ADVERTISEMENT

Why Does Sac State Refuse to Recruit Sacramento Kids

Azanna

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2005
A group of us were talking about kids from sac that never received an offer from Sac state yet they were offered by teams in their conference. I wanted to start a list of kids snubbed by their home school. These are all Division 1 kids that wanted to go to sac state or had no offer from them or anyone else. The last I heard but I could be wrong they can still prop 48

Cameron Oliver
Drew Cobb
Adam Eackles
Desean Parsons
Justin Baker
Charles Jackson
Aaron Cameron
TreShon Smoots
Isiah Pinero
Chris Wreidt
Zach Chapelle
Dale Curie

Their recruiting philosophy is different than most. It isn't that they miss out on local players. They just don't show much interest.

It is a major problem for them in building consistency outside of flash in the pan seasons.

A group of us were talking about kids from sac that never received an offer from Sac state yet they were offered by teams in their conference. I wanted to start a list of kids snubbed by their home school. These are all Division 1 kids that wanted to go to sac state or had no offer from them or anyone else. The last I heard but I could be wrong they can still prop 48

Cameron Oliver
Drew Cobb
Adam Eackles
Desean Parsons
Justin Baker
Charles Jackson
Aaron Cameron
TreShon Smoots
Isiah Pinero
Chris Wreidt
Zach Chapelle
Dale Curie

Not as simple as your post is making it. Drew Cobb was 100% offered by sac state and you have a few kids on your list that are flat out not d1 players. The main thing is a ton of local players flat out ignore and snub sac state. If you call a player and he snubs you time after time you aren't going to keep recruiting. Good local players have never wanted to go there thats a fact. There have been tons of guys who have gone to yuba jc and taken their chances instead of going to sac state. It's amazing Katz has done as well as he has playing in the gym.

Lets be honest... Sac State is a very good D2 hoop program playing in a High School gym. "THE NEST" They play hard and are coached well but you need talent and they just have a hard time getting it. Last year was brutal. I think they only won 6 or 7 games. Hopefully they can get closer to .500. I think that is overachieving with all the obstacles. I've never heard any kids locally who are dying to play at Sac State.
Build a decent arena that seats 5k and you change the cultural and you might have something to work with. Otherwise expect to be a bottom D1 program.

Drew Cobb was offered and it was then taken back because he didn’t commit fast enough. I agree that’s on him but he is now at Long Beach State. If they weren’t in their feelings the kid tried to sign with them. They still had scholarships available when they took it off the table. He is also a kid who’s father played there.

I think Katz has done a very good job, given what he has to work with at Sac State. It is a commuter school with a high school level gym and although that has changed materially in the last 5-7 years, Sacramento was not a historic hotbed for D1 basketball recruits. That being said, I also would like to see more local kids end up at Sac State. It has a good and growing academic reputation, particularly in some departments. They play an uptempo style of basketball that is fun to play and watch. When they are good, they get good support on campus despite the small gym and commuter atmosphere and are building more on campus dorms. Some local kids have had success there (Demps, Stuteville, Dickson). I would have loved to have seen some kids like Zach Chappel, Jayce McCain, Parker Uu, Ty Roberts and others suit up locally for the the Hornets. I do not know why that is not happening. It could be Katz' recruiting. It could be kids just do not want to stay home or play in that environment/school. In any case, I will continue to root for the Hornets, but also agree that if they could find funding to build a 4k to 6k arena, they could really improve the program. It would also help if Big Sky can get better television coverage. The fact that UC Davis has appeared on ESPN a few times now, definitely helps their recruiting and overall program.

Cameron Oliver
Drew Cobb
Adam Eackles
Desean Parsons
Justin Baker
Charles Jackson
Aaron Cameron
TreShon Smoots
Isiah Pinero
Chris Wreidt
Zach Chapelle
Dale Curie
I see Currie is going to CCSF. Did he get any D1 offers?

Coach Katz recruits certain types of kids in Sacramento and its his team so we cant get mad at what he deems good for his program. If he recruited the local kids when they were young he probably would have gotten a couple of bounce backs when they transferred. I know of at least 25 kids that went D1 in the last 7-8 years and not 1 was recruited hard or even a little bit by Sac St. Maybe if they hired a local coach with ties to the area they would get some of these kids.

UCD has separated themselves big time from Sac State as of late. Jim Les could be coaching big time college ball (and maybe that will happen) but as of now they got a ex pro with a lot of connections that has found a good formula. But I think he makes $350-400k (3x what sac state pays) and they play in a very nice facility. Totally different animal. But UCD has a lot stricter education requirements so this limits their ability to recruit as well. Easier to get into Cal if you are an athlete than UCD. That is a fact.

You have to factor in kids have problems at home.
Some of the best kids come from a struggle. With that being sad they wanna get far away from home as possible.
Some other kids think they are top D1 talent. And they feel if they hold out a bigger school with an espn deal will give them a look.

Really think about it, who has more colleges in there state then CA? D1 d2 d3 NAIA You would think every nor cal kid would get a look and be able to go to school for free

To his credit I see Katz at a lot of local games over the years. He's not watching for the hell of it. He's looking at kids who he thinks will fit into his program. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to stick. It looks like they had a good recruiting class. (No size though). Like I said 15 wins is a good season at Sac state. That will keep you employed.

To his credit I see Katz at a lot of local games over the years. He's not watching for the hell of it. He's looking at kids who he thinks will fit into his program. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to stick. It looks like they had a good recruiting class. (No size though). Like I said 15 wins is a good season at Sac state. That will keep you employed.
In 10 years at sac state he’s won 15 games 1x

Reactions: coachlittle
Prior to Katz, From 1992-2008 Sac State had 5 seasons with double digit wins. A record of 15-15 best season. Only 2 seasons with over 5 wins in conference (49 conference wins total)

Katz has won double digits in 6 out of his last 7 seasons 21 wins being his highest . Katz program has 63 conference wins during that span.

Yup.

I believe that would NOT be in the top 10 worst finishes the last 26 seasons.

If he just built some type of relationship with some of the local kids and coaches his record would be better. He might not get them the first time but we have some tranfers that would have went there if there was some type of relationship.

Reactions: treshon
These CSU schools should probably save some money and cut these sports programs that year in and year out have sub .200 winning %. Re-allocate to other academic programs.

Where is he going? He's had better success than any other hoop coach at Sac State. Throw out last year as an outlier. The previous 5 seasons he won 79 games average of ~16 per season. (almost .500 during this period)

Where are you going to find somebody for $130k a year and no athletic budget? Its not like they are paying him 7 figures like in the Pac12. You get what you pay for. If he has a double digit win season this year I don't see him going anywhere.

For the record CAL is the biggest joke of a hoop program around here. There is a coaching staff that needs to be shown the door. Total mess.

I went to a game last year and they beat a very good Portland State team. In fact they beat Portland State 2 out of 3. Hell Portland State gave Butler a scare on national TV in the PK tourney losing by 2.

Last edited:
Cal has a good group of guys coming in this year and may be a year or two away from being really competitive.

Where is he going? He's had better success than any other hoop coach at Sac State. Throw out last year as an outlier. The previous 5 seasons he won 79 games average of ~16 per season. (almost .500 during this period)

Where are you going to find somebody for $130k a year and no athletic budget? Its not like they are paying him 7 figures like in the Pac12. You get what you pay for. If he has a double digit win season this year I don't see him going anywhere.

For the record CAL is the biggest joke of a hoop program around here. There is a coaching staff that needs to be shown the door. Total mess.

I went to a game last year and they beat a very good Portland State team. In fact they beat Portland State 2 out of 3. Hell Portland State gave Butler a scare on national TV in the PK tourney losing by 2.

Sac Player of year, Dale Currie isn't a qualifier. doesn't belong on the list. and like someone else said, lot of the guys on this list aren't d1 guys or at least were not d1 guys outta high school.

Reactions: mistark
I like Coach Katz. I spent nearly an hour with him last year at a coaches clinic just shooting the breeze talking about basketball. He's in a tough situation at that school. A commuter school with poor facilities playing in Division 1. He gives everything he has to his players and they play hard for him. He's behind the 8 ball when it comes to recruiting for several reasons but he does a decent job. I'd be thrilled if my son played for a coach like him.

As a sac state alumni I can say with 100% conviction that it is not a good sport school. That’s not to say there haven’t been good moments, but it’s more of a commuter school with a mixed demographic of young kids right out of high school, older kids who trasferred from a JC, and people going back to school later in life. If I were a good young athlete in the sac area I wouldn’t have sac state as my first choice. If even look at a school like st Mary’s who has done well in recent years. It’s just not the culture of the school IMO

Reactions: Azanna
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT