ADVERTISEMENT

Open

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
Just looking at round 1.

My thoughts.

Salesian Over Folsom 50-45. Folsom will be right there but Salesian too deep and will grind out a win. If Folsom is to win they need a big night from Forbes.

Sheldon Over SJM 75-62. Sheldon rebounds after a tough loss to MC and beats SJM comfortably.

Bellarmine over MC 58-55 My Upset pick. Bellarmine is not the sort of team you want to play round 1.

BOD over CC 65-60. Odowd is on a role after a big win over LL.

Salesian over Folsom 62-50. Guard play to much for Folsom to handle. I’m sure Forbes will have a field day but not enough for the quicker Salesian. James Akinjo will be big time in that game.

Sheldon over SJM 70-58 Sheldon is a better and deeper team. I think they have the athleticism and toughness to make it difficult on Green.

MC over Bellarmine 62-54. MC much more size and talent. They go 10 deep. Bells will hang in most of the game but MC will won convincingly.

BOD 68-63 Capital Christian has good guards but i like O’Dowd’s guard play hands down. Hawkins could be a factor in the middle as CC has no real size.

Reactions: Sacsports33
These are going to be some great games. All three rounds each year are amazing. The week off helps all 8 teams prep and then the competition ratchets up and the difference between teams because essentially nonexistent.

Which Folsom team shows up? First half vs Sheldon or second? First half Folsom won't be able to make a comeback at Salesian but second half Folsom wins the game outright. Reality rests somewhere in the middle. I'll take Forbes to lead the bulldogs over Salesian

O'Dowd vs CC is the easiest to call. Odowd by 10+. CC always seems to come up small in big moments and the dragons have a knack for winning these games.

I see SJM vs Sheldon much like the Folsom game. I could honestly see either team winning by 10. Is SJM effected by the travel? Are they locked in? I love what huskies have been doing but SJM has loads of fire power. At the end of the day SJM doesn't have enough ballhandling to match the guard play of Sheldon. Sheldon by 8

MC vs Bellarmine will be the ultimate contrast of styles. The Crusaders better find some defensive discipline. Belles will grind out every possession. Upset special is Bellarmine on the road after getting a very disrespectful seeding will pull it out by 6.

Reactions: ds1968
I remember hearing about potential college guards for Folsom, if that's the case the Bulldogs have a chance. Salesian has lost in 1st rd last 2 years, granted @DLS. I don't see Akinjo & co. Going out in 1st rd 3x in a row. Salesian 58-52
O'dowd & CC play similar styles but O'Dowd is better imo & playing at home will help.
O'dowd 72-64
Only saw SJM 1x. Sheldon will be hungry & pissed off on how MC game finished + idk how the Central teams play but Sheldon will defend. I expect Currie to have a big game
Sheldon 67-60
I'd take Bellarmine if they were hosting. Going to Modesto, I gotta take Crusaders in a dogfight. 56-55

I'll take a swing...

Salesian's guards just ridiculously quick, and one of 'em is Akinjo. They have a great shot at going all the way, even over whatever SoCal coughs up... Pride beats Folsom 65-57.

Sheldon has too much speed and balance for SJM... If Green goes totally nuts and hangs up something like 45, maybe SJM can give 'em a run, but I'll go with Sheldon, 71-54.

MC has to use some gym other than their own bandbox, which could cause a hit on their home advantage... And the Bells are firing on all cylinders, but in the end MC is just a bit too fast. This game looks most likely of the four to go into OT or something, but I'll go with MC holding on 71-69.

CC seems to have slipped a bit since some huge early-season wins over Sheldon and Folsom, and I'm a tiny bit surprised they made the Open bracket. (this would have been a great year to make NorCal Open a 16-team tourney, imho... Just a whole pile of terrific teams running around here). Anyway, I'll go with the Dragons, who beat CC by 7 without Hawkins back in December... Oh... 74-55.

Of course, if we'd made NorCal Open 16 teams, Socal would have to do the same... But that's for some other thread.

Reactions: MoneyTeam0115
Don't underestimate Bellarmine. They shoot the 3 ball very well. Wojack has unlimited range and if he is hitting it opens it up for everyone else. They should have won last year up at Sheldon

Bishop Monty has to go thru SC in round 2. (team they just lost 2). Socal is brutal.

I keep talking about Bellarmine as well. I think its a bad matchup for MC. Bellarmine well tested after coming out of WCAL. If there is an upset in round 1 that is the game i see. I think the easiest game will be sheldon over SJM. I can see double digit win.

Folsom has very good quickness and team speed. Even against Salesian that won't be their achilles heal. Its how they have been playing the first half the last few games that will cost them. They can't dig themselves a 20 point hole.

Open is going to be fun. The rest of the brackets are a total shit show.

Bishop Monty has to go thru SC in round 2. (team they just lost 2). Socal is brutal.

I keep talking about Bellarmine as well. I think its a bad matchup for MC. Bellarmine well tested after coming out of WCAL. If there is an upset in round 1 that is the game i see. I think the easiest game will be sheldon over SJM. I can see double digit win.

Folsom has very good quickness and team speed. Even against Salesian that won't be their achilles heal. Its how they have been playing the first half the last few games that will cost them. They can't dig themselves a 20 point hole.

Open is going to be fun. The rest of the brackets are a total shit show.
SOCAL open division is a beast, but this yrs NORCAL open is a BEAST as well, no way Bellarmine a 6th seed, but that doesn't matter bcuz to me this yrs Nor Cal is a bit more difficult than in yrs past, only Salesian of course the heavy favorite, but they will be tested & don't be surprised if lower seeds win out, every 1 of these teams are TOP NOTCH, & I actually like O'Dowd to come out as the Nor Cal representative vs Sierra Canyon, jus my 2 cents after watching all the section title games over the wkd!!

Reactions: nostancenochance
SOCAL open division is a beast, but this yrs NORCAL open is a BEAST as well, no way Bellarmine a 6th seed, but that doesn't matter bcuz to me this yrs Nor Cal is a bit more difficult than in yrs past, only Salesian of course the heavy favorite, but they will be tested & don't be surprised if lower seeds win out, every 1 of these teams are TOP NOTCH, & I actually like O'Dowd to come out as the Nor Cal representative vs Sierra Canyon, jus my 2 cents after watching all the section title games over the wkd!!
I agree. I see O’Dowd coming out. Bigger and more athletic and can run with them

I must admit I'm a little shocked some are picking Folsom winning or the game being close. The guard play of Folsom is good, it does not compare to the Pride. Defensively Salesian is a machine. They take your best player out of the equation and force role players to win games. Forbes has to be some sort of factor, and quite frankly indent see it happening against Salesian. What the did to Jalen Green was insane. They wouldn' even let him get water without bumping him. I have MC over Bellermaine, tough to win there in March. O'Dowd seems to be on point now. SJM and Sheldon will be crazy. The Panthers have other player than green. Huskies can't let him have a 30pt Jalen Special. They should be very focused after a tough final loss. I like sheldon.

Reactions: Genethia
I must admit I'm a little shocked some are picking Folsom winning or the game being close. The guard play of Folsom is good, it does not compare to the Pride. Defensively Salesian is a machine. They take your best player out of the equation and force role players to win games. Forbes has to be some sort of factor, and quite frankly indent see it happening against Salesian. What the did to Jalen Green was insane. They wouldn' even let him get water without bumping him. I have MC over Bellermaine, tough to win there in March. O'Dowd seems to be on point now. SJM and Sheldon will be crazy. The Panthers have other player than green. Huskies can't let him have a 30pt Jalen Special. They should be very focused after a tough final loss. I like sheldon.
The only game I could call "upset" would be Folsom vs Salesian, other than that all the other games wouldn't be SHOCKING if a lower seeds comes out on top.... As far as a prediction, I have Salesian vs O'Dowd for the NorCal final, with the winner playing Sierra Canyon for the state title!!

Best of the Best! What a loaded field!

Salesian over Folsom. Pride too tough on defensive end.

Sheldon over SJM. When is the last time Sheldon lost at home? Not gonna happen Friday...

MC over Bells...This will be closest game, if Wojack gets hot, look out. Still think the depth of MC will be too much.

BOD over CC, this will be the only "blowout" BOD will win by double digits, especially if Hawkins plays.

Salesian/folsom - Folsom by 2
Sheldon/SJM - Sheldon by 8
MC/Bellarmine - Bellarmine by 3
BOD/CC - BOD by 5

Folsom/Shelson - Folsom by 4
Bellarmine/BOD - Bellarmine by 6

Folsom/Bellarmine - Folsom by 1

BOD/CC - BOD by 5

I don't kno Amttbo, if Vegas had a line 4 these games, I would take
BOD/CC - BOD by 5

I don't kno Attmb, if Vegas had a line I'd still take Salesian -9!!!! But that's just me??

For the upper half, Salesian gets to the norcal finals easily IMO but you never count out talent like a Green and Douglas duo. Those guys are both 6'6 averaging 24 and 28 each. If the guys around them get hot, they can pull out an upset IMO.

My two favorite teams this entire year have been BOD and MC, sucks that they have to meet in the second round. I'm gonna go ahead and go with MC upsetting (they're a top 3 seed so maybe it's not an upset) their way into the state finals. This team is 10 deep and has it all from the perimeter to the post, from ball handling to size. They're well coached. They've only lost 1 time with their full roster and that was to Salesian.

Last edited:
According to my sources, BOD is actually embracing the underdog role. I expect big things out of them. Love how they match up. I'm sticking with my gut, and taking them all the way!

Upset City Dot Com

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
According to my sources, BOD is actually embracing the underdog role. I expect big things out of them. Love how they match up. I'm sticking with my gut, and taking them all the way!

Upset City Dot Com
Ya me too!!! I kno Akinjo & co. for real, but I really like BOD if they meet up in the final, Hardy vs Akinjo probably "x" each other out but there's gonna other great matchups but BOD in a very tight one...

I don't see Folsom advancing but anybody who thinks this will be a cake walk for salesian is very mistaken and salesian has a recent history of getting bounced early in playoffs. I see a very low scoring type game. 50-45 or so. Folsom was probably a D1 team this year to be honest but they get to play with the big boys.

If
I don't see Folsom advancing but anybody who thinks this will be a cake walk for salesian is very mistaken and salesian has a recent history of getting bounced early in playoffs. I see a very low scoring type game. 50-45 or so. Folsom was probably a D1 team this year to be honest but they get to play with the big boys.
If O'Dowd makes it to the final(with Hawkins playing) won' be that big of an upset. They have 2 Pac 12 guards and Hawkins is a power 5 conference recruit. Plus like Salesian they have very good role players. Lou and staff coach their tails of in March. If Hawkins finds his stride done be shocked if O'Dowd runs table. Clearly not the underdog people potray.

Reactions: nostancenochance
is hawkins hurt? what is the story with him... people keep saying if he plays or not. those pac12 guards are either going to be very limited role players or eventually transfer. i just don't see it.

Hawkins played in the NCS Final, so I have no idea what would keep him from playing this week, unless he got hurt in practice or very late in Saturday's game...

I tend to believe at this time of the year the reason for so many so called upsets is due to the boy's don't care if there a 4 star or 5 star athlete on the court they just go out and play their butts off. There is always some team that will come along and measure a big recruit's heart. It happens all time and it will happen over the next few weeks. I would not be so high on a player that has not consistently stayed on the court this season. There's a problem with that situation. Wasn't there a big upset recently in the So Cal open level?

I tend to believe at this time of the year the reason for so many so called upsets is due to the boy's don't care if there a 4 star or 5 star athlete on the court they just go out and play their butts off. There is always some team that will come along and measure a big recruit's heart. It happens all time and it will happen over the next few weeks. I would not be so high on a player that has not consistently stayed on the court this season. There's a problem with that situation. Wasn't there a big upset recently in the So Cal open level?
Upsets in any of those higher tier Socal brackets may be considered somewhat upsets, but those teams down there are highly competitive and are stacked even tho they are lower seeds, up here an upset in let's say, that D-1 bracket would be considered more of an upset depending on where a team might be from..

@mistisoman true, however the various sections that make up the Nor Cal region rarely schedule each other. Also top NCS teams like Salesian and BOD didn’t schedule each other this season. The only way they will play is during a tournament match. Lastly ratings and rankings won't spare anyone, look at what seeds made it to last year's 2017 State Finals: Open Division #1 seed, D1 #3, D2 #3, D3 #4 and D4 the #3 seed.

Salesian over Foslom: Ball pressure and Akinjo end up wearing out Folsom

Bishop O'Dowd over Capital: Dragons are playing better heading into NorCals than past two years

Modesto Christian over Bellarmine: Closet first round game, but I'll go with the home team

Sheldon over SJM: Points will come in a hurry, but Sheldon ends up outlasting SJM

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
No upsets streak? I still say Bellarmine beats MC. Bells are battle tested. They will frustrate the hell out of MC.

Reactions: ds1968
MC will be to much for the Bells. To much talent, speed and size. It will be a close game but MC win by 7 or more.

MC will be to much for the Bells. To much talent, speed and size. It will be a close game but MC win by 7 or more.

I like Bellamine a lot but thought / hoped they'd get a better seeding / match up than having to play at MC. I gotta go with all the home teams in first round. I do like the winner of the Bells - MC game over BOD or CC in second round though. I don't see Hawkins as that much of a factor for BOD as he didn't look impressive at all to me against Las Lomas.

In the other bracket - I got Salesian v Sheldon which is a toss up as they have similar styles, quickness and athleticism but only one of them has Akinjo so I guess I got give Salesian the advantage.

On the SoCal front - Bishop Montgomery, Sierra Canyon, and Mater Dei are monsters. Mater Dei has elite college or pro-level height as they go 6'10"(Penn) / 6'8" (freshman) / two 6'6" (So Utah) guys who are thick and finally a 6' guard (Harvard). Bishop Montgomery and Sierra Canyon aren't that big but are more athletic. Needless to say, NorCal winning Open title would a major upset and will most likely be an interesting contrast of styles.

That SoCal open (sectional & regional) is in it's own right the STATE TITLE GAME due to the participants & in most yrs playing the NorCal champ for the state title has become their easiest opponent.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT