ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week-4

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week 4

I thought the top of the Gabilan would be close. Palma VS Aptos proved it. So, after a fantastic comeback, Aptos gets rewarded with a trip to the PIT against Salinas. Should be another great game! Hollister has not looked pretty in any of its games, but they keep on winning.

In the Mission, Santa Cruz still looks like the team to beat at 3-0 and outscoring it opponents by 35 points per game. Monterey is also undefeated, but their schedule has been a bit softer and games much closer. The last undefeated team, Carmel, has not played anybody. Seriously they have not had a game in 2 weeks and have a scheduled bye this week. They will start league play at 1-0 next week.

The Cypress is still King City’s division to lose, but Scott’s Valley is lurking in the shadows. The rest of the division seems to be a notch below.

The Santa Lucia will get it’s first look at RLS, as the Pirates take the field from the first time all year. And it is not due to Covid. It is because they are a boarding school that does bring kids back until September. They historically only have 8-9 games a year.

Last week 9-2 Overall 36-7

Gabilan

Thu 09/16 Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Christopher (Gilroy, CA), 7:00pm: All of Alvarez games this year have been on Thursday night and they are 2-0. Christopher snaps the win streak. Christopher 24-14

Fri 09/17 Palma (Salinas, CA) at Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA), 7:30pm: I thought MVC would give Salinas a better game last week, Palma is coming off a heartbreaking loss. MVC may stay close until Palam wakes up. Palma 45-14

Fri 09/17 Aptos (CA) at Salinas (CA), 7:30pm: I picked Aptos to finish 1st and Salinas to finish 4th . Salinas is playing much better than I thought, Aptos is coming off an incredible comeback and is probably a bit emotionally drained. Everything points to Salinas to win this game, but am going to stick to my preseason pick: Aptos 35-30

Fri 09/17 Alisal (Salinas, CA) at San Benito (Hollister, CA), 7:30pm: All Hollister is doing is wining, ugly. That continues vs the ground and pound of Alisal. Hollister17-14

Mission

Fri 09/17 King City (CA) at Gonzales (CA), 7:30pm: Battle of the “megaphone”. I believe this is the longest rivalry in Monterey County. Gonzales look like it is in complete rebuild mode after a bad loss to Greenfield. King City gets the Megaphone back. KC 35-10

Fri 09/17 Soledad (CA) at North Monterey County (Castroville, CA), 7:30pm – NMC beat a bad Pajaro team, Soledad beat a bad Greenfield team. Soledad has the better win. Soledad 28-19

Fri 09/17 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Watsonville (CA), 7:00pm- 2 bigger schools that have struggled of late on the football field. Giving the edge to the home team. Watsonville 35-21

Sat 09/18 Gilroy (CA) at Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA), 2:00pm- Neither team had played great this year. But Gilroy is winless vs better competition. Gilroy 42-12

Cypress

Fri 09/17 Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA) at Pacific Grove (CA), 7:00pm: “Pirateball” is back!!! RLS is ready to burst on to the scene. They may have one of the best athletes in the whole PCAL lining up at WR/DB. The question is there enough to support him. This is game will be a great test. PG had a nice win 2 weeks vs Gonzales, but after the Spartans dropped turd vs Greenfield, that win does not look. I expect a close game, and you all know there is no way I am picking PG! RLS 24-20

Sat 09/18 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) vs Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA) at Cabrillo College (Aptos, CA), 7:30pm – This maybe Rancho’s best shot at a victory this year. I just don’t know if they can get by St Francis, who just beat DLS last week. (I am just teasing). St. Francis 21-14

Sat 09/18 Arroyo (San Lorenzo, CA) at San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA), 2:00pm- Due to Covid SLV has only played 1 Game, but their original non-league schedule was really odd. 3 of the 4 were out of section. most schools try to play teams close to home. Arroyo 24-14

Sat 09/18 Greenfield (CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 2:00pm- Scott’s Valley should be able to contain Greenfields running attack, and the Falcon offense will be good enough to score some pints. Scotts Valley 21-7

Santa Lucia

Fri 09/17 Valley Christian (Roseville, CA) at Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA), 5:00pm- Harbor could win its 3rd game? And be 3-1? I really want it to happen, but Valley Christian, on paper, looks to be a little better. Valley Christian 35-34

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Nice write-up. I think Salinas will pull out a win against Aptos. Salinas line is very physical and may give Aptos some problems on both sides of the ball. Salinas should be able to score on Aptos as well. Probably like you say will be higher scoring game. Playing at the Pit will help Salinas. I think Salinas may edge Aptos out, but going to be a good game. Has league implications. If Aptos wins they probably win league. If Salinas wins, it will probably be a 3 team or 2 team co-championship. Hollister could be a spoiler and their defense is very good but they will need to get better on offense to win league.

Reactions: RLS13
I saw part of the Christopher-Alvarez game... oh, boy.

Alvarez is not good at all. Very sloppy and don't seem to have good football acumen, which questions their coaching.

Christopher had two guys on the OL that looked like WRs. So undersized. Saw part of their game with Hollister, too, where the 'Balers routinely blew them up at the LOS... which leads me to further think that they really aren't that good, given they barely beat Christopher. I don't get why Devine has them at #1.

I also like Salinas' chances tonight.

I saw part of the Christopher-Alvarez game... oh, boy.

Alvarez is not good at all. Very sloppy and don't seem to have good football acumen, which questions their coaching.

Christopher had two guys on the OL that looked like WRs. So undersized. Saw part of their game with Hollister, too, where the 'Balers routinely blew them up at the LOS... which leads me to further think that they really aren't that good, given they barely beat Christopher. I don't get why Devine has them at #1.

I also like Salinas' chances tonight.
I would have top 3 so far
1 Aptos (think Palma is better but because of the win are here)
2 Salinas (will battle with Palma)
3 Palma (Will battle with Salinas)

4- Hollister - better than MVC or Christopher.

If Salinas wins tonight....game against Palma will determine whether a three way tie in Gab or Salinas champ. Aptos will be champ if they win tonight at the Pit.

I would have top 3 so far
1 Aptos (think Palma is better but because of the win are here)
2 Salinas (will battle with Palma)
3 Palma (Will battle with Salinas)

4- Hollister - better than MVC or Christopher.

If Salinas wins tonight....game against Palma will determine whether a three way tie in Gab or Salinas champ. Aptos will be champ if they win tonight at the Pit.
The Salinas - Palma game might be called the “Be Careful What You Wish For Bowl”. A win by Palma likely sends them to D-I. A loss could drop them to D-II. If Salinas is 9-0 (or 8-0), they may end up in D-I, either way.

I’ll admit that despite the fact I had confidence in a Salinas win over Aptos, I thought it would be around 42-30. I didn’t see this much control.

Will be interesting to see where they get ranked on this site this week as well as whether they get listed on CalHi’s bubble list, where both Palma and Aptos resided last week.

So I think it is safe to say I had Salinas ranked to low to begin the season. Wow, not the win, but the complete domination. Very impressive!

And I don’t want to talk about RLS v PG☹️😢

Reactions: Cal 14 and MC415
Heard Salinas v Alisal may have been cancelled. Protocols. Second Salinas game cancelled (Placer). First they may be able to play a game in their off week. Haven't heard if replaced. Question is- it seems it could hurt Cowboys playoff seeding (power points) even if they are co-champs in league if they play only 8 or 9 games in the season and one short in league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT