ADVERTISEMENT

Nike TOC Brackets....Preliminary

LBP does not belong in the Joe Smith....
Mater Dei belongs in the Joe Smith

Mitty will most like have to beat St Johns,
Riverdale and SMS to win the title...
In three straight days....
SMS has a easier side of the bracket

Reactions: Paytc
Mater Dei wanted the second division; Poly wanted the top, as I understand it. The other shaky Joe Smith entrant is Homewood-Flossmoor.

A Salesian-Mater Dei final in the John Anderson bracket is not out of the question, but there are a lot of good teams in that group.

This question is a little off the topic. But how do these teams afford to go to Arizona each year to play in the Nike TOC? I guess I can understand how maybe the private schools have that kind of money allocated for athletics. But really don't see how public schools can afford this trip every year. Is it fundraising? parent contributions? This has to be a very expensive trip.

This question is a little off the topic. But how do these teams afford to go to Arizona each year to play in the Nike TOC? I guess I can understand how maybe the private schools have that kind of money allocated for athletics. But really don't see how public schools can afford this trip every year. Is it fundraising? parent contributions? This has to be a very expensive trip.

Tell me about it. lol I would love to know the answer to that.

I looked into getting into the TOC this year but the tourney alone is like 700 or so. Then flights were another 3000 (at the cheapest) plus Hotel stay and Food with travel expenses... Round that up that is about 8000 trip. I cant even spend 8000 my whole season.

Some programs are better off i guess.

When I've taken teams in the past, I've had it on the calendar at the end of the previous season, and I announce to everyone that they are responsible for their plane ticket, lodging and spending money. (Obviously, this isn't possible at many schools.)

This gives the player a year to raise the money, and we also look for a few team fund-raising opportunities that will offset the overall cost. And if a family says they can't afford the trip, we look for ways to help them out.

Some schools, I know, fundraise year-round to generate enough income for the trip. It's a serious commitment, no question, but many coaches, families and schools feel that it's worth the investment. Others don't, or can't raise the money, and they have to stay closer to home.

Reactions: basketba11
Does Nike pitch in for any costs of Nike sponsored teams? Even if it's just entry fee?

As far as I know, Nike's total contribution goes to the running of the tournament.

It gets serious today at Mesquite High School (schedule on Nike Tournament of Champions app) ...

12:30 Arizona time: Riverdale Baptist (No. 8 in nation) vs. Sacred Heart Academy (No. 21)

(O'Dowd came back to win, and plays St. Francis of NY, which beat Mater Dei, at Highland High.)

3:30 p.m.: Mitty (No. 4) vs. St. John's (No. 3)

5 p.m.: Mesquite (No. 23) vs. SMS (No. 2)
Sacramento vs. SHC at Campo Verde

6:30 p.m.: Riverdale (No. 1) vs. Centennial (No. 22)

No. 9 North Little Rock lost to Mesquite and No. 25 Mater Dei lost in lower bracket.

Riverdale Baptist 72 Sacred Heart Academy 66 final.

Riverdale Baptist has some size in the post. Sacred Heart Academy was able to close within 2 pts down the stretch, but Riverdale Baptist was in control and held the lead pretty much from start to finish.

Rock Creek and North Little Rock playing a very close game at the moment. Tied up at 57 with over 4 min to play. Rock Creek up 59-57 with just 3 min to play. Now 61-57 with 2:22 left.

Mitty vs St. John's will be up next (2:30PM our time). The times posted for the brackets and above in Clay's post are MT time.

Mitty 17 St. John's 6 after 1 quarter. Mitty's defense is relentless. Haley Jones doing her thing on both sides of the court.

St. John's storming back with a very good 2nd quarter, having a chance to tie with a 3-ptr missed just before the half ended. Mitty rebounded and missed the final shot of the first half. Score Mitty 27 St. John's 24 halftime.

Mitty up 43-40 as Haley Jones picks up her 4th foul. She sits but then checks back in for offense with 51 secs left in the 3rd.

St. John's scores as Haley Jones backs off with her hands in the air. End of 3rd: Mitty 43 St. John's 42. Fourth quarter is going to be interesting with Jones with 4 fouls.

Haley Jones on the bench to start the 4th. St. John's rebounds and scores on transition to take the lead (44-43). Jones back in with 6:46 left in the game.

Haley Jones fouls out trying to guard the baseline. She leaves the game with 14 pts. But, her presence has been more than just scoring. The rest of Mitty is going to need to step up.

Matumbo (center) for St. John's picks up her 4th foul and remains in the game with just over 5 minutes left in the game.

After Mitty scored on 2 consecutive possessions (last one in transition), Rivera from St. John's hits a 3 to tie the score at 49 with 1:58 left.

Traveling negates the Mitty basket. St. John's Matumbo misses the layup. Mitty and St. John's fighting for the rebound on Mitty's end, as Mitty goes up twice and misses. But, Matumbo gets called for her 5th foul. 1:02 left in the game, tied still at 49.

Blakes has been key down the stretch with Jones out. She scores the put back and puts Mitty ahead 51-49. 30 seconds left. Mitty to inbound. St. John's fouls on attempted steal for break-away. Both FT's good for Blakes to make it 53-49 with 21.5 left. More FT's for Mitty. Blakes scores the final break away layup to end the game winning by 8, 57-49. Much heart and effort by Mitty to take this game with their start player, Haley Jones out for nearly all of the 4th quarter.

St. Mary's tries to draw the offensive foul. Call doesn't go their way. Aquira in turn gets called for the charge.

Score is 26-15 with 5:30 left in the half.

Mesquite crowd going wild as they close within 8. Score is 29-21 with 3:32.

Neenah Young 3 pointer is good. 32-21.

Blunt with the put back and 1. 35-21.

OMG! Nicole Young stands still to draw the offensive foul and once again the hometown refs get it wrong. To add to it, Neenah Young gets called for a technical foul on the other end. SMH!

Hometown announcers, too, calling the game on FloHoops. Lol! So much excitement over an 8 pt deficit.

Can the Lady Rams weather the hometown favoritism they are up against? Still got a complete half to play. Stay tuned.

Lady Rams spirit is totally get sucked out from them with the bad calls (travel on a clean drive), as we have a 3 point game.

30 second timeout by the Rams.

But, credit Mesquite who is hitting 3's.

Neenah Young with a 3 and she points to the Mesquite student section as the Rams get back to an 8 point lead. 90 seconds left in the 3rd.

Mesquite with another 3. Johnson answers with a 3 as well. Mesquite answers again with a 2.

It's back to 8 pt lead 60-52 as Johnson hits the FT's. Ariel Johnson has added some spark the Rams have needed.

61-52 St. Mary's after 3 quarters of play, in what the announcers are calling a really close game.

I beg to differ. The earlier games today were much closer. Sure, Mesquite is in this game. But, St. Mary's, IMHO, is still very much in control and the much better team on the court, not just on paper. Mesquite does have 2 very good players who have accounted for most of their points. But, look for the Rams to pull away with 8 minutes to play.

Acosta to the line. Shocked the foul was called.

Mesquite is hanging in there with their 3 pt shooting display. Rams D needs to put pressure on these shooters, else this could be another Pinewood upset. Fortunately, the Rams offense is just as hard to stop.

Under 4 minutes to play 70-61 Rams. Aquira with the put back.

Mesquite with another 3.

An offensive foul by both teams. Shocked! Someone must have talked to these refs. Lol.

With 2:34 left, Neenah Young makes 2 FT's, 72-64.

2 minutes left. Rams slowing it down. Look for FT's by the Rams the rest of the way and Mesquite going for 3's. Pulling away not so, but really not as close as the announcers want it to be. Rams are a very good FT shooting team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT