ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento Area Football: Then and Now

ThunderRam, I am impressed with your research, knowledge, and memory.

Same to you, my friend. Although, in my case, everything pre-83/84 is mostly from research I've done over the years. I had an older cousin that played for El Camino's '83 and '84 teams and that was my first introduction to watching the game. I played in the late 80's then coached a bit in the 90's and 00's. So I witnessed a lot during those eras.

My liking for HS football grew to a point where I became really intrigued with researching the history of all these local schools. As @smashmouthrick can attest, I've been doing a lot of it over the past 5 or so years. I've archived game results and other data for well over 100 SJS schools (and a few outside this section) going back to the 70's for many of them. Although I've captured the entire history of a few such as Cordova, Del Oro, De La Salle, Jesuit, Casa Roble, Valley just to name a few. It's an ongoing process with plans to eventually build out a site one day soon.

My original question about the first playoff game in the section should have been "who played the first post-season game in the section?" This game was the section's first foray into post-season/playoff type games......like the grandfather of the playoffs.

I totally get it. Like I said when you first posed the question that it's tricky and subject to interpretation. But the way you've framed it now is spot on.

The head coach at NDR in the 60's was Bill Tarrow. On his staff were Don Robards, Rich Brooks, and Jim Dimino. Robards went on Rio Linda, Dimino on to El Camino after Hal Athon, and Rich Brooks on the Oregon and later the Rams. When Brooks went to Oregon he took Bill Tarrow with him. Legendary Frank Negri was the coach at Foothill, Gary Houser was the coach at Grant, Jerry Sullivan the coach at Highlands. Houser went on to coach at Columbia Basin JC and the head coach at Chico State. Sullivan on to Sac City College. Those schools were all Grant District schools and in the North Metro League at the time. A lot of good coaches together in the same school district and same league. All this info comes from my pops.

I haven't done as much research from the 60's and earlier. But I'm getting there. Definitely appreciate you and your pops info and perspective. As I continue to go back in time for the older schools, I just might be hitting you up when I need clarification on something.

Last edited:
As I understand it, (NU) have had struggles with players coming out to play football and declining enrollment. I think they dropped their JV team this year....not positive but that is what I heard.

From what some of our resident NU posters have said over the past couple years, it runs deeper than that. It's been more of an admin and political thing from what I recall. It's really sad, especially because of all their history. I would love to see them rebound someday.

Better history than I thought, thanks. I think they are only getting better and will be a good addition to the SFL.

I do too. Much better than Woodcreek, who still has yet to produce a winning season in 22 years. Whitney will certainly be in for an awaking in the SFL compared to the leagues they've been in to this point, but they do pull kids from the same area as Rocklin, Del Oro and the Roseville schools and have a solid program in place with lots of support. I think they'll do fine. Certainly better than Woodcreek, Roseville, Oakmont and NU did.

Same to you, my friend. Although, in my case, everything pre-83/84 is mostly from research I've done over the years. I had an older cousin that played for El Camino's '83 and '84 teams and that was my first introduction to watching the game. I played in the late 80's then coached a bit in the 90's and 00's. So I witnessed a lot during those eras.

My liking for HS football grew to a point where I became really intrigued with researching the history of all these local schools. As @smashmouthrick can attest, I've been doing a lot of it over the past 5 or so years. I've archived game results and other data for well over 100 SJS schools (and a few outside this section) going back to the 70's for many of them. Although I've captured the entire history of a few such as Cordova, Del Oro, De La Salle, Jesuit, Casa Roble, Valley just to name a few. It's an ongoing process with plans to eventually build out a site one day soon.

I totally get it. Like I said when you first posed the question that it's tricky and subject to interpretation. But the way you've framed it now is spot on.

I haven't done as much research from the 60's and earlier. But I'm getting there. Definitely appreciate you and your pops info and perspective. As I continue to go back in time for the older schools, I just might be hitting you up when I need clarification on something.
Anytime!

Not true EN - NU dropped JV football because they had 9 players show up for summer workouts in June.

Decisions to drop programs isn't easy and there isn't a good answer. The answer at NU was that instead of moving frosh up to play JV...let the frosh play as a group. It isn't their fault that the sophomore group didn't care about playing.

Reactions: WWHS44
My memories stretch back to the Mid 80s. I remember watching Grant in 84' (I think) with future MLB star Ricky Jordan and Channing Williams. I remember some small but great RBs (Vince Delgado-CBS and Donald Hair-McClatchy). The CAL was loaded in the 80s with Grant and NU always playing each other for 1st place, although Placer High was in the CAL back then had a #1 ranked team for a bit. DC had a stud QB (Kris King) around then who was also the best b-ball player in town too. I never saw the Rogers brothers from Norte play in person, But I followed them in college and the NFL. Have to be high on the list of best athletes EVER out of Sactown. Don was Defensive ROY in NFL and I believe Reggie was a two sport star in college who never could get over the demons from Don's death. I think he had Iike 3 DUis and drug related car accidents before finally dying a few years back.
Sad...

I know Rodgers through my father. He played with him in the optimist game. They had the record for the longest completion for a very long time but that was broken on a screen play lol.

He was QB with Pat Tobin and a slew of I guys I played with??...I spent practice time with that midget team as a jr. midget......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT