ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan Defeats Berkeley for Crusader Classic Title

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
The venerable Crusader Classic opens this Wednesday night for the Varsity and the JV Purple and Gold tourney opens up Tuesday night.
The 59th Crusader Classic fields some good teams this year in defending State D3 Champ - Mission, Berkeley and Half Moon Bay along with the host Crusaders.
First Round Crusader Classic Match ups are:
Wed Nov 29th
6pm - Half Moon Bay vs. Sacred Heart Prep (Atherton)
7:30pm - Archbishop Riordan vs. El Camino
Thurs Nov 30th
6pm - Mission vs. Mills
7:30pm - Righetti (Santa Maria) vs. Berkeley
Semi-finals start at 6pm on Friday night with the Final on Saturday night at 8pm.
http://riordanathletics.org/documents/2017/8/24/Varsity_Basketball_Bracket_2017_Crusader_Classic.pdf

The venerable Crusader Classic opens this Wednesday night for the Varsity and the JV Purple and Gold tourney opens up Tuesday night.
The 59th Crusader Classic fields some good teams this year in defending State D3 Champ - Mission, Berkeley and Half Moon Bay along with the host Crusaders.
First Round Crusader Classic Match ups are:
Wed Nov 29th
6pm - Half Moon Bay vs. Sacred Heart Prep (Atherton)
7:30pm - Archbishop Riordan vs. El Camino
Thurs Nov 30th
6pm - Mission vs. Mills
7:30pm - Righetti (Santa Maria) vs. Berkeley
Semi-finals start at 6pm on Friday night with the Final on Saturday night at 8pm.
http://riordanathletics.org/documents/2017/8/24/Varsity_Basketball_Bracket_2017_Crusader_Classic.pdf
Good luck to all (but secretly hoping for all-city Mission/Riordan match up).

Berkeley beat Dublin in the NorCal Tipoff classic so I think they'll roll through this tournament. That being said, Mission v Berkeley could be a real interesting game in the semis as I assume that Berkeley still plays an uptempo game - i.e., haven't seen them play since DeLuca coached there.....

Mission plays in AAA football championship Saturday at 1 p.m.. I doubt that three of their starters will play in that potential Friday night match-up. Now, if they win the Friday night game and play in the championship game saturday night, I would not be surprised to see them suit up for that game.

Reactions: m4success
I don't think you can play in another sport until your first one is complete.

It is up to the school and the coaches of the sports involved.

About 8 to 10 years ago, there was a kicker for the St. Francis Football team , who also ran Cross Country for St. Francis at the same time. Both sports were Fall Sports.

Those Mission Kids are relentless! Whenever and wherever they can play, they will play. Those current Mission Football Kids play on both sides of the ball, Offense and Defense.

Mission plays in AAA football championship Saturday at 1 p.m.. I doubt that three of their starters will play in that potential Friday night match-up. Now, if they win the Friday night game and play in the championship game saturday night, I would not be surprised to see them suit up for that game.
The 3 Mission Kids would play Friday and then they’d play Saturday morning, if those kids had a choice in the matter. They wouldn’t miss any football/basketball games.

Reactions: CityVibesII
I think Jim Fregosi back in his time at Serra when there was a baseball game and track and field event on same day he used to compete in the long-jump when he wasnt either playing the field or at bat.

Live Stream from the Crusader Forum tonight!

Last edited:
Rich built that program from less than nothing. He was treated horribly. But, on December 5 at 630, Half Moon Bay plays Palo Alto at Burlingame. And guess who is assistant coach at Palo Alto? I WILL be at Burlingame High next week for this one.

Reactions: jordan24
HMB 59 SHP 48
Riordan 93 El Camino 44

Rich built that program from less than nothing. He was treated horribly. But, on December 5 at 630, Half Moon Bay plays Palo Alto at Burlingame. And guess who is assistant coach at Palo Alto? I WILL be at Burlingame High next week for this one.

I caught the fourth quarter of the HBM - SHP game and the Cougars looked pretty decent so the Dr didn't leave the cupboard empty as they definitely have some talent on-hand. I think the Riordan v HMB semi-final could go either way. It'll be a long season for El Camino.....

Hard to gauge the Crusaders based on last night's opponent. Offense seemed to be more uptempo with constant pushing up the court and lots of drives and/or kick outs to open shooters that hit a good percentage in addition to Chun and Clark. Did not appear to be any fall off in productivity as Curtin subbed freely throughout the game. Noticed some players in civvies on the bench...Congrats to Coach Curtin on win #1.

Hard to gauge the Crusaders based on last night's opponent. Offense seemed to be more uptempo with constant pushing up the court and lots of drives and/or kick outs to open shooters that hit a good percentage in addition to Chun and Clark. Did not appear to be any fall off in productivity as Curtin subbed freely throughout the game. Noticed some players in civvies on the bench...Congrats to Coach Curtin on win #1.

Personally, I wouldn't take ANYTHING from last night's game vs El Camino as that team was extremely WEAK. We'll find out what Riordan's made of in the next two games as HMB will give them a good game Friday night then win or lose they'll have a tough opponent on Saturday versus either Berkeley or Mission (I know Berkely and Mission haven't played their first round games yet but either one losing tonight would a MAJOR upset.....)

Personally, I wouldn't take ANYTHING from last night's game vs El Camino as that team was extremely WEAK. We'll find out what Riordan's made of in the next two games as HMB will give them a good game Friday night then win or lose they'll have a tough opponent on Saturday versus either Berkeley or Mission (I know Berkely and Mission haven't played their first round games yet but either one losing tonight would a MAJOR upset.....)

Mills homer here....hoping for a MAJOR upset tonight! ; )

Reactions: jordan24
Berkeley will be a tough/physical opponent for Mission. Will Mission football coach allow four football players play in this game, the evening before the AAA Championship game? Don't be surprised to see Yellow Jackets in final. BTW, Mills had some nice shooters.

Last edited:
Berkeley will be a tough/physical opponent for Mission. Will Mission football coach allow four football players play in this game, the evening before the AAA Championship game? Don't be surprised to see Yellow Jackets in final. BTW, Mills had some nice shooters.

Almost an upset by Mills. Played Mission tough the whole game, within 6 until the last minute when Mills had to foul. Mills was very patient on offense and defense which limited Mission's transition points. Just had an extremely tough time rebounding the ball. Shooter is Aaron Chen, C/O 2019. Finished 6 for 8 (4-5 from 3pt) and finished with a team leading 16 pts.

The Mission JV’s came from a 16 point deficit to pull out a come from behind win and stun host Riordan last night in the semi-final of the Purple and Gold Junior Varsity Bracket. Mission JV’s will face a very talented Serra JV Team on Saturday at 6:30pm. If The Mission Varsity can take care of the Berkeley Yellow Jackets Tonight, both Mission JV & Varsity Teams will headline Saturday Nights two Championship Games. The Mission JV’s have some Studs.

Almost an upset by Mills. Played Mission tough the whole game, within 6 until the last minute when Mills had to foul. Mills was very patient on offense and defense which limited Mission's transition points. Just had an extremely tough time rebounding the ball. Shooter is Aaron Chen, C/O 2019. Finished 6 for 8 (4-5 from 3pt) and finished with a team leading 16 pts.
Mills did play tough, I will give them that. But Mission’s substitution pattern indicated that they were still trying to get adjusted, try guys out, get their legs together. A couple Mission players were nursing some minor leg injuries and even though they played they weren’t at 100%. Coach Zelaya did some subbing that he wouldn’t normally do. This was their first real game, 3 kids preparing for the AAA Football Championship on Sat at 1pm at Kezar against Galileo. Lots is going on over in Mission land.

Berkeley will have to play a near ‘perfect’ game to beat Mission tonight. Tonight will be a great game. This game will begin at 7:30pm and this game will follow the Riordan-HMB Game that begins at 6pm. I’m rooting for a Riordan/Mission Championship Game. That would be great for San Francisco!!!

I did like Mills and their Coach. They have some talent and I can see them making some noise this season. They didn’t give up!

I did like Mills and their Coach. They have some talent and I can see them making some noise this season. They didn’t give up!
Coach Zelaya sat his main big, Anthony McBride, a lot last night. I don't think it was for any particular reason, maybe just giving him light duty last night. McBride is a very nice kid. He's an undersize big, at 6'5 but he's very athletic

Berkeley will have to play a near ‘perfect’ game to beat Mission tonight. Tonight will be a great game. This game will begin at 7:30pm and this game will follow the Riordan-HMB Game that begins at 6pm. I’m rooting for a Riordan/Mission Championship Game. That would be great for San Francisco!!!
Cityvibesll, Mission will not take their foot off the gas in either Football or Basketball. Coach Zelaya is the AD and he use to Coach both Varsity Football and Basketball Teams at the same time. Coach Z makes the final decisions when it comes to Sports at Mission. You gotta love that guy. He's amazing and a great person above everything I just don't know how he does it. He doesn't get the credit that he really deserves, yet his humility is thru the roof!! He had 3 or 4 beat writers talking to him last night and he treated all them with respect, answered all their questions. Great Man. If you have a kid who is or will be a stud and you reside in the city and county of San Francisco, send him to Mission, you will not regret the decision.
Sincerely, from a Mission Alum lol

Last edited:
The Coach of El Camino is Denzel McCoullum, his son is Denzel M, Jr., Who is a senior guard for Rapp's Serra Varsity Team. It was nice seeing Big Denzel Coaching.

Well Berkeley beat Dublin with two starters fouling out so they have the ability to win not playing a perfect game. It will be a good game.

Tonight will be great I agree. Honestly I’m just biased towards Mission as you can already tell lol Don’t shoot me j/k

Both will be hungry tonight.

I'm going to live stream the Mission BERKELEY game on Periscope. Follow
yolybballbroadcast

Riordan's grit, hustle and winning the "50/50" ball situations won them this exciting game in OT. HMB came to play and Crusaders had a tough time against the HMB big guy. Any one know why C Carrigan was not suited?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT