ADVERTISEMENT

State Bowl game site selection

John Mellencamp

Sports Fanatic
Sep 15, 2017
Outside of the Open and D1-D2 games being hosted at Sac St, how are sites for the other game selected?

the lower 8 division games are at or home sites for the SoCal teams.

Question:
In 2018 when the Open, D1, and D2 matchups most likely move back down to SoCal, will the 8 lower division games be played at the home fields of the NorCal teams ?

Joe D, from the SacBee seems to think so. But I wont believe it until I see it. If it was about being equal there wouldn't be 5 games up North and 8 down South. And before we had 13 games, all the games were down South.

Reactions: awood1
Question:
In 2018 when the Open, D1, and D2 matchups most likely move back down to SoCal, will the 8 lower division games be played at the home fields of the NorCal teams ?
I believe I read an article on this a few years ago and that's the way it was set up. The CIF wanted to make it fair for both sides of the State so they put in this plan. This happened after the Sections from the North made a good case that it wasn't fair to make them travel every year.

Last I checked 5-8 isn't fair. So like I said, I wont believe until I see it.

Another thing the SoCal teams playing here in NoCal are at Sac St and not at the home fields of the NoCal teams,before it expanded the games were played dn south at the Home Depot Center,that's fair in my opinion.Why are the 8 lower div's from NoCal playing at the homes of the SoCal teams?Don't they have JC's or other venues like HS's whose teams aren't playing and could host a game or two and be neutral?Take Placer for example they will be playing Crenshaw at Crenshaw HS......why not a neutral place?

So if that's the case than in 2018 when supposedly the Big 5 go back dn south than the other 8 lower div's from SoCal should HAVE to play at the NoCal's home fields!Sounds fair to me.

Another thing the SoCal teams playing here in NoCal are at Sac St and not at the home fields of the NoCal teams,before it expanded the games were played dn south at the Home Depot Center,that's fair in my opinion.Why are the 8 lower div's from NoCal playing at the homes of the SoCal teams?Don't they have JC's or other venues like HS's whose teams aren't playing and could host a game or two and be neutral?Take Placer for example they will be playing Crenshaw at Crenshaw HS......why not a neutral place?
Funny but I agree! The "Kids from the HIlls" vs "The Boyz N Da Hood". I mean the Hillmen are going to be literally playing in the Hood probably for the first time in their lives.

Crenshaw or "The Shaw" as their students referred themselves as in the late 70's. "The Shaw" became a famous nickname in which students would mimic as if they were saying "The Shah" which was short for the Shah of Iran. Ask a kid from Crenshaw what school he/she goes to and they said "The Shaw".

South Central LA baby!!! It get's no better than this. Crenshaw Blvd in the 80's was the place to be. Back in the day the stars frequent Crenshaw Blvd. I've personally seen stars such as Magic Johnson, Paul Pierce, Kobe Bryant, Janet Jackson and Rapper Eminem on Crenshaw Blvd.

For those of you that have never been to South Central LA, I advise you to seek "Fatburgers" on Figueroa Blvd. Omg, they have the tastiest and juiciest burgers in the Business. I get the double with grilled onions/Swiss cheese/bacon and a side of jalapenos. There's two of them on Figueroa Blvd and one on Venice Blvd. There's also one in Hollywood off of Vermont Avenue. This is the one the stars frequent on the weekend after the Club scene. It's their late night hangout spot. The Hollywood and LA stars need a place to hang sometimes, I guess.

Also, if you've never tried the original "Rosco's Chicken & Waffles" I've been told the one on Pico Blvd is really good. Also, if you have a lot of time on your hands visit the Fox Hill Mall in Culver City. This mall is famous in it's own right and only 20 to 30 minutes from Crenshaw High. Mall Cop was shot there along with other hit movies. Back in the day it was a stars habitat. I've seen Rocky Balboa, Jack Nicholson, Arsenio Hall, Eddie Murphy, Steve Garvey, Robin Williams as well as Arnold Schwarzenegger there.

That said, if you're going to do some serious shopping I would venture over to the "Westfield Century City" shopping mall. This shopping mall is a State of the art type shopping venue. Westfield has a 15 screen movie theater, Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdale's and many other outlets as well as good eatery's. Just a few of many more places to chill before the game and after. Glad to be a help to those that don't know the area.

"The Junkie"

Last edited:
Reactions: championcif75

My guess the reason why they play at home sites is money. Why pay for a neutral site, or multiple neutral sites when you can use home sites where you are guaranteed the gates will be larger if one team doesn't have to travel at all.

Definitely creates a bit of an unfair advantage to the Southern teams though...

Champion I agree, they're plenty of neutral fields available since most other teams season's are over. That's like last year Mack had to play La Jolla Country Day on their own field for the state championship.. Galileo has to travel 9 hours 53 mins. 603 miles from San Francisco to Calexico to play Vincent Memorial on their home field for a state championship, that's ridiculous. The CIF preaches fairness but does not practice it when it comes to site selection. How is playing a state final game on your opponents home field fair having to make a 9 hour 53 min. bus ride there to play it? Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Good lord quit whining.Any team that has a chance to win state doesn’t care where the game is played.In all likelihood next year the 8 South teams will be traveling #waityourturn
No one is whining ararar, just pointing out facts. Really, the travel part is not this issue.. It would just be fair to the away to be playing at a neutral site instead of the opponents home field. Even it when they come north I would still rather have it at a neutral site.. I see you don't like playing on even fields.

No one is whining ararar, just pointing out facts. Really, the travel part is not this issue.. It would just be fair to the away to be playing at a neutral site instead of the opponents home field. Even it when they come north I would still rather have it at a neutral site.. I see you don't like playing on even fields.
Ok fair enough but personally I don’t think it matters.Also I think there is one more year up north after this.
Will be interesting to see what venue they announce down here.A brand new 22,000 seat stadium will be finished spring of 18 next to the coliseum where the sports arena used to be

Sac State offered the venue for free, so I'm guessing whoever asks the least amount will be the new home of the CIF football championship.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Last I checked 5-8 isn't fair. So like I said, I wont believe until I see it.
So I think it's too bad that all games can't be on Neutral sites, but at the same time if they rotate between North and South ( 5 big games and the 8 lower level) every few years than that is a level playing field if the 8 lowers are in NorCals home field when they rotate em

Ok fair enough but personally I don’t think it matters.Also I think there is one more year up north after this.
Will be interesting to see what venue they announce down here.A brand new 22,000 seat stadium will be finished spring of 18 next to the coliseum where the sports arena used to be
These games should be played in Fresno on a yearly basis. Fresno is a football town and it's pretty close to the center of California. The weather in Fresno would be as good as it gets. On top of that, It would be a great replacement for the "West Coast Relays". For those that are too young to remember the WCR it was a Track & Field meet extravaganza that put the city of Fresno on the map back in the 70's. Folks came from all over the world to this event. It was the talk of California for many years. It would be great to see the best high school football talent come to that city for the state championship games. Five games could be played at Bulldog Stadium (Home of Fresno State) and the other five games could be played at Ratcliffe Stadium (Home of the Fresno City College Rams). With these two venues the state championship games would be a huge thing if promoted right. Promotions mean everything. This is a great product but it has yet to be promoted to it's highest potential. Fresno, Fresno, Fresno, Fresno, Fresno!!!

Last edited:
Trojan,that would only be fair.....correct?
So if that's the case than in 2018 when supposedly the Big 5 go back dn south than the other 8 lower div's from SoCal should HAVE to play at the NoCal's home fields!Sounds fair to me.

Championcif75

Based on how I worded my question and agreeing with your 2nd response, yes when Open, D1, and D2 move back to SoCal the other 8 divisional games should be played in NorCal.

Honestly, I never liked how the CIF made the change in the first place. From 2006 to 2013 all games were played at the Home Depot Center.

From 2014 when CIF moved the Big 5 games north to Sac State, all the other divisional games should have also been moved to NorCal regardless of how many additional divisions were created by the CIF.

IMHO the SoCal – NorCal rotation was never fair to the lower divisions when the CIF made the change.

Last edited:
Buchanan High's Veteran's Memorial Field, the same venue as the CIF State Track & Field Championships. Veterans Memorial Stadium has hosted the CIF State Track and Field Championships since 2009. It's a first class venue and can seat 10,000, 700 less than Sac State with a nice grass knolls on both ends of the field with nice end zone views. It's centrally located in the state. This place is nice if you haven't been, for a high school stadium. Here's a quick drone video and some images. even if it's it's just lower divisions. It's neutral and it's central for north and south.
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...c.1.64.psy-ab..0.2.358...0i30k1.0.h9SyAZ4xkLw

These games should be played in Fresno on a yearly basis. Fresno is a football town and it's pretty close to the center of California. The weather in Fresno would be as good as it gets. On top of that, It would be a great replacement for the West Coast Relays". For those that are too young to remember the WCR it was a Track & Field meet extravaganza that put the city of Fresno on the map back in the 70's. Folks came from all over the world to this event. It was the talk of California for many years. It would be great to see the best high school football talent come to that city for the state championship games. Five games could be played at Bulldog Stadium (Home of Fresno State) and the other five games could be played at Ratcliffe Stadium (Home of the Fresno City College Rams). With these two venues the state championship games would be a huge thing if promoted right. Promotions mean everything. This is a great product but it has yet to be promoted to it's highest potential. Fresno, Fresno, Fresno, Fresno, Fresno!!!

The only problem with having it is in Fresno is you would be in....well Fresno. Might as well be in Calcutta or some other third world city.

HMB vs Steele Canyon game changed to Southwestern College in Chula Vista adds a bit to the drive but it's a neutral field! Kinda ...

All I have to say is, Fresno is a huge football city. And folks there are very knowledgeable on every level of football. Promoted right it would be huge in that city.

All I’m saying is someone who has done a lot of traveling for sports for my kids it’s always refreshing to get to go somewhere nice with plenty to offer. It’s part of the whole package.
Now for football, it’s one game and done so yeah you wouldn’t have to stay an extended time and it might work.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
Couldn't have said it better....good job PG.

I saw in the Auburn newspaper that Placer needed to raise $5k-8k to pay for trip down to LA for the game after having to travel to Salinas the week before for the NorCal game. Does CIF pay for any of the expenses teams incur to travel for these games?

Placer is raising additional funds to help the cost of this trip,they will be staying over nite (fri)maybe two(Saturday)it's a strain but community is helping,firefighters are out there helping....they'll go down in comfort charter buses .Placer will be taken care of trust me,parents family friends all going dn as well.
How can I donate to this? This is a great cause and I want to make sure the kids make it down there in style. Go Hillman!!!

Placer is raising additional funds to help the cost of this trip,they will be staying over nite (fri)maybe two(Saturday)it's a strain but community is helping,firefighters are out there helping....they'll go down in comfort charter buses .Placer will be taken care of trust me,parents family friends all going dn as well.

How can I donate to this? This is a great cause and I want to make sure the kids make it down there in style. Go Hillman!!!

Wow, thanks! You can drop off donations at Depoe Bay Coffee Company in downtown Auburn, or donate online here:https://squareup.com/store/Placer-Football-Booster-Club

Thanks again! The community's support has been phenomenal! Everyone is so excited and supportive--small town football is pretty darn special.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT