ADVERTISEMENT

Serra 34-3 over S.I., VC 16-13 over SF in O/T

Rmbr26

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2004
Just posting as both games were difficult to find even the slightest info on incl on NCP’s (?).
Surprised VC vs SF went to O/T and thought the 3-0 S. I. team who rolled Riordan 42-0 could have been trouble for Serra (obviously not).
On another note Serra previous led SF 42-7 at 1/2 time prior to a running clock winning 49-7. With Serra escaping VC by a single score who thought SF would take VC to O/T?
A delayed & shortened WCAL season has certainly made for some unpredictable game scores.? With a number of underclass players & returning key skill players & linemen Serra appears as a heavy fav for next season (any other team have a combo comparable to Lampkin/Mahasin? WCAL or NorCal otherwise - thoughts?

Just posting as both games were difficult to find even the slightest info on incl on NCP’s (?).
Surprised VC vs SF went to O/T and thought the 3-0 S. I. team who rolled Riordan 42-0 could have been trouble for Serra (obviously not).
On another note Serra previous led SF 42-7 at 1/2 time prior to a running clock winning 49-7. With Serra escaping VC by a single score who thought SF would take VC to O/T?
A delayed & shortened WCAL season has certainly made for some unpredictable game scores.? With a number of underclass players & returning key skill players & linemen Serra appears as a heavy fav for next season (any other team have a combo comparable to Lampkin/Mahasin? WCAL or NorCal otherwise - thoughts?

Serra looks like the class of the WCAL for next season and potentially has a real shot against DLS. That combo of Lampkin and Mahasin is really tough and some of their younger players look like they will be pretty good too.

For the record, Dr. Ramble, the free SI youtube channel is terrific. Saturday's game was shown live on it and the coverage (at least the picture) was excellent. Serra might well be advised to examine a similar arrangement.

Reactions: jordan24
Serra looks like the class of the WCAL for next season and potentially has a real shot against DLS. That combo of Lampkin and Mahasin is really tough and some of their younger players look like they will be pretty good too.
With a number of Serra's top skill players and lineman returning we are getting a glimpse of the Padre team for next season. Lampkin and Mahasin are 2nd year varsity players who started games as sophs and will only be better their 3rd varsity season as seniors.

...and there is more...the current frosh team (sophs in August) is outstanding...and that's without four frosh who played on the spring varsity...and the JV's aren't shabby as well...the program is bursting with talent today...

Reactions: concrete17
It wont be long before Serra takes the Mater Dei step. Getting a transfer from outside the area for football season then that kid transfers back to wherever school they came from. This isnt amateurism, its corruption.

It wont be long before Serra takes the Mater Dei step. Getting a transfer from outside the area for football season then that kid transfers back to wherever school they came from. This isnt amateurism, its corruption.

Where is your information coming from? Do you have facts? Or is this speculation based on something else? Or nothing at all?

Where is your information coming from? Do you have facts? Or is this speculation based on something else? Or nothing at all?
Here you go ---> https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/...-mater-dei-and-it-looks-bad-for-all-involved/

Look, the reality is some schools treat this whole sports thing as big business. Its the USA and capitalism rules, schools do what they do. Its ugly unless of course you like those schools.

Read what I wrote. I didnt say Serra does it. But dont be surprised if they eventually do because its within the CIF rules. For years DLS dominated in the CIF championship game vs their southern counterparts. Whats happened the last handful of times vs MD and SJB? DLS isnt even close. DLS coach Alumbaugh knows whats going on and he wont even go that route.... yet. The south got tired of getting it handed to them so they resorted to this tactic. If the north teams want to reclaim superiority do you think things will be status quo? Probably not.

Last edited:
I will amend what I wrote because far be it only one school goes the MD route. There will be many top perennial schools that excel in sports that will take advantage of this ridiculous semester transfer rule.

So Serra is pristine? Two of your most famous sports alumni (Brady and Bonds) have something in common.

A comparable combo ? I doubt it. That 76 yard bomb Saturday was spectular ! To make it look that easy comes from hard work and talent. The coverage wasn't even that bad. With the combo Lampkin/ Mahasin back, running backs Gi and Mann as well as host of talented receivers, Serra will be a threat to score everytime they touch the ball next year. The OL returns key players as well as two sophmores who played Saturday. One of the Soph's even went both ways for a large part of the game. Williams will be a loss on defense but Walsh has many to choose from to step into that role. I'm sure he already has put something into place. With 4 freshman who played meaningful minutes on varsity (one had a pick in the endzone Saturday) as well as a freshman team that carried about 77 players and was undefeated Serra looks loaded. As much as this hurts. IMHO I would say for the next 3 years if you want to win the WCAL or CCS Open you will have to go through West 20th Ave.

I will amend what I wrote because far be it only one school goes the MD route. There will be many top perennial schools that excel in sports that will take advantage of this ridiculous semester transfer rule.

So Serra is pristine? Two of your most famous sports alumni (Brady and Bonds) have something in common.
Sour grapes

Reactions: Where Are They Now
Here you go ---> https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/...-mater-dei-and-it-looks-bad-for-all-involved/

Look, the reality is some schools treat this whole sports thing as big business. Its the USA and capitalism rules, schools do what they do. Its ugly unless of course you like those schools.

Read what I wrote. I didnt say Serra does it. But dont be surprised if they eventually do because its within the CIF rules. For years DLS dominated in the CIF championship game vs their southern counterparts. Whats happened the last handful of times vs MD and SJB? DLS isnt even close. DLS coach Alumbaugh knows whats going on and he wont even go that route.... yet. The south got tired of getting it handed to them so they resorted to this tactic. If the north teams want to reclaim superiority do you think things will be status quo? Probably not.
You implied that Serra was doing it. The reality is that the best players want to play on the best teams. That's why they commit to Alabama vs Incarnate Word. DLS success was due to better coaching, they took California High School coaching to a new level. Mater Dei and SJB countered that with attracting better talent from a very large geographic pool. DLS will continue to struggle statewide if they stay committed to the Veer. The top QB's and WR's will not be interested until there is an offensive restructuring. Their 3rd year starting QB just finished his career having never eclipsed 60% of his completions. DLS QB's are better future safeties than they are QB's. Folsom under Taylor and Richardson were probably the best combo of coaching and attracting talent in NorCal, that is no longer the case at Folsom. Serra and Cardinal Newman have the best offensive coaching I have seen, the job Pittsburg did in 2019 rivals that but a large portion is due to superior skill position players. The difference is in Serra's ability to attract Linemen. DLS still has brand recognition but if they continue to be stubborn in their offensive gameplan it will eventually be their downfall.

Serra’s commitment to offensive innovation over the past decade has spurred much of their success. Their OC before this one was hired by Bosco and they won a state/national title last year with him. Serra’s current OC continues to create and innovate. It’s a fun offense that is attractive to players.

Serra’s commitment to offensive innovation over the past decade has spurred much of their success. Their OC before this one was hired by Bosco and they won a state/national title last year with him. Serra’s current OC continues to create and innovate. It’s a fun offense that is attractive to players.
Yes. Riordan alum, Darius Bell, has done an excellent job since arriving at Serra. Coach Walsh saw first hand in 2015 Coach Bell’s offensive creativity as he was Riordan’s OC on that historic offensive shootout against the Padres with a loaded Crusader team that prevailed 66-45. Given the talent, the Padres are taking their offense to another level.

This is absolutely correct. Serra offensively is more enjoyable to watch than DLS. The last DLS offensive player to make a significant impact was Jones-Drew. The rest of their top players that have gone D1 are usually in the DB & LB positions. Serra has definitely has a wider range of player positions that have played D1. However head to head, Serra has yet to get one in the win column over DLS. This might change very soon as you can see the blueprint set up by MD and SJB when beating DLS. A top 100 recruit QB that can throw and run, huge offensive and defensive line, between 2-3 highly recruited WRs.

You implied that Serra was doing it. The reality is that the best players want to play on the best teams. That's why they commit to Alabama vs Incarnate Word. DLS success was due to better coaching, they took California High School coaching to a new level. Mater Dei and SJB countered that with attracting better talent from a very large geographic pool. DLS will continue to struggle statewide if they stay committed to the Veer. The top QB's and WR's will not be interested until there is an offensive restructuring. Their 3rd year starting QB just finished his career having never eclipsed 60% of his completions. DLS QB's are better future safeties than they are QB's. Folsom under Taylor and Richardson were probably the best combo of coaching and attracting talent in NorCal, that is no longer the case at Folsom. Serra and Cardinal Newman have the best offensive coaching I have seen, the job Pittsburg did in 2019 rivals that but a large portion is due to superior skill position players. The difference is in Serra's ability to attract Linemen. DLS still has brand recognition but if they continue to be stubborn in their offensive gameplan it will eventually be their downfall.
No. I wrote dont be surprised if they do. I did not write that they are doing it. Thats a big difference. Also the only reason why the MD transfers were an issue was because other coaches noticed it and brought it to light. There is no stopping a kid and his family from joining really good teams/schools. Thats their right. Its more so practicing against top players on their team vs playing in actual games against not as good teams that makes these kids better.

This is absolutely correct. Serra offensively is more enjoyable to watch than DLS. The last DLS offensive player to make a significant impact was Jones-Drew. The rest of their top players that have gone D1 are usually in the DB & LB positions. Serra has definitely has a wider range of player positions that have played D1. However head to head, Serra has yet to get one in the win column over DLS. This might change very soon as you can see the blueprint set up by MD and SJB when beating DLS. A top 100 recruit QB that can throw and run, huge offensive and defensive line, between 2-3 highly recruited WRs.
Austin Hooper has had a solid NFL career.

This fall Saint Francis will be at their high water mark. Most of the starters were juniors. Including QB, RB. The sophomores who will be juniors this fall have only 1 loss in two seasons. The Lancers will have their usual running game that will be supplemented by a decent passing game very much like their state championship team.

Having said that I believe that Serra will be the clear favorite. They have too many athlete’s everywhere. SF and VC will be battling for second. In watching the SF defeat of the Bells this year, the Bells are showing signs of life. They are not going to be an easy win later this year.

May the force be with curse this fall.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT