ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be top 5 in the north

ararar

Hall of Famer
Dec 8, 2012
I would like opinions on who the top 5 teams will be.We know DLS is 1 but who falls in line behind them?

Reactions: ncscalfootball
DLS
St Mary's
Pitt
Clayton Valley
Somebody from the WCAL. You can never rule out that league. Valley Christian last year was pretty damn good and they have a lot returning.
Also SJS up in Sac area with Folsom & Oak Ridge looking strong. Not sure how DO does loosing Taylor and Smartt.

But DLS is going to be be a legit contender this year. They were young last year against Bosco. I give them a real chance to be National Top 5-10.

DLS
St Mary's
Pitt
Clayton Valley
Somebody from the WCAL. You can never rule out that league. Valley Christian last year was pretty damn good and they have a lot returning.
Also SJS up in Sac area with Folsom & Oak Ridge looking strong. Not sure how DO does loosing Taylor and Smartt.

But DLS is going to be be a legit contender this year. They were young last year against Bosco. I give them a real chance to be National Top 5-10.

You really think Pittsburg is the 3rd best team in the north? I guess we will find out when they play Centennial how much they have improved.I agree about DLS they have a legit chance at 1-5 nationally if they run their schedule.California has 4 teams who could claim #1 if they go undefeated

Reactions: aztecpadre
Kind of spit balling here, but here are some teams I like after DLS:

Valley Christian
St. Francis
Pittsburg
Freedom
Folsom
Oak Ridge
St. Mary's (lost a ton on the lines)

Reactions: Adam007
Not sure how it's a positive. They don't get a chance to play on because of the loser plays on rule in the open. They need to change that rule.

It gave MV a chance at their only NCS D1 championship in the last 20+ years last season. I'm sure that what he was referring to. CVC & Pitt lose into the 1st round of the Open and didn't win a title or move on. I would still like a system where the winner of a league like the EBAL or BVAL gets an automatic bid to the Open, even if that means there are 5 or 6 teams in the Open.

It gave MV a chance at their only NCS D1 championship in the last 20+ years last season.

Yeah that's great I suppose. I think the coaches, and kids had their sights set higher if you listen to the response from the program after being passed over. I think if your chosen for the open and dont handle your business to bad. MV most definitely deserved a regional bid period.

I think serra will get smashed like last year against St Mary's. People are forgetting Aponte and Frampton are back. St Mary's had a very good JV and returns a lot of contributors. Aponte is going to be a load to handle at QB. Much different player than Dunniway. A lot of Trosin from Folsom a few years ago. This kid has a motor and at the HS level will put up huge numbers.

I think serra will get smashed like last year against St Mary's. People are forgetting Aponte and Frampton are back. St Mary's had a very good JV and returns a lot of contributors. Aponte is going to be a load to handle at QB. Much different player than Dunniway. A lot of Trosin from Folsom a few years ago. This kid has a motor and at the HS level will put up huge numbers.

I know St Mary's is losing Amuave, any idea what their offensive line looks like this year? Frampton is primed for a huge year if he can get blocking.

Are we certain Aponte will be the Rams QB this year? Although, senior Hunter Low filled in at QB late in games last year, he rarely threw a pass. Put Aponte at QB and the Rams lose a weapon at WR. I have a strong feeling Coach Franks might be considering going with sophomore Noah May. Noah May has been leading his 7-on-7 team, Team Elevate, a team comprised of local star players from the 209, including his high school teammates, Tre and Andrew Jenkins in several tournaments, since the Spring of 2017.

Team Elevate roster: Story from Blackhat Football.

Highlight from YouTube: Pylon 7-on-7 Nationals (in Reno) winning TD

Safe to say that the Rams will be okay at the QB position come 2017 season, whether it is Aponte or May. But, my $ is on Noah May at QB.

Question mark might be the line because last year's line was something else. Look for senior, 6'-6" 280lbs Max Barth, and junior, 6'-3" 245 lbs Hunter Jones, to anchor the Rams line, and possibly playing both sides. Hunter Jones got some playing time as a freshman vs Folsom in the 2015 playoffs. He's a beast! His parents are cool, too! Met them at the Serra game last year.

Besides, Dusty Frampton coming out of the backfield, I envision Tre Jenkins and Marcus Aponte as players for the Rams that will be difficult to defend. We may also see Dewey Cotton's younger brother, Yay-yay, a junior, in the slot.

Too early to determine if this year's team will be able to fill the void with many players lost to graduation. But, I kind of like their chances to succeed in the regular season and go deep in the playoffs, again. Against Mater Dei, not feeling as confident. But, I guarantee they will come to play and give it their best shot, with nothing to lose. Hoping they can compete, at least, but MD is way to strong for a Rams team that will be reloading and playing together for the first time as a team, especially at the QB position and questions with the line.

GO SM RAMS!!!

I just don't see how you wouldn't go with Aponte at QB. Its the most important position on the field and he's arguably there most athletic and versatile player. A WR at the HS level rarely changes the game like a QB. He adds another dimension they didn't have last year. Isn't that stud safety back for you guys too. He has to be a d1 player.

I like the rams a lot. Think they have a great program. Frampton doesn't go down and you have a state banner last year.

What about teams like Bishop O'Dowd or Campolindo, Granite Bay, Elk Grove?

I think Granite Bay will be excellent defensively. Probably the best defensive team in their conference by far. They are going to shut teams down. As to offense, I would expect to see a lot more throwing (designed roll outs) to complement their running game. Whether that's successful or not gets into who well they coach up their kids. This team could really be competitive.

I think Granite Bay will be excellent defensively. Probably the best defensive team in their conference by far. They are going to shut teams down. As to offense, I would expect to see a lot more throwing (designed roll outs) to complement their running game. Whether that's successful or not gets into who well they coach up their kids. This team could really be competitive.

I know the coach over at Granite Bay Jeff Evans he's a great guy in it for the right reasons.

Obviously DLS #1 but I can't imagine Pitt not ending up in the top 2-4.
This should be one of their more LOADED teams. Great size. Great skills. Great coaches. The challenge will be a young but promising QB. If he can limit turnovers they are scary. They're one of the top public schools in the state year in and year out

Reactions: Bubba3000
I know the coach over at Granite Bay Jeff Evans he's a great guy in it for the right reasons.

You can't really under-appreciate the ability to attract kids that would otherwise go to Oakmont, Woodcreek or Del Oro. He's found kids to fill in where others have chosen lacrosse, soccer, basketball or rugby. And, I think he's running a program that reaches out to the community a little more than in the past. His tweeks have been accretive.

You can't really under-appreciate the ability to attract kids that would otherwise go to Oakmont, Woodcreek or Del Oro. He's found kids to fill in where others have chosen lacrosse, soccer, basketball or rugby. And, I think he's running a program that reaches out to the community a little more than in the past. His tweeks have been accretive.

Jeff played high school ball with my nephew over at Oak Grove back in the day

New Obviously DLS #1 but I can't imagine Pitt not ending up in the top 2-4.
This should be one of their more LOADED teams. Great size. Great skills. Great coaches. The challenge will be a young but promising QB. If he can limit turnovers they are scary. They're one of the top public schools in the state year in and year out

Top in NorCal for sure. State? I guess it would depend on how you judge that, Socal has many top public schools that are stacked with talent.

Jeff played high school ball with my nephew over at Oak Grove back in the day

Wondered how they got that game scheduled last year. It was a good game. you can see where the arrival of the JV players and the departure of the seniors is a great tradeoff for GB varsity football. It will be the best team they have fielded in years from a talent perspective. The JV team has 3-4 quality players that basically came from Oakmont and they got a running back from Woodcreek that has some talent. They can execute some of the pass plays this year that they haven't been able to execute very effectively since Carroway left a few years back. Cooper does a very nice job in the weightroom with those kids. I would be very optimistic if I were Jeff.

I just don't see how you wouldn't go with Aponte at QB. Its the most important position on the field and he's arguably there most athletic and versatile player. A WR at the HS level rarely changes the game like a QB. He adds another dimension they didn't have last year. Isn't that stud safety back for you guys too. He has to be a d1 player.

I like the rams a lot. Think they have a great program. Frampton doesn't go down and you have a state banner last year.
Hi Bob33, IMHO, Aponte works well at QB in the Wildcat. Why the coaches didn't use him in the Wildcat in that last series vs Cathedral may be questionable. He was used a few times at QB in the Wildcat in 2016, but never threw the ball. Sure, he is an athlete, probably one of the best the Rams have returning. But, I would think if he was targeted to be the QB this year, Coach Franks would have had him prep'd last year as a back-up and used him more in the QB position and have him throwing the ball. But, it didn't happen. I also believe Aponte will serve the Rams better at WR than at QB. Remove Aponte from WR and use him at QB, how many WR's does he have to throw to? Josh Harper played WR and had a huge impact at this position for the Rams, until he went down with an ankle injury in the 2008 SJS D1 section championship game. Anthony Crosby was Willie Tuitama's go-to WR and had a huge impact in the Rams winning the 2004 SJS D1 section championship. But, in each case, they were not alone. Josh Harper had Louie Lechich and Crosby had Zanini. My point is that the Rams need more strength in depth at WR for their offense to click. How good is Aponte at QB throwing the ball? He is receiving offers from a couple of IVY league teams (Columbia and Cornell), but I doubt it is for the QB position. Also, Maxpreps 2017 roster has Aponte listed as WR, CB (not QB). But, anything can happen during the summer and come fall Aponte could be the Rams QB. But, I doubt it.

Tre Jenkins will be back at safety for St. Mary's. Tre is getting some D1 offers, too (Arizona, Navy, Nevada, San Jose St, UC Davis, and Wyoming). Look for his brother, Andrew, to join him at CB.

I really can see Noah May, even though will only be a sophomore, at the helm for the Rams. He did well at QB for the JV team, as a freshman. He is doing well at QB in the 7-on-7 tourneys. He really is pretty good and has good size for a sophomore. We'll see. Much to be determine during summer training/camp.

GO SM RAMS!!!

I think Oakdale is going to be in the top 5. They had a young team last season with mostly Juniors at starting positions. They went on to win a D3 State title. I expect they will do well this coming season.Only problem is they could be promoted to D 2 this season for playoffs. Oakdale plays Folsom in a non league game at the "Corral" September 8th. This is going to be a very good test for the Mustangs!!

Reactions: Ca. Football rules
Surprised not a word about Coach Taylors new school. Get used to hearing this"Capital Christian". He now can recruit openly, is backed by major money and the staff he has put together is the best I have seen from this area. Bob Hoskins and his 51 years, Carmazzi and his decades of experience, Jerry Deloach with so many years at a high level and then CT himself...........Yup I said it, get used to hearing CC and bet you he is chasing DLS.......

I agree with you on the Capital Christian train. I know they have a few transfers in from Folsom, and Grant Union. They should be back in a regional game this upcoming season. O'Dowd handled them pretty good, but they if two young studs at RB. They should become the Sac-Jaq Private power, with Jesuit being second on the totem pole. I'd like to see a NCS- SacJaq private scheduled week. Matchups of DLS-St.Marys, BOD-Jesuit, Moreau-Brothers, St. Mary's or Salesian vs CC. Would be fun

Good call about CC. Just not a household name yet.. But it won't take long. I think Oakdale will be very good but most likely in that 10-20 range in terms of top teams in Norcal. Can't wait for the season to start. Baseball is killing me.

Surprised not a word about Coach Taylors new school. Get used to hearing this"Capital Christian". He now can recruit openly, is backed by major money and the staff he has put together is the best I have seen from this area. Bob Hoskins and his 51 years, Carmazzi and his decades of experience, Jerry Deloach with so many years at a high level and then CT himself...........Yup I said it, get used to hearing CC and bet you he is chasing DLS.......

Always refreshing to see such honesty here: "recruit openly."

In spite of your dire prediction, Serra will show up in Stockton. The Padres might even arrive in the Port City a bit early to take in the ambience at St. Mary's. They return about 35 varsity veterans, including a significant number of key operatives from their 2016 team, a state playoff finalist. Their eventual roster should embrace about 60 kids. Their feeder teams annually provide lots of talent. They are expected to vie with Valley Christian and St. Francis for the WCAL title. Again. However, as they well know, St. Mary's is a formidable foe indeed. The 2016 game was, to say the least, an attention-grabber. Frampton was a man among boys in that one. Limiting him will be Task No.1. Lots of luck with that. Expect a high scoring game next month. Serra's offense, led by people like Bottari, Villaroman, Kendrick, Nunn (Patrick), Mafi and other standouts, should be quite dynamic with an emphasis on speed and a diverse passing game even without former QB Leki Nunn. Defense will be their major question mark. Their kicking game should be strong. Special teams (kick return groups) should be more than adequate too. Coaching and preparation remain big positives on the San Mateo campus. The overall Serra program, under Coach Walsh, has become one of the Bay Area's best. Their 2017 schedule is very strong. Nothing new there. Walsh seeks out top non-league competition to prepare for the rigors of the WCAL yearly. St. Mary's fits right in. Will Serra get "smashed?" I would not bet the farm on that prognostication.

In spite of your dire prediction, Serra will show up in Stockton. The Padres might even arrive in the Port City a bit early to take in the ambience at St. Mary's. They return about 35 varsity veterans, including a significant number of key operatives from their 2016 team, a state playoff finalist. Their eventual roster should embrace about 60 kids. Their feeder teams annually provide lots of talent. They are expected to vie with Valley Christian and St. Francis for the WCAL title. Again. However, as they well know, St. Mary's is a formidable foe indeed. The 2016 game was, to say the least, an attention-grabber. Frampton was a man among boys in that one. Limiting him will be Task No.1. Lots of luck with that. Expect a high scoring game next month. Serra's offense, led by people like Bottari, Villaroman, Kendrick, Nunn (Patrick), Mafi and other standouts, should be quite dynamic with an emphasis on speed and a diverse passing game even without former QB Leki Nunn. Defense will be their major question mark. Their kicking game should be strong. Special teams (kick return groups) should be more than adequate too. Coaching and preparation remain big positives on the San Mateo campus. The overall Serra program, under Coach Walsh, has become one of the Bay Area's best. Their 2017 schedule is very strong. Nothing new there. Walsh seeks out top non-league competition to prepare for the rigors of the WCAL yearly. St. Mary's fits right in. Will Serra get "smashed?" I would not bet the farm on that prognostication.

100% agree with you cohenrylives! Serra returns more players than St. Mary's. For St. Mary's, there are still a bunch of question marks that will be answered in this game. This is not a sure-win for the Rams. In fact, it is a game the Rams could very well lose. In other words, a toss-up, and a very high scoring toss-up. One reason Frampton had his way vs Serra last year was due to their O-line, which should be good this season, but not as good as last season. Another reason is that Jake Dunniway at QB stretched the Padres defense to give Frampton more running room once he got thru the line. Until half-time, the Padres vs Rams game last year was simply a scoring affair (no defense). St. Mary's starts this season with a new QB. Some think it will be Aponte. Some think it will be the sophomore, Noah May. Can the new QB stretch Serra's defense? Can the Rams O-line make holes for Frampton?

Another question mark for the Rams is their defense. Some talk of the loss of key players on offense in Dunniway, Hampton, and Cotton, along with the O-line (Hint: the Rams do NOT have Popo). But, the Rams will be starting fresh with a bunch of players on defense, especially the D-line. Serra is a well-coached team that will seek to exploit the voids left behind for the Rams. This has the making to be a shoot-out.

This is going to be one tough game for both teams. I might even give the Padres the edge, since they return more players. I, too, do NOT anticipate that the Padres will get "smashed" in this game, unless they make a lot of mistakes and the Rams make less mistakes. First game jitters are anticipated and this game can truly tip either way.

Reactions: Cal 14
I think serra will get smashed like last year against St Mary's.

Smashed? Did you watch that game? Serra was leading in the 3rd quarter when their starting QB went down. As much difficulty as Serra had in stopping SM, SM couldn't stop Serra (at full strength) either.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Serra also made some personnel changes after their pre-season that made a lot of difference. I'm looking forward to this upcoming season, seems like there are A LOT of really good teams, I just can't put my finger on the ones who will be excellent yet with the exception of DLS.

It's been going on forever. CIF just opened their eyes when giving the BJ instead of the selective eyes closed enforcement they've chosen for so long. A very good and long overdue move.

Doe eyes are always appreciated.....

Reactions: bella123
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT