ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be top 5 in the north

One team then who? Sounds like the NCS, except swap Bishop for DLS.

Liberty (the second best team In Nevada) would have been the favorites in any CCS Open division, any CS division, and they would also be the second highest rated SJS, SDS, and NCS school. Arbor View and Damonte Ranch (3rd and 4th rated schools) would have both been top 5 schools in the CS and CCS. This is all based on calpreps' ratings btw, which tend to be very accurate at the end of the year.

The football in Nevada is about on the level of the middle of the pack Cali sections; despite having far fewer schools.

Exactly my point. 4 sections right there who absolutely play bad football overall. Valid and good comparison of bad football. Solid post.

1 team doesn't make a state or a section good. The drop off from the top team down is huge. Warbone then who in the City Section? Mack then the drop off in the OAL? Nevada has the Bishop then it plummes at a rapid decent.

Last edited:
The football in Nevada is about on the level of the middle of the pack Cali sections; despite having far fewer schools.[/QUOTE]

Should read the best teams from Nevada are on level of middle of the pack in California, because they have far fewer schools. (Not counting BG who is clearly a national power)

The football in Nevada is about on the level of the middle of the pack Cali sections; despite having far fewer schools.

Should read the best teams from Nevada are on level of middle of the pack in California, because they have far fewer schools. (Not counting BG who is clearly a national power)[/QUOTE]

Well no, it should read like I intended it to read. If Nevada were considered a section of California it would be on par with the middle of the pack sections. That was the point I made and backed up with the Calpreps rankings.

Well no, it should read like I intended it to read. If Nevada were considered a section of California it would be on par with the middle of the pack sections. That was the point I made and backed up with the Calpreps rankings.

Ok if you say so, I see zero mention of calpreps and rankings for what it's worth.

Ok if you say so, I see zero mention of calpreps and rankings for what it's worth.

In the post you quoted all that information was based on the cal preps ratings; although I realize now that I referenced ratings without saying where I was getting my info from, my bad.

One team then who? Sounds like the NCS, except swap Bishop for DLS.

Liberty (the second best team In Nevada) would have been the favorites in any CCS Open division, any CS division, and they would also be the second highest rated SJS, SDS, and NCS school. Arbor View and Damonte Ranch (3rd and 4th rated schools) would have both been top 5 schools in the CS and CCS. This is all based on calpreps' ratings btw, which tend to be very accurate at the end of the year.

At the top they have some good football. Not much parity though. Even though Damonte beat Reed I'd say Reed is the better team and probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state last season. They're good but I wouldn't pencil them in to win the EBAL, SFL, BVAL, Delta, or WCAL last season. They beat Oakridge but that's 1 game. Going through a legit league is a gauntlet. Good teams get caught slipping. It's a huge drop off in Northern Nevada from there after Damonte. The best Reno/Sparks team(s) (Reed) only get tested when they play California teams. Same could be said for Gorman. Reeds record vs California teams over the years isn't that great either. They compete though.

Reactions: bella123
Liberty High School in Henderson Nevada beat Westlake from Austin Texas in 2016. Westlake was a top 10-15 team last year in TX. Westlake won 3 playoff games in TX last year too.

Name one NorCal team who has beaten a similar opponent (NCS, CCS, SJS or NS). Excluding DLS.

Grant beat Bellevue in regular season and Cal High gave them a good game (lost by 7)

Plus, any SBG win by NorCal in D1 or Open (or '10 D2 game) is against that type of opponent

"Uh pretty sure you said name one...so I did."

One victory. In 2009. How many teams make up the NCS, SJS, CCS, NS, SFS and the OS? Several hundred. Not a very impressive resume.

"Bellevue was a state champion...Westlake not so much."

TX football > WA football.

Bellevue was nationally known in 2009. But their best time period was from 2010-2015 Bellevue went 79-4 winning state titles from 2010-2013. Including a state record 67 game winning streak which started in 2010.

Bellevue considers '04 their best team, as do national pollsters

That DLS team was terrible on defense to start the season. I remember going to the scrimmage and thinking that they looked really bad. They didn't have a push on the line, and didn't seem to read the plays very well. They were reactive. Even on the national board I mentioned it at the time. They were truly not a very good team on defense to start the season. Worse I have seen in my years watching them. I mention start of the season, because they truly did fix the defense and by playoff time made huge progress and won another section title.

I watch alot of northern NV football and I think the programs mentioned above and BG (a national caliber team in most years since the and a couple other teams in the Las Vegas area play at a relatively high level. Some of the Reno schools have great facilities and fun to watch a game.

Southern CA has some stacked teams this year. Will be interesting if the Spartans can avenge last year. It will be a tough task.

Should read the best teams from Nevada are on level of middle of the pack in California, because they have far fewer schools. (Not counting BG who is clearly a national power)

Having fewer schools can be an advantage, as it concentrates the talent. Imagine some of the teams Elk Grove or South Placer County could produce if they didn't have a school every 2 to 4 miles. The idea that Nevada would be middle of the pack in NorCal given how much the talent has been spread out here the past 25 years isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, IMO. I do think they have some really good teams from time to time, no doubt. But on the whole, it's not good. I realize they don't participate in the top division, but just look how Truckee dominated there for a number of years. They won 4 Nevada state titles in a row, I believe.

Having fewer schools can be an advantage, as it concentrates the talent. Imagine some of the teams Elk Grove or South Placer County could produce if they didn't have a school every 2 to 4 miles. The idea that Nevada would be middle of the pack in NorCal given how much the talent has been spread out here the past 25 years isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, IMO. I do think they have some really good teams from time to time, no doubt. But on the whole, it's not good. I realize they don't participate in the top division, but just look how Truckee dominated there for a number of years. They won 4 Nevada state titles in a row, I believe.

Just a couple things:

1. I wasn't trying to give Nevada football a "ringing endorsement". A few people were describing it as bad, and I'm just pointing out that it's on par with most Nor Cal football. So if it's "garbage" then the CCS, CS, and in some years NCS are garbage as well. I would say the SJS is the only section in Nor Cal that is clearly better.

2. In Vegas (where most of the top teams are) there actually is a school every 2-4 miles, and the vast majority have been opened in the last 25 years as well.

Just a couple things:

1. I wasn't trying to give Nevada football a "ringing endorsement". A few people were describing it as bad, and I'm just pointing out that it's on par with most Nor Cal football. So if it's "garbage" then the CCS, CS, and in some years NCS are garbage as well. I would say the SJS is the only section in Nor Cal that is clearly better.

2. In Vegas (where most of the top teams are) there actually is a school every 2-4 miles, and the vast majority have been opened in the last 25 years as well.

Point taken, but I really wasn't thinking of or referring to Las Vegas -- even though it is in Nevada -- but rather the rest of Nevada, specifically the teams NorCal matches up with fairly consistently. There are certainly Vegas programs, other than BG, that can hang quite well. But let's be real, LV's best programs land a lot of kids from Cali and other areas.

But Vegas definitely has good teams. The Reno/Sparks area produces some really good teams from time to time, but on the whole isn't all that good.

Reactions: bella123
You really think Pittsburg is the 3rd best team in the north? I guess we will find out when they play Centennial how much they have improved.I agree about DLS they have a legit chance at 1-5 nationally if they run their schedule.California has 4 teams who could claim #1 if they go undefeated

CalHiSports is going to have Pittsburg top 10 in the state and #2 in NorCal (DLS will likely begin #4) to begin the season. Oak Ridge, St. Mary's and San Ramon Valley will also be top 20. So that's their 5 at least.

Reactions: ararar
CalHiSports is going to have Pittsburg top 10 in the state and #2 in NorCal (DLS will likely begin #4) to begin the season. Oak Ridge, St. Mary's and San Ramon Valley will also be top 20. So that's their 5 at least.

How they have SRV in the top ten in state boggles my mind. They have a few D1 prdpects but they've had that in the past and didn't do squat

SRV will be very good this year. Foothill offense will be very good but lack size on the line and especially on defense. Monte Vista may surprise. CalHi will be good, but tough to lose what they had. Amador Valley should be better than last year but not a top 2 or 3 in EBAL. I do think the top WCAL teams will be stronger than the EBAL this year though and possibly the SFL. I would have DLS, Pittsburg, St Mary's, St Francis/Serra, Folsom/Oakridge and would have SRV probably in top 10 to start. There will be some fun early matchups like Serra v St Mary's (The rams may have a tough game in the afternoon at Serra).

SRV will be very good this year. Foothill offense will be very good but lack size on the line and especially on defense. Monte Vista may surprise. CalHi will be good, but tough to lose what they had. Amador Valley should be better than last year but not a top 2 or 3 in EBAL. I do think the top WCAL teams will be stronger than the EBAL this year though and possibly the SFL. I would have DLS, Pittsburg, St Mary's, St Francis/Serra, Folsom/Oakridge and would have SRV probably in top 10 to start. There will be some fun early matchups like Serra v St Mary's (The rams may have a tough game in the afternoon at Serra).
Serra vs St. Mary's game this year will be on a Saturday evening at St. Mary's (not at Serra). Indeed, it will be a tough game, but for both teams, not just the Rams. Note that last year the Rams beat the Padres in both Varsity and JV games at Serra. But, I doubt that last year's results nor the home field will dictate the outcome of this game. Since it will be the first game of the season for both teams, I believe it will come down to mistakes, and which team benefits from them, that will decide the outcome. Anticipate a high scoring affair.

How they have SRV in the top ten in state boggles my mind. They have a few D1 prdpects but they've had that in the past and didn't do squat

They are basing it mostly off the result against DLS last season and what they have back. Didn't they lose by only one point?

They are basing it mostly off the result against DLS last season and what they have back. Didn't they lose by only one point?

Yeh but one game of overachievement does not make a season. I'm not sure SRV deserves to be rated top 10 in Nor Cal, much less the entire state with all the sh$t hot teams down south. They have a couple of D1 prospects but they have had that in the past and failed to win EBAL.

Reactions: observer22
Yeh but one game of overachievement does not make a season. I'm not sure SRV deserves to be rated top 10 in Nor Cal, much less the entire state with all the sh$t hot teams down south. They have a couple of D1 prospects but they have had that in the past and failed to win EBAL.

SRV was 6-5 last year and came in 4th place in the EBAL. MV went undefeated last year, winning all EBAL games and couldn't even get an invite to the Open Division. SRV is always supposed to be fielding a good team, but on the field they have lost to Cal High 9 of the last 10 times they have played. Let's just wait and see on that Top 10 in the state hype. They may very well come in 4th in the EBAL again this year, and that doesn't even include DLS.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Surprised not a word about Coach Taylors new school. Get used to hearing this"Capital Christian". He now can recruit openly, is backed by major money and the staff he has put together is the best I have seen from this area. Bob Hoskins and his 51 years, Carmazzi and his decades of experience, Jerry Deloach with so many years at a high level and then CT himself...........Yup I said it, get used to hearing CC and bet you he is chasing DLS.......

I have been following the recruiting a little bit. It has been hot and heavy. Agree all those coaches are accomplished coaches. It will be interesting to see how that all meshes with the school culture.

Last edited:
FWIW -- here's a combined NorCal/ NV top 25 (using 2016 CP):

1. NV (BG)
  2. NorCal (DLS) -- ncs
  3. NorCal (SM) -- SJS
  4. NV (Liberty)
  5. NorCal (freedom) -- ncs
  6. NorCal (DO) -- SJS
  7. NorCal (Folsom) -- SJS
  8. NorCal (VC) -- CCs
  9. NorCal (Pitt) -- ncs
  10. NorCal (MV) -- ncs