot of the rumors out there. Still kind of funny to think they even thought of Allen High, in Texas. The parents really did want their kids to shine. Just glad to got to see them play in the SFL!

This is nothing new, as it has been going on for decades at a lot of programs. Some more than others.

The Ngata's moving to Folsom for their kids to play football for a winner is really no different than Aaron Taylor's mom moving him 20 years ago from Marin City to Concord so he could play football for De La Salle. It was a great decision for him and it turned his life around. (Although it is kind of surprising that he somehow got admitted to the school with bad grades as a junior and according to the article was "drinking, smoking weed and going out partying all the time, sometimes selling a little drugs to make money".)

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-10-02/sports/9203300276_1_notre-dame-mother-aaron-taylor

Last edited:
Reactions: 1315 and thekingera
I would agree this doesn't happen in mass and not all parents go to these lengths. But, most parents who have kids that are "special" or "exceptional" in sports, or even education, usually make some type of sacrifice to ensure their child is in the best position to succeed.

I think the father Ngata's decision paid off. According to my son, 5-7 D1 scouts are sitting front row at every practice, simply to watch the Ngata brothers, among others. That alone, is priceless. They are going to have their pick of many great schools. I am happy for them.

You gotta a pretty rare and ideal situation with these kids. All 3 are D1 college football players. (captain obvious statement). Joe Ngata is a pro. He will be one. I've seen enough pro's in HS to know he's every bit as good if not better. Folsom attracts these types and will do especially when you have success stories. If I'm just a good HS player and want to play I probably don't go to Folsom. You will be recruited over at skill positions especially. There lies the transfers out. Its a bummer but so is life. Vista should benefit greatly and so has OR and a few others. Do I like it? Not really. But is it the reality of sports today. I think so.

Lol the Ngata family is from Reno Bennett too they have family that also comes down and watches the games. They have players from Elk Grove too. The fact that this is even a article is funny but let’s be real every schools gets transfers but it’s jusr a tough pill to swallow for some seeing that 3 kids from Reno found their way to folsom and are dominating. So cal teams are filled with football transfers so hey kudos to folsom we all just wish they used these players to beat nationally ranked teams and not Sjs teams unless they need transfers to beat sjs teans

Lol the Ngata family is from Reno Bennett too they have family that also comes down and watches the games. They have players from Elk Grove too. The fact that this is even a article is funny but let’s be real every schools gets transfers but it’s jusr a tough pill to swallow for some seeing that 3 kids from Reno found their way to folsom and are dominating. So cal teams are filled with football transfers so hey kudos to folsom we all just wish they used these players to beat nationally ranked teams and not Sjs teams unless they need transfers to beat sjs teans

Families move. It happens.

Reactions: thekingera
Great article, and thanks for sharing.

Was/is awesome watching the Ngata's even though they slaughtered my favorite SFL team. Will look forward to one or both of them playing on Saturday then Sunday!

Good programs dont need to recruit, they attract talent. This is how the majority of the most successful programs work and why they are able to maintain their programs year over year. Also shows that some Public Schools can attract talent just as Private Schools do.

Reactions: concrete17 and remc
Good programs dont need to recruit, they attract talent. This is how the majority of the most successful programs work and why they are able to maintain their programs year over year. Also shows that some Public Schools can attract talent just as Private Schools do.
Agree

My philosophy is simple, kids should be allowed to attend any school they like providing there is room and they meet enrollment standards.

Great write up. Tonight alone is proof they made the right decision. They will eyes on them from around the country.

A couple movie scenes came to mind when I read the article.

Folsom is just a better program then Grant right now. Coming from Reno, why would they pick an inferior program that’s farther away? Would make no sense.

Folsom is just a better program then Grant right now. Coming from Reno, why would they pick an inferior program that’s farther away? Would make no sense.

Pretty sure grant is closer. Folsoms the better program rightnow forsure but once the extra help stops rolling in you’ll soon realize who’s has the better program

What If your child showed exceptional promise as a violinist and wanted to do nothing more than garner a music scholarship. Unfortunately Your local high school had very small and underwhelming music program, would you not consider a different school for him/her?

I have a neighbor here in Sac who sends his child to Mira Loma strictly because his son is a mathematics whiz kid and they have a program that is set up for kids like him. Is that father not “grounded”.

I don’t disagree that there are parents out there who care wayyy to much. but in this case it appears these young men do have a special skill when it comes to football, and the dad is simply supporting THEIR desires....not pushing his own agenda on them.

If your child were an outstanding musician, you would most likely want him to go to Folsom where he could be taught by a Grammy nominated educator who leads multiple nationally recognized programs each year!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/finalists-for-2018-grammy-music-educator-award-revealed/

This may hurt some peoples feelings but I don't really care. Does anybody believe going to Grant vs Folsom was actually a decision? One school has sub standard academics, in a poverty stricken area, and struggling quite frankly overall. I'm not a believer Grant will turn it around. I've voiced my opinion on here. I see more kids getting pulled to better schools like Inderkum going forward or families avoiding that area all together. Folsom has academics, resources, superior coaching, etc etc..... Pretty easy decision.

It is what it is.

Pretty sure grant is closer. Folsoms the better program rightnow forsure but once the extra help stops rolling in you’ll soon realize who’s has the better program

As far as who’s closer, your probably right. I’m not from the area I just glanced at a map for a few seconds before making that post lol.

But anyways, if a kid is deciding where they want to play football it ONLY matters who the better program is right now because they are going to school right now. If grant was better in the 90s and 00s it doesn’t matter, if Grant will be better in 2-3 years, also doesn’t matter.

Not talking trash, just saying that kids typically don’t realize (or care) what high schools were good “back in the day”.

It never needed kids to transfer in to be good so we dont count on em...we have great talent in our backyard

No one is going to pick Grant over Folsom for Football or much of anything else related to High School right now.

It’s not even a question

Thank you. Its like saying honey should we go see Star Wars or Daddy's Home 2. If Folsom was 50 miles further it would still be an obvious choice. And coming from Reno to Grant vs Folsom is the difference of about 15 min. Will Grant be good in the future? I don't think they will do what Folsom or even OR will be doing. Is Folsom better today? Obviously. Who is throwing Ngata the ball at Grant? When is the last time Grant has had a college QB? The kid when they beat LBP but I think he was converted or may never ended up playing.

Thank you. Its like saying honey should we go see Star Wars or Daddy's Home 2. If Folsom was 50 miles further it would still be an obvious choice. And coming from Reno to Grant vs Folsom is the difference of about 15 min. Will Grant be good in the future? I don't think they will do what Folsom or even OR will be doing. Is Folsom better today? Obviously. Who is throwing Ngata the ball at Grant? When is the last time Grant has had a college QB? The kid when they beat LBP but I think he was converted or may never ended up playing.

Can’t wait til they remind everybody who they are...the youth program is probably the best around. Once they figure out the offense it’ll Ben hard to find a team in the sfl that will
Match what they put on the field every year. They’ll win section every time they have a qb it’s that simple

Nevada Union used to be good too, things change. And it’s not as simple as saying “it’s because kids are transferring to other schools” thing. it’s a “things change” thing. Inderkum has taken some great ballers that woulda been at Grant. And the population growth in the region, especially the foothills, has a huge impact on Sacto region FB as well. It’s a wide variety of things, and many of those things aren’t changing anytime soon.

I think Grant will be back, hopefully sooner rather than later.

And the population growth in the region, especially the foothills, has a huge impact on Sacto region FB
Spot on. What do you think about the south of 50 development in Folsom? Supposed to add another 30k more people. Thoughts?

If your child were an outstanding musician, you would most likely want him to go to Folsom where he could be taught by a Grammy nominated educator who leads multiple nationally recognized programs each year!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/finalists-for-2018-grammy-music-educator-award-revealed/
If this is a serious post, I would not. If he/she were a prodigy, they'd be in a superior group being educated, along the lines of a University mentorship. It's apples and oranges. For example, are you saying that names like Nottingham, McAlister, Kline and Lockie would've procured HIGHER FBS offers than Stanford, USC, Cal and Oregon if they'd signed up for that sports factory only 15 miles down their freeway? No, I think not.

It's a parent's prerogative to send their kid to high school in another state, county or city-as long as they met any boundary requirements, LOL. And certainly some families make huge investments in the future of their children, some of which are misguided (we're not all perfect.) The doc movie Hoop Dreams comes to mind..... If I'm the dad, though, I want to be at the dinner table every night; "Did Mr. Singh ask for your help with the AP stat discussion today? Did Sally's mustang backfire today in the lot and freak the narc? Reggie tweaked his ankle? Again, right before gassers?!" But maybe I'm one of those guys who wants to see his kids every day. Emptying nest just filled again, thank you OAK and I-5.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT