jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
Per John Murphy's tweet:

sq4q_RRF_normal.jpeg
John Murphy (@PrepCat)
3/29/17, 4:10 PM
Sorry to see Rich Buckner leave @RiordanSports hoops program. Great guy. Riordan wants as many on-campus head coaches as possible, it says.

Reactions: OneDNA
Sorry to hear about this as well as I really liked and respected Coach Buck!

Good question as I believe the basketball coaches at all levels are not full-time staff/teachers. Not convinced anyone currently in-house would be a good choice.
Coach Buck always had the team playing hard despite not having the best talent in most of his years on Phelan Ave. A class act and last connection to the Crusaders' dynasty years. I'm kind of shocked and disappointed of this decision.
Will be interesting how this plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneDNA
This is Harbaugh 2. Don't have a viable in house coach in waiting, so you force out a coach who has been at the school for 19 years hoping to find a teacher who can coach. And, you are going to find the next Mike Krzyzewski, paying the low salaries Riordan offers who can find housing in the city or close by. Good luck! Can you say the new VC of the WCAL. Absolutely ludicrous decision. If I am a school in need of a great coach, I would give Buck a call. If you need his number let me know.

This is Harbaugh 2. Don't have a viable in house coach in waiting, so you force out a coach who has been at the school for 19 years hoping to find a teacher who can coach. And, you are going to find the next Mike Krzyzewski, paying the low salaries Riordan offers who can find housing in the city or close by. Good luck! Can you say the new VC of the WCAL. Absolutely ludicrous decision. If I am a school in need of a great coach, I would give Buck a call. If you need his number let me know.

Nailed it Doctor! The Principle pulling all the strings is Vittorio Anastasio, how the Diocese allows this guy to run Riordan is a mystery. Shame on you Vittorio. The new VC lol, Valley Christian has respectable leadership and traditionally good sports programs. Yes the new VC of WCAL basketball no doubt. As long as Vittorio is leading the way Riordan will continue to struggle. Sorry to see Coach Buckner forced out.

Hmmmm...... Perhaps Clark and Chun can make their way over to Ellis St. Would be a very nice team with Neal, Robinson, Monroe.

Reactions: Scott2138
U

Unless Riordan Frosh Coach Will Watkins (Clark's uncle and Chun's grammar school coach) are part of the package. Not likely. Lol!

If above statements are true how could Riordan not hire Watkins?Does he work on campus? Has he coached outside of Freshman ball? The on campus topic seems to be the reason for Buckner's dismissal? Riordan wouldn't turn around and hire an off campus coach after the press letter on Buckner? Like the Doctor said, Ludicrous.

If above statements are true how could Riordan not hire Watkins?Does he work on campus? Has he coached outside of Freshman ball? The on campus topic seems to be the reason for Buckner's dismissal? Riordan wouldn't turn around and hire an off campus coach after the press letter on Buckner? Like the Doctor said, Ludicrous
If above statements are true how could Riordan not hire Watkins?Does he work on campus? Has he coached outside of Freshman ball? The on campus topic seems to be the reason for Buckner's dismissal? Riordan wouldn't turn around and hire an off campus coach after the press letter on Buckner? Like the Doctor said, Ludicrous.

I am speechless. Loved RB, for what he brought to the table. The last connection to the true glory days on Phelan having been on the 1990 team that went to State and at the school during the dominance of the 80s. The Doctor is right on this one, if no viable choice, why make this move. I'm sure they THINK they have the viable choice, but they thought that in baseball when they got rid of Gallegos (WRONG) and well, Football is again to be determined and now its happened in Basketball. Lord, give me strength...:rolleyes:

Watkins should stick to coaching CYO. Kinda strange, he's still following that Chun kid everywhere he goes.....

Reactions: rabbit5
The good news: Coach RB will land on his feet. If he chooses, he won't be unemployed long. His coaching credentials speak for themselves. Hopefully, he will find a fresh opportunity that will appreciate what he brings to the table.

Reactions: jordan24
Watkins would be an excellent hire. THe kids would love to play for him and not leave.
Great person!

On a side note, lets just fast forward time to when Riordan, Mercy SF merge with SH to form the true SF private catholic school where the student body is comprised of 95% students from the city.

If Riordan is looking for someone full time at the school as well I guess Darrell Barbour would not be considered to replace Buckner?

On a side note, lets just fast forward time to when Riordan, Mercy SF merge with SH to form the true SF private catholic school where the student body is comprised of 95% students from the city.

If Riordan is looking for someone full time at the school as well I guess Darrell Barbour would not be considered to replace Buckner?
Barbour would be interesting, if only cause he truly would need top coach his a$$ off just to get the team competitive. RB did that. Riordan does not have (or choose not to) use the resources on targeted Athletes or the "pipeline" SH had, so he would need to work harder to develop more players. Not saying he didnt do that at SH, I was not privy to the day to day, but he got his D1 players sent to him, whereas Riordan hasn't had one innnnnnn? :rolleyes: Then again maybe he has the connections to get those D1 players to consider Riordan, who in turn will need to be convinced to hand out $ to these players he targets. Just dont think its a good fit. That's why the Doctor would never come back under those circumstances. Plus, he's the King of Camelot down by the surf....

Ubaja is D1 at sac state
Stansberry is a D1 guard- will be after his stint at JC
And with Ubaja they played in back to back Norcal Finals and with Stansberry, believe they won a CCS title his his Jr or Sr year. Point being, the talent is not exactly stampeding through the doors at Phelan.

Barbour would be interesting, if only cause he truly would need top coach his a$$ off just to get the team competitive. RB did that. Riordan does not have (or choose not to) use the resources on targeted Athletes or the "pipeline" SH had, so he would need to work harder to develop more players. Not saying he didnt do that at SH, I was not privy to the day to day, but he got his D1 players sent to him, whereas Riordan hasn't had one innnnnnn? :rolleyes: Then again maybe he has the connections to get those D1 players to consider Riordan, who in turn will need to be convinced to hand out $ to these players he targets. Just dont think its a good fit. That's why the Doctor would never come back under those circumstances. Plus, he's the King of Camelot down by the surf....

"hand out $" = "financial aid" = free ride. I think there would be more free rides if schools just eliminated sports teams that don't field competitive teams and are only available so students can put it on their transcript that they participated in extracurricular activities. Riordan tennis, soccer, baseball, golf, SH tennis, golf should be put on the shelf. If you make those resources available for the sports teams that actually do well, you may see improvement and more success.

Take the approach used across the Bay at DeLa Salle. They rarely have more than Division 1 level player on their teams, but continue to win

"hand out $" = "financial aid" = free ride. I think there would be more free rides if schools just eliminated sports teams that don't field competitive teams and are only available so students can put it on their transcript that they participated in extracurricular activities. Riordan tennis, soccer, baseball, golf, SH tennis, golf should be put on the shelf. If you make those resources available for the sports teams that actually do well, you may see improvement and more success.

The WCAL would never permit that. Riordan's sports offerings are already at the bare minimum WCAL level.

Apparently, you don't examine the DLS football roster on an annual basis.
I was referring to BASKETBALL since this is a BASKETBALL message board. NO FOOTBALL PLAYERS PLAYED ON THE BASKETBALL TEAM THIS YEAR OR LAST YEAR. And quite frankly, rarely ever.

And with Ubaja they played in back to back Norcal Finals and with Stansberry, believe they won a CCS title his his Jr or Sr year. Point being, the talent is not exactly stampeding through the doors at Phelan.

Frankie Ferrari played at Riordan Jr. year USF

AD is good, Principle needs to go. Riordan FB Alum pages are lighting up Administration.
Rightfully so as there was no apparent driving reason except for the direction of having Varsity coaches as full-time on-campus staff/instructors. All of the WCAL schools have full-time staff/teachers as Varsitycoaches. Don't necessarily agree with the dismissal as I don't see any one better as a replacement at this moment.
Incoming President comes from South Bend, IN, and has had stints in Maryland and South Central Los Angeles. Good news an outsider is taking over? Or is it bad news an outsider is taking over?

[QUOTE="togos, post: 162785, member: 6480 New gym might help[/QUOTE]
Final phase of the Crusader Forum restoration fully funded and to commence this summer and includes new floor, seating, skylights/windows, sound system, Kevin Restani and Crusader hoops legacy exhibit along with the banners back up again.

Rightfully so as there was no apparent driving reason except for the direction of having Varsity coaches as full-time on-campus staff/instructors. All of the WCAL schools have full-time staff/teachers as Varsitycoaches. Don't necessarily agree with the dismissal as I don't see any one better as a replacement at this moment.
Incoming President comes from South Bend, IN, and has had stints in Maryland and South Central Los Angeles. Good news an outsider is taking over? Or is it bad news an outsider is taking over?

Your last question is difficult to answer now. We shall see in a year or two. I had this happen at work the past year. My company used to just promote people up to management and higher levels internally. Then out of the blue last year, an outsider was hired. In the span of 3 months, the bulk of the old management was gone and the entire structure of our division was changed. How's it working out now? Those of us who remained have no problems with it. I benefitted from the change. Sometimes new eyes give "old timers" a new opportunity to shine.

For Riordan, maybe an outsider coming in to shake things up will be a good thing.

I do find it's interesting that Riordan has a new principal and so does Mercy. Isn't also interesting that Mercy let go their coach and Riordan also? Sweeping changes going around!

I hope Riordan (and Mercy) are able to maintain their school and athletic excellence.

C'mon now, did you just say that? One there's Title IX considerations. Secondly, there are kids who legitimately play the sports you mentioned. As much as I am a fan of basketball, I wouldn't eliminate other sports just so basketball can do better. I was not good enough to play basketball in high school so I ran cross-country and was a fencer. These sports are hardly prime time BUT they were my outlet and I enjoyed them.

C'mon now, did you just say that? One there's Title IX considerations. Secondly, there are kids who legitimately play the sports you mentioned. As much as I am a fan of basketball, I wouldn't eliminate other sports just so basketball can do better. I was not good enough to play basketball in high school so I ran cross-country and was a fencer. These sports are hardly prime time BUT they were my outlet and I enjoyed them.

I ran track myself. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think cross country and track would be two teams that I wouldn't chop off because I would label it more as participation than competitive. I was guess ultimately if a team were to get axed it would be because of consistently low participation rather just not being competitive.

Interesting that they let an alum and great player go because of wins and losses in high school. When you don't have talent you are not going to win with any coach. I don't care if its Coach Bennett from St.Marys coaching. On campus doesn't guarantee any more wins . It might guarantee better communication with the coach and AD and admin because the coach is on campus. WHen you get rid of a coach you better have SOMEONE in mind to replace him. Great coaches aren't falling off the trees in the city.

WHO are the prospective coaches ?

Unless my tired brain has gone into some sort of frazzled, confused, hyper-doofus state (very possible), Riordan does not have to fret about Title IX. Unless females have been added to the student body without our knowledge.

Unless my tired brain has gone into some sort of frazzled, confused, hyper-doofus state (very possible), Riordan does not have to fret about Title IX. Unless females have been added to the student body without our knowledge.

HA - TRUE. I wrote the statement being "half asleep", I was up to the early AM Sunday and didn't sleep much.

You did make me look up on Title IX applies to single sex schools. The answer: Clear as mud. I'm too tired to try and process what I've read thus far.

HA - TRUE. I wrote the statement being "half asleep", I was up to the early AM Sunday and didn't sleep much.

You did make me look up on Title IX applies to single sex schools. The answer: Clear as mud. I'm too tired to try and process what I've read thus far.

No sweat. No one's perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT