ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Week One

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Here we go. The WCAL schedule for the first week of league play:

Friday _ Bellarmine at St. Francis, 7 p.m.; Serra at SI, 7 p.m.
Saturday _ SHC at Riordan, 1:30 p.m.; Mitty at VC, 6 p.m.

St. Francis and Riordan are heavy favorites; Mitty and Serra are slight favorites.

Some of the speculation now comes to a close. We will start to get some answers.

Reactions: jordan24
lots of pressure on riordan this week to make a statement. if they don’t run the clock on shcp it would be a bad look.

mitty vs valley christian is huge for playoff seeding, because of the dumb ccs playoff format it actually ends up better for the loser of the game not the winner.

serra vs si is a waste of letters typing about as we all know how that goes. shutout

many of the games will likely be decided by the refs.
Good thing most people have you blocked - I'm almost there too. This comment is one of the definitions of a saddle burr. Yeah, refs have their part in the game and don't always get it right. But to throw this side comment about on-the-field wins just show how far you will go to get negative attention.

Last edited:
A good HS ref has 50x the rules knowledge of an average fan. Dragging them always seems bizarre to me.
i don't think your making the point you think you are. in fact you are proving my point.

if what you said is true then the refs know the rules and choose to enforce them wrong or make bad calls that influence games despite knowing the rules. the wcal in particular is known for its poor officiating.

this is not a secret. in fact it is an open secret that wcal officiating is designed to create controversy.

SI vs Serra is going to be a good game. SI is better than people think. Anything can happen on the road.
i'll tell you what can't happen. serra losing to si. this game is a 4 touchdown spread minimum, serra line play is way too good, way too consistent, they'll grind out the game in the second half and run away.

A good HS ref has 50x the rules knowledge of an average fan. Dragging them always seems bizarre to me.
Having been on the sidelines for many games as a somewhat unbiased chain gang crew, most of the fans get it wrong. But every game I see one or two ref errors. Only very rarely have I seen errors that alter the game outcome. It happens, but its like 1 or two games of the 100s of games I have observed.

Reactions: dcpanda and THEOC89
i don't think your making the point you think you are. in fact you are proving my point.

if what you said is true then the refs know the rules and choose to enforce them wrong or make bad calls that influence games despite knowing the rules. the wcal in particular is known for its poor officiating.

this is not a secret. in fact it is an open secret that wcal officiating is designed to create controversy.
You are under the impression that the league encourages officials to make incorrect calls?

You are under the impression that the league encourages officials to make incorrect calls?
no. what im saying is the league cheaps out on officials and gets them at a discount, the quality of the officials is reflective of how much the league pays for them. they get a lot of soccer refs and brand new refs because of all the saturday games.

Our QB Hummel isn't going to throw 4 INTs like he did against SRV. A game SI still could've won until that 4th Qtr.
I went to that game. There was no point in that game after kickoff where SRV was going to lose that game. They ran and passed all over SI. SRV kept Hummel to a bunch of 5 yard completions. You definitely knew it was over when Marco Jones inserted himself as WR and said yah throw me the ball in the endzone because I want to score a TD. That team was just flat out better.

Reactions: Norcalguy111
no. what im saying is the league cheaps out on officials and gets them at a discount, the quality of the officials is reflective of how much the league pays for them. they get a lot of soccer refs and brand new refs because of all the saturday games.
Here we are back to the Saturday games. What a bizarre statement. How would you know this or support this evidence?

I personally know a WCAL ref who also refs Big 12 games. I don’t think he is cheap.

Reactions: THEOC89
Here we are back to the Saturday games. What a bizarre statement. How would you know this or support this evidence?

I personally know a WCAL ref who also refs Big 12 games. I don’t think he is cheap.
literally impossible when the games are on the same day and halfway across the usa america from each other.

I know you are trolling me, but just to make sure it is understood: he does not ref WCAL & Big 12 the same day.
He clearly knows nothing about HSFB ref’s, how they are paid and how it all works….

He was just banned again from the National Board yesterday and his posts all removed for trolling and posting nonsense…. And they are incredibly lenient and chill overthere, he just goes completely off the rials…. 🤣

I went to that game. There was no point in that game after kickoff where SRV was going to lose that game. They ran and passed all over SI. SRV kept Hummel to a bunch of 5 yard completions. You definitely knew it was over when Marco Jones inserted himself as WR and said yah throw me the ball in the endzone because I want to score a TD. That team was just flat out better.
The score was 7-3 at the half. You're making it sound like it was some kind of blowout.
I was watching the same game too.

Here we go. The WCAL schedule for the first week of league play:

Friday _ Bellarmine at St. Francis, 7 p.m.; Serra at SI, 7 p.m.
Saturday _ SHC at Riordan, 1:30 p.m.; Mitty at VC, 6 p.m.

St. Francis and Riordan are heavy favorites; Mitty and Serra are slight favorites.

Some of the speculation now comes to a close. We will start to get some answers.
My quick thoughts on the game:

Bellarmine-St. Francis: SF should win with their power running game being too much

Serra-SI: Don't think Serra will be really challenged, but it won't be a runaway win. Not sure this Serra team can blow out other quality teams like the past few years

SHC-Riordan: Riordan wins this one. Biggest thing to watch is if Crusaders start to get some players back

Mitty-VC: Most intriguing game of the week IMO. Lean Mitty, but still tough to go on the road and win

Reactions: THEOC89
My quick thoughts on the game:

Bellarmine-St. Francis: SF should win with their power running game being too much

Serra-SI: Don't think Serra will be really challenged, but it won't be a runaway win. Not sure this Serra team can blow out other quality teams like the past few years

SHC-Riordan: Riordan wins this one. Biggest thing to watch is if Crusaders start to get some players back

Mitty-VC: Most intriguing game of the week IMO. Lean Mitty, but still tough to go on the road and win
i agree with all of this. i will say though that i think serra can still blow out a lot of teams in wcal, because there defense and line are so much better. i think a lot of there games will be close at the half but will snowball into blowouts late. for example this si game i wouldn't be surprised if they get turnovers in the second half once si is forced to throw, and turn those into points that make the game a blowout.

The score was 7-3 at the half. You're making it sound like it was some kind of blowout.
I was watching the same game too.
Score was not indicative. Two years ago SH beat SI 10-0. That was probably the first BM game ever where I felt SI had zero chance of winning. SH held SI to less than 50 yards rushing and picked off Hummel twice. The talent gap was the widest Ive ever seen between the two where SH clearly had the better roster. That DOES NOT happen often.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT