ADVERTISEMENT

QB for Serra - San Mateo?

bulldogmgc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Everyone is expecting the Serra Padres to turn to Varsity returning QB, junior #10 Luke Bottari, who filled in much last year as a sophomore for Leki Nunn, who got injured in the game midway vs St. Mary's - Stockton.

Yet, GoldenStatePreps is reporting that Serra may turn to the junior (class of 2019), Michael Churich, who is 6'5" and the son of Serra alum and former Cal QB, Ken Churich ... "... Serra is expected to usher in a new era at quarterback as 2019 signal-caller Michael Churich (the son of former Cal quarterback Ken Churich) is penciled in to take control of the offense."

Hmm? St. Mary's - Stockton not the only school with a QB dilemma?

(edited: correction ... Churich is an incoming junior, not sophomore)

Last edited:
The young man was on the Serra JV roster in 2016. Would be a surprise if he did somehow assume the varsity job over Bottari at this point. And there is the status of Damelio, a senior QB. It's unclear if he will play football in 2017.

Looks like we will find out for sure who the QB's are for Serra and St. Mary's, when they play on Saturday, August 26th @ 7pm. Gonna be a good one!

HMB played Serra twice this summer, they split 1 win & 1 loss. Both were close games they had Churich and Bottari both throwing, both got equal reps weather they were up or down on the score cards. Personally I thought Churich threw a better ball and has the height to see over the taller lineman, but as stated in earlier post Bottari has better feet and probably a better duel threat guy. We'll see.......

To date its Bottari, then Damelio if he decides to play then Churich. Damelio as a soph threw 2 TD's vs DLS as a soph and only QB in 2015 to do so vs DLS & that is saying something. Bottari played very well when both Nunn out & Damelio injured in 2016 [ie: Bottari could have started at almost any school in CCS, that's how good he performed]. So IMO to jump to Churich w/o any varsity experience over 2 good ones who do is a reach. Serra did this once before a few years ago with very mixed results. How anyone at the HS level could determine that height alone at 6'5 guarantees success is a mystery [at least to me]. Follow the WCAL thread and you'll have a better idea as the season progresses.

Reactions: Where Are They Now
I didn't read where anybody said the position should be his due to his height alone? If you got that my previous post you may taken it out of context. That's definitely not what I was saying......his height is definitely not a negative aspect of his game though....

We'll see how michael churich does during the season for all we know he could be better than bottari but we'll have to wait and see

[QUOTE="GOTF, post: 168161, member: 1200"]I didn't read where anybody said the position should be his due to his height alone? If you got that my previous post you may taken it out of context. That's definitely not what I was saying......his height is definitely not a negative aspect of his game though....[/QUOTE]

No didn't read into your post that deep GOTF. It does though go without saying that everyone gets excited about a 6'3 - 6'5
HS QB.It does seem rare though that you get many in that size frame that are developed physically enough to be good at that stage.

I would be more interested in how the HMB QB looked against Serra as I'm expecting him to have a big year.

Did anyone get a chance to attend the Palo Alto HS 7-on-7 held on June 17th? Curious as to who was at the helm for both St. Mary's and Serra and how well they did vs each other. Per the Mercury News, from a PAHS perspective ...

The host Vikings didn’t get any favors from their coach, who in the morning’s round-robin portion scheduled St. Mary’s, Serra and O’Dowd for his players.

“Our coach has really big expectations for us this season and he wanted just for us to see the type of teams that are out there,” Jackson said. “Today we got to see a lot of different skill players and just learn a lot. See where we need to improve and see how good we actually are and can be.”

Paly went winless in the morning, but it wasn’t a total loss.

Tough setbacks against St. Mary’s and Serra — both within a touchdown — were followed with a tie against O’Dowd.

Speaking of high school quarterbacks I just got back from Pismo Beach and I was able to attend a Cal Poly practice session. I was pretty impressed with Kyle Reid from Los Gatos high school. It will take him awhile to learn the triple option but the big kid has promise.

Churich has the size advantage and a strong arm looks like a true QB IMHO

If he can take the job away from Bottari, good for him. But it won't be easy. Bottari is tested and more than prepared to run the show in San Mateo.

Heres some quick clips of all Serra QB's doing work ... serra vs Oak Grove serra vs BOD

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Rmbr26 " I would be more interested in how the HMB QB looked against Serra as I'm expecting him to have a big year." The HMB QB Tomberlin has had a great summer and lead HMB to their most successful passing tournamant season to date. They reached the semi finals at the Paly tournament and again at the CSM tourney. I couldnt find any edited highlights of HMB vs Serra but they split the 2 games theyve played this summer HMB beat Serra in Paly tournament and Serra beat them @ Aragon in a midweek tournament. HMB had success against several WCAL schools this summer in PASSING TOURNAMENTS in know its just passing tournaments but they were able to beat Saint Francis, Serra, Riordan, and Sacred Heart Cathedral. Heres a quick clip of HMB vs Riordan

Those were some good clips GOTF so thanks for sharing! Serra appeared dominant vs Paly & OG and it looked about even with O'Dowd. HMB looks real sharp and am expecting some big things from them this season [along with the entire town of HMB I think, Lol!]. Will try to preview the HMB team upcoming as I don't think enough people realize how good they might be.
HMB will be tested early though as they will have to play a very tough M-A team that will likely be in the top teams in CCS.
FYI for those out there: M-A is rated pre-season #4 and HMB #11 in CCS [Milpitas is #5 and Aragon #10]. For those with short memories Menlo_atherton shut out the Bell's 21-0 in the post season playoffs last season - M-A & HMB is an early blockbuster game not to miss!

Reactions: GOTF
The Aug. 18 tri-scrimmage at Serra should be productive and educational. All three teams _ Serra, M-A and O'Dowd _ played in CIF championship bowl games in 2016, with O'Dowd winning a title. All three programs are projected to be strong again in 2017. These Friday exercises will not be 7-on-7. They will involve actual line play. And there will be some very impressive linemen from all three schools on hand for the festivities. A number of them are Division I prospects. Some have already committed. Passing tournaments are interesting. But they shed little, if any, light on teams with a power running attack and strong special team play.

The Aug. 18 tri-scrimmage at Serra should be productive and educational. All three teams _ Serra, M-A and O'Dowd _ played in CIF championship bowl games in 2016, with O'Dowd winning a title. All three programs are projected to be strong again in 2017. These Friday exercises will not be 7-on-7. They will involve actual line play. And there will be some very impressive linemen from all three schools on hand for the festivities. A number of them are Division I prospects. Some have already committed. Passing tournaments are interesting. But they shed little, if any, light on teams with a power running attack and strong special team play.
Thanks for the info Col. Sounds like a heavyweight scrimmage. I will try to be in attendance for that one. Football season is here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT