ADVERTISEMENT

St. Mary's - Stockton vs Mater Dei - Venue Update

bulldogmgc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
St. Mary's football website is now reflecting this game will be played @ Levi's Stadium on Saturday, 9/23 @ 7PM, instead of @ St. Mary's High School.

Mater Dei's football website still reflects the game will be played @ St. Mary's High School on Saturday, 9/23 @ 7PM.

I will be seeking confirmation later today.

Must say SM is biting off a lot here, ya'll think they can stay close?
Guys...The thing to remember is although they took a hit to grad, they also have a very very good JV team to build off, they won't be too far off from last years team...With four on D and 4 on O, building around them and the coaching staff that they have, we will see a strong Ram team ready to go....

IMHO, it will not be close. #22 Dusty Frampton is a very good RB as we witnessed last year, and his strength is his power/speed once he gets into the opponents backfield. That is where the challenge sets in. Last year, he had a very good o-line to create holes for him to get into the backfield. Even vs SJB, once he got into the backfield he would gain another 8 to 10 yards. He's a beast to bring down once he gets thru the trenches. This year, the question that remains to be answered, will be does he have a good enough o-line to create the holes he needs to get thru. Given the fact that St. Mary's QB, Jake Dunniway, graduated and a newbie will be behind center, #22 is going to need there to be an aerial threat from the newbie QB, else the opponents SM faces are going to stack the box, and it will be near impossible for #22 to get thru and have an impact. The newbie, QB, if indeed it is the sophomore Noah May, may surprise a bunch of folks. But, he too, will need protection. Max Barth and Hunter Jones are anticipated to anchor the Ram's line on both sides. Just not sure it will be enough, especially against Mater Dei. If Noah May is the Rams QB and is able to perform like he did during 7x7 camps earlier this sprint, again, he might surprise a bunch of folks. This will be the Rams only hope of keeping it competitive. I just don't see the Rams' D having the ability to stop or slow down MD QB, JT Daniels, and the Monarchs offense. They are just too good. Mater Dei 48 St. Mary's 17 is a fair projection. I think we will all have a better assessment of how good the Rams are from their very first game vs Serra. Serra is not Mater Dei. But, if St. Mary's has any hope vs Mater Dei, they will need to be very impressive vs the Padres, like they were last year. I anticipate the game vs Serra is going to be a very close contest with either team having the chance to win. Like many agree, the Rams are not the same team as last year, with so much lost to graduation. Mater Dei, IMHO, is a better team than last year with another year under his belt for JT Daniels. Kudos to Coach Franks for scheduling this game. Just praying it does not result in a match-up similar to the 2005 Rams vs Chowchilla after winning the SJS D1 section championship in 2004. What a crazy scheduling move that was with much more talent lost to graduation. I at least appreciate that this game is schedule later into the non-league schedule vs right away when he has a team that needs to get some experience, especially at QB and on the lines.

Reactions: feedback1
IMHO, it will not be close. #22 Dusty Frampton is a very good RB as we witnessed last year, and his strength is his power/speed once he gets into the opponents backfield. That is where the challenge sets in. Last year, he had a very good o-line to create holes for him to get into the backfield. Even vs SJB, once he got into the backfield he would gain another 8 to 10 yards. He's a beast to bring down once he gets thru the trenches. This year, the question that remains to be answered, will be does he have a good enough o-line to create the holes he needs to get thru. Given the fact that St. Mary's QB, Jake Dunniway, graduated and a newbie will be behind center, #22 is going to need there to be an aerial threat from the newbie QB, else the opponents SM faces are going to stack the box, and it will be near impossible for #22 to get thru and have an impact. The newbie, QB, if indeed it is the sophomore Noah May, may surprise a bunch of folks. But, he too, will need protection. Max Barth and Hunter Jones are anticipated to anchor the Ram's line on both sides. Just not sure it will be enough, especially against Mater Dei. If Noah May is the Rams QB and is able to perform like he did during 7x7 camps earlier this sprint, again, he might surprise a bunch of folks. This will be the Rams only hope of keeping it competitive. I just don't see the Rams' D having the ability to stop or slow down MD QB, JT Daniels, and the Monarchs offense. They are just too good. Mater Dei 48 St. Mary's 17 is a fair projection. I think we will all have a better assessment of how good the Rams are from their very first game vs Serra. Serra is not Mater Dei. But, if St. Mary's has any hope vs Mater Dei, they will need to be very impressive vs the Padres, like they were last year. I anticipate the game vs Serra is going to be a very close contest with either team having the chance to win. Like many agree, the Rams are not the same team as last year, with so much lost to graduation. Mater Dei, IMHO, is a better team than last year with another year under his belt for JT Daniels. Kudos to Coach Franks for scheduling this game. Just praying it does not result in a match-up similar to the 2005 Rams vs Chowchilla after winning the SJS D1 section championship in 2004. What a crazy scheduling move that was with much more talent lost to graduation. I at least appreciate that this game is schedule later into the non-league schedule vs right away when he has a team that needs to get some experience, especially at QB and on the lines.

I'm secretly hoping Frampton doesn't get bigger offers and he chooses Cal Poly. Could totally see him replacing Joe Protheroe as the stud fullback in the Mustangs triple option

Folsom won the section title in 2015 after graduating just about everyone off of the 2014 state championship team. So, it is possible for St. Mary's to get back to the section title game.
Possible, sure. I am hopeful, too. But, anticipate there is going to be much tougher competition this year for SJS D1 sections, mostly coming out of the SFL, than there was last year for the Rams. Much depends on the Rams newbie QB. If he is as good as advertised, yes, there is definitely hope. Then again, he (Noah) may not even get the nod and be asked to wait one more year (just a sophomore). We'll see. Very anxious, indeed!

Reactions: ncscalfootball
Second thought ... there isn't much advertisement for St. Mary's potential newbie QB, Noah May. It's been kinda on the down-low. But, what I saw from YouTube highlight film for 7-on-7 from earlier this spring, its enough for me to be hopeful.

Not a bad line with Jonah and Tommy!
Take a good look at the St. Mary's of Stockton pregame season, there are no soft touches...Just maybe, the coach has set this up to prepare the Rams for the MD game....In any case, I don't think that MD will run away with this game, but both teams will be battle hardened at that point...
8-26.....Serra 10-5 Sat. Home 7 P.M.
9-01.....Cardinal Newman 12-2 Friday away 7 P.M.
9-08.....Central catholic 8-4 Friday home 7:15 P.M.
9-16.....Cosume Oaks 8-4 Sat. away 7:15 P.M.
9-23.....Mater Dei 13-1 Sat. home 7 P.M.
If the new kid at QB is mobile enough and not afraid to take hits, has a fair arm and learns what his recievers and RB's can do and gets fair protection, then maybe the Rams will be ready for MD.....

If the new kid at QB is mobile enough and not afraid to take hits, has a fair arm and learns what his recievers and RB's can do and gets fair protection, then maybe the Rams will be ready for MD.....
I don't see this being a good outing for SM. You need a season QB to compete against MD. The stage is too big for most first year QB.

Reactions: northbayfb
SM defense will have a tough night. I think they will score some points but probably a similar outing to last season against SJB.

St. Mary's football website is now reflecting this game will be played @ Levi's Stadium on Saturday, 9/23 @ 7PM, instead of @ St. Mary's High School.

Mater Dei's football website still reflects the game will be played @ St. Mary's High School on Saturday, 9/23 @ 7PM.

I will be seeking confirmation later today.

Any confirmation of this?

Would be surprised if it is a close game. St. Mary's has a very good program, but MD is extremely loaded this season.

St. Mary's football website is now reflecting this game's location as TBA. My contact was not able to confirm. But, we are confident we will have an update just before the season starts.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Confirmation received ... St. Mary's will be hosting Mater Dei on Saturday, 9/23, @ 7PM @ Levis Stadium. Levis Stadium tries to host at least 2 high school football games a year. This will be one of them.

Unfortunately, they will be using their own people to work the chain gang. I was hoping I was going to get the opp to be on the field to work the chains for this game. Oh well. I will be on the SM field for sure for the Serra game, but may ask my son to take my spot, as I am still healing from my pulled hamstring.

Levis Stadium is also trying to get ESPN to cover this game.

Apparently, Levi's is paying some $ to St. Mary's to play on their field. But, anticipate Levi's will get paid more $ by ESPN if they can work out a deal.

Mater Dei vs St. Mary's and Los Altos vs Wilcox in the FNL doubleheader at Levi's ...it is old news, with the games tweeted about more than a week ago after they were listed on Ticketmaster.

Mater Dei vs St. Mary's and Los Altos vs Wilcox in the FNL doubleheader at Levi's ...it is old news, with the games tweeted about more than a week ago after they were listed on Ticketmaster.
Please provide link to Ticketmaster selling tickets for this event. I could not find anything on Ticketmaster. Indeed old news, I shared about the MD vs SM game on 7/25/17 (more than TWO weeks ago) when I noticed the SM Football website sharing the game would be at Levi's Stadium. But, their website changed it to TBD. I even reached out to the local paper today, and they have shared from their perspective that it is unofficial. I have asked them to follow up, given my lead info I received today. Hence, why they haven't reported it. If you have additional information (ie. link to twitter where this is being tweeted), please share. Any additional info to solidify or means to obtain tickets would be much appreciated. Was hoping I would be getting in free (working the chain gang), but not going to happen (per my chain gang lead). Would love to get tickets for the MD vs SM game. Thanks!

Found this article, as well, but still no where to be found that the tickets are on sale, even though it is reported they would be available August 7th to the public. If anyone has info, please share link to purchase tickets. Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT