#8 Saint Ignatius @ #1 Junipero Serra

#7 Archbishop Riordan @ #2 Valley Christian

#6 Sacred Heart Cathedral @ #3 Saint Francis

#5 Bellarmine @ #4 Archbishop Mitty

Semi-Finals

Wednesday, May 9th – 4:00 & 7:00 @ Santa Clara University

Finals

Thursday, May 10th – 6:30 @ Santa Clara University

Serra is outright round-robin champ, contrary to one published report. If a team other than Serra wins playoffs, then Padres will share overall title.

For what it's worth, Serra won or shared all three WCAL baseball championships in 2018, with the frosh being the most dominant of the group. Since the San Mateo school was opened in September of 1944, baseball has been its best sport, with a total of 26 WCAL/CAL titles at the varsity level and innumerable crowns at the two lower levels.

What has gone unappreciated (at least among some Peninsula prep baseball followers) is the impact of the addition of Valley Christian to the league 16 years ago. Over the past 11 seasons, VC has shared in three WCAL titles and the 2018 playoffs have yet to begin. It would not be a shock if VC were to win the league playoffs and share in a fourth crown.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
There continues to be confusion over the outcome of the WCAL round-robin race. The San Jose Mercury has reported it correctly all along:

"Winner of eight in a row in league, Serra (20-6, 11-3 WCAL) is the round-robin champion by virtue of its sweep of Valley Christian (23-3-1, 11-3), while third place is shared by Mitty (19-6, 9-5) and St. Francis (19-7, 9-5)."

There continues to be confusion over the outcome of the WCAL round-robin race. The San Jose Mercury has reported it correctly all along:

"Winner of eight in a row in league, Serra (20-6, 11-3 WCAL) is the round-robin champion by virtue of its sweep of Valley Christian (23-3-1, 11-3), while third place is shared by Mitty (19-6, 9-5) and St. Francis (19-7, 9-5)."
Call me when final team dog-piled on the moun

Unsure of why WCAL still has a baseball tournament. The best team is proven through the 2-month grind of the regular season. They got rid of the league tourney for basketball, right?

I wouldn't be surprise if they go away with the playoff since next year CIF is suppose to go to a State Tournament format. If so, I wouldn't be surprise if gone within two years.

They got rid of it in basketball because the teams had to play a 3 game week and the coaches did not want to break kids down when they all bang against each other the next week in CCS and then again in Norcal.

I hope the WCAL never gives up the baseball tournament. The round robin just concluded showed that 5 teams were really good. All within 2 games of each other. The tournament allows teams that slip out of the round robin race another chance. The history is remarkable. This year the tourney is the path for a 2nd team to get into the Open. It is a great event. Baseball is perfectly suited for it.

You should be more worried about the WCAL disbanding and the schools being placed in other leagues. That is closer than people think. The WCAL baseball tournament is one of the best events the league offers.

Just my opinion, of course. Plus, the basketball guys are talking about wanting it back. The competition is so tough and balanced, the tournament is an awesome opportunity

Reactions: CityVibesII
Could in the future. Schools are big business. Schools have different agendas. Self preservation. Schools in league are basically into their own worries and not necessarily the best interests of the league. You have haves and have nots. You have trouble with the girls league. Teams have dropped out. Might not be enough. If the girls league disbands. Coed schools will flee together. There are leagues in the CCS that fit all the schools in the leagues needs. If it is a bottom line era of finances at these schools, they are going to go where there best interests are, which may be somewhere else. Precarious times ahead. Suffice to say it is every man/woman for themselves in 2018. The league also needs to look at itself. Why is advantageous to play in a WCAL league? How does it help my school? Maybe the league should market itself like the Pac 12 does. Just realize things are different now. The future is uncertain. Sucks but it is "out there."

The history of the WCAL and CCS would tend to dispute your various theories. Valley Christian is a case in point. The Warriors once were part of a South Bay public school league. But the public members wanted them out. CCS basically mandated that the WCAL accept VC as an eighth league school, the idea being to quarantine VC along with the other WCAL schools. If you are referring to the three SF schools, does anyone really believe that any of them, on either the male female side, would be welcomed into the AAA? No chance. Besides, it's doubtful that SI, SHC or Riordan would even look longingly at that fading enterprise and see it as some sort of solution for any of their competitive problems. For one thing, the AAA does not permit non-SF residents to compete on the league's teams; that's the main reason SI left the AAA 50 years ago (followed shortly after that by SHC). None of the CCS public school leagues want any part of the WCAL schools if they can possibly avoid them. The WCAL is regarded as an athletic leper colony by any and all CCS publics. As for the WCAL girls, six is enough, though barely. If all-female Presentation were to bail and join the private/parochial WBAL (forget the BVAL or the SCVAL), that would create a real problem for the WCAL. As for money, the WCAL, at least at first glance, would appear to be far more revenue-friendly than, say, the AAA, PAL, SCCVAL or BVAL. Supposedly, WCAL officials have been looking at future scenarios, both short-term and long-term. So far, no reports or recommendations have been announced for public consumption.

You are right in your analysis...but still missing my point. I am trying to paint a picture and have you read between the lines. The girls league is in trouble. That is coming. It is going to take a lot of creativity to solve this. There are leagues on the Peninsula that might welcome additions, both boys and girls. Trust me. I am not saying AAA...

The schools themselves are committed to dealing with their own individual school issues...they involve funding...financial aid...not athletic budgets, but school philosophy and health...it is expensive to go to these schools and nobody will "take one for the team" for the league if it clashes with ways to make a school healthier. This goes for all the schools, but there are a few that are questioning the value of membership in the league. They are looking for what is best for them...not really caring about anybody else.

It is a different climate that when VC was put in the league. League membership in CCS is in flux. Changes are coming.

Those of us that love the history of the WCAL and the tradition and all that...need to realize that there are discussions about the future and it may include a different league structure.

Just come back to this thread when stuff hits the fans and acknowledge that I floated the idea of stuff happening.

One more thing:

For Riordan, spring sports are a huge collective challenge. According to the WCAL website, the Crusaders this year managed an overall 2-50 league record in its five varsity spring sports offerings (5-37 for its three baseball teams, varsity, JV and frosh, by the way). Riordan does not offer either lacrosse or volleyball. The Riordan situation has been a continuing concern for WCAL authorities, even more so for the Crusaders themselves.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
You are right in your analysis...but still missing my point. I am trying to paint a picture and have you read between the lines. The girls league is in trouble. That is coming. It is going to take a lot of creativity to solve this. There are leagues on the Peninsula that might welcome additions, both boys and girls. Trust me. I am not saying AAA...

The schools themselves are committed to dealing with their own individual school issues...they involve funding...financial aid...not athletic budgets, but school philosophy and health...it is expensive to go to these schools and nobody will "take one for the team" for the league if it clashes with ways to make a school healthier. This goes for all the schools, but there are a few that are questioning the value of membership in the league. They are looking for what is best for them...not really caring about anybody else.

It is a different climate that when VC was put in the league. League membership in CCS is in flux. Changes are coming.

Those of us that love the history of the WCAL and the tradition and all that...need to realize that there are discussions about the future and it may include a different league structure.

Just come back to this thread when stuff hits the fans and acknowledge that I floated the idea of stuff happening.

The problem here (quite politely) is specifics. It would be helpful to provide at least some reasonably solid speculation about solutions. Anything you can share at this time?

Another note:

Over the years, there has been some talk of trying to add some schools to the WCAL and then creating power divisions in the various sports. Accomplishing that has proven to be impossible so far.

My point is that it IS a concern for Riordan, but there are no "WCAL authorities" who care about it. The WCAL "authorities" are the principals that are up to their necks with their own schools challenges and AD's who just try to run their programs, and a commissioner that really just organizes schedules and facilitates bylaw changes. Teams are at least THINKING about what is best athletically for THEIR school and bolting from the WCAL is an option for way more than one school, especially the girls only schools. Dynamics could change in an instant. Already has with the field hockey programs being dumped by the BVAL and subsequently added by the SCVAL. Just don't be shocked when crazy stuff starts happening in a year or so. I'm with you...bring back the glory days...but it is getting crazy out there

Every school has one eye on the present and one eye on the future. The future might look different. I can't speak for the WCAL schools, but I am aware that everyone is trying to figure out what is best for THEM. If move A happens, what will move B be? That kind of stuff. Nobody wants to get crushed in everything. Start there. Nobody wants their boys and girls in different leagues if possible. Continue there. If some larger, more successful schools are the last ones standing, they also have to do whats best for them. It is not a stable time, even if the discussions have not left conference rooms and offices yet.

A key point to remember: CCS public school leagues are not interested in helping the WCAL with any of its problems. The AAA is out of the question because of the residence rule. So what's left for a severely challenged WCAL member like Riordan? Not much. As for Presentation, yes, the WBAL would be an option. If that were to occur, the WCAL girls' side would be in trouble for sure.

Public schools would not have a choice. If the WCAL is gone, lets just say for girls..the teams would be placed on leagues by the CCS. I think it would be the PAL for the north schools and SCVAL or BVAL for southern schools. Mess. PAL actually matches up well with all the City WCAL schools, both boy and girls

Last edited:
I think schools face tough financial decisions when offering extracurricular teams. TBH, if you field teams in sports where participation is low and/or a sample size of say 10 years the teams have a below .100 win%, then its time to save that money and allocate it towards the teams that do do well or put it towards an education elective. Who wants to endure complete donut seasons in tennis, golf, soccer?

Public schools would not have a choice. If the WCAL is gone, lets just say for girls..the teams would be placed on leagues by the CCS. I think it would be the PAL for the north schools and SCVAL or BCAL for southern schools. Mess. PAL actually matches up well with all the City WCAL schools, both boy and girls

PAL coaches and administrators would slit their wrists if WCAL teams, boys or girls or both, were mandated to be included in their league.

There are no ideal options for anyone....In reality, the WCAL is a victim of its own success, as the stockpiling of talent has created imbalances that the rest of us have seen develop over the last 15-20 years, but is now creeping its way into WCAL play. Demographic changes in Santa Clara County, WCAL schools creating their own club pipelines, and the perception from parents that a WCAL school is the only place for student athletes to attract college attention has led to dominating programs at Bellarmine, St. Francis, VC, Mitty, Serra, and SI.

Another remarkable fact is how these schools have become less about drawing the local Catholic families, and more about becoming regional schools. Case in point, SI, which has rosters with students from San Francisco, Marin, and San Mateo counties. Mitty's best basketball player is from Santa Cruz, and St. Francis is now getting students from across the Dumbarton Bridge which was not the case in years past. I mentioned in a previous thread that these programs are run more like colleges than extra-curricular activities. Is this a bad thing? Not for those kids competing at those high-levels, but the other 98% of CCS member schools are playing a completely different game.

ColHenry is correct in that no public school league will want to add these schools. And Tired of This is also correct in that the CCS does not necessarily give leagues a choice to add schools. If they do get placed in say the SCVAL, it does not really solve the problem, as the Mitty and St. Francis' of the world will destroy our schools, as they have done so in the WCAL. Our De Anza Division schools are solid on the top end, especially when a talented group of kids goes through the system, but our bottom end is more like a B+, than a true A. Mitty might get a good game with a Paly in girls basketball, and by a good game, I mean, lose by 25. The rest of the games would be in the 40-50 point range.

I am not sure how the WCAL will solve their fractures, but I fear that it will leak into, and then affect the PAL or SCVAL. The CCS playoffs have become a lot less fun the last 15 years or so, as the same schools tend to dominate. The Open Divisions provide a bit more interest, but it still would be more interesting if there were more balanced competition. For example, in baseball during the 80's/90's, the WCAL might have 2-3 solid pitchers, to our 1-2 in the old DAAL, but now they can go 5-6 deep, and they also probably cut 3 guys that could have been 3 year starters in a public school league.

It will be an interesting 3-5 years. That same lack of fun we see in CCS, would come into league play, which would not benefit anyone.

Valley Christian beat St. Francis 7-4.
Bells and Serra is in progress.

Top of the 5th. Bells take a 1-0 lead on a bases-loaded walk.

Bottom 6. Still 1-0 Bells. Serra leaves a runner stranded at third.

Top 7. Still 1-0 Bells.
Bottom 7. Serra ties it 1-1, then wins it 2-1.

Last edited:
Serra walks off in the bottom of the 7th 2-1 a very close game. Earlier St. Francis made some crucial errors and VC took advantage of them to get the W.

Unsure of why WCAL still has a baseball tournament. The best team is proven through the 2-month grind of the regular season. They got rid of the league tourney for basketball, right?
Its not a baseball tournament; its called league playoffs. But as a playoff, I agree that only Top 4 teams in league after league schedule should qualify.

One more thing:

For Riordan, spring sports are a huge collective challenge. According to the WCAL website, the Crusaders this year managed an overall 2-50 league record in its five varsity spring sports offerings (5-37 for its three baseball teams, varsity, JV and frosh, by the way). Riordan does not offer either lacrosse or volleyball. The Riordan situation has been a continuing concern for WCAL authorities, even more so for the Crusaders themselves.

colhenrylives, you better check your numbers, I already know you hate Riordan for some unknown reason.

There are not 50 losses by Riordan Varsity teams in league games or league dual meets the 4 Spring Sports that are WCAL members; Baseball, Golf, Tennis, and Track & Field.

Lacrosse did not play a WCAL league schedule.

Baseball has a 2-12 league record, with a win over Serra, and 10 of the league games that Riordan played could have been a save for the winning team. Riordan played 5 league games won by 1 run, 4 of these games were losses.

Golf lost 14 league matches

Tennis lost 14 league matches

Track & Field lost 7 league dual Meets

This does not add up to 50, except when colhenrylives adds it up.

colhenrylives, you better check your numbers, I already know you hate Riordan for some unknown reason.

There are not 50 losses by Riordan Varsity teams in league games or league dual meets the 4 Spring Sports that are WCAL members; Baseball, Golf, Tennis, and Track & Field.

Lacrosse did not play a WCAL league schedule.

Baseball has a 2-12 league record, with a win over Serra, and 10 of the league games that Riordan played could have been a save for the winning team. Riordan played 5 league games won by 1 run, 4 of these games were losses.

Golf lost 14 league matches

Tennis lost 14 league matches

Track & Field lost 7 league dual Meets

This does not add up to 50, except when colhenrylives adds it up.
Stats you are a wealth of knowledge and a great ARHS supporter but one doesn't necessarily hate Riordan because they have noticed that Riordan's athletic teams are pretty abysmal. Take out the country club sports and the Crusaders' records are still embarrassing:
Football V 1-6 JV 1-6 F 3-3-1
Basketball V 4-10 JV 10-4 A 4-10 B 10-4
Soccer V 0-14 JV 0-14 F No team
Baseball V 2-12 JV 0-14 F 3-11
Track V 07 F/S 2-5
On the bright side
Wrestling V 5-1 JV 4-2 F 6-0
And not mocking you but the band usually kicks ass
Take away wrestling and there were only two teams over .500 in league (JV and B BBall) out of 15 possible teams.

Here's the official bad news for Riordan in the five spring varsity sports. These are WCAL won-loss league marks for 2018:

Baseball, 2-12
Golf, 0-11
Swimming, 0-6
Tennis, 0-14
Track and field, 0-7

Total is 2-50

Riordan does not offer lacrosse or volleyball.

Hating Riordan? No. Reality check going forward? Certainly. Ignoring or disputing the overall spring sports record simply prolongs solutions.

Here's the official bad news for Riordan in the five spring varsity sports. These are WCAL won-loss league marks for 2018:

Baseball, 2-12
Golf, 0-11
Swimming, 0-6
Tennis, 0-14
Track and field, 0-7

Total is 2-50

Hating Riordan? No. Reality check going forward? Certainly. Ignoring or disputing the overall spring sports record simply prolongs solutions.

By the way, for a lot of kids, the "country club sports" are important and meaningful.

Baseball, 2-12
Golf, 0-11
Swimming, 0-6
Tennis, 0-14
Track and field, 0-7

Total is 2-50

Ask him if he keeps stats for the 0-fer teams. Should be really easy to keep stats when those teams lay donuts.

Baseball, 2-12
Golf, 0-11
Swimming, 0-6
Tennis, 0-14
Track and field, 0-7

Total is 2-50

Archbishop Riordan does have a Lacrosse team. The Lacrosse team won 4 non-league matches. Riordan Lacrosse is not a WCAL sport.

Archbishop Riordan did not have any swimmers this season, Riordan had 1 swimmer last season (2017). No Swim Scores for a Archbishop Riordan Swim team were submitted to the league. This is a fact.
I run the Meet Manager Software for all Saint Ignatius home Swim Meets. Archbishop Riordan, when it has swimmers, swims with the Sacred Heart Cathedral swim team during dual meets. The Sacred Heart Cathedral Swim Team hosted Saint Ignatius at the Boys and Girls Club, this season. I ran the Meet Manager software for Sacred Heart Cathedral for that Meet.

There were no Archbishop Riordan Swimmers, so there is no Archbishop Riordan Swim Team.

I really think you need to have at least 1 swimmer to have a Swim Team

Congratulations on Valley Christian winning WCAL title and the last team standing in arguably the strongest the league year to date. Ive let known about my personal opinion regarding co-titles, respectfully. How many titles would Dodgers/Nationals have. No disrespect to Serra on (to date) an outstanding season, but the team that dogpiles on the last out of the last game gets my vote. To all teams making it to CCS, good luck.

Last edited:
16th time in last 21 seasons that WCAL baseball title has been shared.
Archbishop Riordan does have a Lacrosse team. The Lacrosse team won 4 non-league matches. Riordan Lacrosse is not a WCAL sport.

Archbishop Riordan did not have any swimmers this season, Riordan had 1 swimmer last season (2017). No Swim Scores for a Archbishop Riordan Swim team were submitted to the league. This is a fact.
I run the Meet Manager Software for all Saint Ignatius home Swim Meets. Archbishop Riordan, when it has swimmers, swims with the Sacred Heart Cathedral swim team during dual meets. The Sacred Heart Cathedral Swim Team hosted Saint Ignatius at the Boys and Girls Club, this season. I ran the Meet Manager software for Sacred Heart Cathedral for that Meet.

There were no Archbishop Riordan Swimmers, so there is no Archbishop Riordan Swim Team.

I really think you need to have at least 1 swimmer to have a Swim Team

Please contact the WCAL website folks for a clarification re swimming standings.

Congratulations on Valley Christian winning WCAL title and the last team standing in arguably the strongest the league year to date. Ive let known about my personal opinion regarding co-titles, respectfully. How many titles would Dodgers/Nationals have. No disrespect to Serra on (to date) an outstanding season, but the team that dogpiles on the last out of the last game gets my vote. To all teams making it to CCS, good luck.

It was a good day for VC, with the boys capturing a share of the WCAL baseball title (26-3-1) and the girls capturing the softball title outright by winning both the league and playoffs. I think that may have been the first softball title for the girls since joining the WCAL. (Edit: Girls shared the crown with Mitty in 2011)

Last edited:
Reactions: CityVibesII
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT