ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 NCS teams next season

bones40

Sports Fanatic
Apr 3, 2014
Figured I get it going who are going to be some of the top teams in NCS going
into next season I know Heritage and freedom should have strong teams next year
and Amador valley returns alot and should be solid as well.

Decided to geek out a little in MaxPreps and see what I can dig up... In addition to the teams mentioned above:

Salesian - only loses two seniors, 27-5 last year. Somewhere, they need to find a strong outside shooter or two.

Dublin - 29-5 last year, loses a big star and a couple important pieces to graduation, strong JV team may help.

St. Joe's - 30-2 last year, loses starting backcourt and a couple bench players, but they have Lippi on their side and some strong players sticking around.

Moreau - 25-10 state finalist last year, lose one superstar in Milstead but Walker's a stud, all other rotation players are back and their JV's were strong.

O'Dowd - 19-11 last year, and they're O'Dowd, darn near always strong. Don't know if their five seniors played much or not.

CN - 28-5 last year, but I have no idea how many of their seven seniors were starters, or rotaion, or bench guys.

Las Lomas (22-7) loses a couple stars, but that team was deep and strong, and I have heard about a transfer headed their way. Forget his name, but it's elsewhere on this forum...

Campo - 20-11 last year, lose their starting center and a couple other seniors, but frehmen Hunter Clarke and Carter Mahaney will become the leaders of a solid team.

I'll continue this later... Time for Jeopardy!

Decided to geek out a little in MaxPreps and see what I can dig up... In addition to the teams mentioned above:

Las Lomas (22-7) loses a couple stars, but that team was deep and strong, and I have heard about a transfer headed their way. Forget his name, but it's elsewhere on this forum...

Both of LL's star players, Prince & Payne, were just juniors last season. They should be more than solid next year even if they don't get a star transfer. If they do, look out!

Salesian - only loses two seniors, 27-5 last year. Somewhere, they need to find a strong outside shooter or two.

Dublin - 29-5 last year, loses a big star and a couple important pieces to graduation, strong JV team may help.

St. Joe's - 30-2 last year, loses starting backcourt and a couple bench players, but they have Lippi on their side and some strong players sticking around.

Moreau - 25-10 state finalist last year, lose one superstar in Milstead but Walker's a stud, all other rotation players are back and their JV's were strong.

O'Dowd - 19-11 last year, and they're O'Dowd, darn near always strong. Don't know if their five seniors played much or not.

CN - 28-5 last year, but I have no idea how many of their seven seniors were starters, or rotaion, or bench guys.

Campo - 20-11 last year, lose their starting center and a couple other seniors, but frehmen Hunter Clarke and Carter Mahaney will become the leaders of a solid team.

Nate Robinson transferring to LL

Kidman- Shame on you. How can you know list DLS? Sure they lose O'dea, Orr, and Udenyi but when has DLS not been in the mix in the past 20 years? Great JV and Fresh teams. They will be right back in the mix.

Newman loses 2 of there best players in Cody Baker and Damien Wallace. I want to say wallace both were 3 year starters so they guys will be hard to replace. They have some depth returning and a very good younger class coming up. Would like toe see them schedule a few better preseason games but who knows. They will be in the mix but I think Windsor and Monty could be better. They both return a lot of good players.

I think otherwise the list looks good.

Dela will be very good . Its DELA!!!
The studs from this year didn't have a lot of hype going into the season and all they did was go undefeated in league and beat SALESIAN in the playoffs.
Salesian is the most talented team in NCS next year with Odowd a close second. Not even close !
Las Lomas is right up there with 3 D1 prospects and a sharpshooter.

Togos, agree with you. DLS is the real deal. They have some size coming up. Kids 6"5-6"7 which they have lacked in the last few years. They will be long and very good.

Who are the 3 D1 players for LL? They lost to Montgomery last year in the norcal and Montgomery returns just about everybody.

Not surprised if walker bounces. Bummer for Moreau. Hope its a rumor. They would have been very good because they had a lot of nice players around arguably the best tandom in norcal last year.

Las Lomas has:
Prince 1st team
Payne (MVP of League)
ROBINSON transferring from Sacred Heart Cathedral

non-D1 HOLMAN -best long range shooter I've seen in awhile

Da

I agree Berkeley will be really good.

1. Salesian
2. Dublin
3. Las Lomas
4. DELA
5. ODOWD
6. Berkeley
7 Freedom
8 ???

Well, I did say I was cutting off my geekout session to go be a geek in front of the TV watching Jeopardy...

Anyway, my list was just some thoughts with no order to it. Just hadn't gotten to DLS yet. They will find a way to be pretty good, but I find it hard to believe they won't drop off some after losing Udenyi, O'Dea and Orr. I saw their JV's and freshmen quite a bit last year, and I thought they were both good but not great for the level. Hope I'm wrong, cuz after all, DLS is one of my home teams...

Yeah, I hadn't gotten to Berzerkely yet... I only saw them really early in the season last year, and they weren't all that good yet and maybe they got better as the season went on, but they did end up 13-14. Lost six seniors, but I didn't know four starters returned. So... Maybe.

Branson improved a good bit last year (20-9) after the return of coach Honick, and they only lose one senior (tho he was their captain). Watch out for these guys...

My alma mater Berean Christian surprised me a LOT last year by going 19-8 (reallly weak schedule, but still... Baby steps!). This was the first time they haven't been unwatchable since I moved back here in late 2012. Almost all their best players were sophs, too. And their JV won 18 games. Not exactly a title contender or anything, not even in D5 where they are safe from St. Joe's and Branson, but they should have some fun next year.

Well, I did say I was cutting off my geekout session to go be a geek in front of the TV watching Jeopardy...

Anyway, my list was just some thoughts with no order to it. Just hadn't gotten to DLS yet. They will find a way to be pretty good, but I find it hard to believe they won't drop off some after losing Udenyi, O'Dea and Orr. I saw their JV's and freshmen quite a bit last year, and I thought they were both good but not great for the level. Hope I'm wrong, cuz after all, DLS is one of my home teams...

Yeah, I hadn't gotten to Berzerkely yet... I only saw them really early in the season last year, and they weren't all that good yet and maybe they got better as the season went on, but they did end up 13-14. Lost six seniors, but I didn't know four starters returned. So... Maybe.

Branson improved a good bit last year (20-9) after the return of coach Honick, and they only lose one senior (tho he was their captain). Watch out for these guys...

My alma mater Berean Christian surprised me a LOT last year by going 19-8 (reallly weak schedule, but still... Baby steps!). This was the first time they haven't been unwatchable since I moved back here in late 2012. Almost all their best players were sophs, too. And their JV won 18 games. Not exactly a title contender or anything, not even in D5 where they are safe from St. Joe's and Branson, but they should have some fun next year.
Berkeley had a new coach, one freshman starting and one that sat out. The second time they lost to O Dowd the score was 84-82. They should be better next year.
I hear Salesian may have a transfer or 2 to El Cerrito. The old Sacred Heart coach is now at Mt.Eden

@togos 3 D1 players at Las Lomas? Do you know what a division one player is? If you do then you know they don't even have one. Nate might be the closest one and he hasn't gotten better in 2 years. All those kids are division 2 players at best. NCS will be down next year. Salesian wins open easily. Division 1 will be pretty much the same as last year De La Salle, Dublin, Herritage, James Logan, Berkeley, Freedom, Castro Valley, Mt Eden, Monte Vista

Reactions: drmarkppd
Forgot about that close one with O'Dowd... They must have indeed improved.

Rob prince from Las lomas is a damn good point gaurd very heady plays
with a nice change of pace can knock it down from deep and distributes
I would take him on over some of these over hyped up ranked gaurds with no
clue how to run a point.

@bones40 who would you take him over? Don't beat around the bush. And it doesn't matter who you would take. It matters who these colleges are offering.

you seem to be a little better. Prince is getting recruited by D1 players. THat means he has the talent to be on a the D1 radar. I'm not sure if he will be a D1 player but he is solid.
LL has at least 3 D2 players

Let me say this there are 2 point gaurds that I enjoy watching more then others james
Akinjo from salesian and Rob prince. James in my opinion is the best pure point
in the 2018 class from this area plays with toughness on both ends and
will not back down from anyone and moneyteam 0115 you are correct it doesn't
matter who I would take I was just merely giving my opinion which is what we all
do on this board. Rob is solid as well plays the right way whether it's D1 or D2
I am sure he will be afforded an opportunity to play at the next level.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoneyTeam0115
@togos I am def not BITTER!!! And I doubt he's getting recruited by division 1 PLAYERS!!! Maybe getting letters like every Bay Area player. I just wish we were more real wit our kids. i wish the best for that kid. I think he's a flat out baller. High division 2 player.

I questioned the 3 D1 kids as well. That happens in a blue moon in Norcal and it doesn't happen at LL HS. Prince and Payne will play in college most likely very high D2. But lets not get carried away.... Akinjo is by far the best guard in norcal.

The gaurd at dublin beasley with that stroke is going to be the next in line
he is going to be a high d1 major recruit for sure. He has some things to work
on being as young as he is but he shoots it better and deeper than
most of these gaurds right now his upside will be fun to watch.

The gaurd at dublin beasley with that stroke is going to be the next in line
he is going to be a high d1 major recruit for sure. He has some things to work
on being as young as he is but he shoots it better and deeper than
most of these gaurds right now his upside will be fun to watch.
Size will be a factor for him. I can see him in the 2nd half of the Pac 12.. UCLA, Arizona, USC, Oregon,(until Romar left Washington) you have to be at that 6'2 range

Nsbasketball he is a freshmen I don't believe size is going to be an issue i
heard dad played football at clemson if the genes are good he will be
okay in that department his game is legit.

@bones40 @NSBasketball I guess I'm a tough critic. You guys give out a lot of hype and credit man. Let these KIDS prove theirselves and stay hungry and humble. Most of the kids problems is that they have people giving them false and bad information. Beasley is a very good highschool freshman basketball player. But until he gets those PAC 12 offers. Don't give this kid bad information.

Moneyteam0115 who is giving anybody bad information? This is an opinionated
board and that is what everyone does i stated in my opinion that the beasley kid
is legit for a freshmen am I wrong? Now I gave james his props in a previous
post that he is the best pure point you 'liked ' that post and now because I
am saying beasley is the next up and coming gaurd I am giving out
to much hype and credit really. I have no dog in the fight I just enjoy watching
good young talent and that beasley kid is a damn good young talent to
watch and keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
Yes, his dad did play at Clemson and hes being looked at by the school. When was the last time a Bay Area kid landed in the ACC?

@bones40 its all opinion based. I guess I'm old school man. Don't mean any disrespect. I don't have a dog in the fight either. Just think now days kids are spoiled and don't want to work hard for things any more. They have social media, YouTube, and their own people in their ear. I wish the best for that kid. He is a for sure baller. Lots of talent. I just remember growing up you had to earn props and even then people didn't give it out because they wanted to you stay hungry and humble. But again no disrespect

I saw him drop 20 in the 2nd half on the best defensive team (dela) in a championship game
and two weeks later salesian as a team scored 31 FOR THE GAME. My eyes told
me there is a pretty good chance he will play at a high level in college with
further improvement and development. It's all good moneyteam the whole
point is there is enough food on the table for all these kids to eat and
get that college education paid for.

Nsbasketball he is a freshmen I don't believe size is going to be an issue i
heard dad played football at clemson if the genes are good he will be
okay in that department his game is legit.
If he gets tall, he will go high major. As for 6'1 right now, that may be a stretch.

If he gets tall, he will go high major. As for 6'1 right now, that may be a stretch.

How tall is Frank Mason? how about Tyus Jones, Charlie Moore? plenty of success at 6 and under at high D1; in fact, most rosters are loaded with guards under 6'2. But, again, the kid is 14; calm down.

@bones40 so you're basing him going high major off one half? I'm just saying we had some very good guards this year in NorCal and none of them went high major. Damari Milstead, Souley Boom, Joey Calcatera, Jade Smith, Timmy Falls all went mid major. Just saying for us to be saying a 14 year old kid is a high major I just can't understand. Now If he was 6'5-6'10 that's more understandable

Beasley will be a D1 player. Level to TBA. I would guess ACC is a real possibility. He will be 6'2 and top guards in the nation. Just a prediction

Since when is 6'1 as a 14 year old freshman not good size? Most kids end up growing thru at least JR year in HS. I'm with you guys I don't see that as an issue at all. I was 5"8 as a fresh and I'm 6"3 now. I'm betting he's 6"3+ by Jr year and will have double digits in offers. The kid can flat out ball. I mean flat out!

Since when is 6'1 as a 14 year old freshman not good size? Most kids end up growing thru at least JR year in HS. I'm with you guys I don't see that as an issue at all. I was 5"8 as a fresh and I'm 6"3 now. I'm betting he's 6"3+ by Jr year and will have double digits in offers. The kid can flat out ball. I mean flat out!
LL33.. I was trying my best not a say anything negative because the kid is a special talent. But trust me, I was on the court for 8 games with that team, if your a legit 6'3, go stand next to the kid. You will then be 6'6. He may end up being 6'5, but right now, 5'11 with shoes on and that generous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT