ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburg Passing Tournament Saturday

Paloma

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2012
I hear there’s a big passing tournament at Pittsburg on Satrday starting at 9am.

Some teams I was told are Pitt, DLS, El Cerrito, Whitney, Campo, and Wooster of Reno.

Bring your sunblock!

....and Antioch, Irvington, Concord, Rio Linda, Cardinal Newman, Rio Americana, Deer Valley, and Stellar Prep. It was a good day. LOTS of games. Could hardly keep up!

Imho, the teams of the day (in no order): Antioch, Pitt, DLS, ElCerrito, Cardinal Newman

Honorable mention: Whitney (good D, the offense needs some work), Stellar Prep.

Then the rest
....and yes I got hot!!!

....and Antioch, Irvington, Concord, Rio Linda, Cardinal Newman, Rio Americana, Deer Valley, and Stellar Prep. It was a good day. LOTS of games. Could hardly keep up!

Imho, the teams of the day (in no order): Antioch, Pitt, DLS, ElCerrito, Cardinal Newman

Honorable mention: Whitney (good D, the offense needs some work), Stellar Prep.

Then the rest
....and yes I got hot!!!
Spartanzrule…..In your opinion, who looked the best as there were a number of QB's in this show case that could really standout...Kaiser told me to stay home as it was too hot, so I missed the whole thing...

Newman lost a really good QB (Barrington to ASU) but I hear they have some studs returning and a big time 6"5 wideout in Jake Woods. Any insights? Should be a tough out in D3. Can't wait for this year. Can't recall when teams like Pitt, Folsom, and DLS have been this strong.

Spartanzrule…..In your opinion, who looked the best as there were a number of QB's in this show case that could really standout...Kaiser told me to stay home as it was too hot, so I missed the whole thing...[/QUOTE

Man, it’s hard to tell with these tourneys. And I watched as much as I could, but admittedly didn’t see every snap of every game. And this is just today. Not saying that these are the “best” teams in order. That said, I honestly would say that not one team dramatically stood out today. But If I had to pick one team, it’d have to be

1.). DLS. I know I’m a slightly homered obviously, but I am confident in my objectivity. When Sparty isn’t playing well, I will be the first to say they look like shit. When they were locked in today, you could tell they were the best team. I think that the Folsom game in week 0 has their attention. Their soph QB was good last week, and was even better this week. Lots of reps for him. Hard to believe he’s only a soph. Lots of talent on both sides for DLS. They will not be one dimensional in ‘18. B++

2.). Pitt wasn’t as good as last week in my opinion, but still did really well, and STILL made a case for the the top spot today. I really like their QB (had a decent day...great last week...probably the best QB in the bunch...just not today). Talent and size at just about every position. This team is going to be good and they know it. The game against Cen10 is going to be good. I can’t wait to see DLS and Pitt in the NCS final. They will meet in my opinion. I’d like to see Pitt play Folsom then we’d really know who the top 3 are in NorCal.
B+

3.). Antioch was a surprise today. They played DLS and Pitt pretty even. They’ve got a QB with a really good arm. Not sure of his name or year. They’ve got some tall, athletic receivers that made some nice plays. I think theyll score points, but will give up points as well.
B~

4.). El Cerrito looked good too. They’ve got a solid QB as well. Made some good throws. He made one against DLS from the right hash to the left sideline and about 20 yards downfield that was spot on. Beautiful. Their defense looked ok at times, but struggled against the better teams. C

5.) Cardinal Newman. They’ve got a really good QB with good mechanics and a strong arm. He may have had the best day from what I saw. The WRs are quick and have good hands. But this team is just a little on the small side. I hope they’ve got some meat up front to protect their QB.
C

QB ranking for TODAY

1. Cardinal Newman
2. DLS
3. Pitt
4. Antioch
5. Whitney-Rocklin (he’s a gamer and did great with what he had to work with...which wasn’t much)
6. El Cerrito
7. Wooster
8. Rio Linda
Obviously, this is just one man’s opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Newman lost a really good QB (Barrington to ASU) but I hear they have some studs returning and a big time 6"5 wideout in Jake Woods. Any insights? Should be a tough out in D3. Can't wait for this year. Can't recall when teams like Pitt, Folsom, and DLS have been this strong.

I didn’t see the 6’5” kid. Injured? Honestly, they looked smallish to me. The QB is going to be good. Hard to replace a guy going D1, but I Don’t think that they’ll have a huge drop off. I think that he had the best day today. And their defense, again smallish, but quick. They cover over the top really well. Not to say that theryre not studs. They will be good this year in D3. No doubt. Yeah, we’ve got some really good teams up here in NorCal. Can’t wait for the season.

Antioch QB will be one of the tops in NorCal this year. Sparta is Sparta, solid everywhere except at QB position they are average, never the best 7x7 team. Pitt looks and played the part, as loaded as they have ever been. EC has solid talent at some of the skill positions. Campo & Newman with decent QB’s as usual, not the same talent pool as others, good teams.

Newman probably looks small next to some of these teams like Pitt/DLS. (heck they make some colleges look small). Woods kids sort of late bloomer that kept growing. He went from good HS player to D1 prospect quickly. He might not have been there. Going to be some great football in norcal this year. Can't wait.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Antioch QB will be one of the tops in NorCal this year. Sparta is Sparta, solid everywhere except at QB position they are average, never the best 7x7 team. Pitt looks and played the part, as loaded as they have ever been. EC has solid talent at some of the skill positions. Campo & Newman with decent QB’s as usual, not the same talent pool as others, good teams.
So disappointed in El Cerrito. No wonder players have been beating down doors to transfer out of there. I thought the new head coach was going to get things turned around but the game against Pittsburg was embarrassing. I watched them against De La Salle and I didn’t see any of the taunting or raucous behavior that I saw towards Pittsburg. Unfortunate since El Cerrito has so many talented guys. Bipoduct of 7 on 7 leagues if you ask me as well as enabling coaching staffs. Galli had enough and pulled the plug on their game.

That being said, agree with posts above. Pittsburg looks very strong. De La Salle looks solid. I liked Whitney as well. Another team I liked, although undersized is Rio Ameciano. They looked well coached! Apparently for Pittsburg/Oregon star Rashon Harris is their defensive coordinator.

Reactions: concrete17
Cardinal Newman's dual threat QB Jackson Pavitt (6-1, 185) class of 2020 looks like he will be very good. Nice timing on passes and very mobile downhill runner. Very athletic.

Ya, I was in attendance and pretty spot on with what has been being said. Pitt looked the part and played very well. Their defense looked a little better than their offense. I also had a second to talk to a few Whitney players and they had said that their old coach did something wrong and they had sanctions? put on them. They said they have had about 10 days of install this summer and no spring ball. They looked pretty darn good for only 10 days with a new staff and new offense/defense. Cardinal Newman was a solid team only about 15 guys out there for them. De La Salle had some good looking boys, but the QB spot is still a problem. Antioch and El Cerrito had some good looking boys as well. Was a really fun day and my two boys enjoyed watching all that ball. I will be headed down August 10th to watch Jesuit and can hopefully post some insight on the boards after that is all said and done!

Ya, I was in attendance and pretty spot on with what has been being said. Pitt looked the part and played very well. Their defense looked a little better than their offense. I also had a second to talk to a few Whitney players and they had said that their old coach did something wrong and they had sanctions? put on them. They said they have had about 10 days of install this summer and no spring ball. They looked pretty darn good for only 10 days with a new staff and new offense/defense. Cardinal Newman was a solid team only about 15 guys out there for them. De La Salle had some good looking boys, but the QB spot is still a problem. Antioch and El Cerrito had some good looking boys as well. Was a really fun day and my two boys enjoyed watching all that ball. I will be headed down August 10th to watch Jesuit and can hopefully post some insight on the boards after that is all said and done!
I keep reading that the QB spot on DLS is a possible problem and I wonder if the QB from North Gate will later down the schedule take to the field and direct the Spartans.??? And you can bet that the current QB for DLS is going to improve between now and August 10th/11th...For the Jamboree...

I keep reading that the QB spot on DLS is a possible problem and I wonder if the QB from North Gate will later down the schedule take to the field and direct the Spartans.??? And you can bet that the current QB for DLS is going to improve between now and August 10th/11th...For the Jamboree...

Hmmm. I’m not sure what some of these guys are seeing that leads them to believe that DLS has “problem” at QB. Their sophomore QB is a stud and DLS is happy to have him. He has probably the most live arm out of the whole group. He’s only a soph so his strength and accuracy, which is already pretty good, will only improve. He’s got a huge upside. At 6-0 and about 175 lbs, he’s quick and fast, he’s going to run the veer nicely. Make no mistake and don’t let anyone else tell ya different, it’s its his team for next three years. The NG QB, who I thought did a good job at NG (but is no DLS), hasn’t thrown a pass since he’s been there. He’s a good athlete that will play WR and FS when he’s eligible. Barring injuries, I don’t see him playing Meaningful QB minutes this year. Maybe late in games or games against Foothill or Cal etc.

Reactions: concrete17
I am just saying what I saw and the DLS QB's were not on target on a consistent basis. Can they get better? sure, but at the 7-on-7 that took part at Pitt this past weekend they were middle to bottom of the pack with QB throws throughout the day.

Saying that.... this is only 7-on-7 and DLS is well lets just say much better than how they do at a 7-on-7 invitational. They had some boys that just put other teams to shame. Foski might be one of the biggest and most athletic looking high school kids I have ever seen!

Reactions: SpartanzRule
I am just saying what I saw and the DLS QB's were not on target on a consistent basis. Can they get better? sure, but at the 7-on-7 that took part at Pitt this past weekend they were middle to bottom of the pack with QB throws throughout the day.

Saying that.... this is only 7-on-7 and DLS is well lets just say much better than how they do at a 7-on-7 invitational. They had some boys that just put other teams to shame. Foski might be one of the biggest and most athletic looking high school kids I have ever seen!
Good point. De La Salle is going to run the ball. Period! Their fans get over excited any time their QB throws a spiral. But their QB is going to run the heck out of the De La Salle offense run plays.

Also heard they picked up another stud quarterback from the Pittsburg school district which is another kid that apparently barely had a 2.0 but was still accepted. Wonder how many 3.0 kids who don’t play football weren’t accepted. The brotherhood wins again.

Going to be an awesome season regardless of 7 on 7 matches.

Reactions: SpartanzRule
Haha. I get it. I do get a little homer-like sometimes...obviously. But I respect everyone's opinion. But I still think that the DLS Qb is going to be something special by DLS standards. The way I can describe him is that he runs like Sweeney and throws like Houston...well that's the hope at least. I'm pretty sure that DLS won't have a QB problem going into this season. I'm pretty excited about NorCal this season :)

And just FYI (if you haven't seen it), the first national poll came out yesterday . Jeff Fischers' from HFBA. Folsom #24, DLS #26, Pitt #94, Serra #104

Cardinal Newman's dual threat QB Jackson Pavitt (6-1, 185) class of 2020 looks like he will be very good. Nice timing on passes and very mobile downhill runner. Very athletic.

Its amazing how Newman just reloads at the QB position year in and out. Go back a long time to guys like Max Pond, Randy Wright, Jordon Brookshire, Beau Barrington, and now Jackson Pavitt. Basically all of these guys were/are college QB's. Cronin continues to do his thing.

I'm not surprised Whitney did well as they had a fairly open offense in the past but I've heard they are running the veer this coming year so passing is less emphasized. Maybe the new coach will run a hybrid offense.

I'm not surprised Whitney did well as they had a fairly open offense in the past but I've heard they are running the veer this coming year so passing is less emphasized. Maybe the new coach will run a hybrid offense.
GUYS..whitney has a very good QB who can pass as well as run, we will get a better luck at him at the Pittsburg Jamboree...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT