ADVERTISEMENT

Poly drops JV

Pierce....smh. Trying to coach high school like it's NFL.
When he took over he cut all his levels down to 65. Each level had 80-90.

I respected the move at the same time I knew he wasn't out there recruiting kids in the hallways kind of had a feeling he felt entitled to have so many. 2017 kids not hearing it. This ain't the 80's or 90's even 2000's. Telling high school kids they have to compete to be on the team will scare kids away. Definitely the fillers he needs per level that aren't stars. So really this doesn't surprise me.

Secondly, the man has enough for three levels you don't need 60 players on Varsity they're not all seniors.

Reactions: coachlittle
My nephew coaches over at Heritage High School and he says because participation is declining most all programs will eventually combine freshman and JV teams like the old days and call it frosh-soph. Freshmen and sophomores only with all juniors and seniors and a few select sophomores on varsity

On the National board, the word is that Long Beach Unified has changed enrollment policies and it's been having a negative effect.

“The last three years our number has consistently gone down, and we’ve had enrollment issues,” Poly coach Antonio Pierce told the newspaper. “Six years ago when my son enrolled, they had 130 freshmen in that class, and we haven’t had close to that number since.”

This development isn't going to go over well among Poly alumni. And Poly coaches haven't been happy with new enrollment procedures in the Long Beach Unified School District

Its hard for me to really feel any sympathy for LB Poly. I get that they compete at a high level so they need more players to survive their schedule, but it makes me laugh to read a HC complaining about having "only" 60 players on varsity. One of my best friends is a HC at a high school; I don't believe he has ever had 60 players in his entire program.

First world problems I guess.

Its hard for me to really feel any sympathy for LB Poly. I get that they compete at a high level so they need more players to survive their schedule, but it makes me laugh to read a HC complaining about having "only" 60 players on varsity. One of my best friends is a HC at a high school; I don't believe he has ever had 60 players in his entire program.

First world problems I guess.

Good point SpeedCity, they definitely have Cadillac problems over at LBP

On the National board, the word is that Long Beach Unified has changed enrollment policies and it's been having a negative effect.

I said this on the national board and I'll say it here... this reflects more on the coaches than anything else. With over 4000 students, and I don't care where they're from, they have no business having shortage of players. It comes down to the fact that the staff doesn't inspire the kids to play for them.

I saw their playoff game last year against Chaminade. The coaching was terrible. In one instance, Poly had the ball on the far right hashmark and a CHS linebacker showed his blitz too early. The Poly O all looked at the sideline for guidance while the coaches sent in a series of hand signals. When they were finally ready, the call was for a quick hitch... to the WR on the far LEFT of the field. This resulted in a very easy interception as it took the ball forever to get there. Even with the extra time, that's the best they could do.

I still think it's crazy that they ran off Raul Lara for having a "boring offense", but his teams were always in the mix. These teams are routinely getting blown out.

Varsity football could become the easiest sport to letter in very soon. Move over X country.

Slick..... ha ha. you get m drift though. But in all honesty Poly's issues run way deeper. Isn't this the largest school in the state?

Reactions: slick58
I said this on the national board and I'll say it here... this reflects more on the coaches than anything else. With over 4000 students, and I don't care where they're from, they have no business having shortage of players. It comes down to the fact that the staff doesn't inspire the kids to play for them.

I saw their playoff game last year against Chaminade. The coaching was terrible. In one instance, Poly had the ball on the far right hashmark and a CHS linebacker showed his blitz too early. The Poly O all looked at the sideline for guidance while the coaches sent in a series of hand signals. When they were finally ready, the call was for a quick hitch... to the WR on the far LEFT of the field. This resulted in a very easy interception as it took the ball forever to get there. Even with the extra time, that's the best they could do.

I still think it's crazy that they ran off Raul Lara for having a "boring offense", but his teams were always in the mix. These teams are routinely getting blown out.
I could never figure out why they got rid of Coach Lara either. His teams seemed well coached -- played great defense and were always among the top teams in the southern section and often ranked nationally. He seemed to be very well respected by his players and the community. He definitely was committed to his players and the community. Seemed like an outstanding person and coach. Poly definitely had a player draw area advantage but not more that the Trinity League schools.

ridiculous-- another NFL coach not understanding high school football. He has 100 kids but cant figure out how to keep 3 levels ???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT