ADVERTISEMENT

the 2017-18 season

air_baller

Board Regular
Jan 9, 2014
Sooooo with practice about a month away anyone have any predictions or anything about how this year will playout?? James Akinjo or Logan Johnson POY? are the top 3 teams from the SJS this year (MC, Sheldon, Cap chris) Is MC the clear cut hands down fav now that jordan brown isnt in the picture? Can Odows Sr class finally put it together after all that hype? Can Mission or SPSV defend their titles? Im REALLY REALLY curious to see what the norcal playoffs look like with the re-seeding thing. Does norcal have ANY chance in the open??? I know Mater Dei is more loaded than usual. Im bored at work.....any Thoughts??

Sooooo with practice about a month away anyone have any predictions or anything about how this year will playout?? James Akinjo or Logan Johnson POY? are the top 3 teams from the SJS this year (MC, Sheldon, Cap chris) Is MC the clear cut hands down fav now that jordan brown isnt in the picture? Can Odows Sr class finally put it together after all that hype? Can Mission or SPSV defend their titles? Im REALLY REALLY curious to see what the norcal playoffs look like with the re-seeding thing. Does norcal have ANY chance in the open??? I know Mater Dei is more loaded than usual. Im bored at work.....any Thoughts??

Top 3 teams from sjs will be Folsom, MC and Sheldon or Jesuit. CC is a few notches below.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
WCAL should be deep with a lot of contenders... SI, Bellarmine, Mitty, St. Francis, Serra should all be in the mix and VC is on the rise... whichever 2 make CCS Open final should be locks for Norcal Open...

WCAL should be deep with a lot of contenders... SI, Bellarmine, Mitty, St. Francis, Serra should all be in the mix and VC is on the rise... whichever 2 make CCS Open final should be locks for Norcal Open...
SI looks very strong this year. Everyone returns, but Roberts. And add 2 promising and talented 6-6 and 6-8 juniors.

Agree 'bout the WCAL, the league is flat-out loaded. I'm planning on trying to make some games down there this season even though it's a bit of a run from Concord to the peninsula.

SJS, you guys are probably spot-on, too. I'd add Monterey Trail to that mix. Also, at least in the smaller-school ranks, Elliot Christian.

Could be a very good year for the WCAL. Look at the all league team from last year and a lot of returners made the list.

Modesto Christian, Folsom and Sheldon are the top teams in the SJS. Jesuit will be dangerous too.

East Bay is pretty wide open with Salesian and O'Dowd looking like the top teams (can't discount DLS and Monte Vista). Probably missing a few, but these are the teams that are popping into my head right now

You guys say the same hyped up teams every year. Then teams like Mission SF, St Patrick/ St Vincent, James Logan, come out of no where and surprise all you “hype beast” There is no clear cut top team. That’s why we play the game and have the respective playoff sections. Otherwise we would pick the best Norcal team and the best SoCal team every year and just let them play it out. Hs is so watered down now. Modesto will be better this year because they have 5 transfers. Hell pick the worst team in Northern California last year and give them the players that just transferred into MC and I bet they are a top team as well. I respect the programs that develop players such as Newark Memorial and Monte Vista, De La Salle, Mitty

Others to pay at least some attention to:

Branson. 2nd year after the return of legendary coach Honick (if he's back, no info on MaxPreps).

St. Joe's. Lost their starting backcourt to D1 colleges, big shoes to fill... But they'll be solid, maybe better.

University, Lick Wilmerding, and Stuart Hall always seem to be tough to beat.

Unless there have been multiple transfers out, West Campus could be strong; most of their top players should be back.

I can see st.marys-stockton taking a step forward this year. 2 playoff wins vs folsom last year and return 4 of their top 5 scorers. 3 who were underclassmen.

I feel like Modesto Christian is the clear cut Fav in norcal this year. Whomever can survive the WCAL slugfest should be 2nd. I do agree, it does seem like its the same favorites every year, but no so much this year. Should be interesting to see if SPSV , mission, or Logan can sustain and build off those successful years. I know all lost ALOT. I feel like the Sac schools are CLEARLY more top heavy than the bay more than any previous years. Im just so intrigued by the norcal playoff seeding thing. how are they rely gonna decide who teams 41-88 are to make up divsion 3-5.....lol if im a coach with an average team can we be team 41 or 57...gonna be crazy how they decide all that.

The NorCal idea I think is good in theory, but will be interesting to see how it plays out in real life. Totally agree with trying to seed teams in D3-5. The committee already struggled to seed right when it was pretty cut and dry.

Dublin is young and loaded with talent they will be good but Modesto Christian,Folsom
and salesian are probably the top 3 teams in norcal.I believe all these teams are in the Gridley
tournament should be a real solid tournament to get out to early in the season.

Reactions: EBALISBEAST
Here's the list for Gridley Invitational-
Salesian, Sheldon, Mitty, Woodcreek, Dublin, Folsom, Capitol Christian, Gridley.
Here's wishing you great hoops.

Reactions: EBALISBEAST
Agree 'bout the WCAL, the league is flat-out loaded. I'm planning on trying to make some games down there this season even though it's a bit of a run from Concord to the peninsula.

SJS, you guys are probably spot-on, too. I'd add Monterey Trail to that mix. Also, at least in the smaller-school ranks, Elliot Christian.
Kiddman, catch BART to Balboa Park Station when the SI Wildcats, Mitty Monarchs, Serra Padres and St. Francis Lancers visit the Crusader Forum this season.

Kiddman, catch BART to Balboa Park Station when the SI Wildcats, Mitty Monarchs, Serra Padres and St. Francis Lancers visit the Crusader Forum this season.

Sounds like a plan, depending on schedule conflicts and such...

Reactions: jordan24
A little more on St. Joe's... Last year's starting backcourt will be playing d1 ball this year, but they must think have something special coming in addition to the solid group of returnees...

They have a big-boy nonleague schedule lined up! It's highlighted by Folsom, O' Dowd, Sheldon, the Modesto Christian Holiday Hoops Classic, and the Jesuit tournament.

Sounds like a plan, depending on schedule conflicts and such...

Lots of good WCAL rivalry games to check out including Serra vs SI (great atmosphere whether attending in San Mateo or SI), "Holy War" with Bellarmine vs St Francis, and Riordan vs SI to name a few. Lastly, the SI vs SHC Bruce-Mahoney game is an exceptional environment although tickets are difficult to get as they sell-out week or so beforehand.

The Riordan gym restoration already is or will be completed this month so I am excited to go check it out. It's a cool place to catch a game especially when their high school band plays during the WCAL regular season.

The Riordan gym restoration already is or will be completed this month so I am excited to go check it out. It's a cool place to catch a game especially when their high school band plays during the WCAL regular season.

Unless they've decided to change it this year, the band was not playing at the home games last year. Was kinda disappointed. I'm an Alumni from the 90's and games were lit with a huge student section and band playing. Both were non-existent last season. Went to two games, and both were dry.

Does anybody know what schools are in the Riordan Tourney in November beside Berkeley, Righetti and Riordan?

Does anybody know what schools are in the Riordan Tourney in November beside Berkeley, Righetti and Riordan?

Detailed schedule is on the Riordanathletics.org but here are the first round match ups / brackets on Thursday Nov 30th:

Mills vs Mission

Righetti vs Berkeley

Half Moon Bay vs Sacred Heart Prep

Riordan vs El Camino

Unless they've decided to change it this year, the band was not playing at the home games last year. Was kinda disappointed. I'm an Alumni from the 90's and games were lit with a huge student section and band playing. Both were non-existent last season. Went to two games, and both were dry.

I know they weren't playing during non-WCAL games but thought they were playing the majority of the WCAL home games that I went to last year but maybe you're right.....

The band plays when they are available...Not sure if it was a weekend game, but the band performed at the Chinese New Year parade last year as well as several events that conflicted with some league games....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT