ADVERTISEMENT

Two Bay Area Coaches step down

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
In continuing the trend of high coaching turnover, Andrew Cotter (Freedom) and Matt Russi (Monte Vista) have stepped down

My .02, I do think the pay needs to increase if you want teachers w/character to get back into the game. HSFB is a grind. I know as coaches we work as hard as any college or pros and get pennies for it. At the same time, we have accepted the pay for years.
No easy answers, hope for the best with youth and HSFB.

Its not a full time job and everyone knows that. If youre in a lucky position be well off and have a sports program that has sponsorships/wealthy donors that can pay the coach/assistant coaches more that what the school can pay, hats off to those programs.

HSFB is a full time job for the programs and coaches that bust their butts. Late night calls, picking up and dropping off, feeding, tutoring, 6am workouts bc you don't have weight classes, paying for online course so your kids get ahead, getting grocery stores to donate bc you have multiple families that don't have food daily.....I can keep going, but if you care, its way more than a full time job.

HSFB is a full time job for the programs and coaches that bust their butts. Late night calls, picking up and dropping off, feeding, tutoring, 6am workouts bc you don't have weight classes, paying for online course so your kids get ahead, getting grocery stores to donate bc you have multiple families that don't have food daily.....I can keep going, but if you care, its way more than a full time job.

and the 10-15% of parents that suck (and they are in every program) make it nearly impossible to coach. Your kid sucks. Nobody wants to believe it. But parents have ruined a lot with how hovering and involved they are. I don’t blame any coach for stepping down. It’s def a full time job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT