ADVERTISEMENT

Rio Linda coaching carousel

EN_FB_Alum

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2016
After releasing HC Caton and hiring Messina from Rocklin last week, HC Messina resigns due to personal reasons. Only to state that he resigned because he couldn't find anyone on or off campus to join his coaching staff. After winning a State title Rio Linda will be on their 5 HC in 3 yrs. Not sure what is going on over there. The small community loves sports and always supports well. The AD's are former Coaches. You would think they wouldn't have a hard time keeping a coach.

Reactions: ThunderRam
It seems like it would be an attractive job. Good admin and community support. A small/medium school.

Reactions: ThunderRam
If I have this right, Caton was an interim coach, not official permanent HC. He is also off campus, IMHO I would think Admin would want an on campus teacher for HC? Messina has a solid pedigree. I would think there is more to this story.....

Reactions: Three Bears
So it was not about Jake. He tried to rally the coaches, but there was frustration because some felt that the interim coach deserved the job. The coaches simply would not coach either in protest of just from burnout? That is on campus as well as off campus guys. Knowing he was stuck in the middle of a mess that predated his arrival he chose to leave.....Bad rap for both the school and the coach. Best of luck to both...

So it was not about Jake. He tried to rally the coaches, but there was frustration because some felt that the interim coach deserved the job. The coaches simply would not coach either in protest of just from burnout? That is on campus as well as off campus guys. Knowing he was stuck in the middle of a mess that predated his arrival he chose to leave.....Bad rap for both the school and the coach. Best of luck to both...
Sounds like a made a great decision.....not worth the effort with those many roadblocks.

There was/is no one blocking progress. There was/is some heavy lifting to be done for sure. Finding coaches and head coaches that want to do the heavy lifting is increasingly more difficult. Administration, from the District level down to the lowly AD, are bending over backwards to do what is possible.

Last edited:
There has been a tremendous hire from a successful local program. This guy is willing to rebuild.
Isn't the hire the former Marysville coach. I wouldn't go as far to say that program is successful or was under him. After all wasn't he there for only a year or two.

Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT