ADVERTISEMENT

Serra's Joseph Bey

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
A sterling starting DB on the Padres' unbeaten varsity as a frosh this past spring, he reportedly is already fielding Division I offers. Here's a question on a young man blessed with obvious athletic gifts: Might he become Serra's next QB in 2022 and 2023? The Padres are set at the position next month and into the winter. After that, who knows? But Bey appears to be a special talent.

Reactions: concrete17
Does Bey have experience playing QB? I know his brother started quite a few years at Mitty. Alex Atkins seems like a good option.

Does Bey have experience playing QB? I know his brother started quite a few years at Mitty. Alex Atkins seems like a good option.
Joseph Bey played on Varsity all season along with Jabari Mann and two other Frosh players. He is a strong defensive back and will play somewhere on offense too. The Frosh team had a QB that got hurt in their first game that probably will be the QB of the future after Alex Atkins graduates. The Frosh class along with the 4 varsity players and two frosh that played on JV is the best class at Serra in many years.

Does Alex Atkins have offers?

I keep hearing his name come up when Serra QB's are mentioned yet I haven't heard much about him getting college offers.

Is he a decent QB? If not, Serra is in trouble once Lampkin graduates.

While everyone is talking padre’s they could be walking into custards last stand against Saint Francis. I have said this before. This years Lacers will be as good or better than the Lancers state championship team.

They will a heck of a lot of returning starters. Their QB Josh Perry will be back along with their 3 year starting RB Arquette. The have two 6’5” 240 pounders tight ends that also will play LBers. They have some really good DB’s that will likely double as receivers. The lancers will have depth at them receiver position.

I see the Lancers throwing more this season. You can’t count on last years results to tell you anything meaningful about all teams. There were just not enough data points

While everyone is talking padre’s they could be walking into custards last stand against Saint Francis. I have said this before. This years Lacers will be as good or better than the Lancers state championship team.

They will a heck of a lot of returning starters. Their QB Josh Perry will be back along with their 3 year starting RB Arquette. The have two 6’5” 240 pounders tight ends that also will play LBers. They have some really good DB’s that will likely double as receivers. The lancers will have depth at them receiver position.

I see the Lancers throwing more this season. You can’t count on last years results to tell you anything meaningful about all teams. There were just not enough data points
St. Francis is poised for a big year, but Serra seems at a different level in the types of teams they have produced the past few years.

Reactions: THEOC89
I would think with the Spartan ties that Serra’s Patrick Walsh has, Serra and DLS would be scheduling each other annually. Best programs the past decade+ from each side of the Bay.

Reactions: THEOC89
I would think with the Spartan ties that Serra’s Patrick Walsh has, Serra and DLS would be scheduling each other annually. Best programs the past decade+ from each side of the Bay.
Agree... Although, there seems to be some type of unspoken rotation with WCAL sister schools and DLS. St. Francis, Serra, Bellarmine and Mitty are the most recent of memory. Its almost as if at least one WCAL team must be on DLS's schedule per year and the Catholic sister schools must have some system of volunteering or nominating a home & home series.

BTW, Serra is the best program in the WCAL currently but I I think it is misplaced to call them the best WCAL program in the past decade+.

Last edited:
Agree... Although, there seems to be some type of unspoken rotation with WCAL sister schools and DLS. St. Francis, Serra, Bellarmine and Mitty are the most recent of memory. Its almost as if at least one WCAL team must be on DLS's schedule per year and the Catholic sister schools must have some system of volunteering or nominating a home & home series.

BTW, Serra is the best program in the WCAL currently but I I think it is misplaced to call them the best WCAL program in the past decade+.

During the last decade (2011-2020), Serra won or shared a WCAL varsity crown five times, Bellarmine, VC and SF three times each. So it's relatively close but Walsh's Wonders do retain a modest edge in the championship department. Further, the Padres captured just one outright title during that decade. The other four were shared. So it would be tough to state categorically that Serra was clearly the dominant program during that period in question. There was no WCAL championship in 2020 due to the pandemic. The spring 2021 season, an odd, abbreviated version of a 2020 campaign, revealed a very strong 5-0 Serra unit which defeated Valley Christian and St. Francis (in addition to the three City schools). So one could strongly suggest that the Padres would have been a true 2020 champion, giving them six won or shared titles in 10 years. But, again, that would be speculation.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
More WCAL perspective: Since Coach Machado and VC entered the league in 2002 (Coach Walsh had arrived at Serra the year before), the Padres have won or shared a total of eight league titles, VC seven, Bellarmine six and St. Francis four. It would be fair to state that, once Walsh and Machado showed up within one year of each other, the WCAL, until then the comfy province of the Bellarmine-St. Francis Axis of Utter Football Domination, changed dramatically. The Bell-Lancer monopoly was toast.

During the last decade (2011-2020), Serra won or shared a WCAL varsity crown five times, Bellarmine, VC and SF three times each. So it's relatively close but Walsh's Wonders do retain a modest edge in the championship department. Further, the Padres captured just one outright title during that decade. The other four were shared. So it would be tough to state categorically that Serra was clearly the dominant program during that period in question. There was no WCAL championship in 2020 due to the pandemic. The spring 2021 season, an odd, abbreviated version of a 2020 campaign, revealed a very strong 5-0 Serra unit which defeated Valley Christian and St. Francis (in addition to the three City schools). So one could strongly suggest that the Padres would have been a true 2020 champion, giving them six won or shared titles in 10 years. But, again, that would be speculation.
That was my point - Serra earned only 50% of the titles over the decade. Best of the bunch but not to the level to say "the best against the best."

I will go with your quite educated speculation that Serra would have won a 2020 title. But I agree it should not be in the discussion.

Reactions: colhenrylives
The numbers indicate the answer is Serra. But it is not overwhelming. Had a true 2020 season been conducted and if the Padres had won or shared the title, I do believe the Serra argument would be stronger.

So who is the best of the past decade, if not Serra?
Strangely, I think that award goes to Bellarmine. But let me tell it by numbers from 2010 to 2019 and you can agree or disagree

Bellarmine 3 titles, 2 outright with 1 tie.
Serra 5 titles, 1 outright with 4 ties
Valley Christian 4 titles, 1 outright with 3 ties
St. Francis 3 titles, 1 outright with 2 ties
Mitty 1 title, 0 outright with 1 tie.

Bellarmine is the only team in that span to have 2 undisputed titles. Serra, Valley Christian and St. Francis can boast of only 1 undisputed title each.

Now changing the timespan to 2015-2019, Serra and St. Francis are the only undisputed titlists. they also have 3 titles each while Valley Christian has only two and Bellarmine and Mitty have none. Clearly the WCAL team dominance has shifted in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
For moi, the period dating from 2002 is the most relevant in the big picture. The Machado/Walsh combination has altered the WCAL calculus big-time. For those of us who endured the Bellarmine/St. Francis monopoly for decades, the Serra/Valley Christian arrival has been a welcome tonic. Maybe not so much in San Francisco and on the Mitty, SF and Bellarmine properties, but, hey, change had to happen at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: FBAddict
More WCAL perspective: Since Coach Machado and VC entered the league in 2002 (Coach Walsh had arrived at Serra the year before), the Padres have won or shared a total of eight league titles, VC seven, Bellarmine six and St. Francis four. It would be fair to state that, once Walsh and Machado showed up within one year of each other, the WCAL, until then the comfy province of the Bellarmine-St. Francis Axis of Utter Football Domination, changed dramatically. The Bell-Lancer monopoly was toast.

A number a months ago we had Serra taken to the brink by VC. Then Serra beat Saint Francis with a running clock and after that Saint Francis took VC to overtime . My point being is that the circumstances of the pandemic had a big impact.

Last edited:
Agree re the pandemic. Spring 2021 was not a true test. But that long view from 2002 does have resonance.

Strangely, I think that award goes to Bellarmine. But let me tell it by numbers from 2010 to 2019 and you can agree or disagree

Bellarmine 3 titles, 2 outright with 1 tie.
Serra 5 titles, 1 outright with 4 ties
Valley Christian 4 titles, 1 outright with 3 ties
St. Francis 3 titles, 1 outright with 2 ties
Mitty 1 title, 0 outright with 1 tie.

Bellarmine is the only team in that span to have 2 undisputed titles. Serra, Valley Christian and St. Francis can boast of only 1 undisputed title each.

Now changing the timespan to 2015-2019, Serra and St. Francis are the only undisputed titlists. they also have 3 titles each while Valley Christian has only two and Bellarmine and Mitty have none. Clearly the WCAL team dominance has shifted in the last 5 years.
The Bells were excellent in the early ‘10s, but have been awful lately. They haven’t scored against Serra since 2016. Bellarmine wouldn’t be my selection, but to each his own.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Serra and Coach Walsh appear to be in the right place at the right time as the sole WCAL program in San Mateo County (although one could argue that Sacred Heart Prep has made serious inroads when it comes to football of the papal persuasion on the pricey Peninsula). Many public school football programs in the county, especially those from Millbrae north to the SF border, are struggling to attract quality talent, not to mention sheer numbers and stable coaching staffs. The latest indication of this decline can be found in Pacifica, once a PAL stronghold where Terra Nova dominated the northern landscape until the departure of Coach Bill Gray. A report in the Pacifica Tribune has revealed that the town's Pop Warner program has been shut down (at least for now) due to a lack of interested kids. Further, a summer football camp at TN has drawn just nine boys. Finally, enrollment at TN is threatening to slip below 800 students for the first time in memory. As noted previously, Mills could not field a varsity or JV team during the abbreviated spring 2021 season and South San Francisco, which has lost 24 games in a row by an average of 40 points per outing, finished the spring campaign with just 15 varsity players. The outlook in the fog belt is not encouraging. Small wonder WCAL schools, like Serra in particular, are scooping up football players from that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: FBAddict
The Bells were excellent in the early ‘10s, but have been awful lately. They haven’t scored against Serra since 2016. Bellarmine wouldn’t be my selection, but to each his own.
Agree. The dropoff on the College Park campus has been stark and persistent for too long. Perhaps a new coaching staff and new approach can right the San Jose Jesuit ship. We'll see.

Great to hear about your opinions about the king of the WCAL over the past decade.

Now back to Joseph Bey - Serra's do it all freshman.

OK. Since he is indeed "do-it-all," why not give him a strong look at QB? It worked out well for Lynn Swann on West 20th Avenue. Why not Bey?

I think it could work.

Put the ball in the hands of your best player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT