ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

By halfway thru state title game Serra was minus at least four starters -- UCLA signee and WCAL player of year Mafi, playmaking sophomore DB Sanchez, DL Redmond and massive offensive lineman hurt against Cajon whose name escapes me (last name begins with a T). Padre depth, conditioning and game-planning paid off.

Sanchez did play but the lineman they lost in the first half was Moses Tomeilau. They also lost starting d Lineman Caled Tuimavave due to school disciplinary reasons. At the end there were 3 Sophomores playing in the Defensive backfield and one on the D Line Nusi Malani who will be a big time D 1 prospect.

Hey, lest we just take the Rambling Man's yearly WCAL football efforts for granted, let's hand him some well-deserved kudos. At last check, this popular thread has well over 73,000 views. Nothing else on the site is remotely close to that figure, unless I'm mis-reading the viewing history. This guy deserves a finder's fee for crying out loud.

Thank you colhenrylives, FBAddict & dcpanda for your kind words & much appreciated. I'm not sure how I got started doing this 5-seasons' ago, but yes this was year 5 of WCAL Football. While I like most sports and football is my favorite, over the years I have come to really appreciate HS in particular & having coach Walsh running the program at Serra helped in my interest as well [waiting for the day Serra would get a win against SF & end "The Curse" for which I went to many games].

In terms of views the lowest was 3 seasons ago when Serra was banned from the playoffs resulting in a shorter season which resulted in 52,000+ views. The highest of 102,000+ was actually 2013 when Serra won the Open Div for CCS and then played in their first ever sectional playoff game losing to Del Oro by a score.

It is interesting how the league and players continue to change and also to see many of the same posters responses year to year. This year was special with 2 WCAL teams winning state divison titles. I always appreciate the comments and insight from all of the fans as otherwise I would have to keep responding to my own posts [which I do anyway sometimes ;)

Hey, lest we just take the Rambling Man's yearly WCAL football efforts for granted, let's hand him some well-deserved kudos. At last check, this popular thread has well over 73,000 views. Nothing else on the site is remotely close to that figure, unless I'm mis-reading the viewing history. This guy deserves a finder's fee for crying out loud.
Agree! Thanks Rmbr26 for your WCAL insight and not fake news. Lol! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Agree! Thanks Rmbr26 for your WCAL insight and not fake news. Lol! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Thanks jordan24 & best wishes to you & your family as well. Been a fun year again and already looking forward next year.
Should be a good 2018 all around.

Just saw this comment from Spartanwhoknows in the Pitt 2018 schedule thread regarding Serra next season:

"Watch out for Dylan Eaton next year in addition to Coker, Lahlouh and Sanchez at running back. Eaton was the JV QB and ran past almost every team. Serra will have plenty of running backs."

So Spartanwhoknows evidently knows Serra well to have good knowledge of their JV team which finished 1rst in WCAL this past season. I wonder if colhenry or any other Serra knowledgeable fan could shed some light on one Dylan Eaton - more of a runner than a passer? Somehow I just don't see the JV QB moving ahead of Bottari ;)

Just saw this comment from Spartanwhoknows in the Pitt 2018 schedule thread regarding Serra next season:

"Watch out for Dylan Eaton next year in addition to Coker, Lahlouh and Sanchez at running back. Eaton was the JV QB and ran past almost every team. Serra will have plenty of running backs."

So Spartanwhoknows evidently knows Serra well to have good knowledge of their JV team which finished 1rst in WCAL this past season. I wonder if colhenry or any other Serra knowledgeable fan could shed some light on one Dylan Eaton - more of a runner than a passer? Somehow I just don't see the JV QB moving ahead of Bottari ;)
Based on overall quality of their football programs at all levels - the usual suspects have good lower level teams to reload. St. Francis, Mitty, Serra, VC are tops with Bells, SI and Riordan having some good talent to fit into the varsity rosters.
The Crusaders return 25 varsity players and all but one player of its O-line and will add to the OL/DL from both JV and Frosh. JV RB Noel Lee should be a good compliment to the returning RBs in L. Mezie and Ugbaja. QB will be very interesting as Riordan has 2 Frosh that could capably play in Azzan Ledbetter and Filipe Bradzil. Ledbetter dazzled in Frosh play (ask the Bellarmine and Serra fans) and Bradzil showed flashes at the JV level. Ledbetter played QB for the SF Warriors and has a real command at the position. 2 jrs to be will also vie for the qb. position. Soph to be 6-1 Chris Whiley is a WR similar to Je'Lani Clark and will make up a formidable WR pair. Both are high level basketball players too.
Will be interesting to see if Riordan continues scheduling teams like Central Catholic, Cardinal Newman (lower levels), and Napa next season vs. looking at scheduling lesser teams in order to boost its record in order to "game" the CCS post-season formula. Is it August yet! Lol. Happy Holidays to all!

Last edited:
Quite a forecast on Crusaders jordan & sounds very optimistic reading about upcoming players incl frosh QB.
Bell's the largest WCAL school had their worst season in memory & will be interesting to see how they regroup after last 2 seasons.
S.I. Finished strong which is always a good sign after losing to both ARHS & SHC. Speaking of Irish it will be an adjustment to not see Will Irons on the field. Overall Riordan looks to be in a good position of the 3 SF teams. VC had the unenviable position of a blow-out loss in league to Serra only to face rhe Padres again in playoffs & suffer a similar fate - one of the top CCS teams not to advance to NorCal. VC will be better in 2018 with their #2 QB from this season who can throw. Mitty is questionable as well in terms of what they return from this past roster.
Serra & SF will once again return "heavy" rosters.

Based on overall quality of their football programs at all levels - the usual suspects have good lower level teams to reload. St. Francis, Mitty, Serra, VC are tops with Bells, SI and Riordan having some good talent to fit into the varsity rosters.
The Crusaders return 25 varsity players and all but one player of its O-line and will add to the OL/DL from both JV and Frosh. JV RB Noel Lee should be a good compliment to the returning RBs in L. Mezie and Ugbaja. QB will be very interesting as Riordan has 2 Frosh that could capably play in Azzan Ledbetter and Filipe Bradzil. Ledbetter dazzled in Frosh play (ask the Bellarmine and Serra fans) and Bradzil showed flashes at the JV level. Ledbetter played QB for the SF Warriors and has a real command at the position. 2 jrs to be will also vie for the qb. position. Soph to be 6-1 Chris Whiley is a WR similar to Je'Lani Clark and will make up a formidable WR pair. Both are high level basketball players too.
Will be interesting to see if Riordan continues scheduling teams like Central Catholic, Cardinal Newman (lower levels), and Napa next season vs. looking at scheduling lesser teams in order to boost its record in order to "game" the CCS post-season formula. Is it August yet! Lol. Happy Holidays to all!
How many freshman were on jv for riordan??

Most of the WCAL schools don't post roster info on JV's and frosh and those that do provide very little [such as no class designation on JV's in regards to frosh vs soph's and in past years' juniors. I'm not sure how many schools advance frosh onto their JV teams although some frosh jump direct to varsity their soph year. ARHS's roster showed 31 players on JV.

Most of the WCAL schools don't post roster info on JV's and frosh and those that do provide very little [such as no class designation on JV's in regards to frosh vs soph's and in past years' juniors. I'm not sure how many schools advance frosh onto their JV teams although some frosh jump direct to varsity their soph year. ARHS's roster showed 31 players on JV.
According to the Riordan Athletics website, 6 sophs were on Varsity all seeing significant minutes or starters. Soph QB Abdelghani left team after brutal late shot to the head incurred against Central Catholic. 2 Frosh played JVs.

Bay Area News Group/Mercury News All Bay Area Team Selections - Offense Selections:

These selections are from Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, San Mateo counties. While the south bay & east bay dominate the majority of selections a number of CCS players garnered some of the highest honors. I'll mention the local players whom most fans in this area would recognize and post the link to full article as well.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/27/prep-football-all-bay-area-news-group-offensive-team/

* Will list Defense selections separately.

NOTE: For those of you unfamiliar this is not a "true" All Bay Area team as there are some sections of the north/east bay that are excluded. Also the selections are made by the "Bay Area News Group High School Staff" which may or may not be familiar many teams or players outside their locale other than by stats as reported. Any list may have omissions of some deserving players and this one will is no different [but not bad overall]. The best All Bay Area list will be the upcoming "SF Chron All Bay Area Metro Team Selections". Usually this is the "best of the best" list and many of the 1rst team selections listed in the Mercury News likely won't make the SF Chron All Metro list as it includes the areas excluded by the Mercury News/Bay Area News Group.

Player of Year: Tariq Bracy - Milpitas 6'0-170 senior RB, WR, DB, KR

Offensive Player of Year: Darrel Page - St. Francis 5'10-185 junior RB

Coach of Year: Patrick Walsh - Serra

First Team QB: Luke Bottari - Serra
5'10-185 junior QB

First Team RB: Chase Hofmann - HMB 6.0-180 senior
First Team RB: Isiah Kendricks - Serra 5'11-175 senior

First Team WR: Patrick Nunn - Serra 6'3-215 senior

First Team O-Line: Tyler Manoa - St. Francis 6'5-294 senior

2nd Team QB: Gavin Tomberline - HMB 6'1 -180 senior

3rd Team RB: Charlie Bostic - Valley Christian 6'0-170 senior
3rd Team WR: Alton Julian - Valley Christian 6'3-190 senior
3rd Team WR: Hayden Von Almen - HMB 6'3-185 senior
3rd Team OL: Ricky Camacho - HMB 5'11-235 senior
3rd Team OL: Ian Iapueleulu - Aragon 6'1-276

Looking over the selections Alton Julian as a 3rd team selection is one of the best WR's in CCS, but played for VC who rarely passes. Still Alton Julian scored 12 TD's and had an APC ["average per catch"] of nearly 32 yards - the highest in the CCS. Given the choice I'd def have Julian as one of my selections. One player who didn't receive any recognition is Serra's WR Shane Villeroman. Villleroman who was injured several games still had respectable stats and while this Serra team broke numerous records for scoring and yards, Villeroman ended the season as Serra's All Time reception leader. Villeroman, Chris Park and Patrick Nunn of Serra comprised the best threesome of WR's in the CCS IMO.

Last edited:
Bay Area News Group/Mercury News All Bay Area Team Selections - Offense Selections:

These selections are from Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, San Mateo counties. While the north bay & east bay dominate the majority of selections a number of CCS players garnered some of the highest honors. I'll mention the local players whom most fans in this area would recognize and post the link to full article as well.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/27/prep-football-all-bay-area-news-group-offensive-team/

* Will list Defense selections separately.

NOTE: For those of you unfamiliar this is not a "true" All Bay Area team as there are some sections of the north/east bay that are excluded. Also the selections are made by the "Bay Area News Group High School Staff" which may or may not be familiar many teams or players outside their locale other than by stats as reported. Any list may have omissions of some deserving players and this one will is no different [but not bad overall]. The best All Bay Area list will be the upcoming "SF Chron All Bay Area Metro Team Selections". Usually this is the "best of the best" list and many of the 1rst team selections listed in the Mercury News likely won't make the SF Chron All Metro list as it includes the areas excluded by the Mercury News/Bay Area News Group.

Player of Year: Tariq Bracy - Milpitas 6'0-170 senior RB, WR, DB, KR

Offensive Player of Year: Darrel Page - St. Francis 5'10-185 junior RB

Coach of Year: Patrick Walsh - Serra

First Team QB: Luke Bottari - Serra
5'10-185 junior QB

First Team RB: Chase Hofmann - HMB 6.0-180 senior
First Team RB: Isiah Kendricks - Serra 5'11-175 senior

First Team WR: Patrick Nunn - Serra 6'3-215 senior

First Team O-Line: Tyler Manoa - St. Francis 6'5-294 senior

2nd Team QB: Gavin Tomberline - HMB 6'1 -180 senior

3rd Team RB: Charlie Bostic - Valley Christian 6'0-170 senior
3rd Team WR: Alton Julian - Valley Christian 6'3-190 senior
3rd Team WR: Hayden Von Almen - HMB 6'3-185 senior
3rd Team OL: Ricky Camacho - HMB 5'11-235 senior
3rd Team OL: Ian Iapueleulu - Aragon 6'1-276

Looking over the selections Alton Julian as a 3rd team selection is one of the best WR's in CCS, but played for VC who rarely passes. Still Alton Julian scored 12 TD's and had an APC ["average per catch"] of nearly 32 yards - the highest in the CCS. Given the choice I'd def have Julian as one of my selections. One player who didn't receive any recognition is Serra's WR Shane Villeroman. Villleroman who was injured several games still had respectable stats and while this Serra team broke numerous records for scoring and yards, Villeroman ended the season as Serra's All Time reception leader. Villeroman, Chris Park and Patrick Nunn of Serra comprised the best threesome of WR's in the CCS IMO.
I think Villaroman is happy to be wearing that State ring this season. He was tremendous last year for the Padres - stats wise.

Bay Area News Group/Mercury News All Bay Area Team Selections - Defense Selections:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/27/high-school-football-all-bay-area-news-group-defensive-team/

As with the Offense I'll list the local players from the CCS that most fans would be familiar with, since overall the selections are dominated by players from east/north bay teams.

First Team Defense:
De'Angelo McKenzie - Valley Christian 5'11-175 DB senior
Nio Mafi - Serra 6'3-360 DL senior
RJ Stone - Valley Christian 6'3-210 DL senior
Opeti Fangupo - St. Francis 5'10-230 LB senior
Dylan Williams - Half Moon Bay 5'11-164 Kicker & KR senior

2nd Team Defense:
Josh Pakola - St. Francis 6'3-230 DL senior
Edmund Lahlouh - Serra 6.0-200 LB junior

3rd Team Defense:
Chris Park - Serra 5'11-175 DB senior
Nick Alftin - Mitty 6'6-245 DL senior
Austin Ajiake - Bellarmine 6'2-215 LB senior
Junior Fehoko - St. Francis 6'4-240 LB senior

* One player who was seemingly overlooked:
Evan Williams - St. Francis 5'11-180 DB/WR junior one of the best 2-way players in WCAL who caught 2 TD passes in the state title game for SF.

Of the players selected Serra had a total of 6 players with St. Francis having 5 and VC having 4, Bells & Mitty 1@.

There are no north bay teams, just south and east bay. BANG subscription area only.

Guess BANG shows players selected from Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, San Mateo Counties only. I mentioned this in the post with the Offense selections, but then misquoted on the following post regarding the areas again [guess I was thinking "north coast". The main area omitted would then be SF if this is an "All Bay Area Team".

As for other north bay teams/players being omitted that would only pertain to Marin County of which there are 7 major high schools not included: Marin Catholic, Novato, San Marin, San Rafael, Tamalpais, Terra Linda & Redwood. After looking at it other than SF it does cover most of the bay area - wonder why they could not incl the SF schools even if out of their subscription service area?

SF Chron's Best of the Best All Metro Football Selections:

The WCAL placed 7 players on first team offense & defense which I believe is the highest number of players ever selected to the 1rst team. Take a look at the teams & see what you think keeping in mind these selections cover all the actual bay area teams as opposed to Bay Area News Group which omits a large section [north coast] & instead covers Santa Clara/San Jose Counties. From past history there will be many players who made 1rst team in their respective leagues who do not make Honorable Mention in the Chron's selection of Top Bay Area Players.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/artic...m_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social

WCAL Selections: Serra = 3, SF = 2, VC =2

First Team Offense: Darrel Page RB - St. Francis, Isaiah Kendrick RB - Serra, Nio Mafi OL - Serra, Tyler Manoa OL - St. Francis

First Team Defense: RJ Stone DL - Valley Christian, D'Angelo McKenzie DB - Valley Christian, Patrick Nunn Athlete - Serra

Serra also has returning senior 6-6, 220lb Michael Churich (backup this last season) as a potential starter next season. The son of former Cal quarterback Ken Churich stood out at several camps. Will be interesting if he is recruited for football or baseball. Will he stay at Serra? Serra looks like they will reload for next season.

Serra also has returning senior 6-6, 220lb Michael Churich (backup this last season) as a potential starter next season. The son of former Cal quarterback Ken Churich stood out at several camps. Will be interesting if he is recruited for football or baseball. Will he stay at Serra? Serra looks like they will reload for next season.

NorCal - Not ot be critical of the back-up Churich, but there is no way he will take away the job from Bottari next season.
Bottari's stats over 2 seasons have been simply amazing and he will likely hold many of Serra's passing records after next season unless an injury occurs. Also unfortunately the other QB Jack Damelio was injured early both the last 2 seasons and otherwise Damelio likely would have been #2 on the depth chart. Churich has the size colleges are looking for, but Bottari after 2 seasons knows Serra's system well and is the best person to run it. I am a bit vague on Churich and his past experience in FB if anyone can enlighten me. With the benefit of his added size [he is huge] I was hoping Walsh could switch him to possibly as TE position or even safety if he could run well enough. Not too many HS DB's could defend a 6'5 TE on short routes.

NorCal - Not ot be critical of the back-up Churich, but there is no way he will take away the job from Bottari next season.
Bottari's stats over 2 seasons have been simply amazing and he will likely hold many of Serra's passing records after next season unless an injury occurs. Also unfortunately the other QB Jack Damelio was injured early both the last 2 seasons and otherwise Damelio likely would have been #2 on the depth chart. Churich has the size colleges are looking for, but Bottari after 2 seasons knows Serra's system well and is the best person to run it. I am a bit vague on Churich and his past experience in FB if anyone can enlighten me. With the benefit of his added size [he is huge] I was hoping Walsh could switch him to possibly as TE position or even safety if he could run well enough. Not too many HS DB's could defend a 6'5 TE on short routes.

Didn't we hear this same theory this past August? And we know how that turned out.

Yes at the beginning of the season someone quoted Churich's size and said he looked good in scrimmages and would compete for the starting job. I guess anything is possible - seeing Nick Saban yank his 2-year starter in the 2nd 1/2 of the national championship for a "true freshman" goes to show you if things go south coaches will make changes quickly.
Najee Harris looked very good for having had minimal playing time this season.

I'm just hearing Churich may be a D1 QB based on regional Opening and will see in camps this year. Wonder if he is serious about football and may transfer to play if he doesn't start? Maybe play baseball instead? Seems Serra is in a good QB position for the next 2 years at least with the JV QB.

Yes would agree in regards to Serra over the next 2 years. As for QB for next season a lot can happen between now and then, but Bottari looks to be secure in that position. I don't know Churich's talent level, but I'm sure many other coaches would like a shot at developing him. Then again if he's a baseball player Serra is not the worst place to be.

"SERRA FOOTBALL - NEVER BETTER!" State Bowl Game coverage by Sports Stars Magazine
Isiah-Kendrick03-copy.jpg

The Word ‘Never’ Was Used A Lot Among The Serra Football Team In 2017 — A Team Never Short On Resilience Or Talent •
Story by CHACE BRYSON | Photos by JAMES K. LEASH

Patrick Walsh called his 2017 Serra High football team the Team of Never.
Partially because the many things the Padres of San Mateo accomplished this season never came easy.
And also, more importantly, many of those same things had never been accomplished by any of the Serra teams which came before the group.

That, of course, includes winning a CIF State Championship now.

“Everything we did, we did it the hard way,” Walsh said following his team’s 38-14 win over Cajon-San Bernardino in the 2-AA State Bowl Championship on Dec. 15 at Sacramento State. “We’ve never done this, we’ve never done that. … We’ve never won 13 games in a season, and now we’ve erased kind of the big dog. We’ve never won a state championship is now gone.

Isiah-Kendrick01-copy-272x300.jpg

Isiah Kendrick scored four touchdowns in helping lead the Padres to their first CIF State Bowl win.
Of course that didn’t come all that easy either.
With a 14-0 first half lead gone after Cajon tied the game 14-14 with a 99-yard drive late in the third quarter, the Padres weren’t quite in a tailspin, but the engine was sputtering. That’s when junior Malakai Rango delivered the game-changing play by returning the ensuing kickoff 72 yards to the Cajon 2-yard line to set up David Coker’s go-ahead touchdown run. It was the first of 24 unanswered points to close out a 38-14 win for the program’s first state bowl title.

“You definitely felt the momentum shifted automatically to our side,” Serra running back Isiah Kendrick said of the return. “I’ll never forget that.”
Fans of Serra football won’t soon be forgetting Kendrick’s performance in the game, either.
The senior racked up 180 yards of total offense and scored four touchdowns on the night. He gave the Padres a 14-0 lead with the first two scores of the game, a 14-yard screen pass midway through the first quarter and a 2-yard run with 5:30 to go in the first half.

Meanwhile, the Serra defense was doing everything short of Jedi mind tricks on a Cajon offense that came into the game with video-game like numbers.

The Cowboys (14-2) came into the game averaging just shy of 49 points a game. One week earlier they defeated Rancho Verde-Moreno Valley 70-23 in the Southern regional game, scoring 50 in the first half. Quarterback Jayden Daniels entered the game having thrown for nearly 5,000 yards and 61 touchdown passes. His favorite target, 6-foot-8 receiver Darren Jones, had caught 92 balls for 1,962 yards and 27 touchdowns.

“They had some guys,” Serra defensive coordinator Chris Vassar said. “I’ve never seen high school football players like that. We literally almost had to completely change our defense. I’m just completely stunned right now.”

A Hail Mary throw to Jones on the last play of the half got Cajon on the board, but the Cowboys 99-yard scoring drive in the third quarter was the only possession in which they had any sustained offensive success.

Edmond-Lahlouh-copy-200x300.jpg

Junior linebacker Edmond Lahlouh heads the other way after a first-half interception in the CIF 2-AA State Bowl.

“I’d call that a defensive masterpiece,” Walsh said. “A defensive masterpiece for the ages. Coach Chris Vasser is one of the most talented coaches in high school football. The kids believe in him. The kids performed. It was a great game plan.”

The championship victory healed the wounds of last season when the Padres lost the CIF 2-A State Bowl 42-40 to Sierra Canyon-Chatsworth on the same field. The 2017 win also was the first in CIF State Bowl victory in seven tries for the renown West Coast Athletic League. St. Francis-Mountain View would add a second one night later.

As far as Walsh was concerned though, this championship belonged solely to his Team of Never.

“It’s a historic league, but this is internal,” the 17-year coach of the Padres said. “I love the league and I love my colleagues, but this is something to be celebrated inside the walls of Serra High School right now. I said that last year when we lost, we’re not going to wear the banner of losing for the WCAL and or winning it.”

After Coker put Serra ahead for good with 2:45 left in the third quarter, Kendrick would add sandwich touchdown runs of 1 and 5 yards around a 39-yard Damon Lewis field goal. Kendrick finished the night with 110 yards rushing on 26 carries and 70 yards receiving on four catches. Coker rushed for 140 yards on 13 touches.

“It was a crazy intense game,” said Kendrick, who had 180 yards of total offense, including 110 on the ground with three scores. “When it came down to it, our conditioning paid off and who was stronger out front paid off.”

Patrick-Nunn-copy-218x300.jpg

Patrick Nunn made plays on both sides of the ball in the CIF State Bowl, which included his first ever work at cornerback.

Defensively, Serra’s stars included junior linebacker Edmond Lahlouh. He led the Padres with 14 tackles while adding 2.5 sacks and an interception (just Daniels’ fifth all season). Tevesi Vakalahi finished with 11 tackles and a fumble recovery that Serra would eventually capitalize on for the first score of the game.

And then there was Patrick Nunn, a senior who drew the assignment of guarding Jones. In his first game ever at cornerback.

“Oh my God. Patrick Nunn,” Walsh said. “First game ever playing corner against an NFL-potential wide receiver. Well, maybe we have an NFL-potential corner out there. It was unbelievable the effort he put into his trade. He’d never practiced corner.”

Jones caught nine passes in the championship, including the Hail Mary touchdown, but Nunn denied a handful of other big catches. One of those denials was on a fade route jump ball on fourth-and-goal midway through the second quarter.

“Phenomenal,” Kendrick said about Nunn, who also caught three passes for 33 yards on offense. “Coach threw him in there on Monday and he learned it like that. He’s an athlete.”

It was a move that just seemed to fit — with the Team of Never.

For all you wcal fans, qb kj carta samuels transfers from University of Washington to UCLA.

"SERRA FOOTBALL - NEVER BETTER!" State Bowl Game coverage by Sports Stars Magazine
Isiah-Kendrick03-copy.jpg

The Word ‘Never’ Was Used A Lot Among The Serra Football Team In 2017 — A Team Never Short On Resilience Or Talent •
Story by CHACE BRYSON | Photos by JAMES K. LEASH

Patrick Walsh called his 2017 Serra High football team the Team of Never.
Partially because the many things the Padres of San Mateo accomplished this season never came easy.
And also, more importantly, many of those same things had never been accomplished by any of the Serra teams which came before the group.

That, of course, includes winning a CIF State Championship now.

“Everything we did, we did it the hard way,” Walsh said following his team’s 38-14 win over Cajon-San Bernardino in the 2-AA State Bowl Championship on Dec. 15 at Sacramento State. “We’ve never done this, we’ve never done that. … We’ve never won 13 games in a season, and now we’ve erased kind of the big dog. We’ve never won a state championship is now gone.

Isiah-Kendrick01-copy-272x300.jpg

Isiah Kendrick scored four touchdowns in helping lead the Padres to their first CIF State Bowl win.
Of course that didn’t come all that easy either.
With a 14-0 first half lead gone after Cajon tied the game 14-14 with a 99-yard drive late in the third quarter, the Padres weren’t quite in a tailspin, but the engine was sputtering. That’s when junior Malakai Rango delivered the game-changing play by returning the ensuing kickoff 72 yards to the Cajon 2-yard line to set up David Coker’s go-ahead touchdown run. It was the first of 24 unanswered points to close out a 38-14 win for the program’s first state bowl title.

“You definitely felt the momentum shifted automatically to our side,” Serra running back Isiah Kendrick said of the return. “I’ll never forget that.”
Fans of Serra football won’t soon be forgetting Kendrick’s performance in the game, either.
The senior racked up 180 yards of total offense and scored four touchdowns on the night. He gave the Padres a 14-0 lead with the first two scores of the game, a 14-yard screen pass midway through the first quarter and a 2-yard run with 5:30 to go in the first half.

Meanwhile, the Serra defense was doing everything short of Jedi mind tricks on a Cajon offense that came into the game with video-game like numbers.

The Cowboys (14-2) came into the game averaging just shy of 49 points a game. One week earlier they defeated Rancho Verde-Moreno Valley 70-23 in the Southern regional game, scoring 50 in the first half. Quarterback Jayden Daniels entered the game having thrown for nearly 5,000 yards and 61 touchdown passes. His favorite target, 6-foot-8 receiver Darren Jones, had caught 92 balls for 1,962 yards and 27 touchdowns.

“They had some guys,” Serra defensive coordinator Chris Vassar said. “I’ve never seen high school football players like that. We literally almost had to completely change our defense. I’m just completely stunned right now.”

A Hail Mary throw to Jones on the last play of the half got Cajon on the board, but the Cowboys 99-yard scoring drive in the third quarter was the only possession in which they had any sustained offensive success.

Edmond-Lahlouh-copy-200x300.jpg

Junior linebacker Edmond Lahlouh heads the other way after a first-half interception in the CIF 2-AA State Bowl.

“I’d call that a defensive masterpiece,” Walsh said. “A defensive masterpiece for the ages. Coach Chris Vasser is one of the most talented coaches in high school football. The kids believe in him. The kids performed. It was a great game plan.”

The championship victory healed the wounds of last season when the Padres lost the CIF 2-A State Bowl 42-40 to Sierra Canyon-Chatsworth on the same field. The 2017 win also was the first in CIF State Bowl victory in seven tries for the renown West Coast Athletic League. St. Francis-Mountain View would add a second one night later.

As far as Walsh was concerned though, this championship belonged solely to his Team of Never.

“It’s a historic league, but this is internal,” the 17-year coach of the Padres said. “I love the league and I love my colleagues, but this is something to be celebrated inside the walls of Serra High School right now. I said that last year when we lost, we’re not going to wear the banner of losing for the WCAL and or winning it.”

After Coker put Serra ahead for good with 2:45 left in the third quarter, Kendrick would add sandwich touchdown runs of 1 and 5 yards around a 39-yard Damon Lewis field goal. Kendrick finished the night with 110 yards rushing on 26 carries and 70 yards receiving on four catches. Coker rushed for 140 yards on 13 touches.

“It was a crazy intense game,” said Kendrick, who had 180 yards of total offense, including 110 on the ground with three scores. “When it came down to it, our conditioning paid off and who was stronger out front paid off.”

Patrick-Nunn-copy-218x300.jpg

Patrick Nunn made plays on both sides of the ball in the CIF State Bowl, which included his first ever work at cornerback.

Defensively, Serra’s stars included junior linebacker Edmond Lahlouh. He led the Padres with 14 tackles while adding 2.5 sacks and an interception (just Daniels’ fifth all season). Tevesi Vakalahi finished with 11 tackles and a fumble recovery that Serra would eventually capitalize on for the first score of the game.

And then there was Patrick Nunn, a senior who drew the assignment of guarding Jones. In his first game ever at cornerback.

“Oh my God. Patrick Nunn,” Walsh said. “First game ever playing corner against an NFL-potential wide receiver. Well, maybe we have an NFL-potential corner out there. It was unbelievable the effort he put into his trade. He’d never practiced corner.”

Jones caught nine passes in the championship, including the Hail Mary touchdown, but Nunn denied a handful of other big catches. One of those denials was on a fade route jump ball on fourth-and-goal midway through the second quarter.

“Phenomenal,” Kendrick said about Nunn, who also caught three passes for 33 yards on offense. “Coach threw him in there on Monday and he learned it like that. He’s an athlete.”

It was a move that just seemed to fit — with the Team of Never.

Would not be shocked to see CSM try to hire Chris Vasser away from the Padres. CSM needs a new defensive coordinator. Vasser is one of the best around.

For all you wcal fans, qb kj carta samuels transfers from University of Washington to UCLA.

ds1968 - any idea why the transfer? Carta-Samuels was terrific at the HS level, but has never transitioned at the college level - or perhaps felt he never got the chance? Just glanced at stats and in 3 seasons as a back-up threw for 300 yards & 3 TD's having seem limited playing time. Of the 3 season's KJ's playing time diminished in 2017 behind Jake Browning. It would make sense he'd rather not ride the bench next season if he could compete as a starter elsewhere. Next question: who does UCLA have at QB returning for 2018?

Would not be shocked to see CSM try to hire Chris Vasser away from the Padres. CSM needs a new defensive coordinator. Vasser is one of the best around.

Would agree on the col's assessment of Padres D coordinator Vasser. The Padres defensive game plan against the Cajon Cowboys was a true gem and could not have played out any better. The top scoring team in CA and ranked 3rd in the nation held to 14 points by a Serra team missing their best lineman and several other starters out. Remarkable!

rmbr26: here is a nice write up on kj as a graduate transfer. it looks like he was looking at other schools to continue his collegiate football career. I think he just wanted a place to have a good chance of playing instead of being a backup. but there is competition for the qb position including the freshman from bishop gorman robinson, and 2 other qbs modster and lynch

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ransfer-qb-k-j-carta-samuels-from-washington/

https://gojoebruin.com/2018/01/15/u...shington-graduate-transfer-k-j-carta-samuels/

ds1968 thanks for the articles which tell the whole story. From the limited time playing mop up over 3 seasons it doesn't appear KJ ever got the chance to start and play a full game to see what he was capable of. It does sound like he'll face tough competition at UCLA, but knew he'd sit behind Browning at Washington.

Reactions: ds1968
Darren Sabredra reporting Steve Lo, the former Offensive Coordinator at Serra is making a move to St. John Bosco in So-cal to be their OC...whoa!!

On further review, the Serra football program has become not unlike a college operation, albeit a small college. Valley Christian and St. Francis are somewhat similar. Mitty seems to be heading that way. Not so sure about the Bells. The three SF schools, no.

Reactions: Rmbr26
On further review, the Serra football program has become not unlike a college operation, albeit a small college. Valley Christian and St. Francis are somewhat similar. Mitty seems to be heading that way. Not so sure about the Bells. The three SF schools, no.

Good comment regarding the programs of those schools. The Bells have been a conundrum the last several seasons and simply not competitive with the 3 top tier teams. This season the Bell's slipped further going 4-7 and suffering blow-outs to Serra, VC & SF as well as a 35-7 loss to Milpitas along with losses to S.I. & Mitty. As much as I like Janda I see an end in sight should the Bell's repeat the last 2 seasons upcoming. I've seen little indication of any major changes in their program and their resistance to any semblance of a passing game is a mystery, even when they quality QB talent. Who at the beginning of 2017 would've picked the Bell's to finish in next to last place in WCAL?

Let's give the Bells at least another year to rehab their program. Injuries to key guys, combined with the National Anthem flap, were contributors to their 2017 decline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT