ADVERTISEMENT

Placer vs Crenshaw

43-40 Hillmen but Crenshaw have the ball 1st and 10 with 1:50 left, deep in Placer territory

Final 46-43 Cougars.Congrats to Crenshaw that was a great game,that speed hurt the Hillmen.
And a HUGE Congratulations to our lil strawchewers from Auburn,they're young they played hard and they fought like hell.......Bravo Placer Hillmen Bravo.......thanks for a fabulous year!
Auburn is very proud of you,enjoy Disneyland you deserve it.

Last edited:
I know it's irrelevant now but can someone make sense why Crenshaw decided to go for 2?

I was there last night and it was an incredible game! There was a huge crowd who made the trip of over 400 miles from Auburn--more than on the home side, although their crowd was not small. The boys played so hard, were not intimidated, did not back down, and matched Crenshaw score for score. The Crenshaw coaches were smart to slow down their last drive so that Placer didn't have a lot of time to drive down the field at the end.

Everyone we met from Crenshaw was super welcoming and positive. I heard great things about the food at the stadium. So yes it wasn't a neutral field, but it wasn't a bad place for a visiting team to play. It's a shame that the outcome wasn't a win for Placer, but they had an awesome season and Auburn is proud of them!

Fantastic game. Neither team could stop the other. "What if?" Placer LET Crenshaw score with 3.5 min left. It was obvious we couldn't stop them and vice versa.
Seems like a wrong thing but i believe we had a better chance to win on offense rather than on D.

I know it's irrelevant now but can someone make sense why Crenshaw decided to go for 2?

What I heard on the broadcast was that the announcers spoke to the Crenshaw kicker before the game about FG's this season and the kid said he hadn't kicked one all season, so I don't think he was very reliable from PAT either. Maybe the coach felt he had a better chance of scoring the 2 than kicking the 1 cause he had moved the ball fairly easily against the Hillmen. Hillmen could not cover the speedy receivers from Crenshaw....they constantly getting open.

Fantastic game. Neither team could stop the other. "What if?" Placer LET Crenshaw score with 3.5 min left. It was obvious we couldn't stop them and vice versa.
Seems like a wrong thing but i believe we had a better chance to win on offense rather than on D.
Great point OG,I was just getting ready to post that idea as it did go thru my mind while talking with my son in Chicago who was also watching the game.Crenshaw could NOT stop placers run game(WingT)they chewed up time and moved ball up and dn the field and at the end they SCORED,with 3 1/2 to 4 mins left and placer up 43-40 why not let them score and save that time,even if Crenshaw went for 2 the score would be 48-43 and a td still wins.Placer is better at throwing when they WANT to as opposed to throwing when they HAVE to,they could have done clock management and set up pass from the run.Even with getting ball bk after the Crenshaw go ahead td and 1:35 on the clock the Hillmen still got to the cougar 35 I believe and a shot at Hail Mary or maybe a game tying fg.BUT that was not the case,and the result was a 46-43 loss in the state bowl,but even in this hard fought very close loss the Hillmen are WINNERS as well,this team returns a BOATLOAD of stars that played in this championship game and the EXPERIENCE they got and learned vs not only Crenshaw but Salinas (D4AA Regional) is huge.......really huge!Placer will be even better next year with what they accomplished this yr as a young team,so again I say Congratulations and thank you Placer for a FABULOUS year......Bravo!Go Placer....Go NorCal.

He only missed one PAT all game. Had they went for the PAT and make it, they go up by 4 and force Placer to drive the entire field and score a TD. With them trying for 2 and failing to convert gave Placer a chance to tie them with a field goal.
I know it's a moot point now but I just couldn't understand that decision.
Crenshaw going for 2 and miss.

46-43 Crenshaw leads with 1:38 left.

He only missed one PAT all game. Had they went for the PAT and make it, they go up by 4 and force Placer to drive the entire field and score a TD. With them trying for 2 and failing to convert gave Placer a chance to tie them with a field goal.
I know it's a moot point now but I just couldn't understand that decision.

The way the game flowed was that Crenshaw moved the ball quickly up the
field to score, the Hillmen were more methodical and it took longer. They didn't leave the Hillmen much time to score on their last drive because it was clear they (Placer) couldn't just run the ball up the field like they had been, there wasn't enough time for Placer to score without throwing the ball most of the time, which is not what they do.

I think between the fact that Crenshaw's kicker is not that good and how much time was left, made the 2-point option an ok option given how easy they had scored against Placer inside the 10, plus it would take a few more ticks off the clock.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other...obviously they didn't convert, but they may not have converted the extra point. I see your point for sure but it was as clear-cut as it might have been if their kicker was super solid.

I was there last night and it was an incredible game! There was a huge crowd who made the trip of over 400 miles from Auburn--more than on the home side, although their crowd was not small. The boys played so hard, were not intimidated, did not back down, and matched Crenshaw score for score. The Crenshaw coaches were smart to slow down their last drive so that Placer didn't have a lot of time to drive down the field at the end.

Everyone we met from Crenshaw was super welcoming and positive. I heard great things about the food at the stadium. So yes it wasn't a neutral field, but it wasn't a bad place for a visiting team to play. It's a shame that the outcome wasn't a win for Placer, but they had an awesome season and Auburn is proud of them!
Refreshing to hear from a Placer supporter that Crenshaw was a great host. I didn't expect anything different but you never know when someone new comes to town. From what I saw on the internet feed it look like both teams respected each others game. And it was a very competitive game at that. I didn't see any cheap shots by either program. All I saw was two programs rooting for their respective teams and respecting the other team as well as the refs.

That said, enjoy your short break and the sky is the limit next year. Congrats, Placer Hillmen on your championship season.

The Junkie

Refreshing to hear from a Placer supporter that Crenshaw was a great host. I didn't expect anything different but you never know when someone new comes to town. From what I saw on the internet feed it look like both teams respected each others game. And it was a very competitive game at that. I didn't see any cheap shots by either program. All I saw was two programs rooting for their respective teams and respecting the other team as well as the refs.

That said, enjoy your short break and the sky is the limit next year. Congrats, Placer Hillmen on your championship season.

The Junkie
Well said FJ well said.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101

The Junkie

They were very sad to lose because they are a tight group and wanted to win this for their seniors, but as games go it was great: clean, no one got hurt, and either team could've won. There was mutual respect between the two sides: helping each other up after plays, Crenshaw players even hugging and consoling distraught Placer players after the game. Two such different teams, from such different parts of CA playing each other so well and so tough. What football should be.

Wow. What a contrast of styles going head to head.

Congrats to the Hillmen! I can' wait to drive 20 min up the road on Folsom/Auburn to catch a game up there next year. One of the coolest venues around. Awesome sauce!

Reactions: championcif75
Crenshaw players even hugging and consoling distraught Placer players after the game. Two such different teams, from such different parts of CA playing each other so well and so tough. What football should be.
Not being political but this is what makes America great. As you've stated 1227Elevation, two different teams come together for the first time and show respect for each other. That's why sports to me is the best healer when it comes to bringing people together. Both of these programs are State Champs in my book because they embraced humanity over anything else. Much respect to the Placer Hillmen and Crenshaw "The Shaw" Cougars for showing all of us the bigger picture. Love it!!!!

Not being political but this is what makes America great. As you've stated 1227Elevation, two different teams come together for the first time and show respect for each other. That's why sports to me is the best healer when it comes to bringing people together. Both of these programs are State Champs in my book because they embraced humanity over anything else. Much respect to the Placer Hillmen and Crenshaw "The Shaw" Cougars for showing all of us the bigger picture. Love it!!!!

This game was high school football.

That tweet by Crenshaw's Ahmir75 says it all,that in my book is winning with class,and not just from Amir from the entire Crenshaw team and coaches and fans.....warms this man's heart from 2 such different teams.....Congratulations to both teams....it was a Great CIF D4AA Championship game.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
That tweet by Crenshaw's Ahmir75 says it all,that in my book is winning with class,and not just from Amir from the entire Crenshaw team and coaches and fans.....warms this man's heart from 2 such different teams.....Congratulations to both teams....it was a Great CIF D4AA Championship game.
I remember in the 80's when Crenshaw was known as the king of basketball in the state under legendary coach Willie West. I've seen their athletes lose big time basketball games and shake their opponents hands at the end of the game with tears in their eyes.

So yes champ, Crenshaw may be in a lower class neighborhood but it's a school filled with pride and class. I wouldn't have a problem coaching there if I was still on the market.

Legendary Coach Willie West: 8 state championships at Crenshaw High.

Go to 1:56

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT