ADVERTISEMENT

SFL predictions

place your predictions here.

I've been on record saying that I feel Folsom will be on a bit of a decline after the departure of Troy Taylor. While I still expect them to be a top SJS program, I don't feel they'll remain as relevant on a State and National scene as they did with Troy in the mix.

Having said that, until some other team breaks through to win the SFL title, it'd be foolish to pick against them.

Without knowing much of what's gone on during the Summer, I'd probably go with this off the top of my head:

Folsom
Oak Ridge
Del Oro
Granite Bay
Rocklin
Woodcreek
Nevada Union

I've been on record saying that I feel Folsom will be on a bit of a decline after the departure of Troy Taylor. While I still expect them to be a top SJS program, I don't feel they'll remain as relevant on a State and National scene as they did with Troy in the mix.

Having said that, until some other team breaks through to win the SFL title, it'd be foolish to pick against them.

Without knowing much of what's gone on during the Summer, I'd probably go with this off the top of my head:

Folsom
Oak Ridge
Del Oro
Granite Bay
Rocklin
Woodcreek
Nevada Union
very interested in Del Oro with the new coach

place your predictions here. anyone have intel on GB this year?

I think GB will have the best defense in the SFL. They are extremely deep on that side of the ball with size and speed in all of the right places. I think they will slow down the spread offenses in the league. They will be able to pressure the passer and their LBs will spot drop to take away the intermediate passing game used in spread offenses. All that said, a team could still move the ball on them by passing if they run well-timed routes and the QB makes accurate passes. They question is whether that works in the red zone where there is less space to cover. I am sure Dallas Sarz is teaching those kids to disguise their coverages...so it may be bend, but no break.

I think they are attempting to transform the offense to involve more passing and less pure fly sweep. More of a jet sweep approach so they can move the QB back in the gun. Traditionally, they have attacked with the pass off of play action only. Their pass of choice involves the TE and they have a very tall player at that position and another coming up from JV who has played that spot since he was 8. They like to hit the TE on a pop pass, corner route, or post. They also like to put the QB in motion and have him throw the flood route or a short drag on the run. These are safe, high percentage pass plays which they will be able to run with their QB from the piror year as he is a good athlete and can hit those types of passes with consistency.

They have quite a few running backs in the program who are very effective. There are too many to be honest. I think they will throw to these guys a little more frequently this year, getting them out of the backfield or fly back spot with motion. Getting these guys in space could be a very effective strategy. Opposing team just need to watch the motion and expect them to flick the ball to these guys in the flats.

And then there is the running game. With that many backs, you can expect them to run the ball very well. The running game will continue to be the strength of their offense. The QB will be effective in the pass game and as a runner (they will do some read option, I think). But that system has not been designed for the QB to come in and be the big weapon. Still, this will be their best QB since the state championship for what they like to do with the QB. The prior years have been pretty wanting.

If you get behind and turn the ball over, you will lose to this team. If you jump all over them, you have a good chance of winning. You just have to come out of the gates fast and score with them, and force their QB to be the weapon when they'd much rather pound the ball.

Grant will be in the SFL when the section re-aligns in 2018. Grant will be in the Delta in 2017.

SFL Defense rankings for 2016 (total yards for SFL league games only):
1. Folsom - 1296
2. Oak Ridge - 1740
3. Del Oro - 2011
4. Granite Bay - 2040
5. Woodcreek - 2316
6. Rocklin - 2791
7. Nevada Union - 2956

The same stats from the offensive side:
1. Del Oro - 2849
2. Folsom - 2543
3. Oak Ridge - 2348
4. Nevada Union - 2020
5. Woodcreek - 1811
6. Rocklin - 1665
7. Granite Bay - 1614

Total yards is a good indicator for the team's performance. Granite Bay was not a good team in 2016, especially on offense. They should be competitive in 2017, but expectations should be tempered given their 2016 performance. GB should be in the running for one of the 4 automatic playoff spots awarded to the SFL. For the 'spread' offenses mentioned above, GB surrendered 530 yds to DO (loss 21-42), 402 to Folsom (loss 0-42), and 330 to Oak Ridge (loss 0-28). So it does not seem that they have any special formula to defend the spread.

I saw GB play a couple of times in 2016, and they were hard to watch. The Jesuit game was one that I remember being surprised and thinking 'this is a really bad team'. Other than the big tackle, they did not seem to have much. And they clearly did not have a QB. So if they have someone that can throw the ball, we will see if they can rebound.

Equal attention should be paid to Rocklin to see if they can put 2016 behind them. They were also really bad on offense and gave up a lot of yards on defense. Rocklin has the distinction of being the only team in the SFL to give up 300+ yards TO to every team in the league AND only getting over 300 yards TO once in league (vs. NU).

So it does not seem that they have any special formula to defend the spread.

Well, I was thinking the JV kids coming up will improve matters. You are right, it twas ugly last year. Not sure if they have retained a bunch of the kids who had transferred in from Oakmont. If not, that could be bad for them.

And they clearly did not have a QB. So if they have someone that can throw the ball, we will see if they can rebound.

This is true. They tried rotating the seniors which was totally ineffective. The junior was better in the later stages of the season and has substantial more mobility. Plus I believe they have Bill Neal back to coach him. And Bill is a good QB coach.

My prediction for 2017 Sierra Foothill Final Standings:
1)Oak Ridge (QB starting third season)
2)Folsom (QB no starts)
3)Granite Bay (despite ThunderRam's coaching update: Defense will be good)
4)Del Oro(to many key players have graduated,New coach learning curve)
5)Rocklin
6)Woodcreek
7)Nevada Union

Pre Season Predictions for me

1. Oak Ridge
2. Granite Bay
3. Folsom
4. Rocklin *
5. Del Oro **
6. Woodcreek
7. Nevada Union

*** Cud switch

I ran into a kid the other day. He was wearing a Folsom shirt so I asked him if he played there? He replied he was the JV QB. I replied QB, that is a tough position at that school via the competition. He replied yup, that's why I am transferring out and back to my home school. He didn't feel he had a chance to play.

I ran into a kid the other day. He was wearing a Folsom shirt so I asked him if he played there? He replied he was the JV QB. I replied QB, that is a tough position at that school via the competition. He replied yup, that's why I am transferring out and back to my home school. He didn't feel he had a chance to play.

Competition is part of the deal. I believe Del Oro has 4 kids competing for the varsity QB position this year alone as I understand things.

Reactions: sierrafoothillking
But they will stack up just fine when they get there.
Ya'll seen their talent right? Need to get with times and spread em out, athletes in space.

Do we know what kind of offense they will run?
Only head guy left, so O and D are probably same, staff will keep it going.

You actually think QB will be an issue at Folsom? History would not be on your side.
Any of ya'll really think Folsom won't take it all? Please.

I can confirm the Folsom QB situation is currently a two man battle. Both are good. The offense will still be explosive with weapons.

Reactions: MFro5866
The drop off at DO will be great minus CT. Yes, he has that much impact. It was he that drove that program to the heights it reached. I have a hard time thinking there will be no fall off at Folsom with the loss of TT running the offense, yes they will keep the system but things will change with time....same with DO..

Reactions: ncscalfootball
The drop off at DO will be great minus CT. Yes, he has that much impact. It was he that drove that program to the heights it reached. I have a hard time thinking there will be no fall off at Folsom with the loss of TT running the offense, yes they will keep the system but things will change with time....same with DO..
This is the second season without TT. They put up some big numbers last year. I don't expect that to change this year, although the league will be much more competitive.

Reactions: ncscalfootball
Troy Taylor been gone for 2 years now and they keep winning, 26-3 without him, his legacy lives on, set them up right before he left, and ya'll think DO only been good with their last coach? Please, they been great forever, they gonna keep winning too, gonna be a tough SFL again for sure.

Please, they been great forever, they gonna keep winning too, gonna be a tough SFL again for sure.
You are right, DO has been good forever. They are kind of like the Steelers of the SFL/Area. They don't win it every year, but they are always in the playoffs and usually make a run at the chip! Great program, highly respected. I personally love watching them play, especially at home.

Troy Taylor been gone for 2 years now and they keep winning, 26-3 without him, his legacy lives on, set them up right before he left, and ya'll think DO only been good with their last coach? Please, they been great forever, they gonna keep winning too, gonna be a tough SFL again for sure.

On February 18, 2016, Taylor was announced as the Passing Game Coordinator, Quarterbacks coach and play caller for Eastern Washington.[9]

I read that as one season away.....not two....
You are right, DO has been good forever. They are kind of like the Steelers of the SFL/Area. They don't win it every year, but they are always in the playoffs and usually make a run at the chip! Great program, highly respected. I personally love watching them play, especially at home.

DO has not been great forever. The program was solid but not nearly on the level it has risen to under Taylor......PUSD now has closed it's open boundaries, the available talent pool will lessen, plus you can't lose a coach like that and still be the same.......name me a local school that has held on after losing a great coach???

Agreed. Folsom is not the place ti go if you are not ready to compete at a high level.

I would think that goes for just about all of programs at the top of the SFL. Go up to Oak Ridge and check out the influx of transfers into that program in the past two years who are creating competition. Safe to say all of the skill positions at OR are now in the hands of mid-high-school transfer-ins - not kids who came up in the program. Competition is fierce.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
I would think that goes for just about all of programs at the top of the SFL. Go up to Oak Ridge and check out the influx of transfers into that program in the past two years who are creating competition. Safe to say all of the skill positions at OR are now in the hands of mid-high-school transfer-ins - not kids who came up in the program. Competition is fierce.
Great point.

Troy Taylor been gone for 2 years now and they keep winning, 26-3 without him,

That is factually incorrect. Taylor was co-HC up until 2015. They've only completed 1 season without him. This upcoming season with be the 2nd season post Taylor.

With Richardson and the system still in place, the fall off will not be as quick or steep. But there will be a fall off and already has been to a point. They lost within section twice last season (that didn't happen once during Taylor's 4 season tenure as co-HC) and no longer have a QB whisperer the same caliber.

We'll see how it plays out, but I think there will be a slight decline with each season. They're no longer relevant Nationally and arguably not even at the State state level either. But they still are a major threat for section.

That is factually incorrect. Taylor was co-HC up until 2015. They've only completed 1 season without him. This upcoming season with be the 2nd season post Taylor.

With Richardson and the system still in place, the fall off will not be as quick or steep. But there will be a fall off and already has been to a point. They lost within section twice last season (that didn't happen once during Taylor's 4 season tenure as co-HC) and no longer have a QB whisperer the same caliber.

We'll see how it plays out, but I think there will be a slight decline with each season. They're no longer relevant Nationally and arguably not even at the State state level either. But they still are a major threat for section.

So, they won every game in section for 4 straight years, won a state championship in the same time....and you think there would be "slight decline." Without any coaching changes at all, wouldn't the odds be so stacked?

Reactions: Renegade4Life
So, they won every game in section for 4 straight years, won a state championship in the same time....and you think there would be "slight decline." Without any coaching changes at all, wouldn't the odds be so stacked?
The bar has been set so high with Folsom. They lose one game or don't win D1 or the section and it is seen as a 0-14 season by NorCal Preps Community standards, according to WWHS42 and Ca football rules. Program is in shambles!

Word has it that the two Folsom QBs are still competing for a starting spot. Because of this both QBs put in more work than either would if they had the job locked up. (Throwing for hours after practice and on weekends etc.)
The two QB's are actually having to divide practice time with the first string. Therefore, they are actually getting LESS practice time than if the QB were already selected. Physically they are slightly different in size. Both with great potential. I do agree that competition for starter will make them both work harder. Either way neither has any previous Varsity experience as opposed to Oak Ridge with a three year starter.

No doubt the kid is a great player but lets be clear on the experience. Are you saying the kid has three years of varsity starting experience? If so, I think you need to do just a little more research.
The Oak Ridge QB (who is starting his 3rd season) has more experience than the yet to be chosen Folsom QB. Take a look at last years game (which Folsom won) to see how close he was to winning the game. No more research needs to be done. Oak Ridge QB has more Varsity game experience than any team in the SFL. That is the point!

The bar has been set so high with Folsom. They lose one game or don't win D1 or the section and it is seen as a 0-14 season by NorCal Preps Community standards, according to WWHS42 and Ca football rules. Program is in shambles!

Same foolish nonsense G61. I never said Folsom was in shambles. You twist things people say to start a bunch of cra....... Time will tell if there is a drop off with out Troy Taylor....Arguably there will be...that is what I said......I also made the same point with Del Oro, who you know nothing about bc you think the world revolves around Briggs Ranch where you live.....Folsom is very good....not good enough to beat De Le Salle and that's tough for you to swallow.

That is factually incorrect. Taylor was co-HC up until 2015.
Ya'll right, 1 year, still Folsom goes 12-2, not really crumbling much

DO has not been great forever.
The program was solid but not nearly on the level it has risen to under Taylor.[/QUOTE] what level is that exactly, they always been good

name me a local school that has held on after losing a great coach???
Whitney holding on after Gimenez

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT