ADVERTISEMENT

St. Mary's - Stockton vs Mater Dei @ Levi's Stadium

CN gIves 5 yards back with offsides. 3rd down pass overthrown to Yay Yay. Rams punt and downed at the CN 17.

Another Rams penalty gives CN 5 yards. Sack gets the 5 yards back. However, big screen play to Mendoza plus ANOTHER Rams penalty gives CN the ball 1st and 10 at Rams 12. Smh!

CN TD. 41-34 with 6:05 left. Credit CN for getting back into this game. Screen pass worked well vs Rams. Onside kick?

Jenkins with the return on the squib kick. Rams need a big clock chewing drive.

Handoff to Yay Yay on the fly sweep with Aponte blocking for big gain. Aponte keeper for 6 yards.

Aponte fumbles on the exchange attempt to Frampton. He picks it up and gets a couple. Aponte again rushes for 3 yards for 1st down.

Frampton with carry for big yards. But, holding penalty spot foul brings it all back plus more negative yards.

Aponte gets much of it back on the keeper.

Yay Yay Cotton looking much like his brother Dewey with big gain for 1st down. Frampton with 5 yard run. 2 and 5 at CN 7 with 2:12 left in the game. Rams need this TD to seal the win.

Aponte has just under 200 yards on the ground. But, fumbles the snap again, yet picks it up and gets a few yards before Frampton goes 1 yard for the TD. Frampton with 108 yards for the game, a bit quiet with much focus on him. Aponte taking advantage.

48-34 with 1:39 left in the game.

CN takes the knee and let's the clock expire. Great sports CN! Hats off to CN for a very good effort and keeping this so-called blowout a relatively close one.

The Rams need to regroup and clean up their penalties and turnovers to be ready for Central Catholic.

St. Mary's comes away with win with over 300 yards rushing and only 60+ yards passing.

Latest update is that with Central Catholic vs Marin Catholic cancelled tonight, the Raiders star RB Booker will be sitting out the game vs St. Mary's next week because he was ejected in last week's game. The sit-out is deferred. Big blow to Central Catholic.

However, bigger blow to St. Mary's ... sophomore stud QB Noah May, who was much missed tonight, has a torn labrum. He is out for season. That sucks!

Last edited:
I didn't think about Booker's sit out being deferred. Tough deal for CC to lose a game on the schedule and not have Booker for the Holy Bowl.

Not a lot of moral victory's in sports but good showing by Newman and I'm not surprised. One of the better programs in Norcal every year. I love St Mary's and it sounds like they have work cut out for them. IN the end too much speed for the cardinals. Its beginning to sound like Rancho Cotati is the favorite in the NBL. That should be the champ game end of season.

At this point I think you have to put Folsom as the top dog in SJS after watching/reading some of these scores. Oak Ridge almost laid and egg and Folsom spanks what is a decent Jesuit team. St Mary's injured QB is a bummer.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/7373341-181/padecky-cardinal-newman-earns-respect?artslide=0

Not a lot of moral victory's in sports but good showing by Newman and I'm not surprised. One of the better programs in Norcal every year. I love St Mary's and it sounds like they have work cut out for them. IN the end too much speed for the cardinals. Its beginning to sound like Rancho Cotati is the favorite in the NBL. That should be the champ game end of season.

At this point I think you have to put Folsom as the top dog in SJS after watching/reading some of these scores. Oak Ridge almost laid and egg and Folsom spanks what is a decent Jesuit team. St Mary's injured QB is a bummer.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/7373341-181/padecky-cardinal-newman-earns-respect?artslide=0
No doubt, CN earned respect in the game last night vs St. Mary's. They came to play. They weren't afraid. Indeed, St. Mary's needs has some work to do in taking care of the ball. I, actually, anticipated the worst when switching to a new QB. And, that's ok. To still win by 2 TD's with a 4 to 1 turnover rate against a very good program in Cardinal Newman, I am sure the bus ride home was one of relief. Marcus Aponte will have to carry the load at QB the rest of the way this year for the Rams. That's ok, too. It would have been nice if Noah May was able to return and Aponte could return to the WR role, which he prefers. But, he will do whatever it takes to make his team successful. His rushing for nearly 200 yards proved that. We, as St. Mary's fans, feel confident he will get more comfortable in the QB position and will be expecting more opportunities to throw the ball. It's going to take time and experience for him to settle into the QB position for his team. Hopefully, he will be settled into the QB position, and of course healthy, when playoffs arrive. This game was definitely a wake up call for St. Mary's. I anticipate they will play better vs Central Catholic next week, especially with the game at home.

At this point, I see no reason why Folsom shouldn't be top dog in SJS, given the scores from games around the section, and St. Mary's lost their stud sophomore QB, Noah May, for the season. It's early, and all of this jockeying for rankings at this point really don't mean squat. Heck, St. Mary's played Cardinal Newman close last year in the first half. Yet, the Rams finished strong. Even DLS played Antioch and SRV close last year before finishing strong, as well. Maybe Jesuit who lost big to Granite Bay just isn't as good as many think they are this year? Maybe St. Mary's isn't that good either? Heck, many expected Oak Ridge (including me) to easily beat Vacaville, while Vacaville was pushed by Liberty, which barely got by San Leandro this week. Maybe the SFL is not as "strong" this year as many think, given Oak Ridge's performance vs Vacaville? But, let's not forget how the Rams destroyed every SJS team in it's way last year to win the SJS D1 section championship, including Folsom and Oak Ridge, both SFL teams. So until St. Mary's and Folsom meet again or either suffers a defeat to a team ranked the same or lower, remember it was someone who stated, "to be the best, you have to beat the best." Last I checked, the Rams have yet to lose to an SJS team this year or last year. We will learn more as we get into the playoffs. Who knows? Maybe the Rams slip again and lose to Central Catholic next week? But, let's go ahead and give Folsom the top dog status at this point. Remember, it's not how you start that matters. It's how you finish. Last I recall, Folsom was top dog going into the section championship game last year, while the Rams were the underdog. We all know how it all finished. Right? No doubt, losing Noah May adds a wrinkle to how good St. Mary's is going to be this year. Maybe next weeks game vs Central Catholic might paint a better picture. But, then again, Central Catholic not having Booker can be put right up there with Central Catholic not have many starters missing from their game last year, and the excuses for a Rams victory will be clouded again (should the Rams win this year). Despite all of the shortcomings, it should be a good game, and we should get a better picture as to how good or not so good the Rams are this year. I am still curious myself.

I really admire the job Coach Cronin has done with Cardinal Newman. It was David vs Goliath, and he instilled into his team to keep fighting and they did. Again, hats off to the Cardinals!

Bulldogmgc- Really appreciate your perspective and insights into the St Mary's program. I'm a big fan because I see a lot of the same things in Newman where I'm an Alumni. Quality people and kids. I go down to stockton for one reason. To watch St Mary's football or there girls play hoops. That school is really amazing.

There aren't too many people like Paul Cronin. First class all the way around. Just a guy who gives kids a chance to do something special week in and out. Newman in a 4qtr game has a tough time with a school like St Mary's. Just doesn't have the horses but its a good warm up for both teams and most likely Newman won't face kids that big/strong/fast the rest of the season.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
If SM can clean up penalties they will pick up where they left off last year. Lot of talent and speed. Frampton is a freight train. I expect another deep run this year.

This week it is St. Mary's-Stockton hosting Central Catholic.

Both teams lost their starting QB to graduation. CC lost Cole Petlansky. SM lost Dunniway. The Rams also said goodbye to Keaton Hampton and Dewey Cotton and most of the linemen, while the Raiders are without Montell Bland and Jared Rice.

Last year, Central Catholic had several players sitting out the first half of the game, as the Rams stormed out to a 42-0 lead, finishing with a 49-0 win. Central Catholic did not score in the second half at full strength and players rested (did not play first half), but they came close. Central Catholic did well in crowding the box and stopping St. Mary's ground attack limiting the Dusty Frampton to 76 on 12 carries with one of his carries being for 30 yards. All of St. Mary's scores on offense (note the Rams D had a pick 6 for the other score) came via the air attack by Jake Dunniway who threw for 386 yards on 15 for 25 (and 6 TD's). The Raiders of Central Catholic offense consisted of 3 of 9 passing for 77 yards by Petlansky, including a pick 6, along with 37 carries for 142 yards on the ground.

Click here for highlights from 2016 meeting.

Here's the breakdown for this year's game ...

QB. St. Mary's starting QB for the rest of the season is senior, Marcus Aponte, who performed well on the ground vs Cardinal Newman last week with nearly 200 yards rushing, but not so well in the air, passing for just 61 yards and giving up an interception. If St. Mary's is going to beat Central Catholic, it will need to do better via the air this week and get the ball to their speedsters. Although without Noah May, the Rams aerial attack may not currently reflect its potential, the Raiders have not demonstrated much effort to passing the ball with Azevedo completing just 1 of 5 passes for 25 yards vs Riordan. - Edge Rams.

RB. Dusty Frampton for the Rams was unable to reach 100 yards rushing vs the Raiders last year. But, that is much due to what the Raiders were able to sacrifice. I anticipate the Raiders will dare the Rams to throw again and will flood the box to stop Frampton. Even historically, the Rams have had much difficulty running against the Raiders. On the other side, the ground game is truly the Raiders strength, especially with Booker being available to play in this game. With last week's game vs Marin Catholic cancelled for Central Catholic, Booker is going to be well rested and amp'd to be the driving force for a potential upset victory for the Raiders. The Raiders rushed for 452 yards, with Booker having the majority with 190 yards, against Riordan. Will the Raiders do the same vs St. Mary's? Doubtful. The Rams defense is much better than Riordan's and their strength is in stopping the run. But in the history of this Holy Bowl, every once in awhile the Rams give up a big play run. Edge Raiders.

WR. Too many weapons for the Rams in this position, and much speed. For the Rams to win, Aponte will need to find a way to get them the ball and let them make magic. The Raiders have yet to demonstrate they have an aerial game, but that's because they only played one game. In history, the Raiders do not throw the ball well vs the Rams. It will be especially hard this year against the Rams secondary. I'm not saying the Raiders are not going to try. But, Central Catholic's strength is their running game and I don't see them deviating from it. Still, the Rams must be on guard and can be burned, as they got burned a couple times last week vs Cardinal Newman. Then again, CN's QB was expected to throw and throw well. Just saying that the Rams secondary cannot afford to sleep on "any" QB or WR's. I wouldn't give the Rams a great advantage in this area, because the CC secondary comes to play and like last year, felt they could challenge the Rams WR's. Unfortunately, some of their starting secondary was on the bench last year in the first half. Still, Rams have too much speed in this area. Edge Rams.

TE. St. Mary's does not utilize this position. But, the Raiders have shown historically that they release a TE off the line and sneak a pass to him. However, I don't see it happening this year, but it could happen ... Edge Raiders.

OL/DL. Both the Rams and the Raiders have decent lines this year. St. Mary's had an edge last year. This year it's a toss-up. Even.

LB. The Raiders are good at stopping the run because they field a good set of LB's. The Rams anchored by Harrison Heath have a good bunch of LB's, too. Even.

Secondary
. Although CC (fans I ran into last year) has bragged about having the secondary to stop the Rams aerial attack, it is this area that the Rams will challenge to win the game. Very much doubt exists for the Raiders to pass against the Rams secondary, and if they do, I can picture a bunch of INT's, maybe even a pick 6. However, the Raiders had 3 INT's against Riordan and Aponte has yet to prove he can throw the ball. The Raider could surprise the Rams and take advantage of Aponte's experience and find the same success. But, still like the Rams secondary against the Raiders passing game. Edge Rams.

Special Teams. I will repeat ... St. Mary's transfer student kicker is awesome! The Rams have shined in special teams this year, demonstrating they are lethal in returning KO's (ie. KO return TD by Jamar Marshall vs CN last week). However, the Raiders kicker is averaging kickoff for 56 yards leaving the ball very close for touchbacks (but, no touch backs). All-around athlete, Booker, has a punt return for 42 yards. Rams have demonstrated good ko/punt coverage against Serra and CN. Edge Rams.

Tangibles. Central Catholic comes into this game rested and on a high learning Dauson Booker will be able to play. The Rams come into this game with an extra game experience plus home field advantage. Although the Rams varsity won big last year. The Raiders JV team beat the Rams JV team 33-22, handing the Rams JV team their only loss. The Rams JV team won in 2015. Even.

In summary, this game is expected to settled in the trenches. Rams need to stop Booker. Rams need to show they can throw the ball and get it to their WR's. The Rams also need to hold onto the ball and STOP with the penalties. The Raiders need to control the ground game and feed the ball to Booker with success. The Raiders need to take advantage of anything the Rams give up (ie. turnovers, penalties) and pressure Aponte (don't let him escape or get the ball to open WR's). Calpreps projects a 46-17 win for St. Mary's. However, just as CN was able to play a closer game vs St. Mary's last year, I anticipate Central Catholic will come to play and their defense and ground game will keep this game close, as well. Anticipate a defensive battle keeping the game close and low scoring. Rams with the victory 24-21.

Last edited:
Big break with Dausan Booker being ruled eligible to play. Will it make any difference?

YES! Booker is a beast. Here is some video. He is a one man wrecking ball who also plays LB on defense. With Booker on board, Central Catholic will have an offense to challenge the Rams defense. The Rams D will be ready. But, because Central Catholic has a defense that can challenge the Rams offense, this game is going to be closer than many anticipate. Rams MUST clean up their penalties and turnovers to win this game. Else, the Raiders can possibly pull off the upset. Had Noah May been available to play, he would have had better potential to stretch out the Raider secondary, like he did vs Serra and the Rams would be bringing more balance and find the easier win. Aponte will need to step up big with his arm and show he can throw the ball. Can he do it? I think he can. Hence, I lean with the Rams and their speedy WR's making the difference and the Rams pulling off the close victory. This game will be a tougher contest for the Rams, than the games vs Serra and Cardinal Newman. But, I say this because Coach Canepa has more experience going up against St. Mary's. Only a few times has the Holy Bowl been blowouts (like last year). There have been times when the favorite has lost. This game could potentially be one of those times. Still, I take the Rams.

This should be a great game. SM without their QB allowed Cardinal Newman to stay somewhat respectably close in score, they still won comfortably controlling the game. But their QB should be better having a game under his belt, so watch out CC. CC will be well rested after last weeks cancelled game. Should be a fun matchup to watch. Favor SM by a few scores.

Interesting tidbit: St. Mary's leads this all-time "Holy Bowl South" series 15-10 and have won 7 of the past 10.

BTW, I think it's cool that both area Holy Bowl games are being played the same weekend. Jesuit v CBS should be a good one too.

Agree. I struggled in my Pick'ems between Jesuit vs CBS. CBS played Manteca tough and only lost by 1 point. Jesuit beat CBS pretty handily last year, and CBS lost the JV game last year pretty big. Hence, I went with Jesuit. But, that Manteca game haunts me because Manteca is pretty good, having beaten WCAL power team Valley Christian in a close one.

Everything is going wrong for the rams. Muffed a punt on their own 20 yd line. End of the 3rd.

Agree. I struggled in my Pick'ems between Jesuit vs CBS. CBS played Manteca tough and only lost by 1 point. Jesuit beat CBS pretty handily last year, and CBS lost the JV game last year pretty big. Hence, I went with Jesuit. But, that Manteca game haunts me because Manteca is pretty good, having beaten WCAL power team Valley Christian in a close one.
Agree. That Manteca game is the reason I pulled the trigger to go with CB.

Everything is going wrong for the rams. Muffed a punt on their own 20 yd line. End of the 3rd.
Plus scoreboard out, plus broken chains. Totally exposed! No passing game. One dimensional against a team that defends the ground game. Congrats Central Catholic!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT