ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento Area Football: Then and Now

FelineBad

Seasoned Veteran
Sep 19, 2016
My father played high school football in the Sacramento area in the 1960's. He was telling me how much most things have changed, and few remain the same. The dominant football teams in the area in those days were Grant, Sacramento, Burbank, El Camino, Bella Vista, Mira Loma, Woodland, Norte Del Rio, Bishop Armstrong, Hiram Johnson, etc. He said Folsom was a power before Cordova opened. Of all those schools Grant is the only one to remain consistent over the years. Sacramento and Folsom have made comebacks , Burbank under Hef, but for the most part changing demographics over the years have contributed to the downfall of the "city" schools. Are there any "oldtimers" out there who remember McClatchy vs. Sacramento on Thanksgiving Day filling Hughes Stadium? Hard to imagine, huh?

A little known fact. And this before they were in their new location off Prairie City!

When was Folsom good? Wasn't rancho built before Folsom and didn't rancho only become good because of the military base. I believe you have it backwards.

Folsom was D2 in 70's and 80's I think they had a couple of championships when there was only two divisions back in the day. Cordova was the powerhouse back then. I think they had 2500 kids for 3 grades back then. I heard it was 800 up Div 1 and below 800 was D2 but that could be wrong.

My dad says it was 1960 or 1961 when Folsom was the #1 ranked team in the Sacramento area. The old Campus. They had a QB, Virgil Carter, who went on to play at BYU and in the NFL. Their running back was a guy named Alan Henderson, who was said to be a beast. Cordova opened in 1963. Dewey Guerra was the coach at Folsom, then jumped to Cordova when it opened. He built Cordova into a powerhouse in the 70's. Isn't ironic that the opening of Cordova resulted in the downfall of Folsom, and now, at least according to rumors, some of Folsom's best players are from Rancho C....

Reactions: RidgeRider
My dad says it was 1960 or 1961 when Folsom was the #1 ranked team in the Sacramento area. The old Campus. They had a QB, Virgil Carter, who went on to play at BYU and in the NFL. Their running back was a guy named Alan Henderson, who was said to be a beast. Cordova opened in 1963. Dewey Guerra was the coach at Folsom, then jumped to Cordova when it opened. He built Cordova into a powerhouse in the 70's. Isn't ironic that the opening of Cordova resulted in the downfall of Folsom, and now, at least according to rumors, some of Folsom's best players are from Rancho C....

Rancho,Sacramento, Elk Grove...but you can't say that here or you'll get trolled...if you see this years Folsom team you'd laugh at the "the city of Folsom just has better athletes" a poster already proved that their best players came from Sheldon high school and my nephew was scouted to Folsom from sac high ...and I have no problem with it I just want TFB to admit it lol I think it's smart why not keep your brand rolling on all cylinders by bringing in athletes that you might not have in your schools radius.

future10, no argument from me!! You never hear that athletes from the Heights transfer out. And speaking of Grant, my dad named some of the 60's great Pacer players (my dad played at Sac.). Anybody remember any of these guys? Lenzie Ford, Curtis Clark, Leon Horne, Milt Jackson, Dennis Stephens, James Sherman, O'Neal Jones, John Henry Lewis, Rudy Caro, Al Frei, Billy Crenshaw, Larry Brown, Jimmy Jordan???

future10, no argument from me!! You never hear that athletes from the Heights transfer out. And speaking of Grant, my dad named some of the 60's great Pacer players (my dad played at Sac.). Anybody remember any of these guys? Lenzie Ford, Curtis Clark, Leon Horne, Milt Jackson, Dennis Stephens, James Sherman, O'Neal Jones, John Henry Lewis, Rudy Caro, Al Frei, Billy Crenshaw, Larry Brown, Jimmy Jordan???

Before my time lol in not certain how good grant was in the 60s I know at 1 point they were pretty good in baseball then once al switched to football they became a football power

My guess is that the Sacramento/Elk Grove/Rancho athletes will start showing up at Capital, especially since Folsom is tightening up its transfer admittance policy. Similar to what is happening at Del Oro. Guess the Rocklin and Woodcreek transfers will have to find somewhere else or stay home. Capital is probably too far for them.

My guess is that the Sacramento/Elk Grove/Rancho athletes will start showing up at Capital, especially since Folsom is tightening up its transfer admittance policy. Similar to what is happening at Del Oro. Guess the Rocklin and Woodcreek transfers will have to find somewhere else or stay home. Capital is probably too far for them.
I think cc will be the top private school in the area it'll be nice to have an elite private school in Sacramento

Reactions: FelineBad

Folsom has actually been open longer than Grant Union, if you can believe that. Opened around 1922. And @mistark is right in that they were a larger school until Cordova opened up. Although by the mid-80's they were a D3 program. They were in the GEL for many, many years but did a stint in the old Pioneer League around '74, '75 with the likes of North Tahoe, Colfax, Lincoln, Truckee and Wheatland.

Their program was pretty stagnant through out the 70's and into the 80's until Tom Doherty took over in '82. Doherty led them to their first ever CIF SJS Playoff game and win in '84. They won back-to-back section titles in '89 and '90 (D3 and D2 respectively) before essentially falling off the map again until this current regime came along.

@FelineBad Not only was Dewey Guerra the 1st HC at Cordova, he also had with him a very young and upcoming Max Miller on that first staff! Miller eventually landed the HC gig at Rio Americano from '74 - '80 before taking over for Ron Lancaster at Cordova in '81.

Another interesting tidbit: Although it has since become a charter school, did you know that Sacramento High is the 2nd oldest High School west of the Mississippi? It opened in 1856. The only active school that's older is Lowell High in SF. Of course the football program didn't pop up until around the 1920's.

You learned something as well given you didn't associate yourself with Folsom til 2008 right around the time Folsom came relevant again..
Your just mad because Folsom is better than Grant and has better athletes who can defend slants lol

Two of Capital's best players live in Rocklin. There is no community safe from CC's recruiting efforts. A solution for getting back and forth from school is easy to work out.

Reactions: coachlittle
Two of Capital's best players live in Rocklin. There is no community safe from CC's recruiting efforts. A solution for getting back and forth from school is easy to work out.
I'm surprised someone else is taking beef for recruiting for once! Still won't be better!

Washington and Marshall is West Sac- River city
Norte Del Rio was inbetween Grant and Natomas HS

Washington and Marshall is West Sac- River city
Norte Del Rio was in between Grant and Natomas HS

Yep. Exactly. Those two schools officially merged in 1978.

I believe Norte closed around the same time as La Sierra, in '82 or '83. Norte played their home games at Grant Union.

They wouldn't accept. The point spread would be 40. Lol
Let me guess Folsom schedules based on the point spread " decline any teams we aren't favored against" lol like really their biggest non conference game was against grant and that was 7 years ago they'll never schedule grant again after what happened the following year...but luckily they'll have no choice to play them in 2018

Reactions: JoeMixon
Let me guess Folsom schedules based on the point spread " decline any teams we aren't favored against" lol like really their biggest non conference game was against grant and that was 7 years ago they'll never schedule grant again after what happened the following year...but luckily they'll have no choice to play them in 2018
Grant is a 4th place team in the SFL

Grant is a 4th place team in the SFL
Sad truth is GRANT made Folsom Folsom beat a hurt grant which ranked top 5 in the nation and since then Folsom has stayed relevant. With two average squads grant beat Folsom 43-16 Folsom is 3-3 vs teams that can match up with them. Reality check 2018!!!

Reactions: Dan12Kings
Sad truth is GRANT made Folsom Folsom beat a hurt grant which ranked top 5 in the nation and since then Folsom has stayed relevant. With two average squads grant beat Folsom 43-16 Folsom is 3-3 vs teams that can match up with them. Reality check 2018!!!
About to be 3 out of 4 years section titles. Reality check for sure baby!

About to be 3 out of 4 years section titles. Reality check for sure baby!

2018 it ends...folsom didn't do too good when they were in a league playing the Elk Grove schools the second they get into the sfl they go on a steak lol now I know why Folsoms scheduled sac high Folsom use to beat them 40 annually guess who won't schedule them ever again. 2018 the bully comes to play 43-16...even with folsoms best team ever put together grant was their best game and that's with a team grant will have any time they have a qb...like I said how many times can Folsom put out a great team? So far once

I'm surprised someone else is taking beef for recruiting for once! Still won't be better!

Yea, thing is, as you know, they can recruit all they want. They don't have the same constraints as the public schools do so using the word 'recruiting' with them, isn't a bad thing.

I think CC can offer some things some schools can't but there a number of public schools in the area that can offer kids an opportunity to have:

- a great transformative football experience (I view this as different than a place to 'show pony' to college recruiters),
- an excellent education,
- a great over school experience
- and a good place to show off your skills to colleges.

CC isn't the best place on all accounts but I'm positive they can sell a family on it being the best place for their kids, if they want that kid. CC is an excellent school and I think it will continue to move up the polls as Taylor implements his system and brings more kids for his system.

My only concern for Taylor is CC seems to be very twitchy with their coaches in all sports. They expect results, now.

Yea, thing is, as you know, they can recruit all they want. They don't have the same constraints as the public schools do so using the word 'recruiting' with them, isn't a bad thing.

I think CC can offer some things some schools can't but there a number of public schools in the area that can offer kids an opportunity to have:

- a great transformative football experience (I view this as different than a place to 'show pony' to college recruiters),
- an excellent education,
- a great over school experience
- and a good place to show off your skills to colleges.

CC isn't the best place on all accounts but I'm positive they can sell a family on it being the best place for their kids, if they want that kid. CC is an excellent school and I think it will continue to move up the polls as Taylor implements his system and brings more kids for his system.

My only concern for Taylor is CC seems to be very twitchy with their coaches in all sports. They expect results, now.
Still not that great. Crappy area. None of the Foothills families will send their kids there. They will draw from Rancho and Sac. Jesuit 2.0

Still not that great. Crappy area. None of the Foothills families will send their kids there. They will draw from Rancho and Sac. Jesuit 2.0

I know two Rocklin families that have kids playing there right now, so if you are a parent whose #1 concern is to get your kids into a D1 school to play football, it may be a better option than some of the schools in the foothills, however, if you are looking for all the other things I mentioned as well, I completely agree with you.

You know as well as I that there are far too many parents out there who have dreams much bigger than their child's ability and will do nearly anything to give them what they perceive is a leg up. Coaches know this.....

I know two Rocklin families that have kids playing there right now, so if you are a parent whose #1 concern is to get your kids into a D1 school to play football, it may be a better option than some of the schools in the foothills, however, if you are looking for all the other things I mentioned as well, I completely agree with you.

You know as well as I that there are far too many parents out there who have dreams much bigger than their child's ability and will do nearly anything to give them what they perceive is a leg up. Coaches know this.....
Agree but that group is small. Not enough to become big time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT