ADVERTISEMENT

Pinewood wins San Diego Classic 3A title

Astrom is one very tough, talented cookie. She may be 5-9 but she plays like she's six-feet.

I think Mitty is the favorite with Haley Jones and some young talent returning plus the two transfers. Pinewood is 2 for me with Jump, Astrom and company.

Overall, it should be a more wide open, but down year in NorCal

Good call, Doug ... SMS apparently has a tall freshman coming in, and teams like Heritage and East Side College Prep will be strong, but even though it will be a competitive and fun season (aren't they all?), I don't see two teams starting the season ranked in the top ten nationally.

The Top 2 teams are PW, Mitty and watch out for McClatchy. SMS is down and I'm curious to see how coach G does with just a regular very good HS team and not one with absolutely ridiculous talent like he's had over the last few yrs. CLET, BOD, Salesian, SJoes look like the clear top teams in the NCS as MM and CN have taken a step back after being hit hard by graduation.
Big question is will CLET have any postseason sanctions after last season's debacle. ESP lost their best player to graduation and their best youngster to a transfer to Mitty. They will be in the 2nd tier with MM and CN. I like Heritage also and have them in the 2nd tier to start with a chance to break thru to the top tier. They have a preseason game vs CN which should let everyone know where they stand.

The Top 2 teams are PW, Mitty and watch out for McClatchy. SMS is down and I'm curious to see how coach G does with just a regular very good HS team and not one with absolutely ridiculous talent like he's had over the last few yrs. CLET, BOD, Salesian, SJoes look like the clear top teams in the NCS as MM and CN have taken a step back after being hit hard by graduation.
Big question is will CLET have any postseason sanctions after last season's debacle. ESP lost their best player to graduation and their best youngster to a transfer to Mitty. They will be in the 2nd tier with MM and CN. I like Heritage also and have them in the 2nd tier to start with a chance to break thru to the top tier. They have a preseason game vs CN which should let everyone know where they stand.
Pinewood and the rest.

I think Pinewood will be very good, but they will miss Briana Claros ... and Mitty has two transfers, O'Dowd returns almost everyone and Salesian does too.

It's never easy to get to the NorCal Open title game, much less win a state championship, and all it takes is an injury, some bad luck in a crucial game or an out-of-body experience by an opponent (Pinewood has played that role before) to derail a promising season.

It would be helpful if Doc had some JV players he developed to step up or have two transfer starters show up.

yup thats too bad... maybe he should have found a way to use a 6'+ freshman in his rotation... I bet she gets D1 offers before she ever steps foot on the court for AM

yup thats too bad... maybe he should have found a way to use a 6'+ freshman in his rotation... I bet she gets D1 offers before she ever steps foot on the court for AM
Can't throw shade at a state Champ

>Best team in the state until March.

This is not a pointed comment, as the received wisdom is that it's all about championships, but I'd be happy to be the best team in the state at any time, and I think most players and coaches feel the same.

When you look back on a season/career, the championships are nice, but the experience of playing on a quality team with good players is what really matters.

>Best team in the state until March.

This is not a pointed comment, as the received wisdom is that it's all about championships, but I'd be happy to be the best team in the state at any time, and I think most players and coaches feel the same.

When you look back on a season/career, the championships are nice, but the experience of playing on a quality team with good players is what really matters.
You are correct but when a team is the hands down favorite from June 1 until March and loses when all the chips are on the table it can't feel good. This year they may have finally loaded up with the transfers to secure the ultimate prize they have been in search for since the open division was created.

Doc and his staff are not stupid.
If the 6ft frosh didn't play as much as her parents liked I'm sure the coaching staff had their reasons. And I'm sure they were legit reasons.

Come on Lou you know I wasn’t calling doc or his staff stupid. My point is everyone is making a huge deal about this transfer and she didn’t play more than 30 seconds in either Mitty game or the state game. So at some point either PW couldn’t find a way to use her, or AM isn’t getting the star transfer it’s being made out to be... can’t be both right??

No one called anyone stupid. The point being made was that DOC isn't stupid....if the frosh was good enough to play the PW coaching staff would have gotten her the minutes. Perhaps the hype by P2P and Cal Hi and Harold A. wasn't quite justified. That's not to say she wont become a beast but as a Frosh she wasn't apparently ready(as many aren't).

1 of the most repeated gripes I hear from the coaches I talk to is the entitlement issues with incoming freshman and playing time. Coaches tell me over and over about spending most of their time in the coaches office talking to frosh parents who are upset Susie superstar isn't getn the run they think she deserves.

Anyways.....I'm sure she will go to Mitty and have a great HS career, win a bunch of games, get recruited and play college ball.

No one called anyone stupid. The point being made was that DOC isn't stupid....if the frosh was good enough to play the PW coaching staff would have gotten her the minutes. Perhaps the hype by P2P and Cal Hi and Harold A. wasn't quite justified. That's not to say she wont become a beast but as a Frosh she wasn't apparently ready(as many aren't).

1 of the most repeated gripes I hear from the coaches I talk to is the entitlement issues with incoming freshman and playing time. Coaches tell me over and over about spending most of their time in the coaches office talking to frosh parents who are upset Susie superstar isn't getn the run they think she deserves.

Anyways.....I'm sure she will go to Mitty and have a great HS career, win a bunch of games, get recruited and play college ball.
And maybe it had nothing to do with basketball. The high school experience at Pinewood is significantly different than the experience at Mitty. Maybe the fit just wasn't right, and it had nothing to do with playing time. #glasshalffull

Reactions: hoopjunkie21
The big difference in high school is that suddenly girls are playing against opponents who are three or four years older. A big deal is made in club ball about playing a grade up, but the difference between a senior and a freshman is much, much greater. Not only is it physical -- strength and size -- it's also mental -- experience and maturity.

A solid senior can make a more talented freshman look pretty bad at times ...

Reactions: dnambisan
And maybe it had nothing to do with basketball. The high school experience at Pinewood is significantly different than the experience at Mitty. Maybe the fit just wasn't right, and it had nothing to do with playing time. #glasshalffull
Yeah that is it. If she played 30 minutes a game and was All State the experience would have been better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT