ADVERTISEMENT

SHC vs San Jose high

They play next at that South Bay juggernaut - Christopher - who lost to Valley Christian by 47. After that game they travel to that peninsula heavyweight Capuchino then host some crappy team from Colorado! At least they'll break a sweat when they play St Joseph. Last warm up before rugged WCAL action has them at the renowned Monte Vista Christian Don & Martha Price Christmas Tournament down in Watsonville...... Not sure how this is going to get them ready for the WCAL!

They play next at that South Bay juggernaut - Christopher - who lost to Valley Christian by 47. After that game they travel to that peninsula heavyweight Capuchino then host some crappy team from Colorado! At least they'll break a sweat when they play St Joseph. Last warm up before rugged WCAL action has them at the renowned Monte Vista Christian Don & Martha Price Christmas Tournament down in Watsonville...... Not sure how this is going to get them ready for the WCAL!

Probably doesn't. But it'll assure them of a CCS playoff spot....

I have a different view on this. Agreed, this was not "competition" and doesn't prove that SH is good. However, SH teams post Johns/Fox era had grueling pre-season schedules that Coach Barbour put together, not to mention SH played for several years the MLK showcase at Cal where they were very much handled by better teams each and every time (El Cerrito & Sac High).

I think the moral of the team was not helped by pitting SH against teams they most likely arent going to beat. Psychologically this can affect the kids into thinking they aren't a good enough team and that can fester throughout the season when its a meatgrinder during league. Can argue the post Johns/Fox teams just weren't mentally tough or did not play unselfishly, which led to more losses than wins. In any case this reversal by scheduling cupcakes can help with the moral that can carry into the season.

This team is still a young team with just a couple of seniors. The team's strength is Neal, Monroe and Olgesby.

I have a different view on this. Agreed, this was not "competition" and doesn't prove that SH is good. However, SH teams post Johns/Fox era had grueling pre-season schedules that Coach Barbour put together, not to mention SH played for several years the MLK showcase at Cal where they were very much handled by better teams each and every time (El Cerrito & Sac High).

I think the moral of the team was not helped by pitting SH against teams they most likely arent going to beat. Psychologically this can affect the kids into thinking they aren't a good enough team and that can fester throughout the season when its a meatgrinder during league. Can argue the post Johns/Fox teams just weren't mentally tough or did not play unselfishly, which led to more losses than wins. In any case this reversal by scheduling cupcakes can help with the moral that can carry into the season.

This team is still a young team with just a couple of seniors. The team's strength is Neal, Monroe and Olgesby.

I hear where you are coming from but they've gone from one extreme to the other IMO. I guess that I come from the school of you learn / gain more from a loss than beating up the Sister's of the Poor....

Reactions: GOTF
I hear where you are coming from but they've gone from one extreme to the other IMO. I guess that I come from the school of you learn / gain more from a loss than beating up the Sister's of the Poor....

Dont get me wrong. Playing teams better than you is the way to go. The SH girls team does this every single year and would not have it any other way. Unfortunately last year after the regular season and losing to all the top teams they still were placed in Open only to face certain defeat again. Was hoping the girls get placed in their natural DIII again to make another state title run for Thomas' last year.

I agree with having some young teams and beating some teams. The problem I have is SHC is 40pts better than these San Jose teams. THey could find some teams that they would beat by 20, the teams they are beating couldn't beat JV teams in WCAL.

San Jose High was in the cellar of the BV Easy League last year. A source told me the football team was even worse, hiring this character off the street last year and there was utter chaos this season. The better candidate was the Coach with No limbs( totally serious, good dude). SHC winning 86-18 is scary with backups playing the entire second half. The bulldogs 5'7 lineup did not matchup well. Capuchino wouldn't beat SHC if they played 1000 times. Play a tough tourney and a winable one.

Reactions: Irishman32
I’m going to go out on a limb and trust the process with Coach McKay and these young ball players at SHC. The fact is, what awaits Neal, Oglesby and Monroe is a very tough WCAL League. This is fact. The other fact is they will need a strong and confident supporting cast. Without writing a book right here I will try to get to the point. The other two starters, plus the bench, will need a pre-season where they gain their roles, establish their play and just get the chance to play. I’m not dismissing playing against “weak” teams, but I think this pre-season is an opportunity to get the supporting cast ready. Yes, maybe if SHC played top teams and went 0-12, would that get them ready for the WCAL?? Perhaps. But maybe the supporting cast, right now, will get both a morale boost and opportunities to grow during this pre-season by being able to play considerable minutes right now. I don’t totally understand but I will trust the process. The Big 3 at SHC will face major challenges come January but personally I think they will be ready. The upside is the 6’8 kid will play come January 1st and provide rim protection in the middle. The kid still has a way to go but I think with him playing with the Big 3, he will get it pretty quick.

Didn't SHC open up on the road against James Logan with a W?
Didn't James Logan just win the De La Salle Tournament?
I was at the Logan Game and I was very impressed with the SHC Team. Logan was decent, had talent but SHC’s 3 of Neal, Monroe and Ogelsby was just too much for them. My concern is these 3 can’t do it all by themselves especially in a very tough WCAL League. But, I will declare that they learned from last year, are battle-tested and it will be nice to see how they respond this season.

I’m going to go out on a limb and trust the process with Coach McKay and these young ball players at SHC. The fact is, what awaits Neal, Oglesby and Monroe is a very tough WCAL League. This is fact. The other fact is they will need a strong and confident supporting cast. Without writing a book right here I will try to get to the point. The other two starters, plus the bench, will need a pre-season where they gain their roles, establish their play and just get the chance to play. I’m not dismissing playing against “weak” teams, but I think this pre-season is an opportunity to get the supporting cast ready. Yes, maybe if SHC played top teams and went 0-12, would that get them ready for the WCAL?? Perhaps. But maybe the supporting cast, right now, will get both a morale boost and opportunities to grow during this pre-season by being able to play considerable minutes right now. I don’t totally understand but I will trust the process. The Big 3 at SHC will face major challenges come January but personally I think they will be ready. The upside is the 6’8 kid will play come January 1st and provide rim protection in the middle. The kid still has a way to go but I think with him playing with the Big 3, he will get it pretty quick.

This was well explained and exactly what I was getting at. If the other guys like Reed, Hudson, Forrest-Contreras give at least combined 15 points and play solid defense, then SH will be right there at the end of the game.

I dont see a clear favorite or a clear cellar-dweller for league. Any one of 5 teams can win league this year probably with a 9-5 record and the last place team might finish 6-8 this year. This is one of the most evenly distributed basketball league years that I can remember. Might be worth getting a WCAL season pass!

I'm very optimistic about the upcoming Season for SHC. I'm hoping to see a buy-in from the kids to work together to get the job done. They're quick and they can score.

Next Saturday at Valley Christian versus St. Joe's will be interesting. Sorry I'm looking ahead, but I have December 23rd at 4pm at Valley Christian on my calendar.

SHC will be up so many points that their starters won't get much time. The easy baskets they get playing these inferior San Jose teams gives them fools gold.
Play the "A" teams in San Jose and only win by 15-20. The "B" and "C" teams are well coached but talent wise very limited.

SHC is a private school playing in the WCAL.

I would think based on what they had coming back, a few get to know your players and some games to identify your bench was a prudent plan. As for the team from Colorado, it is coached by an alum of the school so a nice trip back home. I noticed the Colorado school is also playing Lincoln and I believe Skyline.

Reactions: m4success
In recent years, there's plenty of good competition in the City (University, Stuart Hall, Mission, etc.) and nearby (Burlingame, HMB). No need to drive an hour + to blow out a B or C level team. Plus more opportunity to schedule multi year home and away series...my $.02.
Agree. WCAL appears to be very competitive this year!

Reactions: GOTF and 5MatchUp

What your saying would make sense if these kids had played for coach Barbour. None of them have or have played that tough of a schedule. The schedule they played last year got them the number 1 CCS ranking in the playoffs and they still weren't prepared. This schedule isn't doing anything but padding the coaches win/loss record so when he's fired it won't look as bad. This is terrible for those kids and the program.

SHC also has a 6'8" soph transfer from St. Mary's Berkeley who played varsity last year as freshman. He has to sit out until January due to transfer.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I agree and disagree with everyone here...Don't forget the city private schools all have tournaments so scheduling them and playing them may bring some better outside competition but also makes SHC play these schools constantly which gets old. (pre-season, then league, playoffs ) The SHC girls team played SI 5 times in one season maybe two years ago, it was a little too much but it proved SHC dominance for the girls basketball program. Irishman32, you are correct about some of the other schedules. It is what it is...the team is trying to gel and grow collectively, just let them be for now and we will see there identity soon enough. I also agree they shouldn't be losing to most of these teams and if the subs get some decent playing time its pretty good too, cause you know what you have in the BIG Three already. Super excited to see the 6'8 transfer...He doesn't even need to score this year, but rim protect would be a fantastic addition. If he alters half the shots, he is doing his job, make sure they keep feeding him steak and chicken.:)

Last edited:
The SI (boys) and Riordan pre-season tournaments don't have other WCAL teams in them so that isn't an issue.

As a high school basketball fan seeing Riordan take on (and more often lose than win) University, Lick and Stuart Hall is much more interesting than SHC's preseason opponents. Also this Friday Mission at University should be an incredibly competitive / interesting game. Spencer Spivy (University) is the real deal as is Ben Knight for Mission. Lastly, I know that Mission scrimmaged SHC but that would be a great game experience for the kids as well as fans.....

The fact that SHC beat a pretty good Logan Team is an indicator that SHC is not a Weak Team by any means. Actually, SHC has at least 4 WCAL Battle-Tested Boys that will not good down without a fight. Not too sure of Coach McKay's pre-season choices. Let's understand one thing at least, Coach McKay is a South Bay product with tremendous East Bay ties. He's still getting used to San Francisco basketball, period.
Last year, McKay used Coach Barbour's Pre Season Schedule so honestly I give the young coach a Pre-Season Pass this time. McKay is still adjusting and what I do know is he's more of a relationship building/team building coach. He doesn't like to deal with parents on basketball decision stuff he likes to work directly with your son and team.

This will be a surprising year for the entire SHC Program. Coach does have a good team and I'm hearing next year the program is supposed to add some big-man transfers so......... Neal will be a Senior and Monroe will be a Junior with 6'8 Oscar and a very talented underclass so I'm just sayin........

The fact that SHC beat a pretty good Logan Team is an indicator that SHC is not a Weak Team by any means. Actually, SHC has at least 4 WCAL Battle-Tested Boys that will not good down without a fight. Not too sure of Coach McKay's pre-season choices. Let's understand one thing at least, Coach McKay is a South Bay product with tremendous East Bay ties. He's still getting used to San Francisco basketball, period.
Last year, McKay used Coach Barbour's Pre Season Schedule so honestly I give the young coach a Pre-Season Pass this time. McKay is still adjusting and what I do know is he's more of a relationship building/team building coach. He doesn't like to deal with parents on basketball decision stuff he likes to work directly with your son and team.

This will be a surprising year for the entire SHC Program. Coach does have a good team and I'm hearing next year the program is supposed to add some big-man transfers so......... Neal will be a Senior and Monroe will be a Junior with 6'8 Oscar and a very talented underclass so I'm just sayin........

If Coach Mackay can pull a couple more Kevin Greenes over from Oakland that would be mind-numbing.

The SI (boys) and Riordan pre-season tournaments don't have other WCAL teams in them so that isn't an issue.

As a high school basketball fan seeing Riordan take on (and more often lose than win) University, Lick and Stuart Hall is much more interesting than SHC's preseason opponents. Also this Friday Mission at University should be an incredibly competitive / interesting game. Spencer Spivy (University) is the real deal as is Ben Knight for Mission. Lastly, I know that Mission scrimmaged SHC but that would be a great game experience for the kids as well as fans.....

It is and can be an issue if you see the same schools in the same league that you play in...Do you want to play possibly 3 teams lets say that you have to be in league and possibly playoffs in potentially 5 times in a year? Pros and Cons but I think I would rather not if I was in WCAL.

Doesn't matter if the kid is 6'8" or 5'8". If he plays smart, unselfish, and does his job, then he's going to play and make impact.

What you said is true Iamgearyblvd when it comes to coaching and play, but I think it does matter for this SHC team and league..:)

Personally, I am giving Coach McKay another year to mold this group and players to be with his style. WCAL is unforgiving. As for University and Mission tonight. After two years of losing game in 4th quarter, I give nod to University tonight with their veteran group and a Mission team still finding itself in the paint (and their primary big man out until league play). Devils by 12.

Personally, I am giving Coach McKay another year to mold this group and players to be with his style. WCAL is unforgiving. As for University and Mission tonight. After two years of losing game in 4th quarter, I give nod to University tonight with their veteran group and a Mission team still finding itself in the paint (and their primary big man out until league play). Devils by 12.
The big kid is the emotional leader of Mission’s Team.

Given it's a new coach at SHC, could they be scheduling lower tier teams to get their bench some game time? It's not the best way to do things but in the WCAL, you can't just rely on a few players. Just look at the Warriors in 2015. They were winning so much that the bench was playing and getting some game experience plus development.

Though, winning by like 60 doesn't really help but you make the best of a situation.

SHC has a core unit of Neal, Ogelsby & Monroe. It’s like having a triple barrel shot-gun. This is established and it is apparent at every game. Monroe is a penetration genius, a certaint inside and outside threat while Neal pretty much can do it all, especially when his outside shot is connecting. Ogelsby, when hot, is an undersized threat on both defense and offense. Cappuccino was never a treat all night which again allowed McKay to continue working out his bench players, some of which are better than others. I believe the big concern will be if and when the the core unit gets in foul trouble, either early on or down the stretch, especially against a really good and DEEP team. Apparently this Colorado Team has been beating up on teams in the Bay Area this week, they have size and their leading scorer had a 37 point game the other night in a win.

SHC will be tested tonight and next Saturday at 5;30pm against St. Joe’s at Valley Christian. After these two games, they play somewhere in like Watsonville in what I believe is a not so competitive Holiday Tournament (only speculating) then they enter WCAL League play.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I would think based on what they had coming back, a few get to know your players and some games to identify your bench was a prudent plan. As for the team from Colorado, it is coached by an alum of the school so a nice trip back home. I noticed the Colorado school is also playing Lincoln and I believe Skyline.
I heard that the Colorado Team walked through the SHC School Campus this past week and the response from the Student Body was “They are BIG!” I also heard this Colorado Team won all their Bay Area games this week so I am hoping to watch a great game tonight! If SHC can pull out a Home Court very competitive Logan-Like Win what a confidence booster that will be for the Varsity Basketball Program. We indeed shall see tonight! This is Tim Burke’s Son’s Team from Colorado.

I heard that the Colorado Team walked through the SHC School Campus this past week and the response from the Student Body was “They are BIG!” I also heard this Colorado Team won all their Bay Area games this week so I am hoping to watch a great game tonight! If SHC can pull out a Home Court very competitive Logan-Like Win what a confidence booster that will be for the Varsity Basketball Program. We indeed shall see tonight! This is Tim Burke’s Son’s Team from Colorado.

Fairview beat Lincoln-SF 63-53. Lincoln plays De La Salle today at 5:30. They also beat Albany 52-46.

Fairview is a good team. They would beat a lot of norcal teams. Good win for the Irish with tons of room for improvement. Oglesby is solid, Monroe isa stat stuffer with a triple double the other night and almost another with 20 points , 9 rebounds and 9 assists, Neal is a proven shooter and Gary was lights out tonight from behind the arc. Looking forward to watching the rest of the way. The big kid will definitely help. I have been to a bunch of high school games this season. There are a handful of good/great guards and Monroe and Neal deserve to be in that conversation, hands down!

Reactions: m4success
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT