ADVERTISEMENT

SHC names Varsity basketball coach

I love it when people get hired with NO girls coaching experience straight from the men's game. or I could mean that there were no good applicants.

I love it when people get hired with NO girls coaching experience straight from the men's game. or I could mean that there were no good applicants.
There are females coaching boys teams. I'm sure the girls will figure out what a "man-to-man" defense is.

what experience do you need with girls?
There are some different rules to girls basketball not many but slight differences. The philosophy to a girls game is also different from the boys game. Boys a lot of teams are shooting 3s while in girls unless you got a great shooter, it is punch it in from the block or drive it in.

There are some significant differences coaching girls rather than boys at the high school level. Some have to do with how teenage girls react to situations differently than teenage boys, and others have to do with how the game is played on the court.

But that said, coaching is coaching, teaching is teaching, and the adjustments are not that major.

I think it comes down to the attitude and objectives of the coach. When I see a guy moving over from the boys' game, he often brings a lot of disrespect for the girls, sometimes only thinly veiled. He's also often only biding his time until he can make a move back to the boys. When you are used to 50 boys trying out for a frosh team, you expect to start with some very experienced and fundamentally sound players. When your frosh class is 10 girls, 3 of whom have never played basketball before, it comes as something of a shock. Not an easy adjustment.

y'all are making a lot of generalizations about a coach most of you know nothing about. If the guy knows the game and treats the kids with respect then the rest can be figured out as time goes. I see no problem with hiring a "boys" coach as long he was the right candidate.

No one here batted an eye when wade nakamura was recently named the boys coach at monta vista.. same differences just going in the opposite direction.. should we be concerned? Is it different because he is a man? How will he ever be able to adjust to so much testosterone in the gym... smh...

good luck to demetrius. SHC being good is good for bay area basketball and I love watching them compete when they come to my neck of the woods. I'll be rooting for him

I think everyone hopes Demetrius Jackson does well at SHC -- well, except for some WCAL folks. I don't think any of us know him, and I have no reason to think he'll have any issues adjusting. A strong SHC program is good for everyone, in the long run.

Wade Nakamura is coaching the Monta Vista boys, and I think his son may be in the program. Gene will be in the stands, I'm sure, and just a phone call away.

Reactions: Scott2138
Yes thats a lot of generalizing going on here. Fact is whether its boys or girls, this is high school hoops. There is no Im just joining the team to have something on my college application. The kids on both sides are on the teams because they can play (ahem, except for the occasion when the football player, makes the basketball team because of his name/jock status and takes away a spot from a better basketball player than he is)...

Jackson wasnt their prime choice, however you can best believe he will get the most out of his team. There are no more league titles until the monopoly gets broken up. Everyone knows that. Until then best case for SH is always a D3 CCS title and Nor Cals appearance.

Yes thats a lot of generalizing going on here. Fact is whether its boys or girls, this is high school hoops. There is no Im just joining the team to have something on my college application. The kids on both sides are on the teams because they can play (ahem, except for the occasion when the football player, makes the basketball team because of his name/jock status and takes away a spot from a better basketball player than he is)...

Jackson wasn't their prime choice, however you can best believe he will get the most out of his team. There are no more league titles until the monopoly gets broken up. Everyone knows that. Until then best case for SH is always a D3 CCS title and Nor Cals appearance.
Since the Bruce-Mahoney competition is now in play on the girls' side, beating SI will have more meaning as well.

There are some different rules to girls basketball not many but slight differences. The philosophy to a girls game is also different from the boys game. Boys a lot of teams are shooting 3s while in girls unless you got a great shooter, it is punch it in from the block or drive it in.
girls shoot too many 3s now a days as well. not many differences, especially in high school. you gotta limit turnovers, cause turnovers and finish at the rim. everything else is the same. well girls can get emotional but they will run through the wall for you. boys think they know it all and think they are kyrie or harden. parents for both genders are delusional. he will be ok

Reactions: colhenrylives
y'all are making a lot of generalizations about a coach most of you know nothing about. If the guy knows the game and treats the kids with respect then the rest can be figured out as time goes. I see no problem with hiring a "boys" coach as long he was the right candidate.

No one here batted an eye when wade nakamura was recently named the boys coach at monta vista.. same differences just going in the opposite direction.. should we be concerned? Is it different because he is a man? How will he ever be able to adjust to so much testosterone in the gym... smh...

good luck to demetrius. SHC being good is good for bay area basketball and I love watching them compete when they come to my neck of the woods. I'll be rooting for him
where did the other coach go?

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
where did the other coach go?
I have zero insight on what happened over there besides that Wade is the new coach. And I believe Clay is right that his son is on the team, but does not negate the fact that everyone has had nothing negative to say about his switching to the boys side so why is it a negative in this case?

everyone seems to forget that Chris Mcswain was strictly a boys coach before taking over at Valley.. everyone thought he was just biding his time until the boys position opened.. well that spot opened up multiple times since he has been there and he is still on the girls side and has been so for.. gee.. 10 years or so already?

Not saying that demetrius jackson will do the same, but why decide his fate now?

coaching girls and boys are two completely different games imho.
I've coached both on the boys Varsity players and girls Varsity players and there are some minor differences, but nothing that can't be figured out. Team chemistry seemed even more important on the girls side. Also, many of the boys have an overconfidence in their skill set and bad habits, which can make it harder to correct. On the girls side, I felt that there was more time in building them up and instilling confidence. For decent to great high school teams, the girls game can be an absolute physical ground war, while the boys seem to regard rebounding as a battle of the tallest and highest leapers. Both sides were enjoyable to coach, for some different reasons and many of the same reasons.

I have zero insight on what happened over there besides that Wade is the new coach. And I believe Clay is right that his son is on the team, but does not negate the fact that everyone has had nothing negative to say about his switching to the boys side so why is it a negative in this case?
monte vista in danville or the other one. not sure what city it is in.

I've coached both on the boys Varsity players and girls Varsity players and there are some minor differences, but nothing that can't be figured out. Team chemistry seemed even more important on the girls side. Also, many of the boys have an overconfidence in their skill set and bad habits, which can make it harder to correct. On the girls side, I felt that there was more time in building them up and instilling confidence. For decent to great high school teams, the girls game can be an absolute physical ground war, while the boys seem to regard rebounding as a battle of the tallest and highest leapers. Both sides were enjoyable to coach, for some different reasons and many of the same reasons.
i was one of those boys who thought i was better than i really was. lolllll

girls shoot too many 3s now a days as well. not many differences, especially in high school. you gotta limit turnovers, cause turnovers and finish at the rim. everything else is the same. well girls can get emotional but they will run through the wall for you. boys think they know it all and think they are kyrie or harden. parents for both genders are delusional. he will be ok
I am not saying that girls do not shoot 3s and I definitely know they do but the philosophical approach to the game is fundamentally different. Most boys games focus on jump shots snd especially with the advent of “Curryball” as I will call it a lot more 3 pointers are attempted now in boys basketball than when I was watching as a high school kid in the 90s.

It could be said that for many years there was no place to go for girls after high school, then the NCAA blossomed and the eventual creation of the many women’s leagues internationally and finally the WNBA totally changed the approach to high school girls basketball. Now girls have somewhere to aspire to go and a goal to set and achievebwhereas boy always had what the girls never had a chance to move to the next level.

It could be said that for many years there was no place to go for girls after high school, then the NCAA blossomed and the eventual creation of the many women’s leagues internationally and finally the WNBA totally changed the approach to high school girls basketball. Now girls have somewhere to aspire to go and a goal to set and achievebwhereas boy always had what the girls never had a chance to move to the next level.
Stanford has had womens' hoops at least since the 1890's.

Stanford has had womens' hoops at least since the 1890's.

Pretty amazing since basketball was invented in the 1890's and Stanford didn't start competing in mens hoops (NCAA) until 1920's I think. I never knew that first women's college hoops game was between Stanford and Cal, the final score was 2-1 lol 1896. talk about revolutionary...!

I am not saying that girls do not shoot 3s and I definitely know they do but the philosophical approach to the game is fundamentally different. Most boys games focus on jump shots snd especially with the advent of “Curryball” as I will call it a lot more 3 pointers are attempted now in boys basketball than when I was watching as a high school kid in the 90s.
girls shoot more because they are often afraid to go to the basket. every team in the bay area def think they are the warriors. boys and girls. 3 or the key became a thing maybe about 12 years ago. that was before the warrior craze for sure.

Title IX introduced girls' sports at the high school level in 1971. When I graduated from Acalanes in 1966, girls' sports was one day a year. It was called GAA.

Now, a high-level professional female basketball player can make literally millions before age 35, and most D-1 players can play overseas at some level if they want to. (In fact, almost any female American college basketball player can play overseas, but she might spend a lot of her time coaching young kids as well as playing in the local leagues.)

Which ties in neatly to the discussion of three-pointers. The ability to shoot threes is crucial to any post-collegiate basketball career. Americans are brought overseas to score -- they can always find a local to defend and take charges.

Title IX introduced girls' sports at the high school level in 1971. When I graduated from Acalanes in 1966, girls' sports was one day a year. It was called GAA.

Now, a high-level professional female basketball player can make literally millions before age 35, and most D-1 players can play overseas at some level if they want to. (In fact, almost any female American college basketball player can play overseas, but she might spend a lot of her time coaching young kids as well as playing in the local leagues.)

Which ties in neatly to the discussion of three-pointers. The ability to shoot threes is crucial to any post-collegiate basketball career. Americans are brought overseas to score -- they can always find a local to defend and take charges.
And you probably also played a very different game than is played today

Title IX was signed into law by President Nixon in June 1972. Most schools paid little attention to it athletically until the late 1970s.

Last edited:
Weird ... I could have sworn I saw stuff this year about the 50th anniversary of Title IX.

I worked in Danville in the early '70s and there were girls' basketball teams almost immediately after Title IX. Soccer and softball were added quickly, but you're right -- the full expansion of girls' sports to mirror all the boys' offering took a while.

I can remember covering those early basketball games and they were bad. In soccer and softball, there were more rec leagues for younger girls than basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT