ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

They're back to recruiting their asses off. It'd be nice to know just how much "financial aid" Riordan is dishing out on their incoming Freshman football class. Funny that you mention 2 Daly City teams from where their selection pool. Meanwhile, the SF Warriors conduct all their business in Daly City lol
Financial assistance availability are at a all-time high for the student body thanks to the efforts of the Biz Dev Director who has been onboard the past 2 years. The enhanced curriculum being rolled out this school year has been very attractive to incoming students and their families as they evaluate academics/activities specifically geared to young men and has been a key differentiator.

Review of WCAL Teams 2016 Season:Mitty

Conclusion:. Mitty perhaps did the best they could with the personnel on the roster in 2016. The players played well at times and the coaching as well was competitive based upon the circumstances I observed. Sometimes fans find fault with either coaching or the team itself or both. In hindsight looking back Mitty performed well enough, but was overwhelmed by larger more talented rosters. For Mitty to win 2 post season games against 2 good teams and make it to the Open II Championship says a lot about those players and their coaches IMO. Sometimes JY & Frosh team records can be deceiving in that several very good players can emerge from a losing lower level team. This remains to be seen and I’m hoping Mitty will bounce back in 2017 as I enjoyed watching their last 3 games of 2016.

Mitty had a pretty good QB last season in Phillip Tran who is playing at East Los Angeles College, a community college, this coming season. Will be interesting who plays QB this coming season for the Monarch's. Would think their Junior who started on JV. Their senior class starter on JV a couple years ago Peter Powers transferred to Palma after the football season last year and is competing to start with last season Palma JV starter junior Grant Sergeant. Powers is big (6-3, 190) and was mobile - a load to tackle and decent passer. He played mostly on defense last season and one of a few backups at QB. Not sure he would have been a starter as a junior if Tran wasn't at Mitty or the next backup. I think Mitty will be competing for 5th in the WCAL with SI and SHP and Riordan. Power's 6-6, 320lb brother Jack played at Palma and played OL at AZ State and now is second year DE starter at University of VA. It is looking like a 3 and posiby 4 team race in the WCAL. Maybe SI can surprise...I thought SI had a pretty good looking backup junior QB last season that really had a nice accurate deep pass.

Last edited:
Mitty had a pretty good QB last season in Phillip Tran who is playing at East Los Angeles College, a community college, this coming season. Will be interesting who plays QB this coming season for the Monarch's. Would think their Junior who started on JV. Their senior class starter on JV a couple years ago Peter Powers transferred to Palma after the football season last year and is competing to start with last season Palma JV starter junior Grant Sergeant. Powers is big (6-3, 190) and was mobile - a load to tackle and decent passer. He played mostly on defense last season and one of a few backups at QB. Not sure he would have been a starter as a junior if Tran wasn't at Mitty or the next backup. I think Mitty will be competing for 5th in the WCAL with SI and SHP and Riordan. Power's 6-6, 320lb brother Jack played at Palma and played OL at AZ State and now is second year DE starter at University of VA. It is looking like a 3 and posiby 4 team race in the WCAL. Maybe SI can surprise...I thought SI had a pretty good looking backup junior QB last season that really had a nice accurate deep pass.
Mitty will have a formidable defensive line this season with Mitty’s Nick Alftin (Cal Commit) and Gabe Meza (WCAL-1st team) on the defensive line, who combined for 16.5 sacks last season.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Perhaps the most intriguing WCAL team in 2017 is Bellarmine. Since the Bells, who aren't mentioned often in pre-season title discussions this year, typically keep their sophs down on their JV team, it can be difficult to gauge their potential varsity impact as juniors. But past experience would indicate that it's probably a mistake to disregard their juniors who are fresh off the JV's. Bellarmine has a long and distinguished history of re-loading. Still, it's hard to predict what the juniors' (and maybe even a soph or two's) impact might be. Dismissing Bellarmine at this early stage? Might be a fool's errand.

Perhaps the most intriguing WCAL team in 2017 is Bellarmine. Since the Bells, who aren't mentioned often in pre-season title discussions this year, typically keep their sophs down on their JV team, it can be difficult to gauge their potential varsity impact as juniors. But past experience would indicate that it's probably a mistake to disregard their juniors who are fresh off the JV's. Bellarmine has a long and distinguished history of re-loading. Still, it's hard to predict what the juniors' (and maybe even a soph or two's) impact might be. Dismissing Bellarmine at this early stage? Might be a fool's errand.
Bellarmine should always be considered in the WCAL title hunt year in and year out. An outstanding program!

Reactions: colhenrylives
How competitive will Sh and riordan compete in the wcal any predictions??
I'm looking forward to Rmbr26's assessment of this year's Crusaders. It's a big question mark for me this season as I thought their play last season was very underachieving as there was talent, but appeared effort was lacking when adversity hit. Every team deals with injuries - so no excuse there. Might be a year or two away. An increase in roster size with contributing players, not stiffs, will be key.

A Pre-Season Look at each of the WCAL’s Teams and what to possibly expect in 2017

So now to look at each team and its returning players from last season’s varsity who will form the core of each team along with any impact players up from last year’s JV’s and maybe a few talented soph’s thrown into the mix. As history shows us though primarily it will be last years’ juniors who started that the teams will rely most heavily on. I reviewed the teams earlier based upon their overall win/loss record for last season and I’ll reverse that by starting with the lowest win total and going up from there which would be:

Riordan Crusader’s 2017 - A Season of Hope?

The Riordan fans endured somewhat of a roller coaster ride the last 3 seasons going from misery to euphoria and back to a somewhat miserable season last year in 2016. So is there any hope for the upcoming season or will Riordan again be the proverbial “doormat” of the WCAL? First off let’s take a look at the roster and see WHO is not returning.

In 2016 Riordan had a roster showing well over 50 players which would indicate substantial depth and hopefully enough athletic players to assemble a competitive team. Unfortunately though the 2016 Riordan team limped through a 2-8 season, so possibly the players not returning will not be missed to great degree. Here is the list and you be the judge.

2016 Riordan senior’s not returning this season: Phil KaulaveOL/DT 6’1-300 first team All WCAL, Donny Bendo – WR/SS 6’0-155 first team All WCAL, Keelon Best – WR/CB 6’2-175 2nd team All WCAL, Randy Bellorin G/T 6’3-275 WCAL Honorable Mention, Joshua Boone– QB,WR,CB 5’7-150, Xavier Caracter QB 6’3-195. There are certainly others who may have contributed, however these are the names that stand out.

So now that we know who left who will be returning & can there be any cause for hope this season? The simple answer is Yes Crusader fans. At least on paper the 2017 Riordan team looks to be a bit more solid than last season’s version. The 2017 Riordan team really was devoid of any explosive players on offense and its biggest weak spot was at the helm of the offense, which is of course at the QB position. Riordan’s offense production was abysmal and simply put “cannot get any worse”. It appeared more based upon a lack of execution by players rather than athletic talent, as at times Riordan’s players appeared that they could compete against other teams they lost games to. At any rate let’s see who we have returning for the 2017 season.

Returning Players of Impact for Riordan 2017: Lasa Tofi – FB/LB 5’9-225 1rst team All WCAL and a player Riordan will count on heavily on both sides of the ball, Joshua Miles a transfer from SHC should add help at the RB position, Max Mezie – WR/CB 5’11-170 another good athlete type who can play both ways and will need to step it up on offense. Overall Riordan does not lose a lot to graduation as they were a very young team last season and therefore return about 75% of the team including many of their starters. So an important question is: Can a 2-8 team returning most of its players be any better this season? The answer is Yes as before in that at this level the young players can only get bigger, faster and smarter based upon a years’ experience. They return a number of key players on both offense and defense along with a transfer RB, a consistent WR with several notable linemen on both sides of the ball. Of course the key player is the QB as Riordan struggled last season at this position and will need to simply score more points to better that 2-8 record. While the team was young last season Riordan also was adjusting to new coaching and that transition can be anything than smooth at the HS level. Riordan should be very competitive on defense with the starters they have returning if the offense can keep them off the field.

Conclusion: The Crusader’s lose a marginal number of players of impact while bringing back most of their key component players. With a reliable RB and WR if Riordan has a capable & most importantly “efficient” QB who can direct the offense they can be competitive. I say competitive rather than winning as last season Riordan was simply not competitive and that is the first hurdle to overcome – to stay within striking distance of the better teams. I think Riordan will be solid on defense and if Riordan can pass then Riordan can win. That is the part that will be the coaches responsibility for this upcoming season – to move their QB up from being the #8 ranked QB in the 8 team WCAL. Offense is the name of the game for Riordan in 2017.

Next Up: Sacred Heart Cathedral “SHC” Irish

Last edited:
Didn't Riordan have pretty much the same coaching staff in 2016 as it had in 2015, including the head coach? Isn't Riordan starting over in the varsity coaching department in 2017? I could be incorrect. Heaven knows, it would not be the first time.

On further review, it's probably a bit early to predict rosters. MaxPreps is not always correct. School websites are even less help at this early stage. Let's talk in about 10 days.

Reactions: jordan24
Yeah isaias sierra is at Pitt, and Demanuel transferred to some school in San Deigo. But Riordan has gained 3 transfer students. Joshua miles from SHC who is a much better back than Demanuel trust me. As well as a runningback from Burton. They also got a new lineman, i dont know his name but from what i heard hes about 6'5 280 lbs. Even with this riordan has lost alot more players than you think.

Didn't Riordan have pretty much the same coaching staff in 2016 as it had in 2015, including the head coach? Isn't Riordan starting over in the varsity coaching department in 2017? I could be incorrect. Heaven knows, it would not be the first time.
Same staff as last 2 seasons minus Fordon. I thought they were trying to fit a square peg into a round hole re their offensive scheme. Personnel did not fit their scheme as they thought it would bring the same success as it did in 2015. Again, a healthy roster number of 48+ with serviceable depth is critical.

A Pre-Season Look at each of the WCAL’s Teams and what to possibly expect in 2017

So now to look at each team and its returning players from last season’s varsity who will form the core of each team along with any impact players up from last year’s JV’s and maybe a few talented soph’s thrown into the mix. As history shows us though primarily it will be last years’ juniors who started that the teams will rely most heavily on. I reviewed the teams earlier based upon their overall win/loss record for last season and I’ll reverse that by starting with the lowest win total and going up from there which would be:

The Riordan fans endured somewhat of a roller coaster ride the last 3 seasons going from misery to euphoria and back to a somewhat miserable season last year in 2016. So is there any hope for the upcoming season or will Riordan again be the proverbial “doormat” of the WCAL? First off let’s take a look at the roster and see WHO is not returning.

In 2016 Riordan had a roster showing well over 50 players which would indicate substantial depth and hopefully enough athletic players to assemble a competitive team. Unfortunately though the 2016 Riordan team limped through a 2-8 season, so possibly the players not returning will not be missed to great degree. Here is the list and you be the judge.

2016 Riordan senior’s not returning this season: Phil KaulaveOL/DT 6’1-300 first team All WCAL, Donny Bendo – WR/SS 6’0-155 first team All WCAL, Keelon Best – WR/CB 6’2-175 2nd team All WCAL, Randy Bellorin G/T 6’3-275 WCAL Honorable Mention, Joshua Boone– QB,WR,CB 5’7-150, Xavier Caracter QB 6’3-195. There are certainly others who may have contributed, however these are the names that stand out.

So now that we know who left who will be returning & can there be any cause for hope this season? The simple answer is Yes Crusader fans. At least on paper the 2017 Riordan team looks to be a bit more solid than last season’s version. The 2017 Riordan team really was devoid of any explosive players on offense and its biggest weak spot was at the helm of the offense, which is of course at the QB position. Riordan’s offense production was abysmal and simply put “cannot get any worse”. It appeared more based upon a lack of execution by players rather than athletic talent, as at times Riordan’s players appeared that they could compete against other teams they lost games to. At any rate let’s see who we have returning for the 2017 season.

Returning Players of Impact for Riordan 2017: Lasa Tofi – FB/LB 5’9-225 1rst team All WCAL and a player Riordan will count on heavily on both sides of the ball. Isaias Sierra T/DT 6’2-260 a young soph player who made an impact last season and 2nd Team All WCAL can play both ways as well, Demanuel Talauati-Brown – RB 6’2-240 could be a bit of a surprise player as 2nd team All WCAL, after all, who wants to tackle a 240 LB RB in HS? [I think Pitt wanted to recruit Brown but he was too tall], Max Mezie – WR/CB 5’11-170 another good athlete type who can play both ways and will need to step it up on offense. Overall Riordan does not lose a lot to graduation as they were a very young team last season and therefore return about 75% of the team including many of their starters. So an important question is: Can a 2-8 team returning most of its players be any better this season? The answer is Yes as before in that at this level the young players can only get bigger, faster and smarter based upon a years’ experience. Riordan will likely rely on its QB chores from an underclassman Demanuel Taulauti [ARHS fans correct me if wrong] who has good size at 6’1 and is athletic. They return their key RB who performed adequately last season and their best 2-way lineman and a good WR with experience. Of course the key player is the QB as Riordan struggled last season at this position and will need to simply score more points to better that 2-8 record. While the team was young last season Riordan also was adjusting to new coaching and that transition can be anything than smooth at the HS level. Riordan should be very competitive on defense with the starters they have returning if the offense can keep them off the field.

Conclusion: The Crusader’s lose a marginal number of players of impact while bringing back most of their key component players. With a reliable RB and WR if Riordan has a capable & most importantly “efficient” QB who can direct the offense they can be competitive. I say competitive rather than winning as last season Riordan was simply not competitive and that is the first hurdle to overcome – to stay within striking distance of the better teams. I think Riordan will be solid on defense and if Riordan can pass then Riordan can win. That is the part that will be the coaches responsibility for this upcoming season – to move their QB up from being the #8 ranked QB in the 8 team WCAL. Offense is the name of the game for Riordan in 2017.

Solid review!!!!

Reactions: Defense_Rules

Nothing wrong with your memory colhenry, IMO any coaching staff of 2-3 years or less is still adjusting and trying to figure out which system works best with what they've got to work with. As young teams sometimes struggle so do young coaching staffs working with each other and both Riordan & SHC have made recent changes in coaching and both have struggled. Other teams such as Bells & Serra have no such issues since their staffs have been in place for such a long duration. Look at New England for example in comparison to the 49ers [4 coaches in 4 seasons]. With New England & Bill Belichick the players on both offense & defense simply come & go year after year yet they reload smoothly and keep winning [& yes I know it doesn't hurt to have Serra Padre Tom Brady at the helm as well].

Sacred Heart Cathedral “SHC” Irish

Is this the season the Irish turn things around?

Riordan had a record setting season in 2015 and even though 2016 was a disappointment the excitement of the 2015 team has not completely worn off for some fans. The same cannot be said of the SHC Irish from any time recent. We merely need to look at the last 3 seasons in which the Irish have gone 6-24 with a lone WCAL win over Riordan in 3 seasons [so 1-20 in league play the last 3 years]. Is there any hope or reason to be optimistic this season for the SHC fans or has football at SHC merely become an afterthought or something of interest only when they play Riordan or S.I.? I don’t know the answer and apparently the coaching staff has not come up with one yet as well. Let’s take a look at the roster and see what if anything looks promising. [To All – while I will point out 1rst, 2nd Team & Honorable mention All WCAL it is important to remember the coaches of each team get to nominate a selected number of their best players based upon the teams record. What that means is there are players on this list you’ve never heard of, some did not have notable season’s and some are selected by their coaches simply for their senior status and importance to their own team].

2016 SHC senior’s not returning this season: Darren Nocetti – OL/DL 6’3-280 First team All WCAL 2 way player, Sean Fewer – WR/DB 6’0-175 First team All WCAL, Albert Ilaoa LB 5’8-210.

Much more importantly: Who is returning?

Will Irons – QB 6’5-190 last season’s starter, Are’on Mitchell – DB/Utility-Athlete 6’2-195 First team All WCAL, Ronan Orford – WR/RB 6’0-160 First team All WCAL was the 10th leading WR in WCAL with 32 catches last season, Herbert Boston – LB 6’1-180 2nd team All WCAL, Andres Ruiz DB 5’9-165 2nd team All WCAL, Sami Nazzal – OL/DL 6’3-310 WCAL Honorable Mention, Zack Lealao – LB 5’11-210 WCAL Honorable Mention, Anthony Heard – RB/DB 5’8-175 Irish leading rusher last season with 449 yards rushing and a 6.8 YPC avg, Levar Watkins – WR/DB – 5’10-165.

All told SHC has ½ of their starters returning which is a good sign. Another good sign is SHC returns most of their skill players which is huge for any WCAL team: Irish return their QB, their 2 top RB’s, their top WR and a number of notable lineman incl. Sami Nazzi and LB Zach Lealao. Of last season’s roster of 44 players the Irish lose 13 to graduation, so not too bad. Last season as has happened prior the Irish were not deep in roster depth and a handful of injuries left them inefficient on offense and their defense worn out from too much time on the field. The JV team went 4-6 last season so what the Irish need is approx. 20 players off that team and a few soph’s off the frosh team last season. The Irish have the talent this season, but need more players than last season to around 50 on the roster [and as colhenry & others have pointed out, not just bodies but players who can compete against other WCAL teams players].

Conclusion and what to expect: On the plus side SHC returns most of their talent especially at the skill positions which is huge. While Riordan & SHC return about the same number of starters the Irish have the advantage in skill players and especially at the QB position. The downfall of the Irish will be if their roster is again below 45 and they suffer any injuries to key offensive players. You need to score points to win and in 2016 there was no worse team in scoring than SHC. Too many 3 and outs is the beginning of the end for the SHC defense and why they ran out of gas so early in the 2016 season. From looking at SHC’s roster and their pre-season schedule it appears that all 3 of the games could be within reach of this team to win. If the Irish offense is improved as I expect it to be they should be able to score on those 3 opponents and need to substitute back-ups if they are able to get ahead. It is much smarter for SHC to lose a pre-season game if need be to save starters for league play. Having said that the victory starved fans and coaching staff would likely take exception to the mere thought of losing a close game by pulling a few starters. Finally SHC has what appears to be its best roster in at least the last 4 seasons and should improve to at least its best season in the last 4 seasons [4 wins in 2017 would constitute a successful season for SHC].

Next Up: St. Ignatius Wildcats

I dont believe it was Watkins that transferred. It was either Heard or Lavallier, or perhaps both.

I think it was Levar Watkins who transferred...I could be wrong...Don't forget Soph Bryce Monroe, he will be a nice addition as a RB or WR or even QB if they run a wildcat formation.
With Monroe's breakout success in summer time AAU ball, will he return to the gridiron?

Thanks Rikfran as always good to hear from a legitimate source with your son being on the team. Best of luck to him in 2017 season.
Thanks.hoping for healthy season. He missed entire season last year being injured in scrimmage. He has good bloodlines. His grandfather was two time all city tackle at Balboa in the mid-1940s and four year starter at Pacific. Came across my dads old scrapbook from his junior year. The stories and the pictures in the paper were incredible, The last article was on the all city team with pictures of the 11 first team players in the headline across the paper. My dad was one and four players over from him was Jerry Mahoney from Sacred Heart, who died one year later in WWII and is the Mahoney honored in the Bruce Mahoney game. Neat connection for my four boys who all attended SHC.

Thanks.hoping for healthy season. He missed entire season last year being injured in scrimmage. He has good bloodlines. His grandfather was two time all city tackle at Balboa in the mid-1940s and four year starter at Pacific. Came across my dads old scrapbook from his junior year. The stories and the pictures in the paper were incredible, The last article was on the all city team with pictures of the 11 first team players in the headline across the paper. My dad was one and four players over from him was Jerry Mahoney from Sacred Heart, who died one year later in WWII and is the Mahoney honored in the Bruce Mahoney game. Neat connection for my four boys who all attended SHC.

That's awesome stuff. Kudos to the entire family.

Returning Players of Impact for Riordan 2017: Lasa Tofi – FB/LB 5’9-225 1rst team All WCAL and a player Riordan will count on heavily on both sides of the ball, Joshua Miles a transfer from SHC should add help at the RB position, Max Mezie – WR/CB 5’11-170 another good athlete type who can play both ways and will need to step it up on offense. Overall Riordan does not lose a lot to graduation as they were a very young team last season and therefore return about 75% of the team including many of their starters. So an important question is: Can a 2-8 team returning most of its players be any better this season? The answer is Yes as before in that at this level the young players can only get bigger, faster and smarter based upon a years’ experience. They return a number of key players on both offense and defense along with a transfer RB, a consistent WR with several notable linemen on both sides of the ball. Of course the key player is the QB as Riordan struggled last season at this position and will need to simply score more points to better that 2-8 record. While the team was young last season Riordan also was adjusting to new coaching and that transition can be anything than smooth at the HS level. Riordan should be very competitive on defense with the starters they have returning if the offense can keep them off the field.

Many more really good additions to the team via last years JV team ( not a good team, but had some good players) of which at least two will start and play on both sides of the ball, as well as much needed depth on the line. Add Jelani Clark at receiver and now the Crusaders have weapons.
The Crusaders are beginning to believe in themselves and that could mean trouble for their opponents.

Great stuff Rikfran! My father went to Balboa in the mid-1940’s and was a 2-time All City RB and is in the Balboa Sports Hall of Fame.

Many more really good additions to the team via last years JV team ( not a good team, but had some good players) of which at least two will start and play on both sides of the ball, as well as much needed depth on the line. Add Jelani Clark at receiver and now the Crusaders have weapons.
The Crusaders are beginning to believe in themselves and that could mean trouble for their opponents.
Add both Mezie brothers with Clark and you have a promising receiving group Is last season's soph Marcus Williams back, too? Deal breaker is a QB who cannot get them the ball.

Add both Mezie brothers with Clark and you have a promising receiving group Is last season's soph Marcus Williams back, too? Deal breaker is a QB who cannot get them the ball.
QB can spin it, but the line is the key, as always. Look for a sound stout defense, with two tough inside linebackers leading the way.

Not sure how Clark will do just he is a great athlete tho amazing basketball player... not sure how he will do on the field tho considering it's his first year playing football in hs

Not sure how Clark will do just he is a great athlete tho amazing basketball player... not sure how he will do on the field tho considering it's his first year playing football in hs
Yes. Remains to be seen. You can't coach size and speed, though. Jelani will be one of the fastest players with size and athleticsm on the field.

True he also has 2 more years left after this season so he will most definitely grow as a football and athlete
Yes. Remains to be seen. You can't coach size and speed, though. Jelani will be one of the fastest players with size and athleticsm on the field.[/QUOTE

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT