ADVERTISEMENT

NORCAL D-5 PREDICTIONS?

Dec 2, 2017
Who has a realistic shot of making it out of the Nor-Cal side in Division 5?

Is it #1 Argonaut? Them along with #13 Mt. Shasta are the only section champions in this bracket.

Can a team like #9 Hayward make a run? They reached the NCS D-3 semifinals.. I know they lost by 40 to Salesian but it is Salesian after all.

Does a Northern Section D-4 team such as #2 Gridley or #5 U-Prep have a chance for a deep tournament run in D-5?

Does anyone else have a problem with an 11-15 Hayward (Division 3) team that lost by 40 points to Salesian playing for a state championship in Division 5? That just seems wrong to me. Division 5 is supposed to be for small public schools.

I'm okay if teams want to move up divisions in Norcal's. But it just seems wrong for a bad D3 team to be dropped down to D5.

I think they should take less than 88 teams....and if there are less than 16 teams in D5....then so be it. Give the top seeds in D5 a bye in the first round, rather than dropping a Hayward down to D5.

Who has a realistic shot of making it out of the Nor-Cal side in Division 5?

Is it #1 Argonaut? Them along with #13 Mt. Shasta are the only section champions in this bracket.

Can a team like #9 Hayward make a run? They reached the NCS D-3 semifinals.. I know they lost by 40 to Salesian but it is Salesian after all.

Does a Northern Section D-4 team such as #2 Gridley or #5 U-Prep have a chance for a deep tournament run in D-5?

I mean rather than promote an 11-15 D3 team (Hayward) because they made the semifinals of a bad NCS D3 playoffs, why not think outside the box and have a Jefferson make the playoffs.

Hayward is ranked #544 in Maxpreps, while Jefferson is ranked #277. Also Jefferson went 21-8, had a great 2nd half of the year with a couple of transfer kids that were eligible in January. Jefferson was co-PAL champion, and made it to the semifinals of the CCS D4 playoffs, losing to Santa Cruz who is #1 in D4. They also beat HMB who is #5 in D3.

Who has Hayward beaten?

I really like the lower half of the bracket. Colfax, Gridley & Redwood Christian, they can all win it in my eyes.

Does anyone else have a problem with an 11-15 Hayward (Division 3) team that lost by 40 points to Salesian playing for a state championship in Division 5? That just seems wrong to me. Division 5 is supposed to be for small public schools.

I'm okay if teams want to move up divisions in Norcal's. But it just seems wrong for a bad D3 team to be dropped down to D5.

I think they should take less than 88 teams....and if there are less than 16 teams in D5....then so be it. Give the top seeds in D5 a bye in the first round, rather than dropping a Hayward down to D5.

I agree D5 should be all small public schools and possibly small privates that aren't traditionally dominant programs. I wonder what possessed CIF to slip in a team like Hayward in there? Was it merely to round out a 16 team bracket with a very marginal D3 team that shouldn't make too waves in D5? Does anyone think that the pride of Hayward High Jack Del Rio will show up for raising the banner for a D5 NorCal title :eek:....

Well if the first round was any indication.. it's not going to be easy for Urban.. Mt. Shasta took them to double OT!

I know this bracket has been beat up a bit on this forum, but there are some good small school teams here that are fun to watch. There's something about a public school made up of players that are all actually from the neighborhood competing at a high level. It may not be the big boys of Nor Cal, but these guys work as hard at their games as anybody. I'm rooting hard for an all public school final in this one.

We should stop calling them state champions. There is one state champion in this format and then teams fighting to be crowned #'s 9, 25 etc in the regions. The "state championship games" are played to see whose 9th best team is better. Personally, I'm betting on the south in every game. It is a series of NITs. That doesn't make the games less compelling, interesting, enjoyable, or meaningful for the participants.

Reactions: observer22
Bradshaw Christian is a tough team. Give me Argonaut though.

They seem to have kicked it into a new gear since a couple of bad losses

The playoffs are now all done by competitive equity

Has anyone seem the kid Keyshad Johnson of Evision Academy play? 6'6" and can leap put of the gym. I saw him block 25 shots in games. They beat University Prep on a buzzer beater by Johnson.
https://www.redding.com/story/sports/2018/03/07/u-prep-boys-fall-short-home-court/406020002/

Keyshad Johnson Photos
http://www.everettbassphotography.com/Keyshad-Johnson/

I have... He is indeed a freak of nature!

Saw him complete a legit 360 dunk IN A GAME! That may the only time I saw that in my 4000 or so HS games...

The bad news is... At least as of mid-December, he and the team had absolutely zero discipline. Time outs were simply a chance to line up at the Gatorade bucket... Coach hardly ever even talked to the players during those breaks...

But athleticism of Johnson’s level simply doesn’t grow on trees... Some JC or small college might find themselves with a true diamond-in-the-rough.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
I have... He is indeed a freak of nature!

Saw him complete a legit 360 dunk IN A GAME! That may the only time I saw that in my 4000 or so HS games...

The bad news is... At least as of mid-December, he and the team had absolutely zero discipline. Time outs were simply a chance to line up at the Gatorade bucket... Coach hardly ever even talked to the players during those breaks...

But athleticism of Johnson’s level simply doesn’t grow on trees... Some JC or small college might find themselves with a true diamond-in-the-rough.
Kiddman. yes he is a freak of nature, he blocked 13 shots in the section semi-final and 12 in the final. One of the games I shot of him he did a 360.. I have a nice reverse dunk he did.. I may try and make the game at Urban in San Francisco. They did play a more disciplined game the last game I saw but the needed to take care of the ball better and not turn it over so much mostly bad passes. I heard from Johnson's AD that he's a good in class as well..He's being nominated for a student/athlete award at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Urban 55 Envision 48 – Urban came out fast going up 17-3 in the first quarter, was too much for Envision to overcome. The second-quarter Envision outscored Urban 13 to 7 to close Urban’s lead to six at the half. Both teams battled in the third-quarter with Envision getting as close as one point away from tying the game. The fourth quarter was exciting with a lot of energy both teams battling the first four minutes of the final quarter. Envision turnovers and good play by Urban opened the lead up to seven late in the game for the final margin of the night.

Very happy to see Colfax v Argonaut in this bracket! Argonaut took down Urban to make it an all public school Nor Cal final! That's pretty cool for the little guys!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT