ADVERTISEMENT

OPEN HISTORY Updated

H.E.A.T.

Hall of Famer
Nov 5, 2010
Originally posted Feb 2019 and updated 2023
This is the 11th year of the open and there have been 28 teams make it to the open. 2 Newcomers Branson and Clovis North.
Modesto Christian 9 appearances Mitty and Sheldon have made 7 appearances. . Sheldon string of 6 in a row ended . SHELDON and ODowd are the only 3x winners with 2020 declared a co championship. Sheldon is only 5x finalist., 4th in a row and was looking to be the only 3peat winner in Covid 2020. MC joined Sheldon with 5x finalist in 2023

(Winners listed first except covid 2020)
2023 St Joseph SM vs Modesto Christian
2022 Modesto Christian Vs Campolindo
2021 COVID
2020 Sheldon vs Bishop Odowd
2019 Sheldon vs Modesto Christian
2018 Sheldon vs Odowd
2017 Woodcreek vs Sheldon
2016 DLS vs Modesto Christian
2015 Odowd vs Modesto Christian
2014 Odowd vs Capital Christian
2013 Mitty vs Sheldon

Appearances

Modesto Christian 24 23 22 19 18 16 15 14 13
Sheldon. 22 20 19 18 17 16 13
Mitty 23 22 20 19 17 14 13
Salesian 24 19 18 17 16 13
Odowd 20 18 15 14 13
DLS 24 23 22 19 17 16
Folsom 18 16 15
Capital 18 17 14
Bells 20 18 17
Riordan 24 22
Newark 14 13
Moreau 16 15
El Cerrito 15 14
Serra 15 13
St Francis 16 15
Monta Vista 15
Sac 16
Woodcreek 17
Weston Ranch 19
San Joaquin M 18
St Joes 17
Dublin 20
Campolindo 22
Clovis West 22
Dougherty Valley 23
St Joeseph SM. 23
Clovis North 24
Branson 24

RECORDS
MC 9 app 14-8 1 title
Sheldon 7 app 11-4 2 + co ship
Mitty 7 app 5-6 1 title
DLS. 6 app. 6-5. 1 title
Salesian. 6 app. 1-5. 0 title
Odowd. 5 app. 8-2 2 + co ship

Last edited:
Thanks for compiling this.

Out of the 14 teams who have gone multiple times, only Serra's appearances weren't back-to-back. Speaks to the longevity some of these programs have.

Suffice to say alot of Bay Area talent and their families have relocated to arguably better schools in the SJS area. Can't blame the migration with cost of living becoming unaffordable to many.

Suffice to say alot of Bay Area talent and their families have relocated to arguably better schools in the SJS area. Can't blame the migration with cost of living becoming unaffordable to many.

Can you name some of these families/players?

Can you name some of these families/players?
Its a general statement. There are no specifics but you can read about where Bay Area families are moving to and the Sacramento area is one of the top places where they are going.

Its a general statement. There are no specifics but you can read about where Bay Area families are moving to and the Sacramento area is one of the top places where they are going.
I have to agree. Over half of Riordan alums live East of San Francisco. Notables: Damien Semien (father of SM-B grad Marcus Semien (SS for the A's); Marty Storti (father of Erich Storti @ DLS); Andre Crump Sr. (father of Football/Basketball standout Andre Crump Jr @ Monterey Trail).

You say a general statement but make it seem like the reason SJS teams are in the open final are due to people leaving The Bay to Sac. Can’t recall any Bay Area kids on any SJS Open team. But wasn’t Raymond Hawkins (Odowd) from Stockton

You say a general statement but make it seem like the reason SJS teams are in the open final are due to people leaving The Bay to Sac. Can’t recall any Bay Area kids on any SJS Open team. But wasn’t Raymond Hawkins (Odowd) from Stockton
Raymond grew up in Oakland but there are some good teams in SJS, there kids from that area down in the bay and vis versa. It's life ...Gavin Wilburn is from the bay is now at Weston Ranch. It happens...There is talent all over California. Good luck to all the schools , coaches and more importantly the kids striving for excellence.

interesting to see that there has been at least one SJS team in the final every year.

They lost each of the 1st 5 years when it was at Sac, but have won the last 2 at Santa Clara. Now they're being played at the home of the top seed.

Not only are Bay Area families moving to Sac, but they are also moving to the valley (Tracy, Stockton, Modesto) They are also moving out to Pittsburgh, Antioch and Brentwood. Bay Area cost of living is ridiculous and areas being gentrified.

They lost each of the 1st 5 years when it was at Sac, but have won the last 2 at Santa Clara. Now they're being played at the home of the top seed.
Nah close to home but not at home. How many does Salesian hold. SHELDON semi last year was moved to CRC

Nah close to home but not at home. How many does Salesian hold. SHELDON semi last year was moved to CRC

Good question. I've never been to a game at their gym, but have seen them play dozens of times.

Kiddman?

Too funny... the committee got tired of Salesian losing in the first round so they just gave em a bye ..... how can they they they are gonna field the top teams and rank them in order but then give teams byes.... why wasn’t Logan Just put in the open..... and they must really LOVE St Mary’s Berkeley, how they got to stay D4 is beyond me and Stuart Hall and university get moved from 5 to 3... and how does Albany get stuck in D2?? There’s just no rhyme or reason to the madness and it looks like the committee has favorites that they did favors for.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Too funny... the committee got tired of Salesian losing in the first round so they just gave em a bye ..... how can they they they are gonna field the top teams and rank them in order but then give teams byes.... why wasn’t Logan Just put in the open..... and they must really LOVE St Mary’s Berkeley, how they got to stay D4 is beyond me and Stuart Hall and university get moved from 5 to 3... and how does Albany get stuck in D2?? There’s just no rhyme or reason to the madness and it looks like the committee has favorites that they did favors for.
It’s actually pretty simple. Stop think of it as divisions. Albany is definitely at top 30 team in Northern California (D2) Stuart Hall and university are top 45 for sure. Hence d3. And st Mary’s is a top 60ish team. If I asked you to rank the teams 1 through infinity, how would you do it?
Logan lost to 4 of the 6 teams in the open. Why put them there? Let those kids go on a run and create some great memories.

Not only are Bay Area families moving to Sac, but they are also moving to the valley (Tracy, Stockton, Modesto) They are also moving out to Pittsburgh, Antioch and Brentwood. Bay Area cost of living is ridiculous and areas being gentrified.

Agreed. This has been going on for 20 + years now but has really taken off the last decade plus. Elk Grove at one time was the fastest growing City in the US. It went from one town HS to damn near 200k in what seemed like overnight. Look at the OAL and AAA. These leagues are a fraction of what they use to be. That Brentwood area is a perfect example. IN the 90's it was a place to go boating and recreation. Now you have elite athletes coming out of there. You think they are generational families? Hell no. I'm in Oakland a lot for work. In the 80-90's i wouldn't be caught dead walking on san pablo blvd /west grand because you would end up that way. Now you have million dollar homes everywhere, starbucks, and brew pubs. Times have changed big time and better schools and communities have attracted families "EAST".

so you telling me all these yahoo and facebook employees who have taken over san francisco do not have any sons who can shoot the rock? i guess lacrosse is cracking now

Raymond grew up in Oakland but there are some good teams in SJS, there kids from that area down in the bay and vis versa. It's life ...Gavin Wilburn is from the bay is now at Weston Ranch. It happens...There is talent all over California. Good luck to all the schools , coaches and more importantly the kids striving for excellence.
when i lived in the valley for a minute as an adult....EVERYONE i met out in social settings said they grew up in oakland or san francisco. EVERYONE. even those who were born in modesto

Reactions: remc
Exactly.... I'm one of them! I think the Cricket, Chess, and Fortnite scores will rapidly improve. You have to remember as well that the Google, Facebook, etc aren't having children! The birthrate is way down...

Reactions: cityfan
so you telling me all these yahoo and facebook employees who have taken over san francisco do not have any sons who can shoot the rock? i guess lacrosse is cracking now

You got the wrong sports my guy. They are playing badminton and cricket. Dont forget spelling bee too.

Reactions: noknight
Exactly.... I'm one of them! I think the Cricket, Chess, and Fortnite scores will rapidly improve. You have to remember as well that the Google, Facebook, etc aren't having children! The birthrate is way down...
single parent rate aint happening with housing cost in the city and the town... once grandma lose her section 8 its a wrap... so now they all in stockon... all these yahoo employees not having kids

I share an office room with some admins. We have a bond. We all only have 1 child. We've formed the Secret Society of Only Children among us. Seriously our main rationale is its too expensive to have more than 1. At least with 1 we can give them everything we can. Just have to hope they make alot of friends since they dont have siblings.

Renard any way you can stream this Folsom/Riordan game from your phone ? LOL

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I have to agree. Over half of Riordan alums live East of San Francisco. Notables: Damien Semien (father of SM-B grad Marcus Semien (SS for the A's); Marty Storti (father of Erich Storti @ DLS); Andre Crump Sr. (father of Football/Basketball standout Andre Crump Jr @ Monterey Trail).

Not to be too much of a smart alec, but it's really hard to live West of San Francisco...

SHELDON also won the D1 title in 2012 the year before the open giving them 6 title appearances in last 9 years And 5 of 8 open finals. .

Reactions: bella123
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. If this was true then the stats would reflect it also on the girls side. Even with SMS being an OPEN stalwart (and arguably the best program in the North over the last decade) the SJS woefully falls behind the CCS and ESPECIALLY the NCS in OPEN appearances.(on the girls side)

MC has been to more opens than any other team in Northern California!

MC has been to more opens than any other team in Northern California!
As they should especially with their ability to get foreign transfers. However they still don’t have most final appearances Sheldon has 5 and MC 4 . Most opens in a row Sheldon 6 MC 4. Wins Sheldon 2 + a co with O’Dowd . MC 1

As they should especially with their ability to get foreign transfers. However they still don’t have most final appearances Sheldon has 5 and MC 4 . Most opens in a row Sheldon 6 MC 4. Wins Sheldon 2 + a co with O’Dowd . MC 1
We have 5 appearances in the Championship game! We could make it 6 out of 9 as we are still playing as opposed to the other Elk Grove school on Kingsbridge drive.

so my mistake you are correct 5 ship games for Sheldon and MC. But since you want to throw jabs
MC is the Lebron of High school hoops.
No boundaries, online classes , etc etc and only 1 ship in 9 opens . Congratulations

so my mistake you are correct 5 ship games for Sheldon and MC. But since you want to throw jabs
MC is the Lebron of High school hoops.
No boundaries, online classes , etc etc and only 1 ship in 9 opens . Congratulations
You threw the jab, you always talk dirt on MC. I just knocked you on your arse!!

i don’t talk dirt on any team , player, coach etc. i only post informational facts. I admit i made a mistake on the 5x . Furthermore i made this thread 5 years ago for just that “information “not to get into a pissing match. So i won’t respond any further. . If you feel the need to continue please copy and paste to a new thread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT