ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan’s first girls team?

bingobob

Superstar
Jul 22, 2001
What can be expected for this first season ? IDoes their future hold promise considering the strength of the WCAL ? it will be a work in progress!

Reactions: GBBall4L
I hadn't seen them on anyone's schedule until recently. First game is tomorrow? I wonder what happened the previous few weeks when everyone started playing. Should be interesting, 9 underclassmen, only a few returners from last year's Mercy team. Only 7 games this year, so we might have to wait until next year to get a better read.

Again, the last Mercy-SF team was a lower division WBAL squad. Shoving the Riordan girls (Mercy redux) into the WCAL right off the bat is a competitive disservice.

Reactions: OnBall8
It's better to get in and start building in my humble opinion. With that Bay City Pipeline they should be good in the coming years. I do believe the Riordan coach is a part of Bay City correct?

Yes, coach is part of Bay City.
Is Bay City even a viable AAU program? I can see how having an AAU pipeline from clubs like JBS, Cal-Stars etc could impact a program (C-Let is gonna go off here in a few years), but will Bay City kids impact a program to compete with SI, SHC, and the likes of Mitty?

Is Bay City even a viable AAU program? I can see how having an AAU pipeline from clubs like JBS, Cal-Stars etc could impact a program (C-Let is gonna go off here in a few years), but will Bay City kids impact a program to compete with SI, SHC, and the likes of Mitty?

I think Bay City gets some pretty good players on their AAU squads but I guess the question is whether or not going to Riordan will work logistically for the kids.

Riordan looks south toward Daly City, Colma, Brisbane, South City, Pacifica etc. for students and, yes, student-athletes. It's a potentially fertile area for families eager to escape some of the issues that plague public schools in those towns. Interestingly, decades ago, a Catholic high school was under consideration for SSF. "Bishop Alemany High School" never happened. But it was a close call.

As Jordan24 mentioned in another similar post, SHC and SI were not immediate powerhouses when they became coed. The coaching staff, club ball relationships, support from administration and phased increased girls enrollment over the coming years are in place. Having a COVID-shortened season also has the Crusaders just playing WCAL mates SHC and SI this season. For its first year, there's only a varsity team that has 6 freshmen, 3 sophs and 3 juniors on the inaugural roster. Give it some time as the overall program goes thru its four years...

Pinewood’s undefeated season capped off with a CCS Open Title win over Mitty with 3 players from Bay City pretty much answers the question if Bay City is a viable AAU program.

Pinewood’s undefeated season capped off with a CCS Open Title win over Mitty with 3 players from Bay City pretty much answers the question if Bay City is a viable AAU progr

That's good to hear about Bay City and Pinewood...didn't know they had 3 players on their squad. I'm sure it won't happen over night but will be interesting to see kids start to move over.

Will ARHS still be in WCAL this upcoming 21/22 season? On the league website it does not show them listed for both volleyball/ Basketball for the league scheduel’s on the girls side. What is up?

Will ARHS still be in WCAL this upcoming 21/22 season? On the league website it does not show them listed for both volleyball/ Basketball for the league scheduel’s on the girls side. What is up?
Yea, thats what started the entire confusion.. I heard they are going independent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT