ADVERTISEMENT

Pac 12 lays an egg

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Oh, my. With one notable exception (the Bruins), the league overall proved to be dismal once again this weekend.

Not sure I follow. With exception of Washington who should be embarrassed putting up 7 on Montana , The 4-5 top teams took care of biz.

UCLA huge win
Oregon Beat a very solid Fresno State team
USC beat a much improved Sj State program
ASU /UTAH won easily Over weaker opponents.
Cal vs Nevada was a toss up to me. You got arguably the best QB in college for Nevada.

the rest of the league isn’t very good.

I agree with colhenry on this one. Yes Fresno State and San Jose State are two of the best MWC teams. But what should be the two flagship programs of the conference should have been more impressive in those games.

Cal and Nevada was closer to a toss up, but still a game that Cal shouldn't lose at home.

I agree with colhenry on this one. Yes Fresno State and San Jose State are two of the best MWC teams. But what should be the two flagship programs of the conference should have been more impressive in those games.

Cal and Nevada was closer to a toss up, but still a game that Cal shouldn't lose at home.
Cal was only favored by three. It’s cool to see Big Sky teams knock off Mountain West and Pac12 and also cool to see Mountain West teams knock off Pac12 teams

It’s amazing how the upper end of Big Sky is catching up with lower end of MW and the same can be said for the upper end of MW catching up with Pac12

UCLA beating LSU in California will just be another reason that SEC teams will continue to be reluctant to come out West. It’s pretty amazing to note that was only LSUs 2nd trip to California in the history of their program.

Reactions: 13 others
Montana's victory over Washington was truly historic. The Grizzlies were 1-17-1 vs. the Huskies going into Saturday's affair in Seattle. It was supposed to be a body bag game. It wasn't. The last time Montana defeated UW was in 1927 when the Grizzlies were members of the old Pacific Coast Conference, a forerunner of today's Pac-12. UCLA's win over LSU was nice. Montana's stunner over the No. 20 Huskies was out of this world.

Reactions: Bubba3000
A few really good wins- UCLA beating LSU. Oregon beating OSU, AT OSU.

Colorado should have won yesterday and blew it.

Washington losing to Montana was brutal, although I was happy to see Montana get the W.

ASU looked really flat against a really bad UNLV team. Daniel Ngata had some nice runs but looked to sustain what could be a bad arm injury. He was hurried off that locker room. I hope he’s ok. Very electric player. Any idea of badger? Is he hurt? Ineligible?

Reactions: coachlittle
Things have gotten so bad (with two notable exceptions at this point) that USC fired its head coach just two games into the 2021 campaign today. Coach Helton did not run over an elderly woman due to a DUI. He didn't assault someone at the Lickitty Splitz nudie bar. He didn't shove his wife down three flights of stairs. He didn't vote for Larry Elder. No. He got canned because of a lack of results. The administration indicated it couldn't wait. Again, the Trojans are in a state of disarray. What's new?

Cincinnati better go deep pockets to try and keep Fickell.
He’s the obvious choice but personally I would try to get Bill O’Brien the OC at Alabama.
He has an extensive college coaching resume including getting kids to attend Penn State during their ugly scandal.
He also was the QB coach and OC with the Patriot’s under Belichek and had a winning record as head coach of the Houston Texans over a six year period.
I personally see a coach who is a winner and has worked with winners that understands recruiting

Reactions: THEOC89
He’s the obvious choice but personally I would try to get Bill O’Brien the OC at Alabama.
He has an extensive college coaching resume including getting kids to attend Penn State during their ugly scandal.
He also was the QB coach and OC with the Patriot’s under Belichek and had a winning record as head coach of the Houston Texans over a six year period.
I personally see a coach who is a winner and has worked with winners that understands recruiting
I have no problem with his X's and O's but I wouldn't pick O'Brien to connect with kids better than Fickell. The problem with the USC job is that it has to be someone that loves the limelight. Maybe Hugh Freeze.

Clay is a nice guy. Players love him, parents love him, coaches love him. But you gotta win. Bill OB is the complete opposite of Clay. Fickell might be too midwest to live in LA. When SC is winning there might not be an easier place to recruit west of bama.

Reactions: remc and RedZone90
USC has been in a slow decline since Carroll left partially their own fault (Inept decision making) and partially out of their control (losing legendary coach and sanctions).

What I find interesting is over the past few years when Clay Helton has been on the hot seat, there were key coaches to go get (Chip Kelly, Chris Petersen, David Shaw, Urban Meyer), but now that the job is finally open, there doesn't seem to be that clear hire to go make.

Lucky for them is nobody but Oregon has really taken the mantle in the confernce and like @ankleassassin said, it is a place talent will flock to if you get it right.

So much for UCLA (and LSU if you care to look at it that way). Another woeful loss for the Pac-12. However, we would like to congratulate Oregon for its outstanding victory over a national powerhouse Saturday: Stony Brook. Excellent work. Nothing quite like a signature non-league W for the image of the fading Pac-12.

Last edited:
So much for UCLA (and LSU if you care to look at it that way). Another woeful loss for the Pac-12. However, we would like to congratulate Oregon for its outstanding victory over a national powerhouse Saturday: Stony Brook. Excellent work. Nothing quite like a signature non-league W for the image of the fading Pac-12.
they (ucla) are who we thought they were

Love that lettem off the hook take…

Right after…. “Practice? We’re talkin’ bout PRACTICE?? etc.

The schedule is the schedule, particularly after the previous weeks win over that cream puff Ohio St in Columbus

Reactions: THEOC89
Things have gotten so bad (with two notable exceptions at this point) that USC fired its head coach just two games into the 2021 campaign today. Coach Helton did not run over an elderly woman due to a DUI. He didn't assault someone at the Lickitty Splitz nudie bar. He didn't shove his wife down three flights of stairs. He didn't vote for Larry Elder. No. He got canned because of a lack of results. The administration indicated it couldn't wait. Again, the Trojans are in a state of disarray. What's new?
How much longer should they have tolerated Heltons mediocracy? It's his SIXTH season. You must hate USC football.46-24 career record. Should have gotten the axe 3 years ago.Since when does a 65% winning percentage assure coaching longevity?

Last edited:
The overall non-league results have been historically bad.
That's true, but the Pacs been bad for the last five years. It's interesting that you criticized Oregon for playing Stony Brook the week after beating Ohio St. And you seem to be critical of USC for firing a mediocre Head Coach. Why would you be critical of a school in the Pac firing a mediocre coach( the historically flagship football program of the conference) to try to improve themselves. Seems they are trying to better themselves by moving on from Helton. You obviously don't like SC for doing that, and that's ok. Just kinda hypocritical to rightfully bash the PAC, and then bash a PAC team that's trying to move on from the mediocrity you're pointing out throughout the conference. Oregon proved they're not a mediocre PAC 12 team. Stony Brook, so what? Even Alabama schedules Western Carolina and the Citadel sometimes.I don't think UCLA should be criticized too badly for losing to Fresno St. The FSU QB had a magic night, it happens.Fresno always gets up for PAC opponents, and I think this year they're a pretty good team. They played Oregon tough in their opener. Tougher than Ohio St played Oregon in fact. Certainly tougher than LSU played UCLA.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT