Superstar
Nov 19, 2016
Recipe for success

1. Boarding School - Huge upside, nice to see them utilize
2. WCAL top league in Northern California
3. Head Coaches brother is the admission’s director
4. $$$ to recruit
5. Principle is the old Saint Ignatius Basketball coach

Everything has aligned for Archbishop Riordan to be the new Power House in NorCal with staying power. Would be great to see them become a national player.

With success this season and the support of administration, you know Coach, principle and brother (director of admissions) have big plans moving forward. No reason this program can’t be a national player in the next five years. Certainly set up for success.

Biggest question, where is the money coming in from? Tuition is 21k a year and boarding school is 60k.

They have 4 kids (basketball players) boarding with full rides at 60k or 240k a year and that’s not including student athlete from China and the other from Spain? With those 2 kids you’re looking at $360k for one year.

Another 5 to 10 regular local kids at 21k a pop per year. I’m sure the archdiocese of San Francisco helps out but no way they cover that nut. Some wealthy alumni or some creative maneuvering. Either way the Riordan luxury tax could soon be giving DLS football a run for the title of most expensive HS product in the Bay Area. Will Riordan become a national player, let’s hope so. Btw great win at Mitty the other night Crusaders. On the flip side SI is going the opposite direction.

Last edited:
What about the other sports that the Riordan students participate in? Just ignore them and not try to improve upon the terrible WCAL and overall records the last 3-5yrs.
DLS is very competitive in all sports, not just football. They spread the resources they have around.
Very small minded in my opinion Crosstown.

Last edited:
What about the other sports that the Riordan students participate in? Just ignore them and not try to improve upon the terrible WCAL and overall records the last 3-5yrs.
DLS is very competitive in all sports, not just football. They spread the resources they have around.
Very small minded in my opinion Crosstown.
Agreed! As the only all-boys Catholic school in the City, they should focus on all athletics, the Boarding program, Academics, and the "Brotherhood" to differentiate themselves. I do see that their resources are addressing at least the major sports: The gym and weight room were renovated a few years ago; and football, soccer and baseball have the new multi-purpose turf field that was desperately needed.

Riordan has always been a basketball school. Dating back to the 1960s. They have had success in football and several NFL guys. At least 10. But its always been a Hoop school since it was founded in the late 1950s. In the 1960s and 1970s St. Ignatius was the school in the AAA then WCAL thanks to the Sacred Heart elementary Connection and Coach Phelps telling kids you are going to St. Ignatius...And they listened.

That changed in the mid 1980s thanks to ERIC Newman going to Riordan. Growing up in the city everyone looked up to E Newman. He was the man. And kids flocked to the school as a result. [T Mullins, Chris Munk, Waymon Strickland, Ray Kelly, Dwayne Fontana].

Riordan owned the WCAL from 1985 to 1990s. Which capped with Riordan losing in the state finals to Mater Dei by 2 points. Riordan should have won that game. They were down by 20 and came all the way back. Only if they pressed just a little bit earlier. Coach Isola should have listened to coach Forsuland earlier I guess.

In the 1990s St Ignatius snapped back thanks to Coach DON Lippi and they had a nice player revival. [Luke whitehead, ali thomas, Joe Skiffer, Duggan] They were the team. Sure others had runs. St. Francis [Senque Carey], SHCP [Lyryan Russell, Justin Love, Al Johnson] and Riordan again with Big Tofi and Mr Kately [they won norcals in 2001 and a state title in 2002] but the WCAL was kinda wide open in league, until Drew Gordon came to town.

That changed the league dynamiC. Eight years of the Gordons from roughly 2005 through 2013 put Mitty on the basketball map and the rise of southbay hoops. Basically league dominance. All the southbay hoopers have had Mitty on there tongues. I want to go to Mitty, etc...

In those years some would challenge. Serra with Decensae White, Chaz Thomas, Dan Mavraides. Riordan with Rob Jones and Macho Camacho and Shcp with the big 3-Hubbard, Brown, Green [won state in 2009].

But Mitty has been the league power the last 15 years. In the top 3 year in and year out. They are still the league power. On maxpreps they are ranked ahead of Riordan. While that may change, Mitty is still the high bar.

So it was a nice win by Riordan. An overdue one. But lets don't get ahead of ourselves. Just like Valley Christian and Serra have been the best in Football, after the fall of St. Francis, Mitty still plays a prominent role in WCAL hoop. Just like in boxing. In order to be called the true champ, you have to beat the champ. And excellence has to be sustained.

Can Riordan do it? I think so. But now its a lot going on in the city. Mercy closing and Riordan possibly absorbing the girls school may change things. There are a lot of uncertainty taking place. Outside forces. Plus you have an entire second season of hoops taking place in the next 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Recipe for success

4. $$$ to recruit

Everything has aligned for Archbishop Riordan to be the new Power House in NorCal with staying power. Would be great to see them become a national player.

With success this season and the support of administration, you know Coach, principle and brother (director of admissions) have big plans moving forward. No reason this program can’t be a national player in the next five years. Certainly set up for success.

Biggest question, where is the money coming in from? Tuition is 21k a year and boarding school is 60k.

They have 4 kids (basketball players) boarding with full rides at 60k or 240k a year and that’s not including student athlete from China and the other from Spain? With those 2 kids you’re looking at $360k for one year.

Another 5 to 10 regular local kids at 21k a pop per year. I’m sure the archdiocese of San Francisco helps out but no way they cover that nut. Some wealthy alumni or some creative maneuvering. Either way the Riordan luxury tax could soon be giving DLS football a run for the title of most expensive HS product in the Bay Area. Will Riordan become a national player, let’s hope so. Btw great win at Mitty the other night Crusaders. On the flip side SI is going the opposite direction.
Great thoughts. But I agree with Lee the bottom line is the WCAL is regarded as the second best league in state is because of the reputation of the league. I was out of the loop for a while, however I believe it’s 5, may be 6 have state title appearances. And the WCAL has some state title banners flying. No doubt the boarding school opens up a new avenue. Maybe Bellarmine will get their boarding program back in action, hahahaha.

Riordan has always been a basketball school. Dating back to the 1960s. They have had success in football and several NFL guys. At least 10. But its always been a Hoop school since it wss was founded in the late 1950s. In the 1970s St. Ignatius was the school in the WCAL thanks to the Sacred Heart elementary Connection and Coach Phelps telling kids you are going to St. Ignatius...

That changed in the mid 1980s thanks to ERIC Newman going to Riordan. Growing up in the city everyone looked up to E Newman. He was the man. And kids flocked to the school as a result. [T Mullins, Chris Munk, Waymon Strickland, Ray Kelly, Dwayne Fontana].

Riordan owned the WCAL from 1985 to 1990s. Which capped with Riordan losing in the state finals to Mater Dei by 2 points. Riordan should have won that game. They were down by 20 and came all the way back. Only if they pressed just a little bit earlier.

In the 1990s St Ignatius snapped back thanks to Coach DON lippi and they had a nice player revival. [Luke whitehead, ali thomas, Joe Skiffer, Duggan] They were the team. Sure others had runs. St. Francis [Senque Carey], SHCP [Lyryan Russell, Justin Love] and Riordan again with Big Tofi and Mr Kately [they won norcals in 2001 and a state title in 2002] but the WCAL was kinda wide open in league, until Drew Gordon came to town.

That changed the league dynamiC. Eight years of the Gordons from roughly 2005 through 2013 put Mitty on the basketball map and the rise of southbay hoops. Basically league dominance. All the southbay hoopers have had Mitty on there tongues. I want to go to Mitty, etc...

In those years some would challenge. Serra with Decensae White, Chaz Thomas, Dan Mavraides. Riordan with Rob Jones and Macho Camacho and Shcp with the big 3 [won state in 2009].

But Mitty has been the league power the last 15 years. In the top 3 year in and year out. They are still the league power. On maxpreps they are ranked ahead of Riordan.

So it was a nice win. But lets don't get ahead of ourselves. Just like Valley Christian and Serra have been the best in Football, after the fall of St. Francis, Mitty still plays a prominent role in WCAL hoop. Just like in boxing. In order to be called the true champ, you have to beat the champ. And excellence has to be sustained.
Well written Superle. One only needs to go down to San Jose off the Alameda and see Athletic excellence and/or competitiveness in all its sports in Bellarmine College Prep. It is a school that's a landmark in San Jose for well over 100 years and an enrollment of 1,600 young men, excellent facilities and seemingly unlimited resources.
With the hiring of Patrick Walsh over on W. 20th Ave, that appeared to be the spark to launch Serra's success not only in football, but a focus on excellence in all of its sports for almost the past 2 decades.
Down in Salinas, Palma is a small all-boys school that fields good and competitive athletic teams. Over in the East Bay, the all-boys DeLaSalle HS athletic program is tops, led by its legendary football program.
What do all these schools have in common? They are all-boys schools. Certainly, Riordan has a great history in Basketball and made its mark in other sports such as Track, Football and even Soccer, but that was decades ago. Wrestling is the other sport that Riordan has made its mark. With support from Riordan's admin, its new and renovated facilities, relatively new coaches and solid year on year enrollment, the future appears bright for the Crusader Athletic Program.

Well written Superle. One only needs to go down to San Jose off the Alameda and see Athletic excellence and/or competitiveness in all its sports in Bellarmine College Prep. It is a school that's a landmark in San Jose for well over 100 years and an enrollment of 1,600 young men, excellent facilities and seemingly unlimited resources.
With the hiring of Patrick Walsh over on W. 20th Ave, that appeared to be the spark to launch Serra's success not only in football, but a focus on excellence in all of its sports for almost the past 2 decades.
Down in Salinas, Palma is a small all-boys school that fields good and competitive athletic teams. Over in the East Bay, the all-boys DeLaSalle HS athletic program is tops, led by its legendary football program.
What do all these schools have in common? They are all-boys schools. Certainly, Riordan has a great history in Basketball and made its mark in other sports such as Track, Football and even Soccer, but that was decades ago. Wrestling is the other sport that Riordan has made its mark. With support from Riordan's admin, its new and renovated facilities, relatively new coaches and solid year on year enrollment, the future appears bright for the Crusader Athletic Program.
Jordan I truly hope they stay all boys. I know their is talk of going co-Ed, that would hurt from a athletic standpoint. Their is only so much room.

Bellermine is the San Jose equivalent of SF's St Ignatius. Very pristine and prestigious. Great academics.

But it has truthfully underachieved in football and hoop over the last 5 to 10 years. With 1500 boys, you would think the Mike Mitchell's, Aidan Burkes, Grigsby's would flock there. Its not even an option. They have been solid. ok. But they should be great in football and hoops.

I am told they are legit in baseball. Same for Valley Christian. They are great in football and baseball. But they haven't been good in hoops since Steve Cotton was coaching. He was a great high school coach, who would scheme and his teams would give other teams problems. Muck the game up and just win.

As a result of these two programs as well as the Gordon legacy. Mitty has a huge advantage in the south bay. St Francis had the east palo alto connection, but that's drying up if you pay attention to real estate news.

Just think if Drew Gordon would have enrolled at VC or Bellermine. Southbay high school hoops would be very different.

Bellermine is the San Jose equivalent of SF's St Ignatius. Very pristine and prestigious. Great academics.

But it has truthfully underachieved in football and hoop over the last 5 to 10 years. With 1500 boys, you would think the Mike Mitchell's, Aidan Burkes, Grigsby's would flock there. Its not even an option. They have been solid. ok. But they should be great in football and hoops.

I am told they are legit in baseball. Same for Valley Christian. They are great in football and baseball. But they haven't been good in hoops since Steve Cotton was coaching. He was a great high school coach, who would scheme and his teams would give other teams problems. Muck the game up and just win.

As a result of these two programs as well as the Gordon legacy. Mitty has a huge advantage in the south bay. St Francis had the east palo alto connection, but that's drying up if you pay attention to real estate news.

Just think if Drew Gordon would have enrolled at VC or Bellermine. Southbay high school hoops would be very different.
In respect to hoops, I would say Bellarmine has been pretty good the past 5 years with Wojick, Stubblefield, Kruse etc. They qualified for the NorCal Open and lost to Sheldon by 1 and lost to Modesto Christian the following year. They did appear in their 4th consecutive CCS Open Title game last season.
It is interesting that they have not won a State Title in Football or Basketball with their storied history.
My point is Bellarmine is absolutely dominant in the other "country club" sports (lol!) where in some, Riordan does not even offer as a sport (I.e. Swimming, Water Polo, Volleyball, etc.).

Reactions: Scott2138
OK. Riordan hasnt won anything yet. Big talk last year (nothing). This year, they have potential. After this year, they have enough to stay competitive, but not a juggernaut. Again, I like this teams depth in a relatively weak period in WCAL. Let's pump the breaks This isnt the Riordan of 80s and early 90's, far from it. Only thing that has stayed consistent has been their concession stand.

The housing aspect is interesting, but I will give them benefit of doubt. Not as apparent as the Katley, Tofi, Lowhorn years where Riordan boosters frequently hoarded AAA talent. That little man with the glasses.

Look, all the City schools have had their moments, SI with the Louisville and Georgetown kid. Their new grammar feeder school should start paying divendends in a few years. SHC with the Brown, Greene, era. Remember the day they first played together in WCAL Jamboree. SHC went from all white local kids to a team, straight out of Philly. I remember, Tim Reardon seeing them come out and mouthing WTF. Hilarious. Then they overreached on a few kids and got in trouble. Have been recovering ever since.

Back to Riordan, while theyre at it, why dont they bring in kids from Central America to supplement their baseball team. They havent won a league game in a couple years.

Last edited:
OK. Riordan hasnt won anything yet. Big talk last year (nothing). This year, they have potential. After this year, they have enough to stay competitive, but not a juggernaut. Again, I like this teams depth in a relatively weak period in WCAL. Let's pump the breaks This isnt the Riordan of 80s and early 90's, far from it. Only thing that has stayed consistent has been their concession stand.

The housing aspect is interesting, but I will give them benefit of doubt. Not as apparent as the Katley, Tofi, Lowhorn years where Riordan boosters frequently hoarded AAA talent. That little man with the glasses.

Look, all the City schools have had their moments, SI with the Louisville and Georgetown kid. Their new grammar feeder school should start paying divendends in a few years. SHC with the Brown, Greene, era. Remember the day they first played together in WCAL Jamboree. SHC went from all white local kids to a team, straight out of Philly. I remember, Tim Reardon seeing them come out and mouthing WTF. Hilarious. Then they overreached on a few kids and got in trouble. Have been recovering ever since.

Back to Riordan, while theyre at it, why dont they bring in kids from Central America to supplement their baseball team. They havent won a league game in a couple years.
heard some east africans looking for a team to run the mile at.

You guys have it all wrong. The next great dynasty is coming. Its going to be Amazon, Apple, Facebook or Google Prep. All the talent will come for the cash and spurn these peasant high schools.

You guys have it all wrong. The next great dynasty is coming. Its going to be Amazon, Apple, Facebook or Google Prep. All the talent will come for the cash and spurn these peasant high schools.
Well, the Crusaders have a guy that's running Apple's Music content. Lol!

Recipe for success

4. $$$ to recruit

Very interesting assessment

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT