ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be top 5 in the north

I have serious doubts about Martell at OSU as well. 5"10 QB's don't have a great history at that level. The Wilson's and Brees are exceptions. In this day and age it wouldn't surprise me if a kid like this ends up somewhere else. Would have been fun at Boise to watch.

The kid who is working way up charts is Ian Book at ND out of Oak Ridge. Here is a kid who was under recruited and does a lot of good things. He's an injury or bad game away from starting for the Irish as a soph.

I have serious doubts about Martell at OSU as well. 5"10 QB's don't have a great history at that level. The Wilson's and Brees are exceptions. In this day and age it wouldn't surprise me if a kid like this ends up somewhere else. Would have been fun at Boise to watch.

Not many 5'10" quarterbacks get the nod on teams with truly elite skill players. I agree that the inherent bias for taller QBs may lead him to transfer. But, if he's given that chance, I'd say he does very well. I think football IQ, decision making, anticipation, accuracy, appropriate pace and arc, compact release and athleticism are more important than height. I think he's a fair shake better than 90% of the 6'4"++ projects given a ride by Pac12 coaches.

The kid who is working way up charts is Ian Book at ND out of Oak Ridge. Here is a kid who was under recruited and does a lot of good things. He's an injury or bad game away from starting for the Irish as a soph.

He's got an amazing opportunity.

Yeah? But was there ever a movie made because of Folsom's football program? lol
I think you need to refer to my prior posts. Folsom is relatively new to the scene. I wouldn't expect a movie to be made about a team that has been relevant for a decade. Although one about the 2014 team would have been pretty awesome.

I think the SFL should have it's own Comcast channel. It'd probably do awesome being the premier league in Norcal. Every game is a playoff game.

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
True that on the overall caliber of Nevada high school football

That said Reed High School beat up Oak Ridge of El Dorado Hills by 21 points last year if I remember correctly. Their only loss was to Clayton Valley first game of the year at Clayton Valley. This year Reed hosts Clayton Valley and travel to EDH to face Oak Ridge. I have been reading about any number of athletes from the Reno area receiving rides. It will be interesting to see how thing play out in the games this year.

Yes he will but he will also be going against D-1 talent. He did win some big games in high school against elite teams. But his numbers also got exaggerated against a lot of horrible competition (Nevada football is pure garbage sans the Bishop) as well so it's hard to get an true read. Just my opinion on where I see his future.
True that on the overall caliber of Nevada high school football

Ok guys. While the point about Nevada football is certainly valid, let's not forget that about 5-6 games in each of the 3 seasons Martell started there were against Nationally/State elite programs. Not cupcakes. And not just 1 or 2 games. In fact, find me a HS program that played as many top teams as BG the past few years. IMG might come close, but that's it.

As a 3-year starter, Martell and the Gaels have wins over: Servite (twice), Bingham UT (twice), Centennial-Corona, St. John Bosco (twice), Santa Margarita, Chandler AZ, Bellevue WA, POLY, Don Bosco Prep NJ, Cedar Hill TX, Cocoa FL, Kahuku HI, and St. Thomas Aquinas FL.

At least 4-5 of those programs are consistently among the best in the Nation year after year. The rest are known and respected State/National programs. And Martell and the Gaels had zero losses against them. ZERO.

They were 45-0 with Martell as a starter. They were 28-0 against Nevada competition but also an unimaginable 17-0 against that OOS competition. That's over a third (37%) of their games against elite competition. And the average score of those games was 38-16!!!

Give the kid and his team some credit. While they may have the best talent a school can recruit, they also beat some of the very best programs in the Nation (that draw in similar talent). And he was the QB leading the charge. That shouldn't be taken too lightly.

That said Reed High School beat up Oak Ridge of El Dorado Hills by 21 points last year if I remember correctly.

Yeah, but Reed has lost those types of games too. They're 0-3 against Granite Bay and Rocklin. But Reed does field some really good teams from time to time. They hung with Gorman for a half in 2014, which isn't bad at all.

Reactions: ncscalfootball
Yeah, but Reed has lost those types of games too. They're 0-3 against Granite Bay and Rocklin. But Reed does field some really good teams from time to time. They hung with Gorman for a half in 2014, which isn't bad at all.

They have two very good looking QBs on the team at Reed (Emmerson and Horning). I am sure they are letting these two compete although Emmerson started last year and went for 45 TDs between passing and running. I think they lost a lot...all state RB, OL, 2 WRs, and a DL. Not easy to replace 5 all state players. We shall see. They are definitely locked and loaded at QB.

Reed has thumped Oak Ridge the last couple of years. They are a solid football team by any measurement. They would more than hold their own if they played around Norcal.
Martell is easy not to like. Reminds me of a poor man's johnny football. Very arrogant. Tattoo out in HS. Seriously? Hand the ball off and tone it down. You are playing at OSU now.

Reed has thumped Oak Ridge the last couple of years. They are a solid football team by any measurement. They would more than hold their own if they played around Norcal.

Only when they field their top teams. On the whole, they'd be an average at best NorCal program, IMO.

Reactions: bella123
Martell is easy not to like. Reminds me of a poor man's johnny football. Very arrogant. Tattoo out in HS. Seriously? Hand the ball off and tone it down. You are playing at OSU now.

I think he led the team with a strong work ethic which shows a certain degree of respect. I like to see that quality in a QB. If he's the hardest worker on the team, it is a good thing for the team. If he's lazy, living off his god given talents, listening to half of what the coaches tell him, pulling lousy grades in the classroom and hanging with the dope smokers, well then those tattoos start to play to a certain stereotype which is not good for the team.

If arrogance is an issue, how do you feel about UCLA's wonder child? Last I checked, he wasn't sporting any tattoos.

Only when they field their top teams. On the whole, they'd be an average at best NorCal program, IMO.

I agree. They would be a top 200 type team if they played in CA. Yes some years they would crack top 100 maybe even top 50, but on average 150-200 range. Picking on a state that has like 70 schools total and compare to CA who has 2000ish should top 100 CA schools be booking these teams? Or moving up the food chain in CA?

Well, respected QB guru Todd Dodge certainly disagrees with you. He compares him to Russell Wilson. Says the ball jumps out of his hand and that he has no doubt he'll be successful at the next level.

Hard to argue with Dodge and his successs at coaching and evaluating college football talent. He's won exactly six more games at the college level than I have ;)

Nevada football is pure garbage sans the Bishop

Liberty High School in Henderson Nevada beat Westlake from Austin Texas in 2016. Westlake was a top 10-15 team last year in TX. Westlake won 3 playoff games in TX last year too.

Name one NorCal team who has beaten a similar opponent (NCS, CCS, SJS or NS). Excluding DLS.

Last edited:
Grant shut out Bellevue(wa).They were WA 3A state champion with their only other loss to national power Katy(tx)

Last edited:
Liberty High School in Henderson Nevada beat Westlake from Austin Texas in 2016. Westlake was a top 10-15 team last year. Westlake won 3 playoff games in TX last year too.

Name one NorCal team who has beaten a similar opponent (NCS, CCS, SJS or NS). Excluding DLS.

Also Westlake was without their all everything QB who got hurt the week before

Also Westlake was without their all everything QB who got hurt the week before

Injuries, turnovers and homer referees are part of the game. Some teams can overcome those obstacles. Others make it their go to excuses.

New Liberty High School in Henderson Nevada beat Westlake from Austin Texas in 2016. Westlake was a top 10-15 team last year. Westlake won 3 playoff games in TX last year too.

There are exceptions to everything this doesn't elevate the overall product that is Nevada HS football.

Bellevue had just lost the week prior @ Katy Texas.

That's it? 2009 Grant?

Uh pretty sure you said name one...so I did.Bellevue was a state champion...Westlake not so much.Believe me everybody on the national board clowned the Texas guys for losing that game but let's not get carried away.

Uh pretty sure you said name one...so I did.Bellevue was a state champion...Westlake not so much.Believe me everybody on the national board clowned the Texas guys for losing that game but let's not get carried away.

"Uh pretty sure you said name one...so I did."

One victory. In 2009. How many teams make up the NCS, SJS, CCS, NS, SFS and the OS? Several hundred. Not a very impressive resume.

"Bellevue was a state champion...Westlake not so much."

TX football > WA football.

Bellevue was nationally known in 2009. But their best time period was from 2010-2015 Bellevue went 79-4 winning state titles from 2010-2013. Including a state record 67 game winning streak which started in 2010.

"Uh pretty sure you said name one...so I did."

One victory. In 2009. How many teams make up the NCS, SJS, CCS, NS, SFS and the OS? Several hundred. Not a very impressive resume.

"Bellevue was a state champion...Westlake not so much."

TX football > WA football.

Bellevue was nationally known in 2009. But their best time period was from 2010-2015 Bellevue went 79-4 winning state titles from 2010-2013. Including a state record 67 game winning streak which started in 2010.

Still doesn't refute anything I said or what you asked for.

Reactions: sarpar
Without looking not sure, but Norcal OOS scheduling has not been great. Aware of Liberty's W over Westlake. That was a decent win under the circumstances , but its doesn't make Nevada football any better (its still crappy). This is the same Liberty team which got to show what it could do against an elite opponent in the state final?

Nevada football in a nutshell. Canyon springs went 6-4 in 2014 and lost its first playoff game to a 500 squad. Both teams finished the 2014 campaign ranked in Nevada's top 15. That pathetic to be honest.

Flip side to this is every program has guys that aren't very good yet move on because of size.

I agree with that statement to an extent. Most of my focus is on the big men and I've seen a couple of guys that have all the measurables and even the athleticism but lack the burning desire to compete and they got passed over by recruiters.

I agree with that statement to an extent. Most of my focus is on the big men and I've seen a couple of guys that have all the measurables and even the athleticism but lack the burning desire to compete and they got passed over by recruiters.

As to QBs, size has been all that matters in many cases. I can remember watching Colorado and Utah last year and thinking....geez, these QBs are so inaccurate. Then of course there was the spectacle of USC at Alabama first game of the season and the kid from Seattle (4 years of college under his belt). While he was 6'5". USC apparently learned its lesson and have now offered a 5'11" kid who purports to be a 2020 graduate...although he looks like he's 21 years old already. That kid is very consistently accurate and THAT is more important than how tall he is.

Reactions: Bubba3000
This is one of those years the WCAL has lots of D1 talent and namely Serra, Valley Christian and St Francis. Could be a very strong year at the top. I will be intrigued by the St Francis and DLS game. St Francis defense is going to be nails this year as will VC and Serra. Bells won't be as talented as the aforementioned but all have a couple D1 recruits that will b major impact players. Mitty even has some D1 talent. Serra will play Elk Grove, St. Mary's-Stockton and Pittsburg for its nonleague games and that will be a good indication of strength between sections. Between St Francis and Serra are some good benchmark games. I think the three will be top 5 caliber teams. VC early schedule has out of section games but not considered the top tier programs year to year although very good ones.

Reactions: Adam007

ararar, I wouldn't take this person seriously. 11 posts since 2011 with most of them coming in this thread. That kinda thing seems to happen a lot on this site and whenever you see it, the person behind the screen name is usually looking for an argument or to stir the pot. You could name as many wins as you want (there's been more than 1) and it wouldn't matter. Hell, Grant beat 2 State champs and the PAC-5 champ all in the 2008 season. But that's not impressive at all.

Reactions: sarpar and ararar
Hard to argue with Dodge and his successs at coaching and evaluating college football talent. He's won exactly six more games at the college level than I have ;)

Eh, but he's still a respected HS and QB coach. And he personally worked with Martell. I'm not saying he's undoubtedly right, but he certainly has better insight that we do. Then you add to the mix that Urban Meyer wanted him which speaks volumes in itself. Urb has been known to develop a QB or two and certainly has a keen eye for talent. If Tate has the right attitude and is willing to listen to his coaches, I have no doubt that Meyer and the OSU staff will make a pretty good QB out of him. Their track record says so.

We'll see how it works out for him as a
QB at the horseshoe, just my feeling after watching him play the past few years.

We'll see how it works out for him as a
QB at the horseshoe, just my feeling after watching him play the past few years.

Btw, who is that in your your avatar? I've always been curious. Looks somewhat familiar but I'm not sure.

For what it's worth Palin never said she could see Russia from her house. That was a Saturday night live bit. And when did ESPN stop being political? I haven't really tuned in for about a decade because they make everything political it seemed.
Hmm, interesting. In other words, I really don't care about politics. I thought this was a high school football forum. What happened to discussing the top 5 teams in NorCal?

In no particular order, instead alphabetical order, here are my top 10, with top 5 denoted with an asterisk ...

DEL ORO
DLS*
FREEDOM
FOLSOM*
OAK RIDGE
PITTSBURG*
SERRA*
ST. FRANCIS
ST. MARY'S - STOCKTON*
VALLEY CHRISTIAN

IMHO, any of these teams above could land in the top 5. St. Mary's success will depend on the success of their O-line and emergence of their new QB, who will have many resources to throw to, not just Aponte and Tre Jenkins. I could see the Rams dropping out of the top 5. But, I also see a good potential for this team to be very, very good again, if sophomore, Noah May, is at the helm and can perform as well as he has in 7-on-7 tourneys. Playing for the first time on Varsity and playing in the shadows of Jake Dunniway could be tough. But, he or whoever is the Rams QB will have a depth of receivers again. Dewey's younger brother, Yay-yay has his older brother's shadow, but is also small, quick, and shifty. Joseph Fontes, another new WR, qualified for the CIF State 100m as a sophomore last year. The Rams O-line and D-line have a couple of big guys looking to do well. But, its the depth that is in much question, especially if Barth and Jones have to go both ways. If Frampton stays healthy, the Rams will be hard to beat for any of the top 10 NorCal teams, with exception to DLS. But, please excuse my bias political view of the St. Mary's Rams.

Reactions: ararar
Bubble teams for top 10 NorCal, IMHO, include (in alphabetical order) ...

Antioch
Bishop O'Dowd
California
Cardinal Newman
Central Catholic
Clayton Valley Charter
Elk Grove
Jesuit
Manteca
Oakdale

How is nobody giving O'Dowd love? They are a D3 private in the East Bay, who now has set up a pipeline in Pleasanton and the 880 corridor for the top athletes. They have another 5-7 D1 recruits on the roster including probably the highest rated player in the last 5 year in Holland. I hear they have a number of transfer coming in, and have positioned themselves to be the 2nd best private in the section. They play De La Salle, and Freedom, and I can see a scenario where if they beat Freedom, compete with De La, and run through the rest of there schedule unscathed, they could get an Open bid. Didn't think Kaufman would come in and in 4 years have them as good or better than any Parenon O'Dowd team.

Reactions: Ca. Football rules
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT