ADVERTISEMENT

Unrealistic NCS proposal

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
The North Coast Section not only does not have its own Open Division bracket during sectional competition, it has made sure that it does not replicate the WCAL within its jurisdiction. So let's dream for a moment. Here is a possible ECAL for your close consideration and studied edification: Moreau, O'Dowd, St. Joseph-Notre Dame, St. Mary's-Berkeley, Salesian, Marin Catholic and Carondelet. Adding Cardinal Newman in Santa Rosa might be a stretch. But, hey, why not? Make it eight. Nice even number. Would this be, by far, the strongest girls' league in NCS? You bet your sweet bippy it would. Is it going to happen? Will most of the NCS Catholics be quarantined in one league? Uh, no. The chance of that happening is about as strong as Donald Trump endorsing Libby Schaaf's re-election bid.

Carondelet would be a perfect candidate for the WCAL if it weren't a logistical problem of distance/traffic. They have already basically been asked to leave their public school league (at least in bball right?).. and the bottom of the WCAL has dropped off.. SHP and NDB both got tired of losing I guess.. Would make for some great matchups, and not just in bball

Sounds to much like fair & logical competitive equity to ever happen. League games on Wednesday & Saturday to make the travel easier. Public schools compete for league titles vs schools with similar enrollment/boundary restrictions.

Sounds to much like fair & logical competitive equity to ever happen. League games on Wednesday & Saturday to make the travel easier. Public schools compete for league titles vs schools with similar enrollment/boundary restrictions.

Yes. Competitive equity. The new CIF buzz phrase. Hello, NCS, are you listening?

COLHENRY your the best!!!

You flatter me, young man (woman). My life partner has never come close to uttering such a statement. Of course, she lacks a proper defensive stance and, to my knowledge, has never really focused on taking away baseline.

My guess is that the decision makers in the NCS see how quarantining the privates magnified the difference in talent between the haves and have-nots in the CCS over the past 15 years.

The problem with such proposals is that there are many more sports than just basketball, and leagues are organized for all interscholastic sports. If it were just basketball, the cost and inconvenience of travel (kids leaving school at 1 p.m., for example) might be justified, but you have to do it in tennis, golf, cross country and every other sport.

And let's take SJND, which dominates the BCL-East in girls' basketball, but for example, its girls' soccer team was 3-10-1 in a not-that-strong league. Its boys' volleyball team was 5-8 last year, and so on. To expect them to compete with Carondelet, which has at least twice the enrollment and a brand-new off-campus practice facility, is simply unrealistic.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT