ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

Review of WCAL Teams 2016 Season:

Sacred Heart Cathedral “SHC” Irish ended the season as the WCAL’s 7th ranked team out of 8. While the saying goes “The Luck of the Irish” we also know there is a saying that goes “If not for bad luck, they’d have no luck at all”. Now this is not to say the Irish are cursed in football, but merely challenged it seems by circumstances the last several seasons. We have 3 schools of SHC, Riordan & S.I. within a rather smaller theater in S.F. all sharing football talent and somewhat therefore diluting the pool of available players. To say that the schools attract equally is not accurate as well as they seem to attract from different pools so to speak [with S.I. attracting more affluent students from throughout the peninsula and specifically the mid-peninsula where some parents prefer S.I. to Serra [ie: the Hillsborough crowd who also to extent may defer to St. Francis or Bellarmine]. It seems unless I’m mistaken that Riordan & SHC share one segment of talent while S.I. pulls from a different demographic. So the name of the game for SHC as it is for Riordan is roster numbers. SHC has had enough players for most schools, but then again this is the WCAL against a higher level of competition and a few injuries can play havoc against a smaller roster. Injuries have plagued the Irish for several seasons and having some quality back-ups can prove critical. In 2016 the Irish finished at 2-8 with a pre-season win in the opening game and a lone WCAL league win over cross town rival Riordan. So will the Irish be any better for 2017? I’ll examine that upcoming and give you a good idea. Here’s the recap of the Irish 2016 season:

2016 Game 1 – The Irish muster a 27-14 season opening win over Terra Nova to give the fans some hope for the new season.

Game 2 in what looked to be a winnable game for the Irish ends in a disappointing 26-13 loss to Justin-Siena.

Game 3 is a brutal wake up call as public power Menlo-Atherton coming off a 12-3 season previous shuts out the Irish 49-0.

Game 4 is a near replay of the previous week in which Mitty rolls 41-0 in another shut-out.

Game 5 The Irish score their first TD in 3 games in losing 41-7 to Serra.

Game 6 The Irish again score a lone TD in losing to the Bell’s 48-7.

Game 7 SHC takes out some frustration in scoring 33 points [a season high] in crushing Riordan by 33-7.

Game 8 The Irish return to reality in being handed a 35-7 loss by St. Francis.

Game 9 SHC is able to put up 21 points in a 42-21 loss to St. Ignatius.

Game 10 VC in business-like fashion dispatches SHC 34-8 and the season mercifully comes to an end.

Conclusion: The only conclusion we can come to is it is best to forget last season and move on hoping the 2017 season brings some optimism and hope in the form of new players and a new game plan. The Irish on average lost by 3 -TD;s per game for the season and the only reason that stat isn’t worse is the 33-points scored against last place and winless in league Riordan. SHC scored on average 12-points per game while giving up 33. SHC was shut-out twice and scored a single TD in 5 games [so scored a total of 36 points in 7 games]. For 2017 the SHC Irish need 3 wins for an improvement over 2016. They have some starters returning which is positive and it will take an impressive game plan by the coaches to get them the likely 1 pre-season win, a possible win vs Riordan and maybe, just maybe a 2nd pre-season win. Anything beyond 1 WCAL league win would be huge and certainly show a step in the right direction.

Next Up: Riordan Crusader’s

For pre-season, SHC should beat Fernley from Nevada based on their ranking and Justin-Siena visits SHC the week after. Irish JV's beat them last year 28-7. Irish will visit Homestead and they should be SHC's strongest pre-season opponent.
These Seniors and Juniors came off 6-3 frosh seasons but I hope the roster size is better than what MaxPreps shows. As for the offense, I'm sure we'll see more of the Spread offense again this season. Coach Barry McLaughlin is very enthusiastic and posts a lot on Twitter.
Oh, and a "possible" win over Riordan? Irish will dispense with both Riordan and the S.I. Litterboxers.

Last edited:
For pre-season, SHC should beat Fernley from Nevada based on their ranking and Justin-Siena visits SHC the week after. Irish JV's beat them last year 28-7. Irish will visit Homestead and they should be SHC's strtongest pre-season opponent.
These Seniors and Juniors came off 6-3 frosh seasons but I hope the roster size is better than what MaxPreps shows. As for the offense, I'm sure we'll see more of the Spread offense again this season. Coach Barry McLaughlin is very enthusiastic and posts a lot on Twitter.

Irish__Cheers - you are not nearly as superstitious as myself as simply the words "SHC should beat Fernley from Nevada" sends a shiver down my spine. I believe the same words were uttered just prior to last season by fans about SHC beating Justin Siena & at the very least it was predicted to be a "winnable game".

This may sound crazy, but my philosophy for a team in SHC's position is that "YOU SHC ARE THE UNDERDOG IN EVERY GAME YOU PLAY". Until a SHC team can record consecutive wins, score more than 1-TD in 1/2 its games and have anything close to a winning record then "NO", there is no such thing as "should beat" in the Irish vocabulary.
As the Godfather would say Irish "You Capisce Mio Mico?" [translation: You understand my friend?].

Yes! Darnit! S.H.C. will WIN their first two games at least!! You heard it here first! They will score 28 points against mighty Fernley and 40 points against our sister school from beautiful Napa. I guarantee it! Go [insert intensifier here] Irish!

Last edited:
Yes! Darnit! S.H.C. will WIN their first two games!! You heard it here first! They will score 28 points against mighty Fernley and 40 points against our sister school from beautiful Napa. I guarantee it! Go [insert intensifier here] Irish!
You also said they were gonna beat Justin Siena last year lol

You also said they were gonna beat Justin Siena last year lol
Ha! We'll see who has the last "LOL" this time! The Fighting Irish will reign supreme over the grape-stompin' Braves. BTW, R-26 agreed. 2016 was over by game 2 with all those injuries, so the statistical comparison with Riordan is deceiving. As for VC, they took it easy after SHC suspended literally half their team for disciplinary reasons.

Last edited:
Karnak the Magnificent sees four wins for the Irish in 2017. On late-night TV, he was rarely incorrect.

Ha! We'll see who has the last "LOL" this time! The Fighting Irish will reign supreme over the grape-stompin' Braves.

Carnac the Magnificent
"Oh Wise-One Irish_Cheers, I foresee the SHC Irish as having an offense that will confound, confuse & perplex mighty Fernley with an onslaught of TD's and an Irish defense as tough as Spam that will intimidate, frustrate and demoralize Justin-Siena into submission by 1/2 time."
Carnac also see's Irish fans consumption of Guinness hitting an all time high this season.."

Carnac the Magnificent
"Oh Wise-One Irish_Cheers, I foresee the SHC Irish as having an offense that will confound, confuse & perplex mighty Fernley with an onslaught of TD's and an Irish defense as tough as Spam that will intimidate, frustrate and demoralize Justin-Siena into submission by 1/2 time."
Carnac also see's Irish fans consumption of Guinness hitting an all time high this season.."
Kezar Pub is right across the street.

kezar-pub.jpg

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

The Riordan Crusader’s come in at the 8th & final spot in the 8-team WCAL league for 2016 finishing 0-7 in league play and 2-8 overall. 2016 was a sobering season for Riordan fans after an upstart season in 2015 when Riordan had some of the most exciting players in the league and went 9-4 all the way to the Open Div III Championship. 2016 was more a step back to resuming play from 2013-14 it seemed.

What is troublesome for the future is that the JV and Frosh also went 0-7 in league play in 2016 giving the school an 0-21 record for the 2016 football season. It almost seems like this would be difficult to do at most of the schools if you think about it – there are 11 players on each team on the field at any given time and Frosh, JV & varsity represent 3 different spectrums/team levels in age and athletes, yet Riordan tried 21 times and failed 21times, a conundrum to put it mildly. Simple logic would appear to point to a complete overhaul rather than trying to improve upon what was attempted and failed last season at all 3 levels.

There was very little that separated the bottom 2 teams SHC & Riordan. I looked at their offense production and points allowed by defense and they are very close: SHC scored 97 points for the season and Riordan scored 125. On defense SHC allowed 355 points while Riordan allowed 352. Of the 2 teams Riordan had the slightly better offense against common opponents yet still lost to the Irish by 33-7. Other than against each other Riordan’s closest WCAL game was a 21-7 loss to S.I. while SHC lost to S.I. by 42-21. So there is little gap between the 2 teams and they could easily swap places in 2017 unless one can overtake S.I.

Game 1 season opener looked good at the start with Riordan scoring immediately and looking good. That lasted through most of the 1rst quarter before the Crusader’s started shooting themselves in the foot with mistakes on both sides of the ball, allowing a mediocre Hillsdale team to overtake them 21-12.

Game 2 Riordan is able to pile it on against a depleted SHP team that is a shadow of its former season team. A victory no less for Riordan at 19-3.

Game 3 is an entertaining shoot-out ending Riordan 45-39 over St. Mary’s Berkeley.

Game 4 is a sobering wake-up call that league play has started with St. Francis rolling over Riordan in a 37-0 shut-out.

Game 5 Has Riordan giving a good effort, but simply outplayed by S.I. 21-7 who does just enough to win

Game 6 is a lackluster 38- loss to Valley Christian.

Game 7 was the game against SHC that was a MUST-WIN for Riordan and they fell [badly] 33-7 to SHC, which was the Crusader’s worst effort of the season.

Game 8 seems as if all the air is out of the balloon as Riordan succumbs to Bells 55-14.

Game 9 Another WCAL power Serra nearly hit 50 points rolling 49-14.

Game 10 and Riordan’s season ends with a blow-out loss by 56-0 to Mitty, the same Mitty that lost by 42-0 to St. Francis.

Conclusion: Riordan football cannot continue in the same fashion as 2016 at all 3 levels and attract any kind of talent for the sport. If the varsity cannot compete at a competitive level then the coaches should revamp the JV & Frosh systems being used. When I saw Riordan last season it appeared they had some talented athletes, however in the games the players seemed disoriented and completely out of sync. How much of this was players and how much was coaches is impossible to say, however it is the coaches who ultimately are responsible for the overall team play, which at the very least must be consistent in some manner [and being consistently bad is not acceptable]. When you’re dead last there are only 2 roads to take, one up and one back to where you were.

Next Up: Team Rosters & What to Expect from bottom to top.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

The Riordan Crusader’s come in at the 8th & final spot in the 8-team WCAL league for 2016 finishing 0-7 in league play and 2-8 overall. 2016 was a sobering season for Riordan fans after an upstart season in 2015 when Riordan had some of the most exciting players in the league and went 9-4 all the way to the Open Div III Championship. 2016 was more a step back to resuming play from 2013-14 it seemed.

What is troublesome for the future is that the JV and Frosh also went 0-7 in league play in 2016 giving the school an 0-21 record for the 2016 football season.

There was very little that separated the bottom 2 teams SHC & Riordan. I looked at their offense production and points allowed by defense and they are very close: SHC scored 97 points for the season and Riordan scored 125. On defense SHC allowed 355 points while Riordan allowed 352. Of the 2 teams Riordan had the slightly better offense against common opponents yet still lost to the Irish by 33-7. Other than against each other Riordan’s closest WCAL game was a 21-7 loss to S.I. while SHC lost to S.I. by 42-21. So there is little gap between the 2 teams and they could easily swap places in 2017 unless one can overtake S.I.

Riordan's 2016 Frosh did beat SI 12-7. SI's Frosh were 0-7.

Reactions: jordan24
Riordan's 2016 Frosh did beat SI 12-7. SI's Frosh were 0-7.
For what it's worth, out of all levels, Frosh were competitive in most of their games w/ the exception of VC and its final game @ Mitty. Lots of big kids on that team. The Frosh QB, Abdelghani, was brought up to Varsity the last 4 games-SHC, Bells, Serra and Mitty. A good amount of letterman return, don't know much about players up from JVs. Only their dismal record is an indicator at this point. Big question mark for me as I'm not sure what type of offensive and defensive schemes Coach Morris will implement.

Did SI lose a lot of players to graduation bc I know Sh and riordan are returning a lot of players
I do know SI returns lineman, Jaedon Roberts. Will be interesting in seeing his development. Hoops certainly helps improvement on his quickness, agility and footwork.

For what it's worth, out of all levels, Frosh were competitive in most of their games w/ the exception of VC and its final game @ Mitty. Lots of big kids on that team. The Frosh QB, Abdelghani, was brought up to Varsity the last 4 games-SHC, Bells, Serra and Mitty. A good amount of letterman return, don't know much about players up from JVs. Only their dismal record is an indicator at this point. Big question mark for me as I'm not sure what type of offensive and defensive schemes Coach Morris will implement.
Our 2016 Frosh weren't nearly as good as the prior two seasons although I think it says a lot about SI since both schools beat them. An underwhelming SHC frosh shut them out 21-0 and Riordan beat them 12-7. SI finished dead last and the SHC frosh won for the third year in a row against them.

Last edited:

Very good point re competitive frosh unit. They hung tough for most of the 2016 campaign. W-L mark did not reflect their performances.

Honestly sh and riordan can beat SI as long as the returning players took this offseason seriously
Yes. Riordan had so many opportunities early in that game to go up at least 2 TDs but could not convert. SI, too their credit, hung around and capitalized on a tired defensive unit and sealed away the game. That appeared to be a dagger in their heart as effort and mounting injuries doomed their season after that game.

Honestly sh and riordan can beat SI as long as the returning players took this offseason seriously
Noticed a new JV coach is onboard with last season's Frosh HC also on JV staff. Nice to see Riordan alum, Errol Tu ufuli in the Frosh staff. Any insight on the incoming Frosh class? I understand there's a talented football-basketball player coming to Phelan Ave.

Noticed a new JV coach is onboard with last season's Frosh HC also on JV staff. Nice to see Riordan alum, Errol Tu ufuli on the Frosh staff. Any insight on the incoming Frosh class?

Yes. Riordan had so many opportunities early in that game to go up at least 2 TDs but could not convert. SI, too their credit, hung around and capitalized on a tired defensive unit and sealed away the game. That appeared to be a dagger in their heart as effort and mounting injuries doomed their season after that game.
I recalled they also called back max mezie's td in the second or third play of the game

Noticed a new JV coach is onboard with last season's Frosh HC also on JV staff. Nice to see Riordan alum, Errol Tu ufuli on the Frosh staff. Any insight on the incoming Frosh class?
From what I heard a lot of players from the local football teams are going to be on the frosh team this year such as Daly City titans, sf warriors and Dc stars

Riordan varsity football faces the same problem they been facing for years now---sheer numbers. Their starters and backups can play, especially in the skill positions with talent across the board. But can they will they stay injury free and be able to compete? Beating SI and SH are doable, but this coaching staff must exude confidence in these players while instilling discipline at the same time.

Riordan varsity football faces the same problem they been facing for years now---sheer numbers. Their starters and backups can play, especially in the skill positions with talent across the board. But can they will they stay injury free and be able to compete? Beating SI and SH are doable, but this coaching staff must exude confidence in these players while instilling discipline at the same time.
Totally agree the juniors and seniors had very disappointing seasons at riordan so many players decide to quit bc they just don't wanna lose anymore so only the strong stay

Reading about Riordan & SHC and the smaller rosters and injury plagued problems I don't think anyone has touched upon a possible solution other than more players.

Here's something to think about. Last season Serra was 0-4 to start the season. During those early games against tough opponents coach Walsh of Serra limited the playing time of his best player QB Leki Nunn as well as several other key players. Nunn played only part of the game vs St. Mary’s, DLS and Pitt. Some will say it was due to leg cramps/injury, but I thought it was very smart in not risking your best players against very good teams during the early non-league pre-season. Like-wise Walsh also conserved Nunn to degree during the regular league season partially due to injury & partially to save him for the key games. Serra’s #2 QB saw more action than any other back-up in the WCAL and played a number of full games as well such as full games vs St. Ignatius, Mitty and if I remember 1 or 2 others. I have no reason why more teams do not limit their players in similar circumstances. It saves the key most valuable players for the “must-win” games and just as importantly gives valuable playing time and experience to the back-up and younger players.

Take note Riordan SHC & S.I.

Reactions: rabbit5
It helps to have quality backups, not place-fillers or mere practice players. Quality depth is a key in the WCAL. Typically, the five southern teams have it; more often than not, the SF schools do not. So, for the SF teams, using backups is often a guarantee of regular losses, both outside the league and within it. You can't create athletic ability by allowing limited kids to play; they will simply continue to be inadequate no matter how much experience they get.

It helps to have quality backups, not place-fillers or mere practice players. Quality depth is a key in the WCAL. Typically, the five southern teams have it; more often than not, the SF schools do not. So, for the SF teams, using backups is often a guarantee of regular losses, both outside the league and within it. You can't create athletic ability by allowing limited kids to play; they will simply continue to be inadequate no matter how much experience they get.
Couldn't agree more

To a degree colhenry is right, mere place-fillers does no good. On the other hand I'm convinced that the SF schools could learn something positive if they had a game plan to do exactly as I am suggesting. I'll give you a prime example. One of the SF schools had a situation with a senior QB and a junior QB who would become the starting QB the following year. The team suffered numerous double-diget blow-outs using the starter until the bitter end. The following season everyone complained that the new starting QB had little experience and would take time to settle down, get comfortable in the pocket and get his timing down on passes. I checked the season stats and the season prior the junior QB had attempted 2 passes. I rest my case as I've seen this take place over & over again. When there is no doubt as to the outcome of the game its time to empty the benches & rest the starters.

Last edited:
One size solutions regarding subs do not fit every team's specific situation game-by-game. For one thing, there's no point having a sub be physically overwhelmed because he's not prepared or able; that would be counter-productive. For another, the sub may be simply lousy without much future to begin with regardless of year in school. The QB position is a special case on every team. If the backup is bad, removing the starter ruins the entire offense and can result in a worrisome regression for all involved. Usually, but not always, coaches know what's best for their teams and players. They have reasons, usually logical ones, for what they do with their personnel. There can be any number of answers for why a starting QB is kept in a one-sided game. The 2016 Serra situation was interesting because the soph backup was very good and, presumably, the starting senior QB was actually nursing an injury. So using the backup when the game seemed to be all but over (or not playing the starter at all) made lots of sense in the Serra case. Not so sure that would work well for a lot of other clubs. I watched Riordan's backup QB's get hammered and bashed in 2016. What they may have learned from that grim experience remains unclear.

... which brings up another point: Few coaches employ sophomores (and the occasional frosh) as often and as consistently as Coach Walsh at Serra. The 2016 team was a case in point. He used a half-dozen sophs (some in key roles) and a frosh kicker as the season progressed. That varsity became one of the youngest in memory on West 20th Avenue. But Walsh has a yearly advantage; his freshman program is typically bulging with talent, some of it varsity material by the time those kids enter their soph years. It's one reason the Serra JV's wind up being beatable. The best serve the varsity. Can't remember the last time a Serra JV team won a WCAL title. It's regarded as being pretty much irrelevant in the big picture.

Reactions: jordan24
Excellent knowledge and points Colhenry regarding coach Walsh and the workings of Serra’s programs incl about how the JV team is to a degree inconsequential in the big picture = makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Our 2016 Frosh weren't nearly as good as the prior two seasons although I think it says a lot about SI since both schools beat them. An underwhelming SHC frosh shut them out 21-0 and Riordan beat them 12-7. SI finished dead last and the SHC frosh won for the third year in a row against them.
The frosh teams won three in a row but the class of 2018 and 2019 haven't won SI in the jv or varsity level yet

From what I heard a lot of players from the local football teams are going to be on the frosh team this year such as Daly City titans, sf warriors and Dc stars

They're back to recruiting their asses off. It'd be nice to know just how much "financial aid" Riordan is dishing out on their incoming Freshman football class. Funny that you mention 2 Daly City teams from where their selection pool. Meanwhile, the SF Warriors conduct all their business in Daly City lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT