ADVERTISEMENT

VC same

togos

Sports Fanatic
Feb 16, 2014
VC does have the same San Jose "B" an "C" teams on their schedule except for Leigh ("A" league) but they don't have a state championship and VC isn't driving an hour to play these teams. VC hasn't had any success in the WCAL since 2004 when they won the league with Cotton. I can see VC padding the schedule but not their not the powerhouse of SHC has been.

I dont believe VC cares about any other boys sports except football and baseball. Their basketball team historically is equivalent to SH's football team historically.

Reactions: GOTF
VC does have the same San Jose "B" an "C" teams on their schedule except for Leigh ("A" league) but they don't have a state championship and VC isn't driving an hour to play these teams. VC hasn't had any success in the WCAL since 2004 when they won the league with Cotton. I can see VC padding the schedule but not their not the powerhouse of SHC has been.

Delucca schedules cupcakes everywhere he coaches! Look it up.

And somehow wins league titles. There are many ways to skin a cat. I'm no fan of the cupcake schedule but there are MANY programs that historically do the same. It all comes out in the wash as they say. VC will be better than past years in league.

And somehow wins league titles. There are many ways to skin a cat. I'm no fan of the cupcake schedule but there are MANY programs that historically do the same. It all comes out in the wash as they say. VC will be better than past years in league.
Valley was scary last year. And I’m still scared lol

They have talent over there

Valley has one of the more athletically talented big guys in norcal. I'm surprised people don't talk about him more. It's very quiet on him for a 6'8 guy that posterizes people.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Valley has one of the more athletically talented big guys in norcal. I'm surprised people don't talk about him more. It's very quiet on him for a 6'8 guy that posterizes people.
Play a more competitive schedule and there would be more buzz about this talented big man. Easy to swat shots against 1-7 teams. Play teams / tourneys that have players the same size / talent and you will get noticed. I am impressed tho with this VC squad.

VC could beat Riordan and SHC in league . VC should get 4 wins again in league . That would be impressive in WAL and big man can score. VC will be competitive in league. Summer is completely different from regular season as far as scouting and the intensity level. VC looked unbeatable during summer and beat up Mitty in a summer league game.

SI with all the injuries .
Serra, Bells, Mitty, SF will be tough games.

Serra 5-2 with good wins over ?

SHC 9-1 with almost the same schedule type as VC. Their loss is to a SJND team trying to find itself.

Riordan 9-1 with good wins over ?

SF 6-2 with a good loss to MC? At least they have some decent teams they've played

SI 6-3 with a woeful loss to a sub-par Vanden team who looks nothing like last year

Belles 5-4 with a schedule that's tough to decifer due without more research than I care to do at the moment

Mitty 1-8 with a solid win over Gridley by 15

Can we please stop giving the WCAL a pass? VC doesn't have a significantly worse schedule than the other schools. Only Mitty has played a legit schedule but they can't beat a good team. This is a conference filled with B- teams. VC is as big and athletic as any team there and have a coach who has won everywhere he's been. The whole league may have 6 wins but it's not because it will be a grind; it will be because they are slightly above average teams playing other slightly above average teams.

PS. My money is on Belles and SF and predict VC will fight for 3rd. They don't have enough experience on the floor to win league.

Strong takes, UC Chief... and even though I was one of the many on here trumpeting how great the WCAL was gonna be this year, I don’t think the league is living up to the hype, either. Certainly not a bad league, but it ain’t exactly the super league many of us thought was coming.

just to clarify.

WCAL is still a very good league as a whole. The fact that all of the teams are average -good mandates that it is better than most other leagues.

I was attempting to make the case for VC because so many noticed the soft scheduling which has historically been a legitimate knock on Coach DeLuca. My intent was to show that most of the games played by the WCAL have been against lower tier teams and to single out VC is short-sighted. Regardless, I will definitely be at these games. Even if the teams are down, I love the grind-it-out style played by the league. I wish more Reffeeing associations allowed the kids to play like the peninsula does.

Reactions: Rmbr26
Riordan 9-1 with good wins over ?

PS. My money is on Belles and SF and predict VC will fight for 3rd. They don't have enough experience on the floor to win league.
Crusader notable wins are against HMB, Berkeley (29 pt blowout) and Acalanes. Lone road loss against University who is one of Norcal's best in D5 and ranked #5 in NCS. Berkeley is #7 in NCS - with wins vs Dublin and Jesuit. Acalanes is #15 beating Campo. Not too shabby finishing 9-1 in non league and (JVs, Frosh A/B) played against large and small enrollment schools /competitive tourneys that have winning records which should provide good position come CCS play.
My revised predicted order of finish based on health of teams:
Bells
SF
SI
Mitty
Serra
Riordan
VC
SHC

DLS JV Tourney Results
Consolation Title Game: Riordan 65 Jesuit 40 - Crusader Frosh Darnay McPherson lead scoring w/ 17 points

Purple and Gold B Title Game
Bells 52 Riordan 44

Purple and Gold A Title Game
Riordan 64. Serra 54 DOT!

It begins Jan 2nd! Should be a fun year!

Last edited:
VC could win the league . They are 12-0 and beat some solid san jose schools.
They have the best big man in the league. Low D-1 prospect.
SURPISE TEAM!!

SURPISE TEAM!!
The Warriors certainly look good on paper and could be a dark horse contender. Balanced competition from top to bottom this season.

Last edited:
Crusader notable wins are against HMB, Berkeley (29 pt blowout) and Acalanes. Lone road loss against University who is one of Norcal's best in D5 and ranked #5 in NCS. Berkeley is #7 in NCS - with wins vs Dublin and Jesuit. Acalanes is #15 beating Campo. Not too shabby finishing 9-1 in non league and (JVs, Frosh A/B) played against large and small enrollment schools /competitive tourneys that have winning records which should provide good position come CCS play.
My revised predicted order of finish based on health of teams:
Bells
SF
SI
Mitty
Serra
Riordan
VC
SHC

DLS JV Tourney Results
Consolation Title Game: Riordan 65 Jesuit 40 - Crusader Frosh Darnay McPherson lead scoring w/ 17 points

Purple and Gold B Title Game
Bells 52 Riordan 44

Purple and Gold A Title Game
Riordan 64. Serra 54 DOT!

It begins Jan 2nd! Should be a fun year!
I think it will be too. I remember when we thought we should sit this season out.

Reactions: jordan24
I like VC a lot. I don't think their guard play will allow an actual league title run as they do not have enough depth of experience there. I like the first few guys though. I do think a 7-7 record is not out of the realm of possibility. Time will tell. WCAL will be fun to watch.

Archbishop Mitty (2-8) Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Gridley (9-4) National Rank 3449
Lost to 4 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Dublin, Folsom, Ferris {WA}, & Santa Margarita]
Opponents won 81 games and lost 47 games.

Bellarmine (8-2) 2nd Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Brentwood (Los Angeles) (8-2) National Rank 240
Played 4 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Sequoia, Franklin {WA}, Brentwood, & St. Anthony], lost 2 games
Opponents won 71 games and lost 43 games.

Archbishop Riordan (9-1) 3rd Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Acalanes (11-4) National Rank 556
Played 3 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Lick-Wilmerding, Acalanes, & University], lost 1 game
Opponents won 78 games and lost 46 games.

Saint Francis (8-2) 4th Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Palma (6-4) National Rank 2429
Lost to 2 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Modesto Christian & Brophy Prep {AZ}]
Opponents won 68 games and lost 47 games.

Saint Ignatius (7-3) 5th Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Loyola (8-3) National Rank 892
Played 3 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Loyola, Dallas Jesuit {TX} & Las Lomas], lost 2 games
Opponents won 64 games and lost 61 games.

Serra (8-2) 6th Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Heritage (12-2) National Rank 120
Played 4 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Regis Jesuit {CO}, Sequoia, University, & Heritage], lost 2 games
Opponents won 56 games and lost 62 games.

Valley Christian (9-0) 7th Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Palma (6-4) National Rank 2429
Played no teams with National Ranks below 1000
Opponents won 36 games and lost 57 games.

VC Has a Non-League Game scheduled on January 15th, vs. Oak Park, who is National Ranked at 326. This game is not part of the schedule strength until the game is played.

Sacred Heart Cathedral (9-1) 8th Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: James Logan (7-4) National Rank 478
Played 1 team with a National Rank below 1000 [James Logan]
Opponents won 51 games and lost 57 games.

Last edited:
SURPISE TEAM!!
Don't think VC will be contending for the title this season. Nothing wrong with that. Tovar struggled against shorter, but long, physical, quick and athletic Crusader 6-3 forwards. The Warrior guard play showed no perimeter Game whatsoever. WCAL level of play a whole different level of play vs cupcakes.

Reactions: nostancenochance
They also lost a 6'6" starting wing. Arguably their most important player. They will be fine once they rebuild continuity. I agree though. They won't contend but would've and still could be top half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT