ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

It would be great to prove them wrong, IC? Ha, Im still waiting for FUBO to pipe in or say something completely off the top, is he MIA where has he been? Riordan got a nice principal maybe they can change the way Riordan is spelled now..:)

Great stuff Rikfran! My father went to Balboa in the mid-1940’s and was a 2-time All City RB and is in the Balboa Sports Hall of Fame.
Rmbr, I assuming your father must have played right after my dad. The star running back on my dads' team in 1943 and 1944 was Dick Olmo.

It would be great to prove them wrong, IC? Ha, Im still waiting for FUBO to pipe in or say something completely off the top, is he MIA where has he been? Riordan got a nice principal maybe they can change the way Riordan is spelled now..:)
At least it's an Irish name...

It would be great to prove them wrong, IC? Ha, Im still waiting for FUBO to pipe in or say something completely off the top, is he MIA where has he been? Riordan got a nice principal maybe they can change the way Riordan is spelled now..:)[/Qoute

Hi Scott

Reactions: Scott2138
Many more really good additions to the team via last years JV team ( not a good team, but had some good players) of which at least two will start and play on both sides of the ball, as well as much needed depth on the line. Add Jelani Clark at receiver and now the Crusaders have weapons.
The Crusaders are beginning to believe in themselves and that could mean trouble for their opponents.
Rabbit5, Calispectator, Churbro1996, who do you see as the Crusader qb for this season? Your assessment of the team?

Last edited:
SI will not finish 4th this year, unrest and turmoil on 37th avenue. They only have bodies, a few good playrs, but mostly bodies.
Pre-season will be a good indicator after the first game. Clovis East won't be much of a challenge.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="jordan24, post: 168568, member: 140"]Add both Mezie brothers with Clark and you have a promising receiving group Is last season's soph Marcus Williams back, too? Deal breaker is a QB who cannot get them the ball.[/QUOTE]

Jordan - lets give Will Irons the benefit of the doubt and just think that over a year and full season he has improved to some degree. SHC's offense while anemic had averaged 112 yards per game which is around mid-pack for the WCAL. His TD's to INT's ratio was not good and he'll need to show improvement there -almost 1.1.
Here is the key and that’s his 50% completion percentage which is just not good enough to win games in this league. With another year under his belt and physical development for his age AND players SHC has returning I would expect his completion ratio to go into the high 50% range and that gentlemen is huge! As Will Irons passing arm goes, so goes the Irish for 2017. Let’s be clear. SHC has to pass to win and has to be proficient in that aspect of the game. That opens up their run game and keeps the D off the field which is needed with minimal depth/back-ups.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
[QUOTE="jordan24, post: 168568, member: 140"]Add both Mezie brothers with Clark and you have a promising receiving group Is last season's soph Marcus Williams back, too? Deal breaker is a QB who cannot get them the ball.

Jordan - lets give Will Irons the benefit of the doubt and just think that over a year and full season he has improved to some degree. SHC's offense while anemic had averaged 112 yards per game which is around mid-pack for the WCAL. His TD's to INT's ratio was not good and he'll need to show improvement there -almost 1.1.
Here is the key and that’s his 50% completion percentage which is just not good enough to win games in this league. With another year under his belt and physical development for his age AND players SHC has returning I would expect his completion ratio to go into the high 50% range and that gentlemen is huge! As Will Irons passing arm goes, so goes the Irish for 2017. Let’s be clear. SHC has to pass to win and has to be proficient in that aspect of the game. That opens up their run game and keeps the D off the field which is needed with minimal depth/back-ups.[/QUOTE]
Rmbr, my comment was about Riordan's qb situation this season as it remains a question mark. Easy to get confused with the new names and the follow-up comments from your posts. Lol!

Last edited:
[/QUOTE="jordan24, post: 168603, member: 140"]Jordan - lets give Will Irons the benefit of the doubt and just think that over a year and full season he has improved to some degree. SHC's offense while anemic had averaged 112 yards per game which is around mid-pack for the WCAL. His TD's to INT's ratio was not good and he'll need to show improvement there -almost 1.1.
Rmbr, my comment was about Riordan's qb situation.[/QUOTE]

Although, Rmbr26 is right. Will Irons played well considering the season was essentially over by game two with myriad key injuries and literally half the team suspended for the last game of the season. I still haven't seen a roster. Maybe by the scrimmage next week.

Last edited:
Rmbr, I assuming your father must have played right after my dad. The star running back on my dads' team in 1943 and 1944 was Dick Olmo.
[/I]

Rikfran, somewhere we are off by a year or ? I believe my father played '43-44 and just found the roster for the '44 championship game with him in it, but no Dick Olmo. I think I remember seeing Dick Olmo's name before and will have to ask dad or look through his memorabilia [his memory is still really good - will let you know]. Also no Balboa Sports Hall of Fame on their school website - unable to find anywhere.

2017 St. Ignatius Wildcats

Can S.I. turn it around after back to back losing season’s?

Has football become a mere after-thought on the S.I. campus? S.I. seems to have settled comfortably into the lower 3rd tier of the WCAL along with SHC & ARHS. There is though a slight difference between the 3 SF teams. Going back multiple seasons with the exception of the 2015 “upstart” Riordan team S.I. fits in its own tier so to speak with a gap in between SHC & ARHS below it and Mitty above it in both standings & ratings. What has developed is an S.I. team that has consistently had a negative season rating, but scores more points and gives up less than the 2 teams below it. On the flip side there is a considerable gap in ratings & stats between S.I. and the next team above them which has usually been Mitty. So S.I. for 2017 is in a position of “Where do we go from here?” Conventional thinking by fans has most of us thinking S.I. will win 1-2 pre-season games and then win over SHC & Riordan as expected. Is that the best S.I. fans can hope for? OR do S.I. fans still care about their football program? Let’s take a look at S.I.’s roster and see if there is any indication of a change this season for 2017.

2016 S.I. senior’s not returning this season: Patrick Brosnan – QB, Dan Hagen – TE/DL First Team All WCAL, Rusty McDonough – DB First Team All WCAL, Nick Menchero WR/DB First Team All WCAL, Andre Truccolo – OL First Team All WCAL, Jack McKeon – LB 2nd Team All WCAL, Charlie Dallape – DB WCAL Honorable Mention.

Much more importantly: Who is returning?

Jaedon Roberts – WCAL Soph POY, OL/DL 6’3-250, David Woodruff WR/DE 6’4-175 2nd Team All WCAL, Charlie Katz DB 5’11-160 WCAL Honorable Mention, Kiernan O’Keefe OL/DL 5’11-190, Mark Biggins – RB/DB 5’10-180.

So weighing in it appears S.I. lost a minimum of 7 players of impact including their QB. Last season’s roster showed a total of 44 players of which 21 were senior’s or almost ½ of the team graduated. S.I. is heavily dependent on its JV team for last season in trying to reload this many players. Of last season’s roster 4 players were soph’s so the team was at 40 players without bringing up the 4 under-classmen. Checking MaxPrep’s the 2017 roster for S.I. is currently at 39 and that my friends is def not a good sign of things to come [unless more players are brought up – IF there are any players to bring up.

Conclusion and what to expect: S.I. is facing a number of dilemma’s as I see it for this season. First of all they will start a new QB again. S.I. is lacking in skill players coming back from last season and needs to improve on offense over last year. Looking for high impact players they will have to emerge from new talent coming up to varsity. At 39 players S.I. can still be competitive, however the odds are against it. With very good talent at the skill positions incl at QB especially and a very good RB a sub-40 WCAL roster could be competitive and that’s if no injuries at the premiere positions. At a quick glance S.I. has the smallest roster of the 3 SF schools and is facing an uphill challenge without adequate reserves [which means 2-way players at several positions – a tough assignment facing the likes of Serra, SF & VC]. Freeman Rankings has S.I. rated higher in 2017 and not sure how the computers came up rating this 2017 roster over the 2016 team[?]. The projection shows S.I. for 2017 ending the season 6-4 whereas I believe S.I. at this point will be fortunate if they can go 4-6 this coming season. Hopefully the Wildcats will prove me wrong and surprise this season.

Next Up: Mitty Monarch’s

Reactions: FBAddict
2017 St. Ignatius Wildcats

Can S.I. turn it around after back to back losing season’s?

Has football become a mere after-thought on the S.I. campus? S.I. seems to have settled comfortably into the lower 3rd tier of the WCAL.[/.

Next Up: Mitty Monarch’s

SI will be lucky to win one or maybe two games and none will be against SHC.

They certainly won't finish 4th (!?!?) in the WCAL. Also, watch out for those Apostrophe Cops.

Last edited:

I suspect "general lee" is fubo's alter-ego. That certainly isn't Coach John Lee.

Cal Preps is picking SI to finish 4th.

I think its time for some new computers for Freeman's-CalPreps rating system OR the person inputting the data is smoking something.

Unless S.I. bolsters that roster upwards of 50 players and some new talent emerges the Wildcats most definitely are not going to finish anywhere close to 4th in WCAL without a minor miracle [lots of Our Fathers & plenty of Hail Mary's]..

Rabbit5, Calispectator, Churbro1996, who do you see as the Crusader qb for this season? Your assessment of the team?

The QB will be the sophomore, not the senior, the sophomore is a natural QB with a better arm. The senior is versatile and gives the team more depth at every skill position. The fact the sophomore missed some summer practices due to an injury puts him presently as the backup, but that will change shortly.

Playmakers on both sides of the ball is the strength of this team. Very good senior leadership along with 4 sophomores who will get playing time as well prime time roles for two way players from their junior class.

Line play is the key here, if coach Morris and Jones can get this unit to perform, I see as much as 4 wins, 5 is not out of the question.

Next weeks scrimmage at Miramonte answers all the questions.

Reactions: jordan24
[/I]

Rikfran, somewhere we are off by a year or ? I believe my father played '43-44 and just found the roster for the '44 championship game with him in it, but no Dick Olmo. I think I remember seeing Dick Olmo's name before and will have to ask dad or look through his memorabilia [his memory is still really good - will let you know]. Also no Balboa Sports Hall of Fame on their school website - unable to find anywhere.
[/I]

Rmbr. I am not sure what year Olmo graduated since I only have 43 season articles. I assumed he was in my dads class because after the war, he and my dad rode up to Stockton on back of Olmo's Harley motorcycle for open tryouts at Pacific. The coach that season was Alonzo Stagg. From the all league list, there were two other backs from Balboa who were on the list. Tom Dillon was 2nd team along with Olmo, and Vern Scherba was 3rd team. I am assume one of those two is your dad.

Last edited:
The QB will be the sophomore, not the senior, the sophomore is a natural QB with a better arm. The senior is versatile and gives the team more depth at every skill position. The fact the sophomore missed some summer practices due to an injury puts him presently as the backup, but that will change shortly.

Playmakers on both sides of the ball is the strength of this team. Very good senior leadership along with 4 sophomores who will get playing time as well prime time roles for two way players from their junior class.

Line play is the key here, if coach Morris and Jones can get this unit to perform, I see as much as 4 wins, 5 is not out of the question.

Next weeks scrimmage at Miramonte answers all the questions.
Don't forget about Nicholas millburn from the jvs kid ran a 11.2 in track and 40
Time is 4.5 very fast player and a playmaker too

Reactions: rabbit5

Some good stuff Rikfran! Haven't been by dad's yet, but saved some links to info.

Here you go, its a copy of the 1944 SF Championship game program [a very big deal in those by-gone days in which 20,000 fans would fill Kezar for a HS football game [imagine!].
http://www.weebly.com/uploads/3/0/9/7/30972031/football-aaachampprogram1944.pdf

OK I have a few others but you'll figure it out until I get by dad's to rifle through his pile of "artifacts". Clue: to this day "dad: goes to lunch with "Sherm Heaney".

My "handle" is derived from my dad, my best friend in HS @ Serra [deceased] and my # in FB.

It took a lot more than 20,000 folks to fill the old Kezar Stadium. In 1928, for example, 50,000 attended the Lowell vs. Polytechnic contest, according to the AAA history books. But not to worry. Very few of us were at that particular ballgame. So memories are necessarily dim.

It took a lot more than 20,000 folks to fill the old Kezar Stadium. In 1928, for example, 50,000 attended the Lowell vs. Polytechnic contest, according to the AAA history books. But not to worry. Very few of us were at that particular ballgame. So memories are necessarily dim.

Thank you colhenry as a different time and age that few of us around today can appreciate. I know my father said the stadium seemed full and was "rockin" so no idea how many fans were in the stadium other than his remarks. He does have the main SF newspaper from that time with the game results & pictures on the front page of the most read SF newspaper of that time. Imagine the SF Chron having a picture and storyline on an SHC vs S.I. game present day on front page?
Something sad about how the news now a days ignores HS sports and will print anything but. No wonder most has/is canceling their print newspapers.

SF had five thriving dailies back in the day. And they covered prep sports (all boys, of course) like they were colleges. There were no major pro teams in SF back then, although the old Seals were considered big-time. But that was about it.

Rmbr, all I can say is wow. We have a connection. Would love to get together with you and your dad. Unfortunately, my dad passed in 2002. Contact me at rikfran@comcast.net if interested.

SF had five thriving dailies back in the day. And they covered prep sports (all boys, of course) like they were colleges. There were no major pro teams in SF back then, although the old Seals were considered big-time. But that was about it.
The papers did give write-ups to some girls sports. During my research for SHC, I came across an article about how good Polytechnic's girls basketball team was in 1905. Pictures included. There was also an 1897 article about the Stanford women playing the girls from Oakland HS. Men weren't allowed into the game except for the team doctor. The refs and scorekeepers were all women. They even had a banquet later.

Last edited:
Reactions: colhenrylives
2017 Mitty “Monarch’s”

Does Mitty make a run in 2017 or hold steady at the #5 position in WCAL?

For myself Mitty was one of the more interesting teams to watch throughout the 2016 season going 3-4 in league and 7-6 overall. Mitty had quite an up & down season as they say, losing big one week and winning big on others. Mitty suffered a couple of blow-out losses to SF & Serra in consecutive weeks, but showed the fortitude to come back from those disparaging losses & string together 3 nice wins into the post season before a hard fought and respectable loss to Serra by 37-24 in the Open II Championship. While Serra won by 13 points over Mitty what is important is that Serra along the way had also just beaten SF by 31-17 the week prior - a 14 point differential – so Mitty lost by 1 point less to Serra than SF who had blanked Mitty 42-0 in league play. Mitty finished the 2016 season on a very strong note IMO.

2016 Mitty senior’s not returning this season: Austin Kause WR/DB– WCAL MVP Utility Player/Athlete, Zondre Faraj-Washington RB/LB First Team All WCAL, Philip Tran QB – First Team All WCAL and passing yardage leader for WCAL throwing for over 2100 yards, Andy Wiltberger OL/DL 2nd Team All WCAL, Keaton Collier DB 2nd Team All WCAL, Blake Rose DE 2nd Team All WCAL, Matt Hicks OL WCAL Honorable Mention, Tyler Jochen WR WCAL Honorable Mention. Mitty loses 18 seniors off a roster of 46 players or approx. 38% of roster. Mitty had one of the worst JV teams and one of the best Frosh teams so they could possibly reload 20+ varsity players from those 2 teams. The 2 players unlikely to equal will of course be Philip Tran & Austin Kause.

Nick Alftin DE 6’5 – 225
First Team All WCAL and likely one of the top D-players in the WCAL this season, Joseph Vaughn 6'3-190 WR/SS 2-way player First Team All WCAL as a Soph, Gabe Meza OL/DL 6’2-215 First Team All WCAL, Tyler Laton OL/DL 6’2-185 WCAL Honorable Mention, Slader Basso LB 6-0-185 WCAL Honorable Mention.

Conclusion and what to expect:
Overall on paper it appears Mitty will have to do all it can to retain its spot of #5 in WCAL unless of course the new players coming up to varsity surprise. Mitty loses a lot in the way of skill players graduating WR’s, RB’s and their field-general Tran the QB. While Tran had a strong arm he was not a big threat in running the ball downfield. It is likely we’ll see a more athletic QB behind center this season for Mitty and one who will pose a bit more of a threat in running when the opportunity presents itself. Mitty had 3 Juniors listed as able to play the QB position so interesting to see who competes in pre-season & who they come up with. In replacing the QB, RB’s and WR’s it is difficult to envision Mitty reloading from a JV team that went 1-9 and having much of an explosive offense. This season looks for Mitty to be passing considerably less than 2016 and using multiple RB’s to spread the ball around. Mitty’s coaching responded well at the end of 2016 and I again think the Monarch coaches will do the very best with what they’ve got to work with.

Next Up: Bellarmine “Bells”

Last edited:
2017 Bellarmine Bells

Does Bellarmine return to prominence in the WCAL in 2017?

For the largest boys private in NorCal the odds likely say YES to this question. Bellarmine is and has been so successful throughout their programs, athletic and otherwise its just an unwise choice to bet against the Bell’s. Without looking I would say across the board in all sports the Bell’s likely rival or surpass the Spartan’s of DLS [if you doubt me simply look up their history in swimming – unbelieveable!]. So back to football and this 2017 season. A Bell’s team that went 4-3 in WCAL and 7-5 overall is not the “norm” at all. Their coaching staff is excellent year in and out and makes the best use of what they have. Whether big or smaller rosters Coach Janda is a master at rotation of players and which are capable of playing both ways, which often the best Bell’s players do. In 2016 in what was a rare year for Bellarmine the teams of VC and Serra were historically good and SF was no slouch as well and in the end Bellarmine simply didn’t have th horses to compete, as evident in the last gasp 21-0 shut-out out by Menlo-Atherton post season play eliminating & ending the Bell’s 2016 season.

2016 Bell’s senior’s not returning this season:Ike Ogbogu – QB First Team All WCAL, Jackson Burrill – FB/LB First Team All WCAL, Justin Malone TE/LB First Team All WCAL, Bobby Fachino OL/LB First Team All WCAL, Tyler Gallis WR/DB First Team All WCAL, Scott Baumel 2nd Team All WCAL, Jack Geiger DT/Kicker 2nd Team All WCAL, Peter Ciari OL/DL WCAL Honorable Mention, Dimitris Tsatalos Kicker WCAL Honorable Mention.

CadeHall – WCAL MVP Defensive Lineman, Austin Ajiake RB/LB 2nd Team All WCAL.

OK its obvious in that the Bell’s do not return a solid core of skill players from last season. Of the Bell’s 2016 roster of 46 players [which is not deep BTW] they lose 22 senior’s or nearly ½ their squad. The Bell’s had one of the better JV’s at 4-2 league and 6-3-1 overall and Frosh at 5-4 were respectable. For such a large private the Bell’s have had smaller rosters in recent years and used 2-way players to an extent which is surprising at times. Because of the size of the student body it is hard to rule out the Bell’s as they have a history of reloading very well most years’. In 2016 Bellarmine simply didn’t not have the star players they’re accustomed to having such as one brilliant QB after another who can both scramble and throw [and this is not to say the 2016 QB Ike Ogbogu was not an excellent athlete most teams would have loved to have]. What the Bell’s lacked was a formidable passing game and a go-to RB last season. Without the components of an offense that can score at any time the Bell’s simply could not out-score the other top teams and their “D” seemed to run out of gas by season’s end from too much time on the field. It appears that if the Bell’s don’t successfully reload that Mitty will def give Bellarmine a run for their money and perhaps one of the SF teams as well – though I wouldn’t bet the house on that just yet.

Next Up: Serra Padre’s

Last edited:
Reactions: Defense_Rules
Another Bellarmine note: When it comes to academics, it's doubtful that any other WCAL school matches up with the College Park crowd. Just check the complete list of 2017 National Merit Scholars. Very impressive. Maybe those guys can't block and tackle or run a 9.9 hundred, but, mercy, they do know their Jesuit ABC's.

Another Bellarmine note: When it comes to academics, it's doubtful that any other WCAL school matches up with the College Park crowd. Just check the complete list of 2017 National Merit Scholars. Very impressive. Maybe those guys can't block and tackle or run a 9.9 hundred, but, mercy, they do know their Jesuit ABC's.
Impressive academic achievements ColHenry. But I gotta give it up to the young men on Phelan Ave and their academic achievements...as these are young men of color growing up in some of the most dangerous and disadvantaged areas of SF. rising up early, taking the bus, going to practice, staying late to finish their class assignments and then taking the late night bus home. Several of these young men are pulling 4.0 GPAs as they know athletics are not the end all be all...These kids may not always win on the field, but they are winning in life.

Reactions: rabbit5
Impressive academic achievements ColHenry. But I gotta give it up to the young men on Phelan Ave and their academic achievements...as these are young men of color growing up in some of the most dangerous and disadvantaged areas of SF. rising up early, taking the bus, going to practice, staying late to finish their class assignments and then taking the late night bus home. Several of these young men are pulling 4.0 GPAs as they know athletics are not the end all be all...These kids may not always win on the field, but they are winning in life.

Very good stuff. Kudos to any student who overcomes challenges and succeeds.

I think its time for some new computers for Freeman's-CalPreps rating system OR the person inputting the data is smoking something.

Unless S.I. bolsters that roster upwards of 50 players and some new talent emerges the Wildcats most definitely are not going to finish anywhere close to 4th in WCAL without a minor miracle [lots of Our Fathers & plenty of Hail Mary's]..
I don't get it. SI is clearly weaker than last season. MaxPreps has them ranked above Bellarmine. Expect that to change soon.

Looking at the info I used for my preview of S.I. it does not appear the team will show a vast improvement over last season.
New skill players incl QB and at this time showing a rather meager roster by WCAL standards S.I. is facing an uphill challenge it seems. I'll soon finish the previews and post my predictions of how the teams will rank at end of season. I'll also be looking at the opening games to see what the likely outcomes will be.

SI remains a very well coached and conditioned team, though their talent seems to have dropped with the exception of the jr. lineman. Add to their always challenging non-league - they will be prepared for WCAL play.

SI remains a very well coached and conditioned team, though their talent seems to have dropped with the exception of the jr. lineman. Add to their always challenging non-league - they will be prepared for WCAL play.

Our Crusaders take down SI this year jordan24, they have bodies over there, only bodies.

You're too diplomatic, Jordan 24...

I have S.I. as a toss-up this season as to the 3 WCAL teams seeking SF Suprmacy. Both ARHS & SHC are looking to dethrone S.I. as the reigning SF football power & could likely happen.

2017 Serra Padres

Minus Leki Nunn how will Serra respond to a brutal pre-season & WCAL season in ’17?

Serra started their 2016 season with 4 straight losses before reeling off a school record 10 wins and losing by 2 points in a state bowl game to finish 10-5. For 2017 Serra again faces an uphill battle with 3 very tough opponents of which the first 2 games are on the road against St. Mary’s-Stockton & Elk Grove before finishing at home against Pitt. The team this year will be without its main weapon without its former QB Leki Nunn. While Nunn could throw and was also an elusive runner this Serra team looks to be a bit more conventional with several good drop back passing QB’s. As noticed by other fans of this board Serra is deep at the QB position with 3 very good ones [likely the deepest at this position in NorCal]. Like last season I do not think winning all games such as the pre-season contests are the priority of coach Walsh as the WCAL crown is the prize Serra is most after, and then whatever comes of that. Serra ended the 2016 season with the 3rd best record overall yet is considered possibly the best team for that season with Valley Christian running neck in neck with the Padres [VC had only 2 losses by a total of 7 points and could have quite possibly gone undefeated]. So this will be an interesting season for Serra if only for the QB’s they have stacked up. Likely Walsh will give all 3 playing time early on against quality opponents to see how they perform under pressure. Of the 3 Luke Bottari played very well in 2016 playing several complete games and also with time against St. Mary’s, DLS & Pitt so Walsh knows what he is capable of. The senior Jack Damelio played very well as a soph in 2015 throwing for 2 TD’s against DLS [only QB to do so that season] and was lost to a season ending injury in 2016. The 3rd QB Michael Churich is 6’5 and gives the Padres yet another option of a big QB with a strong arm.

2016 Padre senior’s not returning this season: Leki Nunn QB – All NorCal, All-Metro, All WCAL, 3-year starter for Padres, TC Lavulo RB/LB – WCAL MVP-LB, Taniela Latu -SS First Team All WCAL, Joshua Fernando OL/DL First Team All WCAL, Ryan Matoso LB First Team All WCAL, Clark Chase OL/DL 2nd Team All WCAL, Jovan Johnson DB 2nd Team All WCAL, Shamir WilsonDB 2nd Team All WCAL, James Halpin DE WCAL Honorable Mention, Kepu FonuaOL/DL WCAL Honorable Mention, Josaiah Tafilele OL/DL WCAL Honorable Mention. So 11 players of impact who by themselves would form a solid core on most other teams.

Much more importantly: Who is returning for 2017?

Luke Bottari #1 QB, Jack Damelio #2 QB. Michael Churich #3 QB & All can change positions/ rankings at any time, so take your pick, though odds on Bottari at this time. Isiah Kendrick RB First team All WCAL & Serra’s premiere RB last season, Shane Villoroman WR First Team All WCAL and Serra’s Go-To WR last season, Antonio Mafi OL/DL First Team All WCAL and BIG component on both sides of ball, E.J. Lahlouh LB WCAL Honorable Mention, Josaiah Tefilele OL/DL WCAL Honorable Mention. Patrick Nunn WR the younger bigger brother of Leki Nunn gaining the attention of more than a couple colleges at the next level [6’3-200 will always get attention if athletic as Patrick is].

So obviously from what you’ve seen Serra loses a lot of talent yet returns quite a bit as well. Starting with the 3 QB’s mentioned Serra is loaded at the QB position. Kendricks the Padres big-play RB returns as well. Villaroman & Nunn are the WCAL’s best WR combo hands down at this point. Serra loses a bevy of lineman but returns many and help on the way from lower division teams. Serra had a full roster at 57 players last season and loses 19, which leaves 38 players returning including the back-up QB who is battle-tested, the starting RB and both WR’s. The only question is Defense and that will be answered in the first game vs St. Mary’s. Is Serra’s D able to contain a strong D-line and RB such as St. Mary’s and RB Dusty Frampton – who torched the Padres last season on Serra’s home field for 4 TD’s and was unstoppable? Serra will need to gain penetration at the line as once big & speedy Frampton gets beyond it will not be pretty.

Serra will again be a team to contend with and has very good talent. The loss of Leki Nunn changes the chemistry & we’ll wait & see if Serra retains some of the magic from last season. Get ready Padre fans for another exciting season!

Next Up: St. Francis Lancer’s

Last edited:
Serra's line will actually be pretty big. You have Mafi, SHCP transfer, and a big kid who took last year off to concentrate on track, WCAL Shot put champion, is back out on the field. I also heard they brought up the 6'5" 220 pound soph Nusi.

SI and Riordan are suppose to have really good incoming freshman classes

Reactions: jordan24 and Rmbr26
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT