ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions? We are about 30 hours away.....

myko98

Superstar
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2005
D5 - Argonaut vs. Colfax
D4 - Stuart Hall vs. St. Mary's (Rematch of NCS Quarterfinals)
D3 - Central Catholic vs. Pleasant Valley
D2 - Alameda vs. Saint Mary's (Stockton)
D1 - Palo Alto vs. Las Lomas
Open - Sheldon vs. Bishop O'Dowd

Who is going to win?

I have managed to actually see eight of these teams play in person this year, five of them more than once... So let's see where that gets me...

D5: These are two of the teams I haven't been able to see live... and I really have no clue except that Argonaut won their head-to-head matchup fairly handily, 74-57. Just watched that game on NFHS now... Foul-plagued contest... Argonaut led all the way after a close first quarter, but didn't really put Colfax away til late in the 3rd. That game was held at UOP, but this one appears it will be played at Argonaut's gym, slightly smaller than St. Joe's gym. Advantage Argonaut there, and Colfax will need to be much better with the 3-ball than they have been (announcer on NFHS said something like 60-221 for the year). Still, I think this one should be closer than the last... I'll say Argonaut 68-60.

D4: I've seen both these teams in person, but just can't get a handle on just how good they are... St. Mary's beat Stuart Hall 62-50 at Kezar last month, a game I didn't see. Saw Stuart Hall beat a strong Sacramento team in January, saw St. Mary's lose to De Anza at the Acalanes tourney late late in December. Stuart Hall has higher rankings, but a lower seed (probably due to head-to-head, I guess). I got no clue, really... I'll just guess St. Mary's gets the home win 58-53.

D3: Two more I haven't seen live... I did watch CC's SJS section win over a scrappy Beyer team... If they shoot the 3-ball the way they did in the first quarter of that game, watch out... But I have an idea that Pleasant Valley is the better team overall, and will guess a 59-55 PV win.

D2: Saw Alameda twice in person, a wild overtime loss to De La Salle and a comfy win over St. Joe's. Just saw St. Mary's-Stockton end my Campo Cougars' season a couple days ago. Also took a look just now at the Alameda v. O'Dowd game... And I still have no clue who to pick here. Ranked at #43 and #44 in the state, they can't be any closer.... Looks like they're playing this one in St. Mary's own gym, so I'll give 'em the home-court nod, 65-63.

D1: Paly is consistent and extremely well-coached, with their only "bad loss" being to the then-streaking Mitty (and maybe Menlo, but they got payback the other day). Besides, neither of those losses is *really* all that bad... Las Lomas is faster than fast, and if they can figure out the big-gym shooting thing they'll be tough for anyone to handle. I saw Paly in-person just once, their December win over a strong Los Altos team, and LL at least half a dozen times... Terrific matchup, contrast in styles, all that stuff... Really a tossup game, but I'll go with Paly 68-65.

Open: Yet another great matchup! Saw both of these juggernauts play several times... And I'm still only able to guess. Umm... I'll go with the Dragons due to their being undefeated vs. NorCal teams... Let's go 60-57.

Reactions: drmarkppd
I think they will all be good games. (no double figure wins)
Open- Odowd 58-56
D1 - Palo Alto 65- LL 60
D2 - Alameda 67- St Marys 62
D3 - PV 70 and CC 63
D4 St Mary's 55 and SH 50
D5 Colfax 62 Argonaut 55

Reactions: drmarkppd
My picks -
D5 - Argonaut vs. Colfax
D4 - Stuart Hall vs. St. Mary's (Rematch of NCS Quarterfinals)
D3 - Central Catholic vs. Pleasant Valley
D2 - Alameda vs. Saint Mary's (Stockton)
D1 - Palo Alto vs. Las Lomas
Open - Sheldon vs. Bishop O'Dowd

Well, what happened to all the board experts in the Open? At least you had the score close. It was a great game.

I’m an O’Dowd supporter, but if you check my history you’ll see I have a ton of respect for Sheldon. I love the character of the program and especially how they and their supporters deal with the shade that is thrown on their program and kids. I hate the Dragons had to lose, but I can take losing to them. Good luck in the title game and bring it home for the North!

The key about Sheldon was no one ever talked about this player or that players. When it came to BOD all we heard was “the 2 great guards”. Well High School basketball is still a team sport and the best team is moving onto State. Congratulations Sheldon win one for the North.

Sheldon is gonna get killed in the finals against Sierra Canyon. It wont' be close...

Superle- On paper yes... But look at all the things Sheldon has going for it. Home game. G1 Center will be filled with 10k+ Sheldon fans. There will be about 100 SC fans. Sheldon comes in with nobody expecting them to win. Nobody.. (except them). Look at UVA... Anything is possible and Sheldon can flat out play.

Cmon Superle you know basketball better then that. Just because they got 2 nba player sons dont mean they go blow us out. Cassius got hurt last night and didnt return so lets ee what happens. Sheldon got some dogs this year and they have no quit. This is why you play the game i guess.

Reactions: frencheezy
Honestly if you look at matchups Chino Hills and Crossroads both look to be heavy favorites over LL and Alameda respectively. But I've been following these games or the last 25+ years and strange things happen. Its only 32 min game. Its not a series.

I had O'dowd also but major props to Sheldon. Coach Rollins doesn't get mentioned as much as others for being 1 of the top coaches in NorCal but his track record is undeniable. His boys always compete and back down from nobody. Currie is a bulldog that should be getting some solid D2 if not low D1 looks. The Johnson kid took over for a stretch during the 2nd half & I love the potential with the Soph PG, he has a chance to be special. Cant forget the lil PG making plays. I thought #10 for Odowd would be a difference maker ( i was way off on that matchup) for O'dowd, that late inbounds blunder could not have come at a worse time. Golden 1 will be rocking for the Huskies Vs SC. Let's go Norcal

Reactions: nostancenochance
From what I have heard and read, one of the kids from Etiwanda took a cheap shot at Sierra Canyon's Cassius Stanley and his injury might prevent him from playing in the Championship game. Even without him it'll be a good game, but remember O'Dowd had two college offer kids on their team and a future third and still Sheldon was able to beat them.

I wouldn't count Sheldon out, and like others have said there will be a huge home contingent for Sheldon at that game.

Its not like Sheldon doesn't have talent. They have a lot of kids who will end up playing college basketball. So what if its JC, D2-D3, and small d1. They can flat out play. There 2nd 5 would be a top 20 type team in Norcal.

I've seen stanly play a few times in person. Tremendous talent but I think he's soft. A physical kid from Sheldon can take him out of his game. The kid going to Ohio St for them is in a different league. He's the best player on that team. SC will come to town with a lot of swagger and most likely underestimate Sheldon. This will all work in Sheldon favor.

Sheldon definitely has a chance to bring home Sacramento’s 1st Open state championship banner. Every message board had our Oak Ridge team losing by 30+ points to Mater Dei in 2005. I read one post that was titled how many points does Mater Dei win by 30, 40, or 50?? Most people said we would lose by 40 or 50. Oak Ridge team was built around defense first as is this Sheldon team. They have plenty of solid players and they are a relatively deep team. Pretty much everyone on their team takes pride in defense and they have two elite level defenders in Kaito and Ronald. They share the basketball better than most of their previous teams which makes them a better team. I really like watching this Sheldon team play. I would love to see them bring home an Open State Championship and continue to bring respect to the most under recruited area on the west coast in Sacramento. It’s ok to root against each other when its local, but every Sac area person on this board should be supporting Sheldon. They have had a great year! One more win and it will be historical!

Coach J

SoCal is looking like the favorite in both D1 and Open but if there weren't any favorites then we couldn't have any upsets.

Hopefully we get a fun game, and more importantly hopefully we get some norcal upsets. My two favorite teams have both been eliminated but I'm rooting for norcal regardless.

Pettyness and hatred of Coach Joey. There is alot of bitterness towards them because of how dominant they have been the past 9 years. Joey might finally win coach of the year this year. What he has done at a public school is remarkable and he gets no credit.

I doubt people from Norcal will be rooting for Socal unless they grew up down their and or have family in that area. That makes no sense to me. Plus everybody pulls for the underdog in david vs goliath type games.

I was at that MD game. You had 2 things going for you. Ryan Anderson and you were coaching against Gary Mcknight! But this will show you how much I know... The real hero on that team was Ryan Moya.

Now Larry when have you ever rooted for Sheldon to win? I know my boy Heat cant wait to copy and paste your epic anti Sheldon rants. You are still my guy though.

Sheldon definitely has a chance to bring home Sacramento’s 1st Open state championship banner. Every message board had our Oak Ridge team losing by 30+ points to Mater Dei in 2005. I read one post that was titled how many points does Mater Dei win by 30, 40, or 50?? Most people said we would lose by 40 or 50. Oak Ridge team was built around defense first as is this Sheldon team. They have plenty of solid players and they are a relatively deep team. Pretty much everyone on their team takes pride in defense and they have two elite level defenders in Kaito and Ronald. They share the basketball better than most of their previous teams which makes them a better team. I really like watching this Sheldon team play. I would love to see them bring home an Open State Championship and continue to bring respect to the most under recruited area on the west coast in Sacramento. It’s ok to root against each other when its local, but every Sac area person on this board should be supporting Sheldon. They have had a great year! One more win and it will be historical!

Coach J

Coach, I almost always agree with your takes on basketball, but I think I am going to respectfully disagree. Sierra Canyon has too much horsepower for Sheldon, however, I do respect Sheldon and the year they have had. I agree about their defense too, I just think they are going to have a difficult time scoring against Sierra Canyon. I will certainly be rooting for Sheldon to win!

Let's be honest @larry legend33 And @von60118. Bishop ODowd chocked. They missed 10 FTs....they shouldve won the game..

WHEN you get to the state title game. D1 Fire power matters. NORCAL is already at an disadvantage because so cal has so many more players. So unless Sheldon has a Frank Allocco or a Jonas Honick coaching. That caliber of a coach, which i doubt they do, to make the game ugly or different. I dont see it.

It's gonna be a replay of the Sheldon /Mater Dei title game a few years back. And that Sheldon team had D1 players and they got smacked. Yes anything can happen. Yes it can. But would you bet your car note or house mortgage on them winning. I doubt it.

I doubt people from Norcal will be rooting for Socal unless they grew up down their and or have family in that area. That makes no sense to me. Plus everybody pulls for the underdog in david vs goliath type games.

I was at that MD game. You had 2 things going for you. Ryan Anderson and you were coaching against Gary Mcknight! But this will show you how much I know... The real hero on that team was Ryan Moya.

@Larry,
First, you are a known Sheldon Hater!
Second, I was also at that Oak Ridge/MD game and the 2 things they had going for them was 1) Team Defense and 2) Ryan Moya. Ryan Anderson was not the focul point on that team. He grew 3 inches the next year and became a dominant force averaging 30ppg. They were the #1 team in the section his senior year however they didn’t get far in playoffs losing in the 2nd round of sections because they didn’t have the 2 things from the previous year. No elite level team defense because their coach responsible for that defense was gone and Ryan Moya was playing football at UCLA.

Coach J

Oakridge had a pro on thst team. Ryan Anderson. A D1 football player and D2 big/wing shooter. Anytime you have a pro on your team in high school. You have a chance.

Lets call Trevor and make the bet then. Sheldon missed 11 fts and about 6 layups so they should blown them out too. We had 5 players foul out against Mater dei that year. Like i said how bout Sacramento.

Let's be honest @larry legend33 And @von60118. Bishop ODowd chocked. They missed 10 FTs....they shouldve won the game..

WHEN you get to the state title game. D1 Fire power matters. NORCAL is already at an disadvantage because so cal has so many more players. So unless Sheldon has a Frank Allocco or a Jonas Honick coaching. That caliber of a coach, which i doubt they do, to make the game ugly or different. I dont see it.

It's gonna be a replay of the Sheldon /Mater Dei title game a few years back. And that Sheldon team had D1 players and they got smacked. Yes anything can happen. Yes it can. But would you bet your car note or house mortgage on them winning. I doubt it.

You know who doesn't have a chance of winning the state title.....O'DOWD

Oak Ridge had a guard on that team who was 6'4 and played at Univ of Hawaii as well. Can't recall name but believe was a mormon kid who went on mission first. And they had a pro who was bombing 3's from 25 feet. (Anderson) Add in a 6"4 TE who played at UCLA Football and a few role players that in today's game would be stars and they had a squad! They also played against Coach Gary Mcknight! The worse coach in terms of game prep and X and O's. Sorry anybody can win with 3-5 D1 players year in and out. MD is a perfect example of this.

Sheldon will play hard and tough. The thing I like about this years team and what the didn't have in that MD game was shooters. They have a bunch of kids that can shoot the 3 now. That team from before was a bunch of slashers and MD played a zone and just collapsed.

Why would I root for Sierra Canyon or anybody else on this forum? I'm not a fan of what they represent. Guys like Cassius Stanley who bounce from school to school. Plus he's softer than the other side of the pillow.

Only ones I got right up there were D5 and D3. In D2, I somehow didn't even have the right gym. Hmmm... Anyway, Go NorCal!

Before all y’all predict 20 point+ blowouts look at some of your predictions last year, Kiddman32 got it the closest:

D1
Logas Vs Roosevelt

Roosevelt by 15
Nobody expected much from Logan in terms of getting this far. They have been a pleasant surprise. However, Roosevelt comes in with a pretty impressive resume. They lost close games to loaded schools like Chino, Westchester, and Damien. Very impressive schedule. This game could be out of reach for Logan

Bishop Montgomery by 22

Roosevelt by 25

Roosevelt by 17.

D1: Roosevelt played a brutal schedule and made the Open finals in the Southern Section. Two D1-bound guys and a solid supporting cast makes them just too tough. Logan won't back down, though... I'll take Roosevelt by 7.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT