ADVERTISEMENT

Open Division

ballusa2015

Rookie
Feb 12, 2018
I am new to Norcal Prep Forum but really like hearing the opinions of everyone.

Any thoughts on Open Division and any chance Pinewood could lose?

I haven't been on this message board for years, but had a question along the same lines. Based on the rankings I've seen, it looks like Folsom will likely end up in the open division. Do you think that will be the case even if they were to lose in the SJS semis? That begs the questions, has there been any example of, or could there be the potential for, a team to tank a game, to get a better state match-up? Would you lose a game if you thought it would give you a better chance to win a state championship (getting put in DI vs Open)?

I am new to Norcal Prep Forum but really like hearing the opinions of everyone.

Any thoughts on Open Division and any chance Pinewood could lose?

Are you talking about the CCS Open or the NorCal open??

But either way, yes there is a chance that Pinewood could lose

Why would they not have a chance at losing to AM in the finals like the last 2 years?

I haven't been on this message board for years, but had a question along the same lines. Based on the rankings I've seen, it looks like Folsom will likely end up in the open division. Do you think that will be the case even if they were to lose in the SJS semis? That begs the questions, has there been any example of, or could there be the potential for, a team to tank a game, to get a better state match-up? Would you lose a game if you thought it would give you a better chance to win a state championship (getting put in DI vs Open)?

I think Folsom is most likely headed to the Open Division regardless to what they do or don't do in the SJS Tournament. Aren't they on a collision course with SMS in the SJS? If so, I think I will have to give the edge to SMS. But I think both will get into the Open Division State tournament afterwards. Correct me if I'm wrong.

While tanking is a forbidden concept, I think often times it is considered at the beginning of the season by a few teams hoping to lose enough to not go to the Open. But of course who would flat out admit to it.

McDonald's All American, D1 post going to UCLA, freshman that's a stud, H Beckman solid player. Throw a game ? Folsom wouldn't win D1 anyway.

No change in the Open equation after last night ... and the same questions.

Will Presentation's lofty MaxPreps' power rating make them the third CCS team in the Open?

Will Bear Creek or Antelope be the third SJS team?

If form holds, which three NCS section champs -- Carondelet/Heritage, Miramonte/O'Dowd, Salesian/Cardinal Newman, St. Joseph Notre Dame -- get in?

Or will NCS get four, and two each from CCS and SJS?

Reactions: northbaybbguru
If all the favorites win out St. Joe's D4 section championship and a win over Clet would carry a lot of weight. I don't see the bubble teams with that good of a win. Presentation max preps rankings are high with no quality wins or losses vs the sjs or ncs. Ncs record vs ccs and sjs not real strong this year. Going to be interesting.

No change in the Open equation after last night ... and the same questions.

Will Presentation's lofty MaxPreps' power rating make them the third CCS team in the Open?

Will Bear Creek or Antelope be the third SJS team?

If form holds, which three NCS section champs -- Carondelet/Heritage, Miramonte/O'Dowd, Salesian/Cardinal Newman, St. Joseph Notre Dame -- get in?

Or will NCS get four, and two each from CCS and SJS?

I think NCS gets 4 unless one of them is upset. Mitty/Pinewood from CCS and SMS and Folsom from SJS to round it out. The rest of the divisions seedings will be the interesting part.

I think NCS gets 4 unless one of them is upset. Mitty/Pinewood from CCS and SMS and Folsom from SJS to round it out. The rest of the divisions seedings will be the interesting part.

I could see 4 out of the NCS but are all 4 then going to be on the road? It sure looks that way. That would be an injustice to the NCS if so. That seems like a brutal thing to do. Put 4 in (all on the road) and only 2(at home) for the other 2 sections?

I could see 4 out of the NCS but are all 4 then going to be on the road? It sure looks that way. That would be an injustice to the NCS if so. That seems like a brutal thing to do. Put 4 in (all on the road) and only 2(at home) for the other 2 sections?

I think Salesian would be the 3rd seed and get a home game

You don't think Salesian would be the 3rd seed and get a home game? Question is does the Salesian win vs Pinewood in the pre-season play a roll in their seeding. With out any upsets I think Mitty, SMS, Pinewood, Salesian (3 or 4 could swap), Folsom (I don't see the quality wins to move them higher unless they beat SMS), C-LET, MM, CN, St Joes with the 8th seed. What do you think?

You don't think Salesian would be the 3rd seed and get a home game? Question is does the Salesian win vs Pinewood in the pre-season play a roll in their seeding. With out any upsets I think Mitty, SMS, Pinewood, Salesian (3 or 4 could swap), Folsom (I don't see the quality wins to move them higher unless they beat SMS), C-LET, MM, CN, St Joes with the 8th seed. What do you think?
Folsom beat C-Let and Salesian, think Folsom goes ahead of both.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Mitty, Pinewood, St. Mary's are for sure..
I will add Folsom, Carondelet, Winner of Miramonte/BOD, Salesian and Cardinal Newman to round out the 8..

If PW beats Mitty

(assuming no upsets) and FAVORITES win the rest of the finals...

IF HEAD TO HEAD MATTERS.....

It would be....

1. PW
2. Mitty
3. SMS
4. Folsom
5. Salesian
6. SJ
7. CLET
8. MM

and the NCS gets hosed with 4 road games...

but who knows what the committee thinks

****of course if BOD, CN or Heritage win their perspective sections everything is changed

I know this is a minority opinion, but if Bear Creek beats Antelope, why wouldn't the SJS D2 champion, with losses only to LA City finalist Fairfax and Central Section finalist Clovis North, and a 21-point win over San Ramon, a 43-point win over Edison and a 31-point win over Campolindo not be a very strong candidate?

Consider: If O'Dowd beats Miramonte, O'Dowd and Bear Creek would be section D2 champs, but O'Dowd would have 10 losses and Bear Creek two.

Of course, the MaxPreps' computer rating has Bear Creek behind all those teams, but if the computer rating is that crucial, then Presentation and East Side College Prep both go in ahead of Cardinal Newman, Miramonte and Carondelet. (Oh, and the computer has Miramonte ahead of Carondelet, but presumably, though we have no idea, Carondelet's head-to-head win over Miramonte puts Carondelet as the higher seed.)

Reactions: basketba11
I know this is a minority opinion, but if Bear Creek beats Antelope, why wouldn't the SJS D2 champion, with losses only to LA City finalist Fairfax and Central Section finalist Clovis North, and a 21-point win over San Ramon, a 43-point win over Edison and a 31-point win over Campolindo not be a very strong candidate?

Consider: If O'Dowd beats Miramonte, O'Dowd and Bear Creek would be section D2 champs, but O'Dowd would have 10 losses and Bear Creek two.

Of course, the MaxPreps' computer rating has Bear Creek behind all those teams, but if the computer rating is that crucial, then Presentation and East Side College Prep both go in ahead of Cardinal Newman, Miramonte and Carondelet. (Oh, and the computer has Miramonte ahead of Carondelet, but presumably, though we have no idea, Carondelet's head-to-head win over Miramonte puts Carondelet as the higher seed.)
CN and MM beat Eastside by 20+. If its all by the computer why even play the game? Head to head should trump all.

1. Mitty
2. SM
3. Folsom
4. Salesian
5. Pinewood
6. St. Joe's
7. C-Let

I think these & are LOCKS.

8. MM, CN, Bear Creek, West Campus,

Who would you rather see as the 8th seed in Open. I believe if CN beats Salesian CN is in.

If MM beats O'dowd and CN loses they are in.

If BC wins by 20+ vs Antelope and CN and MM lose they are in.

and if WC wins, MM loses, BC loses and CN loses then West Campus gets the Nod.

Bigger question is HOW loaded is D1 gonna be this year shesh.

1. Mitty
2. SM
3. Folsom
4. Salesian
5. Pinewood
6. St. Joe's
7. C-Let

Who would you rather see as the 8th seed in Open. I believe if CN beats Salesian CN is in.

Right, It would be interesting to see how they select the D1 teams. Who do you think would be D1 assuming the OPEN teams have no upsets?

SJS: St. Mary's and Folsom
CCS: Mitty and Pinewood
NCS: D1 winner (Carondelet), D2 winner (Miramonte) and D3 winner (Salesian)

Assuming NCS winners here, but the eighth spot is where it gets tricky. Cardinal Newman has a strong case, Bear Creek has a strong case, O'Dowd and Heritage could get in the mix, but I doubt it

Assuming NCS winners here, but the eighth spot is where it gets tricky. Cardinal Newman has a strong case, Bear Creek has a strong case, O'Dowd and Heritage could get in the mix, but I doubt it

So you don't have St. Joes? Likely D4 NCS champ and a Win over Clet?

Reactions: missing.link

St joe's D4 champs with win over C-let, Cn loses to salesian best win is against Eastside. St Joe's gets the nod in my book.

Thank you for that. I knew I was forgetting someone. I think they should be the fourth from NCS and makes a nice group of eight.

Thank you for that. I knew I was forgetting someone. I think they should be the fourth from NCS and makes a nice group of eight.

So now with 1 spot left. if MM and CN both win do you take MM higher division or do you take CN who just beat a #4 ranked team in the open?

So now with 1 spot left. if MM and CN both win do you take MM higher division or do you take CN who just beat a #4 ranked team in the open?
CN goes as the #1 team in the NCS if they win. Salesian beat C-let, C-let beat MM, St Joe's beat C-let. Salesian upset would trump those wins.

It's tricky, no doubt. If you use head-to-head, St. Joe's is in ahead of Carondelet and Salesian is seeded above Pinewood if Pinewood loses to Mitty.

If you feel overall strength of schedule is more important, then the computer rankings take precedence, and Presentation and/or Eastside is in.

Or do you give more weight to section champions, which would mean if Bishop O'Dowd beats Miramonte, they are in even with 10 losses.

Or do you look at overall record, which puts Bear Creek in and O'Dowd out?

Most likely, it will be chalk, with the four NCS teams all being on the road the first round (and thus limiting NCS chances of winning any NorCal titles) -- but with so many variables and no criteria or history to go on, it could turn out to be something much different than we expect.

1. Mitty
2. SM
3. Folsom
4. Salesian
5. Pinewood
6. St. Joe's
7. C-Let

Looks like Hoopguy has the right picks after CN and MM both lost. West Campus 8th seed? Maybe Antelope?

Whether they are 3rd or 4th Salesian guaranteed a home game. I think they'll get 4 and Folsom 3 so Selasian doesn't play another NCS team (either St. Joes or Carondelet in the first round). IMO it looks like Pinewood travels to Salesian for a rematch of their earlier game (and only Pinewood loss, by two points). That game was at PW.

After section final results, here is how I have it:

1. Mitty
2. St. Mary's
3. Salesian
4. Folsom
5. Pinewood
6. St. Joseph
7. Carondelet
8. Bishop O'Dowd

OPEN

1. MITTY
2. SMS
3. FOLSOM
4. SALESIAN
5. PW
6. SJ
7. CLET
8. BOD

D1

1. MM
2. CN
3. PRESENTATION
4. HERITAGE
5. ANTELOPE
6. ESP
7. CASTRO VALLEY
8. BEAR CREEK
9. PLEASANT VALLEY
10. WHITNEY
11. CONSUMNES OAKS
12. WEST CAPMUS
13. EDISON
14. McCLATCHY
15. SAN RAMON VALLEY
16. CHRISTIAN BROTHERS

Yes I put Folsom 4th to avoid a rematch with St. Mary's in the semis. I think the CIF has massaged the bracket to do stuff like this in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT