ADVERTISEMENT

Social Media and Recruiting

When I read about comments like Coach Frost made here, I think 'yes, that's right'.

Then I think that it might be better to NOT warn the recruits. I think I would rather see the social media posts with the kid speaking his mind so I know his true character. It seems that is better than a kid muting himself and still holding those same thoughts or values. And then you discover he is a low-character guy when he lands on campus. But the social media also matters in the bigger sense - to the schools, fans, etc.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Good set of rules. The "if you don't want your mom to read it, don't tweet it," is a funny but pretty good rule to live by.

I think character stuff like discussed in the article is what coaches worry about. The recruiting stuff might be silly and/or over the top, but not at the top of the worry list

My first reaction was it would be more telling to let the social media thing play out organically to see what is really in the kid's heart, as mentioned above, you would better know what the kid is about rather than have them 'handled' or know the playbook on how to act, and then you find out after they arrive at your campus maybe they're not what you thought...but on further reflection, part of our responsibility as adults, is to show kids how to act. What's ok to say and what's not. Give them the wisdom from our experience so they know how to be as they become adults because maybe, they didn't get it at home or maybe they just have some bad influences around them while they are trying to be cool with their friends.

Either way, I think this advice the coach offers is simple and valuable life stuff. Even if a few kids think of it as just something they have to do to be recruited, some will also realize this is the way they should act.

I personally know a kid that was passed on because of a picture posted Showing him holding a red solo cup. These are things kids have to deal with. And I’m not so sure if something posted 4 years ago is a reflection of that same young man now. I remember a player At DLS posting that he thought he might have got a concussion in a game against BG about 5 years ago. Lad told him he is out for 1 game and would have to get medical clearance to play again. It is something they need to take seriously.

Last edited:
Good set of rules. The "if you don't want your mom to read it, don't tweet it," is a funny but pretty good rule to live by.

I agree, if you run it by mom and she’s cool with it then let it rip, no matter . Someone somewhere is always gonna be offended anyway.

Reactions: Bubba3000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT