ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan Visits University Tonight

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
Riordan travels across the City to Pacific Heiights and faces University tonight. Both teams come in undefeated. The Red Devils return their core and have several newcomers that are playing well. I understand all 5 starters are 6-4, long, agile, smart and can shoot the 3. Will be interesting as one of Riordan's new assistant coaches was at University last season-Crusader Alum Jordan Davis. This has been a nice series over the years and look forward to tonight's game. Anyone with any thoughts on tonight's matchup? Uni's Coach Bessollo is one the better coaches in the City IMHO.

Always a tough venue to get used to. Compact. Dont get fooled by height as University is 3s dependent. My suggestion to Crusaders is to run Uni to death and attack bucket to draw fouls. A half court game will play into their strength. Get there early, because school still in and seats will fill up quickly. I would be impressed with a Riordan victory.

Reactions: jordan24
University 81 Riordan 66 Final
Devils opened up with a zone to start the 2nd Half. Crusaders take their foot off the gas pedal and start playing "hero" ball rather than moving the ball and staying uptempo. University gains confidence and starts hitting their shots, Crusaders go cold. Ball game. Credit the Red Devils tho. #11 is very good and Coach Randy is as good as they get. They will be a formidable team in their Div (IV?) Lessons learned for the Crusaders and the coaching staff. Nice to see former Crusader Erik Newman and Coach Forslund in the house.

Last edited:
Reactions: CityVibesII
Last night's highlights: University's Sr Guard Spencer Spivy and Riordan's Soph Guard Jelani Clark
Thanks WhoGotNext!

Nice video. For the record, Spencer had 34 pts on 7/12 on 2fg, 3/7 on 3fg and 11/11 on FT. Also 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and 3 floor dives.

Reactions: jordan24
Nice video. For the record, Spencer had 34 pts on 7/12 on 2fg, 3/7 on 3fg and 11/11 on FT. Also 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and 3 floor dives.
Where is Spivey going? Clark a DI recruit? Nice player but unless he grows a few more inches, not sure he will ultimately end up at a DI. Stansberry a little more polished and mature at that age, and he is right where he should be at CCSF working his way through.

Last edited:
Riordan alums, about 2-3 years ago there was a transfer that had to sit out, not sure if he even played but he was often injured. Very tall kid. Did he end up going anywhere on the college level?

Riordan alums, about 2-3 years ago there was a transfer that had to sit out, not sure if he even played but he was often injured. Very tall kid. Did he end up going anywhere on the college level?
Are you referring to Karim N'Diaye? He is currently at Biola University after 2 years at College of Marin

Where is Spivey going? Clark a DI recruit? Nice player but unless he grows a few more inches, not sure he will ultimately end up at a DI. Stansberry a little more polished and mature at that age, and he is right where he should be at CCSF working his way through.
Clark is only a soph - a long 6-2 and usually the fastest player with a ball in his hands. Coach Curtin has him as the pg. Appears he's been working on his outside shot as he hit a number of 3s. Excellent slasher and finisher. Set school FT % mark as a Frosh. High motor and emotional player that needs to be in more control at times. Stan's berry has a D1 body but plays an "old man's" game as he doesn't have much hops but can get to the hoop. A good player tho imo. Spicy was the best player on the floor last night as he was consistent throughout.

Clsr

Clark is definitely D1 talent, already has D1 offers, he is 6'2 already and size doesnt matter but heart does.

He had a great game no doubt and was the best player on the court. You have a real nice team there Coach!

Clsr

Clark is definitely D1 talent, already has D1 offers, he is 6'2 already and size doesnt matter but heart does.
Respectfully, where? College coaches have difficulty convincing their ADs and boosters to write a check for a kid who has played 4 games in a sophomore season, based on "heart". I see AAU coaches telling kids that all the time. Give the kid a break and lets see how he does in a WCAL season. Just being honest.

Last edited:
He just was offered by USF a month ago. The kid played against top comp and proved himself. There are a couple of top Sophmores in the WCAL with offers, he is one of them as well as a freshmen at Mitty.

Spencer committed to Williams College, which is one of the top academic schools in the country a regularly contends for a National Championship at the D3 level.
It SURE IS!. Wow, go Epps! What a great fit that will be. What a beautiful area, too boot.

He just was offered by USF a month ago. The kid played against top comp and proved himself. There are a couple of top Sophmores in the WCAL with offers, he is one of them as well as a freshmen at Mitty.
Offered at USF? USF has not recruited a player from San Francisco out of high school since SHC's LaRyan Russell (the other SF kid from Riordan, via ISA, I believe came in after one year) and that was after a stellar senior year. Saying you are on their radar and a offer (which no one from USF can publicly verify) are two different things. First of all a coach cannot initiate any contact until September 1 of junior year. So slow your horses down. Let the kid prove himself against a WCAL defense. I am sure the kid will be alright.

Last edited:
Offered at USF? USF has not recruited a player from San Francisco out of high school since SHC's LaRyan Russell (the other SF kid from Riordan, via ISA, I believe came in after one year) and that was after a stellar senior year. Saying you are on their radar and a offer (which no one from USF can publicly verify) are two different things. First of all a coach cannot initiate any contact until September 1 of junior year. So slow your horses down. Let the kid prove himself against a WCAL defense. I am sure the kid will be alright.

You are sadly mistaken...

You are sadly mistaken...
Dude I replied to your comment which was off based. So slow your horses. We can talk off this site.
USF has offered Mike Mitchell from Mitty as well.
I believe Clark was freshmen of the year in the WCAL. Prove?

Respectfully, where? College coaches have difficulty convincing their ADs and boosters to write a check for a kid who has played 4 games in a sophomore season, based on "heart". I see AAU coaches telling kids that all the time. Give the kid a break and lets see how he does in a WCAL season. Just being honest.
Cityvibes, this is Clark's 2nd season as a Varsity starter as he played as a Frosh last year earning WCAL and CCS Frosh POY. I do not recall a Riordan basketball player ever starting the entire season in their freshman year. Still lots of room for improvement tho...

Cityvibes, this is Clark's 2nd season as a Varsity starter as he played as a Frosh last year earning WCAL and CCS Frosh POY. I do not recall a Riordan basketball player ever starting the entire season in their freshman year. Still lots of room for improvement tho...
I watched him last year. Yes, a good player and made the most of his opportunity on a depth-deprived Crusader team, last year.

Here's a tweet that was announced from several sources. Offers are not binding as USF not being a power by any means just wants to show some early love once recruiting steps up after this season by the other schools.

Last edited:
I watched him last year. Yes, a good player and made the most of his opportunity on a depth-deprived Crusader team, last year.
I've compared his build and play similar to Crusader alums Denfield Wade and Wayman Strickland. Of course, both those players were on teams that were loaded. Lol!

Dior Lowhorn, right? Talented but Undersized 6-5 PF that had a good bkb iq and high motor.

Here's a tweet that was announced from several sources. Offers are not binding as USF not being a power by any means just wants to show some early love once recruiting steps up after this season by the other schools.
Sorry, that is a logo put out in a tweet by a person who coaches at Riordan. The giveaway, the USF logo in the tweet is a logo that was discarded by U.S.F. 5 years ago. In all honesty, it's not an official acknowledgment from U.S.F. athletic department. Looks more like a marketing tool to attract kids to a AAU program (in principle, I'm not opposed to that).

Look, I am sure the kid is good with an upside. The young man has a good year and a half to see what is the best fit for him (both academically, athletically and for his parents/guardians, financially), and I wish him luck. Looks like he will have options.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT