ADVERTISEMENT

Top NorCal teams

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
So what are the top teams this spring? Mitty, of course, is loaded, and clearly No. 1, I think, but I'm certainly open to suggestion.

So what are the top teams this spring? Mitty, of course, is loaded, and clearly No. 1, I think, but I'm certainly open to suggestion.
I'm assuming it's the same thing...

First Tier
Mitty
Pinewood
Salesian
BOD
Carondelet (how good is still unknown)
*St. Mary's Stockton (how many kids stayed and will the new coach bring the heat like Gonslaves?)

Second tier
Antelope
St. Joes
San Leandro
Menlo
Sacred Heart Prep
Del Oro
Heritage (is Rob coaching-heard he stepped down)
SHC

Could be interesting to see, but how good will Riordan be with new coach and girls program.

Mitty is overloaded. Finding playing time for everyone will be a problem (but a happy one).

Pinewood returns everyone, plus added Elle Ladine, so they should afford some competition.

Palo Alto should be fun to watch with a great guard combination (thanks to the return of Shah).

A lot of the top teams have already been mentioned. I would move Antelope up to tier one

Some more teams to watch are Lincoln-Stockton, Valley Christian, San Ramon Valley.

Still working on our list so this is loosely held, but it looks like Mitty, then a drop down to Pinewood, then a big drop to the rest of the region

A lot of the top teams have already been mentioned. I would move Antelope up to tier one

Some more teams to watch are Lincoln-Stockton, Valley Christian, San Ramon Valley.

Still working on our list so this is loosely held, but it looks like Mitty, then a drop down to Pinewood, then a big drop to the rest of the region
San Leandro, Oakland Tech

I am curious to see how SRV looks this year. No seniors, a talented junior class, unproven sophomores (Walpole has moved out of state). And after four years of relying heavily on Gerhart at point it's unclear how well they will handle the ball. Nebres and others will have to really step up.

Reactions: Streak One
Occurs to me that Lynbrook should be very good. They qualified for Open last year, and return essentially everyone (and in particular Maison Yee and Lydian Li)

If all of Capuchino's kids return as expected, they will cause problems among CCS public schools. By any measure, this should be the best team ever at the San Bruno school.

Reactions: Caphoops
I'm assuming it's the same thing...

First Tier
Mitty
Pinewood
Salesian
BOD
Carondelet (how good is still unknown)
*St. Mary's Stockton (how many kids stayed and will the new coach bring the heat like Gonslaves?)

Second tier
Antelope
St. Joes
San Leandro
Menlo
Sacred Heart Prep
Del Oro
Heritage (is Rob coaching-heard he stepped down)
SHC

Could be interesting to see, but how good will Riordan be with new coach and girls program.
Placing the Riordan girls in a WCAL varsity division with the likes of Mitty, SHC, SI, Presentation, VC and SF is a huge disservice to those kids. Unless drastic steps are taken to limit the damage, this could get very ugly very fast.

Reactions: TheHillZ
Placing the Riordan girls in a WCAL varsity division with the likes of Mitty, SHC, SI, Presentation, VC and SF is a huge disservice to those kids. Unless drastic steps are taken to limit the damage, this could get very ugly very fast.
Covid sucks...

Just heard that the St. Mary's Berkeley administration has decided against having any basketball at all. That's a shame for Chris Toler and his seniors because SMB was going to be pretty good.

As I recall, SHC and SI were not immediate powerhouses when they became coed. The coaching and club ball relationships are in place. Having a COVID-shortened season also has the Crusaders just playing WCAL mates SHC and SI this season. Give it some time as the incoming frosh and overall program goes thru its four years...

Many parents should hold their kids out until the whole team has a vaccine and then only play teams that are fully Vaccinated

Many parents should hold their kids out until the whole team has a vaccine and then only play teams that are fully Vaccinated
Or... and hear me out... we allow parents and kids to make their own decisions based on the options given to them. What a novel idea.

I think that you should hold off from watching the live streams if not everyone is vaccinated. Maybe it'll be a few years until we hear from you... one can dream

Nope...this is different...like nothing we ever had to deal with....I have been interviewing for a new job....I have been vaccinated and will only take a new job where everyone is vaccinated....No takers yet... top line on my resume....

Fully Vaccinated Functional Movement Personal Trainer interested in Fully Vaccinated Coporation

Nope...this is different...like nothing we ever had to deal with....I have been interviewing for a new job....I have been vaccinated and will only take a new job where everyone is vaccinated....No takers yet... top line on my resume....

Fully Vaccinated Functional Movement Personal Trainer interested in Fully Vaccinated Coporation
You are a certified personal loser

Yo...This is your choice. This is why we live in America so we all can have our own choice. You cannot force people to do what you are asking...We will never have progress if we wait for your plan to be implemented!

No surprise that you're unemployed... again...

Helluva of a game. SMS got the long ball going late and Mitty couldn't make a shot late. Great game all around. Would be nice for the potential to see them meet again in Norcal but it probably too late to have the normal state tournament. Hats off to both teams.

Great game to watch! SMS is goooooood

SMC is not that good. They're just athletic as hell! They don't run anything and it seemed like a lot of iso 1v1. probably not too much time to put anything in for new coach. But they played hard. They'll win on athletic players alone. great first game to watch though

Definitely a surprise ... and Mitty was up double digits early. We all knew this would be an interesting season, in many ways, but it just got more interesting.

SMC is not that good. They're just athletic as hell! They don't run anything and it seemed like a lot of iso 1v1. probably not too much time to put anything in for new coach. But they played hard. They'll win on athletic players alone. great first game to watch though
Fair.. SMS players are goooood... how about that?

They shot it well in the second half, outrebounded a bigger team, and got stops when they needed to.. Iso ball or not, they beat a good team and had to be good to do it. So maybe they are not that good.. I haven't seen enough other norcal teams this year to speculate. But if they are not that good, then neither is Mitty, and norcal must be loaded...

Fair.. SMS players are goooood... how about that?

They shot it well in the second half, outrebounded a bigger team, and got stops when they needed to.. Iso ball or not, they beat a good team and had to be good to do it. So maybe they are not that good.. I haven't seen enough other norcal teams this year to speculate. But if they are not that good, then neither is Mitty, and norcal must be loaded...

good points. I get it. winning means teams are good in a lot of peoples minds. To me a team can win and be more athletic, but that doesn't mean they're good in the execution of offense and defense..it just means they have better players. If you watch the game, Mitty tries to run different things on offense, have some sort of motion...SMS just plays ISO and 1v1. It's effective cause they got the result.

Reactions: OnBall8
And Mitty doesn’t have good players? I thought they were loaded? Early in the season- but impressive win for the Bulldogs on the road.

That game was going south for SMS in the first half. Mitty was getting what it wanted on offense, and SMS was struggling with turnovers. Great adjustments by Coach Moreno.

Still, it didn't hurt that Mitty couldn't hit a shot in the 4th, while SMS hit everything.

That game was going south for SMS in the first half. Mitty was getting what it wanted on offense, and SMS was struggling with turnovers. Great adjustments by Coach Moreno.

Still, it didn't hurt that Mitty couldn't hit a shot in the 4th, while SMS hit everything.
is making adjustments part of coaching?

Reactions: OnBall8
Anyone saying St Marys isn't good doesn't understand basketball. The same Notre Dame college basketball team that won the Chip with Arike Ogunbowale played exactly the same way. I think a coach plays to the strength of the players not the other way around. St Marys got hot late and Mitty went ice cold in the 4th. Great game by two strong teams.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT